PDA

View Full Version : Avery : ''Let the players decide the game''

zocool16
06-18-2006, 12:55 AM
The irony is that this same statement would work against him if he were talking after games 3 and 4 vs. the Spurs.

I couldn't agree more, let the players decide the outcome of the game

TDMVPDPOY
06-18-2006, 02:12 AM
aj should just stfu seriously, whiny biatch. we wanted that also, but no refs had to bail them out

Trainwreck2100
06-18-2006, 02:24 AM
Mark Cuban thought that was a bad idea so he bitched and bloged and behold the NBA we have now

aaronstampler
06-18-2006, 03:29 AM
Avery did not learn every lesson about being a good coach and a good man from Pop. I think that just because Avery didn't have much talent but he still carved out a decent pro career for himself through hard work and perseverence, that people mistake this into thinking Avery is a great guy. He's not. He's just an asshole who had a lot of drive and ambition. Remember, this is the same person who told the Admiral that Jesus was ashamed of him because of a basketball game.

dbestpro
06-18-2006, 11:28 AM
The irony. Dallas is crying over the same issues that allowed them to represent the finals. I guess they hope this new flavor of whine will allow them to play against the Miami cheerleaders. It's tough when you have to play with the rules being applied to both teams.

Spurologist
06-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Avery now receives financial incentives from Mark Cuban

LEONARD
06-18-2006, 11:40 AM
<-- Mavs fan

Not whining about the suspension...it is what it is. Debatable, but that's the decision they made.

Mavs are still the better team and there are 2 games in Dallas. :fro

kris
06-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Avery did not learn every lesson about being a good coach and a good man from Pop. I think that just because Avery didn't have much talent but he still carved out a decent pro career for himself through hard work and perseverence, that people mistake this into thinking Avery is a great guy. He's not. He's just an asshole who had a lot of drive and ambition. Remember, this is the same person who told the Admiral that Jesus was ashamed of him because of a basketball game.

Truer words have rarely been written.

dbestpro
06-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Red whine, white whine, boones farm whine, take your pick.

nbascribe
06-18-2006, 12:40 PM
So I take it that when #6 has the jersey raised next season, you guys won't be in the front row?

Oh and just for edification, Jesus didn't play. He was very adamant about doing his Father's work and when that work was being made a mockery of, he turned things out (reference the turning over the money tables in the synogogue and the tearing down one and rebuilding it in three days).

I've said the same things. When on a basketball court or any playing field, you can't be nice. You need to be a total asshole or else you will lose every contest you play in. Being an asshole on the court does not mean you're a bad guy. Stackhouse is an asshole on the court and DWade is definitely a MF. And if you think Jordan was nice, guess again. Don't get it the reference twisted. Successful people are straight up assholes when they need to be.

Oh and DRob was one of the best cursers on the court when things didn't go right at times.

picnroll
06-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Which player on the Sprs is a total asshole?

nbascribe
06-18-2006, 01:08 PM
A complete asshole? On this team there really isn't one this season.

Even Avery wasn't an asshole when asked to do a media interview. He was always approachable even when he was in one of his moods.

That's one of the good things. As long as I've been covering team there haven't been really any butt wipes that I could name. Even Pop can be 'nice' at times.

ATX Spur
06-18-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm liking Avery less and less.

nbascribe
06-18-2006, 02:58 PM
You can't fault him for fighting for his team. What kind of coach would he be then? Try and unemployed one.

angel_luv
06-18-2006, 03:25 PM
My pastor today said we ought to pray for Avery since as he is losing the game, he seems to be losing it. :lol

picnroll
06-18-2006, 03:29 PM
He could try getting his players to not be such dumb thugs nut shotting and throwing forearms to the head on breakaways.

Pop would ream new assholes if his players pulled that kind of crap. Remeber last year when Crackhouse got off the bus and beat the crap out of Kirk Snyder. How well do you think thugness like that would be tolerate by Pop and the Spurs? Obviously AJ tolerates a different level of behavior and play. In the end you reap what you sow.

nbascribe
06-18-2006, 03:33 PM
He could try getting his players to not be such dumb thugs nut shotting and throwing forearms to the head on breakaways.

Pop would ream new assholes if his players pulled that kind of crap. Remeber last year when Crackhouse got off the bus and beat the crap out of Kirk Snyder. How well do you think thugness like that would be tolerate by Pop and the Spurs? Obviously AJ tolerates a different level of behavior and play. In the end you reap what you sow.

