PDA

View Full Version : Pops Mensah-Bonsu (2nd pick Spurs?)

dbestpro
06-17-2006, 08:39 AM
Pops Mensah-Bonsu
Birthdate: 9/7/83
NBA Position: Power Forward
College: George Washington
Class: Senior
Ht: 6-8
Wt: 240
Hometown: London, England
High School: St. Augustine Prep

NBA Comparison: Bo Outlaw (needs a lot of skill development)

Strengths: Has great strength and agility, one of the most explosive leapers in the college game, he can leap out of the building ... Very energetic, competes hard ... Good shot blocker, he positions himself well on the defensive end to alter shots and grab rebounds … Plays with a high level of intensity ... Takes high percentage shots, lots of put-backs and tip ins … Can throw down some nasty dunks … Runs the floor well, good agility ... Considered a good character guy ... Should be able to become a good role player as a rebounding shot blocker who brings energy off the bench ...

Weaknesses: Extremely raw offensively, he has no offensive game at all … Fundamentals are lacking ... Relies purely on his athleticism for his points, all of which come on garbage tip-ins and put-backs within 5 feet of the basket ... Gets to the line a lot, but is a poor free throw shooter, only converting 54% this year (down from previous years) …. Lacks the dribble drive ability to create his own shot … No midrange game … Defensively, not a good on ball defender, takes too many bad fouls, no discipline ... Must work on limiting foul problems … Grabs rebounds with poor technique (this is a key area for him to focus on) … Is able to succeed at this level only because of his raw athleticism ... Must cut down on turnovers ... A bit undersized at 6-8, but his long arms and athleticism make up for it ... Lacks a great feel for the game ... Lacks great touch, especially outside 5 feet from the basket ...

It is a second round pick that can spend time in Europe.

exstatic
06-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Too confusing. Someone at practice would say "Pop!" and both of them would turn their heads.

strangeweather
06-17-2006, 09:58 AM
It is a second round pick that can spend time in Europe.
Do teams retain rights to foreign players overseas if they played college ball here?

exstatic
06-17-2006, 10:01 AM
Do teams retain rights to foreign players overseas if they played college ball here?
Yes, but almost none of them want to play overseas, so that's why SA normally drafts players already playing there, i.e. Euros and South Americans.

U.S. players only play overseas as a last resort. They would rather go thru camp and be cut, THEN sign in Europe, which defeats the point of drafting them, as you THEN lose your rights to them.

ALVAREZ6
06-17-2006, 10:57 AM
This dude is a beast.

I'd draft him just because of his name, which means "king whale killer" or something like that in whatever language it is.

strangeweather
06-17-2006, 11:43 AM
I'd draft him just because of his name, which means "king whale killer" or something like that in whatever language it is.
Do you suppose Shaq would be offended by having someone that goes by "king whale killer" in the league? :lol

strangeweather
06-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Yes, but almost none of them want to play overseas, so that's why SA normally drafts players already playing there, i.e. Euros and South Americans.

U.S. players only play overseas as a last resort. They would rather go thru camp and be cut, THEN sign in Europe, which defeats the point of drafting them, as you THEN lose your rights to them.
I thought it was something like that.

If we can't realistically expect him to go to Europe, does anyone think this guy would be ready to be a real contributor after a year on the IL or in Austin?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-17-2006, 11:59 AM
I posted about this guy a few days ago in the NBA News Central Forum. I don't think anybody is cutting him any slack. When I saw him play for George Washington I thought he could go top 20. I'm calling it now. He's going to be the next surprise of the NBA.

Sspursin06
06-17-2006, 12:18 PM
he's a badass I'd love to have him. he can dunk like no other.

SenorSpur
06-17-2006, 12:43 PM
I saw him play in the tournament. He was much hyped and though I didn't see him to much, his season highlights were impressive.

I don't know that I would spend a draft pick on him if I was certain I could land him as a FA. Apparently, his game is raw and he needs work but the Spurs have proven they have the system in which to develop talent.

ALVAREZ6
06-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Do you suppose Shaq would be offended by having someone that goes by "king whale killer" in the league? :lol
:lol

Looks like Pops Mensah-Bonsu is gonna have to kill Shaq now.

Nbadan
06-18-2006, 02:42 AM
Pops Mensah-Bonsu has been on the Spurs radar before because he is willing to develop overseas, but he's likely to go as a high second-rounder...

What are your predictions for his immediate basketball future?: I hear second-round pick, maybe low first round. I've talked to three NBA teams so far, including San Antonio and the Knicks. They like his athleticism. He had a really good Chicago (NBA pre-draft camp) last year but decided at the last minute not to come out.

He's a great kid – I know that's what everybody says – but he has an infectious personality.

Rivals (http://nbadraft.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=547452)

Das Texan
06-18-2006, 04:14 AM
Pops is a beast and really came on in his last couple of years at GW.

Totally dominated the league and lead the Colonials to their 1 loss regular season.

He can score, but he is a bit short, although his offensive game would make Shaq look like an artist. You would think he need to work on the finer points of his game in order to make the league.

He has the athletic ability, if I recall he hasnt been playing the game all that long, though I could be wrong.

If he were willing to put in the work toward becoming a good offensive player and the ability to guard on the perimeter, he could really be a useful piece of a top club in the NBA at some point.