PDA

View Full Version : Freakin' Mosquitos

Kori Ellis
06-17-2006, 02:46 PM
:pctoss

I never have problems with mosquitos biting me, but this year they are out of control. I have about 15 bites on my ankles. :pctoss

jman3000
06-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Are there any ponds or maybe a ditch with standing water in it near your house?

If you have a big bowl of water for your dog they might be using that to spawn as well.

angel_luv
06-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Did you not notice when you were stalking? :angel

SpursWoman
06-17-2006, 02:51 PM
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/lawn/products/images/CompleteInsctRTS.jpg

I just bought 6 bottles of this stuff to spray my lawn (today) ... it works for about 2-3 months. It's good stuff...you just attach it to the hose. :)

Kori Ellis
06-17-2006, 02:52 PM

I just bought 6 bottles of this stuff to spray my lawn (today..but it's supposed to be dry when you do it) ... it works for about 2-3 months. It's good stuff...you just attach it to the hose. :)

Thanks.

Do you have a lot of mosquitos this year too?

jman3000
06-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Did you not notice when you were stalking? :angel

I was mostly concentrating on not being seen by TIMVP.

SpursWoman
06-17-2006, 02:54 PM
I have swarms of them ... it's hard to believe they've been so bad considering how dry it's been (no puddles hanging around) but yes, I've got them bad.

And it doesn't necessarily have to be dry when you do it...you're just supposed to wait at least an hour before watering (or rain). But I used that brand last year and it seemed to work really well for a long time.

SpursWoman
06-17-2006, 02:57 PM
It gets fleas & ticks, too, btw...which is good now that you've got your dogs. As well as ants and a ton of others.

jman3000
06-17-2006, 03:00 PM
It gets fleas & ticks, too, btw...which is good now that you've got your dogs. As well as ants and a ton of others.

That one caught my eye ... my dog is seemingly infested with the little fuckers (ticks). The other day I pulled one off of her the size of a dime. Scary shit.

polandprzem
06-17-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm sitting at home most of the time , so when they come I'll be ready. I'll be catching them and killing them by my bear hands :cuss Yea!

Kori Ellis
06-17-2006, 03:03 PM
That one caught my eye ... my dog is seemingly infested with the little fuckers (ticks). The other day I pulled one off of her the size of a dime. Scary shit.

Deuce has never had ticks or fleas. But when we got Yogi, he had ticks. I took them all off and got him treatment. He seems to be clear of them now.

PM5K
06-17-2006, 03:07 PM

I just bought 6 bottles of this stuff to spray my lawn (today) ... it works for about 2-3 months. It's good stuff...you just attach it to the hose. :)

We use the same type of thing, not sure if it's the same brand but it's one of those hose end three month type dealies, works really well....

SpursWoman
06-17-2006, 03:08 PM
My neighbors on each side just did their lawns...so I have no choice but to do mine (I was going to anyway), God only knows what escaped from their lawns into mine. :lol

atxrocker
06-17-2006, 03:23 PM
i dont know what it is but i always have problems with fucking mosquitos. they love to bite me up. hasnt started yet recently but i am sure its just a matter of time

v2freak
06-17-2006, 03:44 PM
They're worse in the spring than in the summer. I use Off

SpursWoman
06-17-2006, 05:22 PM
I don't like to go to work smelling like Off ... and the trek to my car from the front door is through a curtain of them. I spray my yard. :fro

polandprzem
06-17-2006, 05:26 PM
I don't like to go to work smelling like Off ... and the trek to my car from the front door is through a curtain of them. I spray my yard. :fro

hehe :)
Good idea

Mabe they should releas the perfumes which scare off the mosqitos (?)
It's a good idea in some country's :smokin

SpursWoman
06-17-2006, 05:28 PM
That would be fantastic. But some perfumes also attract bees. :lol

polandprzem
06-17-2006, 05:34 PM
That would be fantastic. But some perfumes also attract bees. :lol

yea bees and probably some men, but you never know which one is more dangerous :)

sabar
06-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Mosquitos are everywhere but I've never had problems with them biting me. Only had one bite in the past several weeks and I've been working outside weekdays when they start coming out near sunset. Those all insect killers that attach to a hose work real nice, got rid of a ton of things living in my yard after a spray.

leemajors
06-17-2006, 09:10 PM
tuck a sheet of bounce fabirc softener into your pocket. it repels mosquitos, wasps, and yellow jackets

TheSanityAnnex
06-17-2006, 09:14 PM
tuck a sheet of bounce fabirc softener into your pocket. it repels mosquitos, wasps, and yellow jacketsNo shit??????