My point exactly and if you ever played sports or coached sports, you'd have been in the same situation. People figure because Avery has to be an ass with his players and media that he's being a jackass. No, he's just trying to keep his team from fucking up a golden opportunity. He's not doing anything that Phil Jackson hasn't done or what Riley wouldn't do. A good coach is going to fight for his team. That's what a leader does. I wouldn't respect him if he wasn't fighting for his players.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Let the players decide the game? The league does. Stackhouse decided it was worth being suspended for a game to get in a cheap shot at Shaq.

Shut the fuck up Avery.

Hopefully all the AJ #6 nutriders out there realize that the Avery you guys knew and loved when he was here in SA is dead. He's a Cuban crony now. Hopefully the Spurs organization realizes this too, I'm sick of the lovefest for the coach of the team that will be our biggest rival and threat for the remainder of the Tim Duncan era.

Fuck AJ :td

nbascribe
06-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Let the players decide the game? The league does. Stackhouse decided it was worth being suspended for a game to get in a cheap shot at Shaq.

Shut the fuck up Avery.

Hopefully all the AJ #6 nutriders out there realize that the Avery you guys knew and loved when he was here in SA is dead. He's a Cuban crony now. Hopefully the Spurs organization realizes this too, I'm sick of the lovefest for the coach of the team that will be our biggest rival and threat for the remainder of the Tim Duncan era.

Hoopsfan, off the court AJ is still AJ. It's his job to ride his players. Consider that Pop got rid of a worthless coach who wasn't 'player friendly' and you'd see that what AJ is doing is what any good coach does.

It's not a lovefest; it's called respect. There's a big difference. And if you're going to have that kind of hatred to AJ then make sure you throw Mike Brown and Doc Rivers on your list as well.

picnroll
06-18-2006, 03:42 PM
AJ by defending punk behaviour is enabling it. Pop would not defend a Spur taking a cheap shot like Stackhouse did. Is Pop not a good coach?

aaronstampler
06-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Give Manu # 6 next year like he wanted when he first got here. Kobe switched jerseys numbers, why can't he? It'd be a nice FU to Avery and a symbolic way of cutting ties with him for good.

nbascribe
06-18-2006, 04:36 PM
AJ by defending punk behaviour is enabling it. Pop would not defend a Spur taking a cheap shot like Stackhouse did. Is Pop not a good coach?
I think this is more indicative of AJ trying to get his team fired up. Coaches do different tactics. The Mavs are not a veteran team like the Spurs. Pop would never pull them out of a posh hotel because the Spurs wouldn't dare disobey curfew.

Different teams; different personalities; different tactics to use in that scenario.

nbascribe
06-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Give Manu # 6 next year like he wanted when he first got here. Kobe switched jerseys numbers, why can't he? It'd be a nice FU to Avery and a symbolic way of cutting ties with him for good.

#6 is going into the rafters. It's being retired. Unlike you, the Spurs organization, as a whole, recognize what Avery did for the organization and that's the proper honor to bestow upon him.

And considering that the three players in Spurs history who won a title were there when the team sucked, it's only appropriate. Sean, DRob and AJ's numbers will be symbolic of the first title that THEY won as team members from the old 'guard'.

Shank
06-18-2006, 05:20 PM
If Avery rolled over on this, you guys would be calling him a pussy for not fighting for his team.

Three Lions
06-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Aggie and other wankers, if the Spurs diss AJ are they not too acting with some other than class? Avery was an important part of your club when he was there. What is wrong with recognizing that? If you don't, then you are just as much a petty asshole as you think he is now.

picnroll
06-18-2006, 05:41 PM
If Avery rolled over on this, you guys would be calling him a pussy for not fighting for his team.

Guess Spurs' fans will never have to worry about Pop having to defend three different players for getting suspended from games during a playoff run.

nbascribe
06-18-2006, 05:47 PM

Shank yes they would. That's why the argument is fruitless. When Jeff Van Gundy did this type of thing last season and got fined, people respected him for standing up for his team.

You are expected to fight for your team and sometimes you have to fight a losing battle to win the winneable war.

nbascribe
06-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Guess Spurs' fans will never have to worry about Pop having to defend three different players for getting suspended from games during a playoff run.

Pop isn't dealing with a bunch of kids either. Different scenario.

picnroll
06-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Didn't know Crackhouse and Terry were kids. Thugs? Yeah. Dumbshits? Yeah. We saw how he dealt with Glenn Robinson.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Hoopsfan, off the court AJ is still AJ. It's his job to ride his players. Consider that Pop got rid of a worthless coach who wasn't 'player friendly' and you'd see that what AJ is doing is what any good coach does.

