PDA

View Full Version : Spurs to work out Eddy Fobbs

BrianBird
06-17-2006, 02:15 PM
As a good friend of Eddy's, he has relayed that the Spurs have invited him to workout at the teams facility this week. Eddy is 6'11 shotblocking center from Sam Houston State (05) with a 40 inch verticle. He isnt particularly polished on offense, relying on his athleticism to score mostly on dunks, put-backs, and lay-ups. Despite what he lacks offensively he would be someone to keep an eye on if signed and sent to the D-league due to his incredible athletic ability. I haven't seen this workout mentioned officially but he will be in town monday, and will supposedly be working out early this week.

http://www.nba.com/media/sixers/fobbs_254_050621.jpg

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper229/stills/sj54qki1.jpg

Kori Ellis
06-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the info, Brian!

TDMVPDPOY
06-17-2006, 02:20 PM
if this guy can work on defense he be a beasts, then rebounding, and goin back up hard for a dunk.

javtokas mite show him a thing or two

jman3000
06-17-2006, 02:22 PM
does he have good hands? being able to catch passes in tight quarters is something that would help the spurs tremendously.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2006, 02:30 PM
Apparently he's been playing in China.

BrianBird
06-17-2006, 02:38 PM
His hands are decent, very big targets to say the least. Like i said, he doesn't bring a whole lot of scoring to the table but what he does bring is shotblocking, rebounding, and an incredibly athletic 6'11 frame. He had the biggest wingspan of any 2005 Chicago Pre-Draft camp participant. He's Sam Houston State's all-time blocked shot leader and I beleive he holds a number of Southland conference records as well. Currently he is what he is, a man with freakish athletic ability for his size. Given coaching and time to develop he could be a Keon Clark/ Mikki Moore type player.

jman3000
06-17-2006, 02:39 PM
^^^ that's good enough for me.

:drunk

BrianBird
06-17-2006, 02:41 PM
One thing he would definitely need to do to make a successful transition to a higher league is put on some weight. Last time i saw him he was around 235-240 and although he is stronger than he looks he would need another 20 or so pounds to be an effective rebounder.

T Park
06-17-2006, 02:44 PM
hopefully more Keon Clark than Mikki Moore.

Kori Ellis
06-17-2006, 02:45 PM
He had the biggest wingspan of any 2005 Chicago Pre-Draft camp participant.

True.

Wingspan = 7' 6¾"

TDMVPDPOY
06-17-2006, 03:03 PM
is he the guy on the left or right?, im not talken about the guy holdin the camera

Kori Ellis
06-17-2006, 03:05 PM
Guy on the right in the first pic.

Here's his face.

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper229/stills/z073rwxa.jpg

T Park
06-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Hed be more than worth putting in summer league and working out with the boys all next year.

Rather have him than Sean Marks.

jman3000
06-17-2006, 07:18 PM
You say you know him personally ... how's his work ethic? Does he have a nose for rebounds or does he just use his size to muscle them in?

BrianBird
06-17-2006, 07:49 PM
You say you know him personally ... how's his work ethic? Does he have a nose for rebounds or does he just use his size to muscle them in?

I became friends with Eddy when i was the Sam Houston State basketball manager 03-04. He's a hard worker and really listened and responded well to everything the coaching staff had to say. He would fit right in with the spurs as far as character goes, really great and genuinely good-natured guy. He's a tad on the laid back side, both on and off the court, but he does have a very strong work ethic. He tore his ACL/MCL right before the start of the 03-04 season and worked extremely hard to come back and have a productive senior year after red-shirting that season. He's easily capable of being the best rebounder on the court at any given time, its simply a matter of getting him to focus 100% of the time. I hope he's given an invite to the summer league roster at the least just so people could witness his freakish athleticism. In that department he would easily compare to Kevin Garnett. I'd be willing to bet he is in fact more athletic than Kevin, just not in the same world refined talentwise. He would be a project, but one that would provide some exciting highlight reel plays to say the least.

loveforthegame
06-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Hed be more than worth putting in summer league and working out with the boys all next year.

Rather have him than Sean Marks.

I agree. Whether it's this guy or someone else they like, I'd rather they stash him on the roster than Marks. And that's nothing against Marks but rather wanting someone who has potential.

exstatic
06-17-2006, 11:25 PM
That combination of size and vertical are pre-crash Javtokasian...

SsKSpurs21
06-17-2006, 11:28 PM
holy crap! this guy has go-go gadget arms! hes like dalsem from streetfighter! if he can get an offensive game going, or even just bulk up enough to hold his ground, i can see the spurs signing him for defensive purposes. that way we can use him and javtokas like how dallas uses diop/dampier.

loveforthegame
06-18-2006, 12:05 AM
Here's another picture of him. It was taken in January 2005.

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper229/stills/u2m593v1.jpg

If you go here www.houstonianonline.com you can read some game recaps and the "big man on campus" story (where that picture is taken from) about him. You have to sign up but it was fast.

If you go here www.bearkats.shsu.edu you might be able to find the records he holds. You have to have a certain program and I don't have it. You might not find anything but if he holds records I would think he'd be listed somewhere.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-18-2006, 12:26 AM
Another player whose name I've never heard before in my life. =/

BrianBird
06-18-2006, 08:38 AM
That combination of size and vertical are pre-crash Javtokasian...

Exactly. I've seen him block 3 pointers jumping from the free throw line and below and erase shots at the rim that seem impossible to get to.

also, he's not coming from the ACC or anything but he is coming from the winningest program in the southland conference of the last nine years. He was a key to their domination of the southland conference in 2002 ending in an NCAA tournament bid. He played very well in the opening round loss to Florida.