I hate when you are just about to fall asleep and you hear the little mesquito bastard flying around your head, and then the sound stops. And you know the little fucker is sucking your blood, so you slap around at your face and hide beneath the sheets, waiting for that fucker to land again.

tw05baller
06-17-2006, 09:56 PM
damn 'skeeters

leemajors
06-17-2006, 11:37 PM
No shit??????

I hate when you are just about to fall asleep and you hear the little mesquito bastard flying around your head, and then the sound stops. And you know the little fucker is sucking your blood, so you slap around at your face and hide beneath the sheets, waiting for that fucker to land again.

yeah my mom forwarded me an email the USPS sent out to their carriers about it. i have a half acre lawn and make sure to use a sheet when i mow the lawn. no bites the last 6 weeks (while mowing the lawn).

TheSanityAnnex
06-17-2006, 11:41 PM
yeah my mom forwarded me an email the USPS sent out to their carriers about it. i have a half acre lawn and make sure to use a sheet when i mow the lawn. no bites the last 6 weeks (while mowing the lawn).Great advice. Will any sheet do, or does it have to be a specific brand?

Spurfect
06-17-2006, 11:45 PM
Watch out for them bugs! Hopefully what happened to me won't happen to you guys! ;)

look if you dare, lol

My BITE FROM HELL!! (http://brendaic.livejournal.com)

TheSanityAnnex
06-17-2006, 11:52 PM
Watch out for them bugs! Hopefully what happened to me won't happen to you guys! ;)

look if you dare, lol

My BITE FROM HELL!! (http://brendaic.livejournal.com)Holy shit!!!!!!

That was all from a mesquito?

Bob Lanier
06-17-2006, 11:52 PM
Sounds like my day. At least it's not monsoon season yet, when all hell breaks loose on the airborne disease-ridden biting fuckers front. Of course, "not monsoon season" is a relative term when it's been in the mid-80s with thunderstorms for the last week.

But, in the long run, you can't win, no matter what you try to use against them. I stay indoors and up-to-date on my vaccinations.

Spurfect
06-17-2006, 11:56 PM
Holy shit!!!!!!

That was all from a mesquito?

i just updated that site with some story to it, i forgot to add it earlier. anyway the doctor didn't know, he said it could have been any bug even a mosquito and that it got really infected! so WATCH OUT! :)

jman3000
06-18-2006, 12:38 AM
i just updated that site with some story to it, i forgot to add it earlier. anyway the doctor didn't know, he said it could have been any bug even a mosquito and that it got really infected! so WATCH OUT! :)

that looks like a spider bite ... you sure it was a mosquito?

before I forget ...

:vomit:

Spurfect
06-18-2006, 12:46 AM
that looks like a spider bite ... you sure it was a mosquito?

before I forget ...

:vomit:

I was thinking a spider but then some people told me if it was a spider then there would be two puncture wounds and not one. I just had one. so I don't know...
I guess I should have warned y'all that the pictures were gross :lol

jman3000
06-18-2006, 12:55 AM
I was thinking a spider but then some people told me if it was a spider then there would be two puncture wounds and not one. I just had one. so I don't know...
I guess I should have warned y'all that the pictures were gross :lol

That's not necessarily 100% true though.

I've never seen a mosquito bite get that big ... but I have seen spider bites get ugly like that.

not saying you're ugly or nothing :angel

Spurfect
06-18-2006, 01:03 AM
That's not necessarily 100% true though.