Any good coach whines about a fucking flagrant foul call for TWO days? :lol Gimme a break scribe, quit being such an AJ nut rider.

Look, if Avery wanted to say his piece, fine, he got that out of the way Friday afternoon.

It's Sunday and he's still whining about it. TWO DAYS. 2. Dos. More than one. Fucking get over it already. I don't even think Cuban whines this much. Avery has become a black Mark Cuban - a fucking whiner.

It's not a lovefest; it's called respect. There's a big difference. And if you're going to have that kind of hatred to AJ then make sure you throw Mike Brown and Doc Rivers on your list as well.

You want to lecture me on respect? What about AJ? What about his series with the Spurs? I guess respect means crying to the media about Bowen's "bear hug defense" while you flash your grin and tell SA you love them and miss the fans. Talk about a stab in the fucking back...

AJ has become what a lot of people become when they move to Dallas and get money in their pocket - complete assholes.

As for Mike Brown and Doc...

I have the utmost respect for Mike Brown. He was hired away with class and dignity.

Doc Rivers? Eh. I lost it with the Monty Williams/Doc Tim Duncan recruiting saga, and he's talked shit about the Spurs ever since when he does analysis and color commentary. So yeah, don't have much for him either.

You're talking about the same AJ who as a geriatric point guard was replaced by a rookie named Tony Parker. Promptly talked shit about us ditching him for a young Euro point guard.

Then there's the whole series with us, where that fucker was stabbing us in the back every chance he got by whining about the officiating to the media. Meanwhile he's sitting back grinning his POS cajun grin while Dirk shoots 30 FTs and Tim Duncan fouls out six minutes before the end of a game and spends the whole series in foul trouble.

I'm sick of the fucking blinders you and other Spurs homers have for this guy. He is Dallas sleeze now, and the sooner you and everyone else realize it (particularly Pop) is the sooner we can get back to kicking the shit out of the Mavs on a regular basis.

I'm tired of the lovefest, and I'm tired of Avery crying for two and a half days about his punk ass SG/SF making a punk ass foul and getting busted for it.

Great coaches whine for 72 hours about one play when they were down 18? When has Pop ever blamed the officials, let alone go on about it for three fucking days? Gimme a break.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-18-2006, 05:54 PM

There's a difference between saying what you gotta say and going on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about it like AJ is.

nbascribe
06-18-2006, 05:59 PM
Hey Hoops fan just respect the other's takes. I don't give a rat's ass whether you agree with my takes or not but let's get something straight. I'm one of the few on this board that will call it straight when ANYBODY FUCKS UP.

You don't know me well enough to classify me as a nut rider and considering that Avery has helped my career and I respect him for making my job easier is my fucking right. It's not about a nut ride, it's about being around him and having friends who are telling me things to help make coverage easier. Capish? There's a bunch of us up here who have gotten to see him up close and personal and are just giving a different take. So sorry you that you can't respect an opinion that comes from the heart.

Oh by the way I guess I'm a nut rider because Shaq and I are in the same fraternity too then huh?

picnroll
06-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Mike Brown has handled himselfe with total class. AJ's been a little whiny bitch with his "I'm n whining but player A, player B" type shit. Fuck, he can't even be man enough to admit he's whining, a whiny whiner.

kskonn
06-18-2006, 06:42 PM
#6 is going into the rafters. It's being retired. Unlike you, the Spurs organization, as a whole, recognize what Avery did for the organization and that's the proper honor to bestow upon him.

And considering that the three players in Spurs history who won a title were there when the team sucked, it's only appropriate. Sean, DRob and AJ's numbers will be symbolic of the first title that THEY won as team members from the old 'guard'.

I have no big problem with AJ, I never really like or dis liked him. However I wanted to point out the "spurs orginization" originally gave manu #6 until the media made a huge deal about giving away averys number. So maybe they really didn't recognize what they did? who knows.

Guru of Nothing
06-18-2006, 07:24 PM

Concur 100%

dbestpro
06-18-2006, 07:48 PM
AJ was fun as a Spur. He didn't whine or cry. He was a man with the Spurs. With Dallas, he has been intoxicated by the Cuban whinery. It is embarrassing to watch him cry over the very thing that allowed them in the finals. Bottom line. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

miss paxton
06-18-2006, 08:01 PM
However I wanted to point out the "spurs orginization" originally gave manu #6 until the media made a huge deal about giving away averys number. So maybe they really didn't recognize what they did? who knows.