You can see some video, although it may not be the best quality, at Eddy Fobbs (http://www.collegeinsider.com/marlin/main.html).

Click on the mediaplayer icon that has a player in the screen and when the media player loads scroll down to 2004-2005 highlights. Theres some nice, but grainy video of his dunks, put-back dunks, and highlight blocks.

texasqb2
06-18-2006, 09:03 AM
I went to school with this guy....trust me, he isn't anything special. He tore his ACL and missed the whole season and came back and was softer than Rasho's grandmother. He was just an average player his whole career againt mediocre talent. Thanks but no thanks, he can't even make an NBA team with that height, think about it.

duncan2k5
06-18-2006, 09:04 AM
sign him...we need all the athletic bigmen we can get. im tired of hearing how old and slow we are getting

exstatic
06-18-2006, 09:47 AM
I went to school with this guy....trust me, he isn't anything special. He tore his ACL and missed the whole season and came back and was softer than Rasho's grandmother. He was just an average player his whole career againt mediocre talent. Thanks but no thanks, he can't even make an NBA team with that height, think about it.
I think the Spurs are interested in the physical package. Seven footers grow on trees, but seven footers with a 40 inch vertical don't, not even bringing into the equation his 7'6" wingspan.

If he was different after his surgery, that's to be understood. I'm sure as a fan and student, you had certain expectations for him, and he disappointed you. I'm sure the Spurs have none. They're just panning for gold, and you have to go through a LOT of sand and rocks to get there.

exstatic
06-18-2006, 11:47 AM
all he needs to do is learn how to pump fake it several times whenever he gets a rebound down low
:spin :spin :spin
Well, at least he'd be cheaper than Mohammed or Malik...

CosmicCowboy
06-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Was he a late bloomer or have academic problems? I'm surprised someone with that advertised athleticism, height, and wingspan didn't end up at a Division 1 program...

infinite styles
06-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Was he a late bloomer or have academic problems? I'm surprised someone with that advertised athleticism, height, and wingspan didn't end up at a Division 1 program...

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Sam Houston St. a D-1 school. Southland conference send one school to the tourney each year through automatic bid.

jman3000
06-18-2006, 12:26 PM

that torn acl probably hurt his stock quite a bit. regardless, i think it would be wise to at least give him a chance. if he doesnt work out? fine. there was no high expectations. If he does? great. We get a freakishly athletic big man, who can spell our bigs for short periods of time and (hopefully) hold down the paint.

win - win if you ask me.

clubalien
06-18-2006, 01:59 PM
UTSA in southland

you might remember us making the NCAA tourney and geting killed by standford ;[ on tv. and UTSA is in the top divsion.

texasqb2
06-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Sam Houston St. a D-1 school. Southland conference send one school to the tourney each year through automatic bid.

Yes, but Sam isn't a great sports school. Their football team is D-1AA. The Southland is not full of good players. He struggled against the competition there.

BrianBird
06-18-2006, 08:26 PM
I wouldnt agree with texasqb2 because im sure he saw this athletic 7'0 center and expected him to be David Robinson on the court. He excelled at what he was asked to do, block shots and alter those he didnt. I wouldn't say he never performed well against good talent either. He was key in serveral big games over his career and you really can't look at a box score to appreciate the impact he has on the lane. In 2002-2003 he averaged 2.6 blocks a game. He didnt lose any ability in his knee after the injury, just became slighlty tentative especially early on in the season. He's a friend so i obviously want nothing less than for him to succeed and would be absolutely thrilled if the spurs gave him a camp invite. With the proper coaching and weight training, he could become an exciting defender and rebounder.

Manuismyhomeboy
06-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Texasqb, Devin Brown, enough said

Spurologist
06-19-2006, 01:55 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/sixers/fobbs_254_050621.jpg

:wow He could touch the sky if he actually jumps

TMSKILZ
06-19-2006, 02:30 AM
hopefully more Keon Clark than Mikki Moore.
If Mount Mutombo made it in the NBA as just an DEF player with very limited OFF, then this kid has a good chance with a team like the Spurs. All he would be asked to do is what Ben does for DET. Besides, I'm sure we could get more out of this guy than we have from Rasho, as far as more Aggressiveness, Athletics, Rebs, playing next to TiMVP we could get away with it.

BrianBird
06-19-2006, 09:12 AM
I guarantee he owns no less than a 35 inch verticle. I've seen this man in person block shots that i don't think anyone else could possibly get to. He's easily one of the most athletic 6'11 or over centers I've ever seen. If he ever learned to fully utilize that, he could be a decent role player.

jman3000
06-19-2006, 09:22 AM
i think it would be wise to at least give him a chance. if he doesnt work out? fine. there was no high expectations. If he does? great. We get a freakishly athletic big man, who can spell our bigs for short periods of time and (hopefully) hold down the paint.

win - win if you ask me.

ducks
06-19-2006, 09:23 AM
DRAFT. athletic testing numbers and measurements.

measurements: http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1348

athletic testing: http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1352

he was not there to bad becausse they test that there

exstatic
06-19-2006, 06:33 PM
DRAFT. athletic testing numbers and measurements.

measurements: http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1348

athletic testing: http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1352

he was not there to bad becausse they test that there
Dude, he's been out of school for a year. Wasn't drafted at all, and is a FA. If thye have last year's shit there, you might find him.

texasqb2
06-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Texasqb, Devin Brown, enough said

Yeah but the difference is Devin Brown dominated for the most part his competition. You guys are all getting excited b/c one of his friends is talking him up. Fobbs looks great on paper, but he is skinny and weak and gets pushed around. If he was a decent player, he is 7 foot, he would have been in the NBA already.