PDA

View Full Version : Wolves Not interested in Trent

ducks
10-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Olowokandi back in lineup

After checkup, center says ankle injury is not a big concern

BY MIKE WELLS

Pioneer Press

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Timberwolves center Michael Olowokandi says there's no need to worry about his ankle. But that's kind of hard to believe considering his history of injuries.

Olowokandi returned to the lineup in the Wolves' 99-96 exhibition victory over Atlanta on Thursday night after missing Wednesday's game against Milwaukee in Grand Forks, N.D. He was visiting a doctor in Charlotte, N.C., for an ankle injury that is affecting his knee.

"It was a formality to make sure everything was intact," he said. "The doctor told me everything was intact, and that was it."

Olowokandi has yet to live up to the hype surrounding him since he signed a three-year contract in 2003. If it wasn't his left knee, it was Olowokandi's right knee. Now it's his left ankle that's a concern. His posture has his ankle tilted awkwardly, which is causing problems with his knee.

"It's unfortunate people would look at it as that. I am in the books for the next couple of years," he said. "I would rather be in a situation of playing well for the team for more than that."

Olowokandi, who started Thursday night's game, missed all of last year's exhibition season and played in only 43 regular-season games because of knee injuries. He has been wearing orthotics and rehabilitating the ankle.

"The good thing is, during training camp, we were doing some work on it and it improved," Olowokandi said. "A lot of mobilization through the foot, getting my range of motion going in the foot because it was limited. I was feeling good in training camp."

Olowokandi finished with six points, seven rebounds, two blocked shots and five turnovers before fouling out in 16 minutes in the Wolves' victory.

No interest in Trent: With a good group of players already competing for the backup forward spot, the Wolves have no interest in re-signing Gary Trent. According to reports out of Chicago, Trent was released by the Bulls this week for being out of shape and for rubbing some of the younger players the wrong way.

Trent spent three seasons with the Wolves. He had a problem accepting a reduced role with the Wolves.

Briefly: Wolves coach Flip Saunders held guard Fred Hoiberg out of Thursday's game as a precaution because of a left knee injury. Hoiberg said he believes he injured his knee during the team's scrimmage Sunday at St. John's University.

• Rookie guard Blake Stepp made his exhibition debut by driving the length of the court past four defenders with 5.4 seconds left in the first quarter to make a layup. The move brought teammate Sam Cassell out to half court to congratulate Stepp.

• Atlanta forward Chris Crawford suffered a sprained right knee in the third quarter when he drove to the basket while being closely guarded by Kevin Garnett.

• Garnett led the Wolves with 26 points and seven rebounds.