I hadn't really thought about this before, but it's a good point. I'm assuming, but don't know, that organizations don't reassign numbers that they've definitely decided to retire, but just haven't yet for whatever reason. Surely most of the time the decision about whether a player is jersey-retirement-worthy is made by the day he leaves the team, regardless of why he leaves, and thus the number would not be reassigned. But maybe not. Is it common for teams to assign a number to someone else and then later retire the number?

nbascribe
06-18-2006, 08:17 PM
I hadn't really thought about this before, but it's a good point. I'm assuming, but don't know, that organizations don't reassign numbers that they've definitely decided to retire, but just haven't yet for whatever reason. Surely most of the time the decision about whether a player is jersey-retirement-worthy is made by the day he leaves the team, regardless of why he leaves, and thus the number would not be reassigned. But maybe not. Is it common for teams to assign a number to someone else and then later retire the number?

A lot of time it isn't. The only time it happened was in Chicago with MJ. The decision to retire a number isn't something that is really privy to the public; it's an internal thing. But considering that they retired #50 and #32, logic would have to follow that the Spurs organization will be retiring #6. If the Spurs win another title in the next two years with Robert Horry, you can bet that #5 will be retired along with #21, #20 and #9. It's just a matter of time when that would happen...sometimes years after a player leaves the organization.

picnroll
06-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Does anyone think when the Spurs were going to give Manu #6 they had actually forgotten Avery wore it? It was Don Harris stirring up a bunch of fans that's the reason Manu isn't #6 today and the #6 hanging in the rafter someday having Manu's name on the back.

miss paxton
06-18-2006, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't agree that retiring #50 made retiring #6 logical, but I do agree that once the Spurs retired #32 it made it a lot harder not to retire #6. If it were up to me the only two jerseys retired would be #50 and #44, but if I were in charge, only Hall of Famers would have their numbers retired and IMO so far that would only be Gervin and Robinson.

But I'm not in charge, have no control of it, and ultimately it doesn't affect my life at all, so if the Spurs want to retire #6. . . oh well. That's their decision, and if AJ meets the organization's requirements, whatever they are, then good for him.

CharlieMac
06-18-2006, 08:31 PM
What a whiney little bitch.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-18-2006, 11:10 PM
considering that Avery has helped my career

Shoulda stopped there scribe, you're biased.

The Avery Johnson that hit that jumper in Madison Square Johnson is dead. He's been replaced by a whiny, hypocritical, two-faced little bitch with a cajun accent and that trademark wide grin.

Again, fuck AJ. He stabbed this whole franchise in the back during our series with them, and I'm sick and tired of people saying "aw, but it's the cute little AJ that won a championship with the Spurs, so the knife in the back is okay."

And that goes from posters on this board to biased media types such as yourself and Don Harris right on up to Pop. I could give a damn what the guy is like over cold beers really, this is about what's going on out on the court.

I'm sick of the hypocritical "I'm not going to complain, but damn we're getting screwed and the suspension on Stack was bullshit, blah blah blah" crap from Avery.

Call it two faced, call it hypocritical, but please don't trivialize Avery's bullshit by calling it him standing up for his team or excusing it because he used to be a nice guy back in the day.

Dude's a chump.

caŽlo
06-18-2006, 11:37 PM
well avery just had josh howard decide na game for him.

i wonder what hes gonna bitch about now.

GO HEAT!

flame
06-18-2006, 11:38 PM
I think the irony is in the fact that.....

the players didn't decide game 5.

If you dont think he had reason to complain before - how about now?

td4mvp21
06-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Actually, it looks like Josh Howard decided this game. :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-18-2006, 11:42 PM
I think the irony is in the fact that.....

the players didn't decide game 5.

If you dont think he had reason to complain before - how about now?

Josh Howard called timeout. How much more player decision do you need?

zocool16
06-18-2006, 11:45 PM
AJ motioned for a timeout... what was he doing?, was he trying to say "Don't call timeout"?....

flame
06-18-2006, 11:46 PM
Josh Howard called timeout. How much more player decision do you need?

im talking about calling a whistle with 1.5 seconds left on the clock in overtime of game 5 of the NBA finals that is a questionable call during the regular season in the first quarter of a very tightly called game.

bad move by howard but he shouldnt have even been in that position in the first place.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-18-2006, 11:49 PM
im talking about calling a whistle with 1.5 seconds left on the clock in overtime of game 5 of the NBA finals that is a questionable call during the regular season in the first quarter of a very tightly called game.