I've never seen a mosquito bite get that big ... but I have seen spider bites get ugly like that.

not saying you're ugly or nothing :angel

maybe this particular spider wasn't much of a man and could only get one fang in, you know.. he did a half-assed job. I know lots of men like that :lol :lol :lol

not too long ago before this one, something bit me while I was asleep and I woke up with one eyelid swollen, and shut. boy did i look ugly then :lol

jman3000
06-18-2006, 01:09 AM
maybe this particular spider wasn't much of a man and could only get one fang in, you know.. he did a half-assed job. I know lots of men like that :lol :lol :lol

:lmao

rayray2k8
06-18-2006, 03:06 AM
I swear, the fucking off actually ATTRACTS mosquitos then really repelling them.
But I love a good scratch. :D

Hook Dem
06-18-2006, 09:56 AM
yeah my mom forwarded me an email the USPS sent out to their carriers about it. i have a half acre lawn and make sure to use a sheet when i mow the lawn. no bites the last 6 weeks (while mowing the lawn).
Don't forget to put one in your bottom pocket to keep skeeter off peter!

boutons_
06-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Very strange, Kori. I have essentially no mosquitoes over here 410 @ Starcrest, and have done nothing to prevent them.

It's been about 3 years since I've been bothered my mozzies, like waking up with new bites on the face, or molested in the back yard. Even very wet spring '05 didn't bring them out.

OTOH, I was in Beaumont last weekend, and they were horrendously bad. DEET to the rescue.

2Blonde
06-18-2006, 03:56 PM

look if you dare, lol

My BITE FROM HELL!! (http://brendaic.livejournal.com)
OMG!!!! That is exactly what my daughter's spider bite looked like in April. She also had just one puncture wound. They suspected it was a black widow and it just got one fang in. The only difference from you is that her lump ruptured on it's own while we were at the hospital before the doctor had to cut it open and drain it. But she had already been on antibiotics for 24 hours then. She got bit on a Wednesday and we took her to the doc on Thursday and then she kept getting worse so we went to the ER on Friday. That's when the thing finally burst open. After that it started healing. She started feeling better almost immediately after that crap drained out of her.

pache100
06-18-2006, 04:07 PM
:pctoss

I never have problems with mosquitos biting me, but this year they are out of control. I have about 15 bites on my ankles. :pctoss

They have never bothered me, either. When I was a kid, we lived in the swamp outside Charleston SC; they used to tear my little brother and my Mom up, but they never bothered me nor my Dad. I guess we were just too mean. :lol After I moved near Lake McQueeney, they bother all my neighbors and anyone who comes to my house. But, I have never had over 10 bites in my whole life. I have had a few this year. They swarm up out of my grass when I cut it. There's no water standing anywhere on my property (but I only live a couple thousand feet from the lake edge) except my AC overflow, but, it seems like the bury down in the grass during the heat of the day. I frickin' HATE insect bites. I bought my first bottle of Cutter a couple of weeks ago; my Mom and sister live with it in their hand all summer; they live close to Cibolo Creek, which is stagnant this time of year (although probably not after the 4 1/2 inches of rain they have had in the past two days!) but not that close.

Another thing I can recommend is some little spring-looking things that are treated with citronella that you can put around your wrists and ankles when you go outside. We used them when we went to Colorado and my friend that I camp with is highly allergic to chemical pesticides, but she can tolerate citronella. I bought a set for both of us before we went, but the mosquitoes didn't bother me, so she wore both sets when we were in camp (there is usually some kind of water around the campgrounds up there). They worked pretty well. I don't remember what they were called, but I got them at Walmart in the Sporting Goods section; they look like those little coil wristband things you can put on your key ring. You might try to find some of those.

jman3000
06-18-2006, 08:43 PM
OMG!!!! That is exactly what my daughter's spider bite looked like in April. She also had just one puncture wound. They suspected it was a black widow and it just got one fang in. The only difference from you is that her lump ruptured on it's own while we were at the hospital before the doctor had to cut it open and drain it. But she had already been on antibiotics for 24 hours then. She got bit on a Wednesday and we took her to the doc on Thursday and then she kept getting worse so we went to the ER on Friday. That's when the thing finally burst open. After that it started healing. She started feeling better almost immediately after that crap drained out of her.

hmmm... do you live in SA? i haven't heard of black widow's being very common down here. I could be wrong though.

but yeah, it definately looks like a spider bite.

2Blonde
06-18-2006, 08:45 PM
hmmm... do you live in SA? i haven't heard of black widow's being very common down here. I could be wrong though.

but yeah, it definately looks like a spider bite.
Yes, we live in SA. But they thought it might be a black widow because she also have trouble with her vision and nausea.