A foul's a foul, I don't give a fuck when it happens and what kind of game it happens in.

People will whine and say that Dirk didn't foul Wade. The only criticism the refs deserved on that play is that they should have called it on the guy who fouled Wade - Harris.

But that would have been his sixth foul, so can't have that :rolleyes

flame
06-18-2006, 11:52 PM
A foul's a foul, I don't give a fuck when it happens and what kind of game it happens in.

People will whine and say that Dirk didn't foul Wade. The only criticism the refs deserved on that play is that they should have called it on the guy who fouled Wade - Harris.

But that would have been his sixth foul, so can't have that :rolleyes

There is no way the refs are protecting harris from getting his 6th foul. Dont even -begin- to act like he has respect from the officials this early into his career.

You say a fouls a foul - I dont see the foul. If thats a foul then nowitzki on duncan at the end of game 7 is a flagrant. Im happy they didnt call that. It cheapens the game

Let the players decide.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-18-2006, 11:56 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhahahaahhahahahahahahahahaha

Manu mistake = at least trying to make a play.

Howard mistake = fucking stupid. :lol

aaaaaafjsa;fdjlksafjhahaahhahaah`

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-18-2006, 11:57 PM
Dallas had their chances. Howard missed two FTs with 10 seconds left in regulation, and for the love of God Dallas had Wade TRIPLE TEAMED and he beat it for a bucket.

I'm sick of Dallas whining. They've gotten the preferential treatment for Dirk all playoffs long, and now a team gets physical with them and they've run and are hiding behind the skirt of the officials.

There was contact when Wade split the double team, shit happens. They had no problem calling a foul on the Heat for a marginal touch foul to send Dirk to the FT line at the end of regulation, and he couldn't convert.

Shit happens.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Dirk shoots more free throws than any player in NBA Playoff history, and Avery wants the players to decided the game?

Shut the fuck up you midget.

Solid D
06-18-2006, 11:59 PM
Dallas gets to taste the medicine.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-19-2006, 12:01 AM
Chris Webber, anybody?

Please_dont_ban_me
06-19-2006, 12:14 AM
Lmao.

Avery is grilling a reporter who asked him what he thought about the foul on Josh Howard. "What do you think"....then "don't stutter". :lol:

Avery, keep it up.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-19-2006, 12:17 AM
Avery,

Stop trying to protect your player. The ref called it b/c Howard asked for it. In fact, Howard was walking towards the bench...until he realized he fucked up. Shaq was running to his bench after the call, and Howard walking towards his. You can't make up fucking reply.

There was no signal mixup. Other than b/w you and Josh Howard.

flame
06-19-2006, 12:19 AM
Chris Webber, anybody?

lol i said exactly that to my roommates after he did that.

and yes - "dont stutter"

that interview was even more entertaining than the game.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-19-2006, 12:26 AM
I don't think you can equate that to the Webber situation. Webber acted on his own. Josh was just doing what his coach told him.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-19-2006, 12:30 AM
I don't think you can equate that to the Webber situation. Webber acted on his own. Josh was just doing what his coach told him.

Even I saw the hand signs.

"After...the...2nd...free...throw....call...a...T.. ...". Howard just fucked up.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-19-2006, 12:33 AM
Dirk: "In that situation the refs should know that we don't want to waste a timeout"

Are you kidding me?

It's like Avery and Dirk saw a different game. The refs don't just imagine a timeout being called, lol.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-19-2006, 01:37 AM
http://i5.tinypic.com/14vmbte.jpg

Hmm...is that a foul?

Don't stutter.

Spurologist
06-19-2006, 01:52 AM

Hmm...is that a foul?

Don't stutter.

Media networks would soil themselves over at seeing that picture after saying it wasn't a foul.

Mavs fans disappearing from this forum in 3.....2............1

Please_dont_ban_me
06-19-2006, 02:00 AM
Media networks would soil themselves over at seeing that picture after saying it wasn't a foul.

Mavs fans disappearing from this forum in 3.....2............1

I feel a NBA rendition of the NFL 'catchable ball' about to be invented.

No really, he had no shot of making it...the refs bailed him out. *yawn*

Spurologist
06-19-2006, 02:03 AM
I feel a NBA rendition of the NFL 'catchable ball' about to be invented.

No really, he had no shot of making it...the refs bailed him out. *yawn*

Question: If a player makes contact with a player on that arm when he is going to the basket, is that a foul????

Please_dont_ban_me
06-19-2006, 02:05 AM
Question: If a player makes contact with a player on that arm when he is going to the basket, is that a foul????

Was said player within 5 yards of the goal?

Spurologist
06-19-2006, 02:06 AM
Was said player within 5 yards of the goal?

answer the question YES or NO. It's not that hard.

gospursgojas
06-19-2006, 02:10 AM
I am so glad that this and last series happened to Us and Avery.....

I was never an Avery fan. So what... he talks with a draaawl, and hes only 5'11 and he had to work hard to stay in the NBA as long as he did.

Now hopfully his appeal to San Antonio will fade and I won't have to worry about his number being retired and having the rest of the NBA thinking just about anyone can come to San antonio and have thier number retired.

Yeah he plays for the camera and all but now we are seeing just what a whiney bitch he is..... Spurs fans love him so much because he hit that baseline jumper in the 99 finals... his best moment as a Spur yes. But it wasnt like it was at the buzzer. The Spurs would have had another poss to score. And its not like if we lost that game we wouldn't have just beat the Knicks in game 6....

Avery reminds me more of Don Nelson that Pop

Fuck whiney AJ and his whiney Mavs

Please_dont_ban_me
06-19-2006, 02:11 AM
answer the question YES or NO. It's not that hard.

=(

But my teams going to lose like it always does.

I'm thinking of excuses to become a whiny bitch.

Spurologist
06-19-2006, 02:15 AM
=(

But my teams going to lose like it always does.

I'm thinking of excuses to become a whiny bitch.

so you are taking the fifth in panic ala Mark Mcguire in Congress when asked if he ever used steroids. Got it.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-19-2006, 02:20 AM
so you are taking the fifth in panic ala Mark Mcguire in Congress when asked if he ever used steroids. Got it.

I...did not...make...contact...with that player. =(

Doug Collins
06-19-2006, 02:34 AM
I...did not...make...contact...with that player. =(

If only you could point at the screen with your index finger while saying that.

Doug Collins
06-19-2006, 02:38 AM
There is no way the refs are protecting harris from getting his 6th foul. Dont even -begin- to act like he has respect from the officials this early into his career. You say a fouls a foul - I dont see the foul. If thats a foul then nowitzki on duncan at the end of game 7 is a flagrant. Im happy they didnt call that. It cheapens the game

Let the players decide.

Yeah Harris got no respect from the refs against the Spurs...seriously he got an "and 1" everytime he went to the basket. But that´s erroneous because D-wade decided this game and has officially reached God status in my mind. That dude is fuckin clutch.

RonMexico
06-19-2006, 04:46 AM
If only every Texas team (ahem - A&M) got the respect Dirk & Co. then they would have an NCAA title... seriously, I've never seen a team called for more fouls for hustle plays than anyone in my life and pretty much no respect on the offensive end...

RonMexico
06-19-2006, 04:52 AM

Exactly - Pop also called out Mohammed for that 3 against the Kings... he's not afraid to send the right message to his players... I'm sure if the NBA suspended players for unsportsmanlike conduct (aka needless 3 pointer in blowout) that Pop wouldn't argue the suspension...

Obstructed_View
06-19-2006, 07:11 AM
Exactly - Pop also called out Mohammed for that 3 against the Kings... he's not afraid to send the right message to his players... I'm sure if the NBA suspended players for unsportsmanlike conduct (aka needless 3 pointer in blowout) that Pop wouldn't argue the suspension...
Pop suspended Nazr and his backup for an entire playoff series because of that three. He's the classiest coach EVER. I bet he called the coach of the Kings with an offer to commit Seppuku at midcourt, but since the line was disconnected, he could live to fight basketball injustice for many years to come.

1Parker1
06-19-2006, 07:47 AM
First game of the Finals I've watched fully. I was slightly rooting for the Mavs, because I really don't like a lot of the players on Miami. Though it's nice to see the exact same thing happen to the Mavs that it did to the Spurs in Games 4 and 5, it still pisses me off the way NBA refs so blatantly affect the outcome of the game. At one point in the 3rd quarter, I checked the boxscore, Heat had scored 82 points and had shot a whopping 40+ FT's at that time. Meanwhile, Mavs had shot something like 15.

Yes, Howard choked big time, yes Dallas as a team choked big time down the stretch, however, I am so freaking tired of having games decided at the FT line. Though it's nice to see Dallas get a taste of it's own medicine, Spurs fans were saying the exact same thing that Mavs fans are saying now after it happened to us. :rolleyes

Anyways, I really could care less about this series, however Avery does have a point. If the NBA would just let players decide the game, it would be that much more enjoyable for fans to watch. And Stern wonders why ratings are so low. Even I was getting bored of watching the Heat just parade to the FT line every other possession.

jmard5
06-19-2006, 08:39 AM

*lol* Howard "did" a Webber alright. Not just in the NBA. Read on...

-----------------
So ended the civil part of our dialogue, and Howard -- as you can see above -- clearly wasn't in the mood to discuss it further.

Needless to say, I wasn't about to follow up with a question about his free-throw showing earlier in overtime or his history of making a mistake with a late timeout, although those would have been legitimate things to ask. (In college, on Feb. 24, 2002, Howard was with Wake Forest when he called a timeout he didn't have with 1.3 seconds left against Maryland. It was a technical foul, and Juan Dixon made 1 of 2 free throws to win the game.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime

Hook Dem
06-19-2006, 09:00 AM
#6 needs to be hung in the Mavs gym...not ours! Fuck that traitor! The Mavericks have become nothing more than the Avery & Cuban show! They deserve one another. :lol

nkdlunch
06-19-2006, 09:23 AM

:lol "fighting for his team"? Little mav bitches need daddy Avery to protect them :rolleyes

ctpsb
06-19-2006, 09:50 AM
I know I'm repeating what's been said on this thread many times now.
But it is nice to see Mavs get a taste of their own medicine. At least Wade was moving toward the basket in the act of shooting with three guys swiping their hands at them. Dirk was twisiting wildly in place 12 feet from the basket not shooting with Bowen's hands away from him at end of Game 4 when foul was whistled!!

Also Avery is similar to Pop with emphasis on defense, but the Hack-A-Shaq and constant reference to the officials??!! Not like Pop at all!!

Don't get me wrong, I still believed Pop screwed up with small ball (is Miami not starting Shaq to "match up" with Mavs or are they playing THEIR style of game?), but no way would he do BS Avery is doing in this series!!

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-19-2006, 10:02 AM
The problem is everyone in Dallas is losing it. I wouldn't be suprised to see technicals galore in game 6 if Dallas isn't getting every call from the opening tip. They'll be crying and complaining left and right to the stripes.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-19-2006, 10:03 AM
I am so freaking tired of having games decided at the FT line

If players don't foul guys going for shots at the end of games, FTs won't decide it. Pretty simple actually.

ctpsb
06-19-2006, 10:03 AM
The problem is everyone in Dallas is losing it. I wouldn't be suprised to see technicals galore in game 6 if Dallas isn't getting every call from the opening tip. They'll be crying and complaining left and right to the stripes.

EXACTLY!!!!

I think Mavs are so used to getting most all the calls (didn't Dirk get 20-25 FT's in a couple of our games by the way for all Mavs fans who complain about Wade's 25?) that they don't know what to do when they don't. However be prepared since going back to Dallas, calls will probably start going their way again. And when Dirk gets 25 FT's again, all Mavs will forget they complained about these last couple of games.

1Parker1
06-19-2006, 10:32 AM
If players don't foul guys going for shots at the end of games, FTs won't decide it. Pretty simple actually.

Hmm, I don't recall you saying that after that ticky-tack Bowen foul on Dirk. This one was the same one on Wade.

MadDog73
06-19-2006, 10:37 AM

And this is the problem with Cuban's brand of B-Ball. With every touch being called a foul (or the potential to, anyway), you can't play defense at all.

So, you have two choices:

1. Let the player get to the hoop, and see if he can score.

2. Make him shoot free throws.

Neither makes very exciting basketball. Some contact in basketball is essential to keeping the game entertaining. The subjective "hard fouls" should still be called, but having good refs should alleviate most of the problems these subjective calls raise.

But to have every other possession end with FTs is just crap to watch...

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Bowen didn't ticky tack foul Dirk. Nowitzki dropped his shoulder into Bowen three straight times, and the fourth one the ref called a foul.

There's a nice NBA image floating around out there showing Devin Harris with a handful of Wade's shooting arm, which explains the ball coming out of Wade's hand wildly.

Big difference in the calls, IMO.

1Parker1
06-19-2006, 10:40 AM
But have every other possession end with FTs is just crap to watch

:tu True that. I was thinking that exact same thing as I watched the game yesterday. How do they expect ratings to go up? The average TV viewer would most likely prefer to watch players make tough shots/buzzer beaters in the clutch. Not shoot FT's every possession.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-19-2006, 10:53 AM
If Avery wouldn't have gone hack a Shaq, there wouldn't have been the FT disparity or every foul for Miami ending up in FTs.

Seriously, Shaq shot what, 14 FTs largely due to Hack a Shaq. Don't intentionally foul the guy for 3 minutes of basketball and then whine about the FT disparity, or the fact Miami was in the bonus at the end.

Riley said it best last night - whenever they are in the bonus Wade is going to attack and put the onus on the D to either foul him or let him score, because they can't stop him.

Avery got his own medicine crammed back down his throat, what's the big deal?

SPARKY
06-19-2006, 10:56 AM
It's rather simple. Mavs games should be called with 'Riley rules' when they are on defense and the current bitch rules when they are on offense. Otherwise Cuban will run around on the court in a Mavs jersey and stare at you.

kalikot_boy_kr
06-19-2006, 11:24 AM
:elephant mavs are the better team? what??!!! are u kidding me?? how comes they become better team? hahhahaha!! u mavs fan are just trashy idiot!!!!! hahahha! :elephant

whottt
06-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Just to chime in on when the Spurs gave Manu AJ's jersey...

Beyond all doubt the Spurs and Pop new it was AJ's jersey...

At the press conference when Pop(who was still the GM back then IIRC) handed Manu the jersey, he said, "the last guy that wore that jersey hit a shot to win a championship".

Without a doubt the Spurs knew it was AJ's jersey and had no intentions of retiring that number and it was Don Harris that stirred up everyone about it.

What was AJ's quote about the whole thing?

"Let him make his own number"

A quote which Manu immediately stuck up AJ's ass.

20 was >>>>>>>>>>>> 6 after 2 years and it's actually an embarrasing slight to Manu that makes Spurs fans and org look fucking clueless.

LEONARD
06-19-2006, 11:58 AM
:elephant mavs are the better team? what??!!! are u kidding me?? how comes they become better team? hahhahaha!! u mavs fan are just trashy idiot!!!!! hahahha! :elephant

http://www.manningkrull.com/lj/jules.jpg

SPARKY
06-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Just to chime in on when the Spurs gave Manu AJ's jersey...

Beyond all doubt the Spurs and Pop new it was AJ's jersey...

At the press conference when Pop(who was still the GM back then IIRC) handed Manu the jersey, he said, "the last guy that wore that jersey hit a shot to win a championship".

Without a doubt the Spurs knew it was AJ's jersey and had no intentions of retiring that number and it was Don Harris that stirred up everyone about it.

What was AJ's quote about the whole thing?

A quote which Manu immediately stuck up AJ's ass.

20 was >>>>>>>>>>>> 6 after 2 years and it's actually an embarrasing slight to Manu that makes Spurs fans and org look fucking clueless.

Dude, it's a fucking number.

picnroll
06-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Avery's greatest quotes:

"Jesus would be ashamed of you"
What was the Parker one? "Don't send a boy to do a man's job"?

Avery is the Yogi Berra of low class remarks.

Supergirl
06-19-2006, 01:13 PM
Yeah, AJ has really pissed me off. He's become Cuban-ized, rather than learning from Pop, who seemingly is the only coach who DOESN'T whine about the calls and the refs, even when they're off. Just STFU and play through it, AJ. The better team finds a way to win. When you don't complain when you're winning and suddenly you complain when you lose, it just makes you look like an asshole. There were plenty of questionable calls that got the Mavs to where they are today, but you don't see them complaining about it. And Dirk gets away with whatever he wants most of the time. So STFU and play through it. Play the way the game is being called already. Get over it.

MadDog73
06-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Dude, it's a fucking number.

I could care less if AJ's number is retired or not, the only number's I care about are #50, #21, and #20.

#9 will be up there too, but that's awhile away.

It's rather simple. Mavs games should be called with 'Riley rules' when they are on defense and the current bitch rules when they are on offense. Otherwise Cuban will run around on the court in a Mavs jersey and stare at you.

:lol I think that's in Cuban's new, revised "Official Rules."

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Yeah, AJ has really pissed me off. He's become Cuban-ized, rather than learning from Pop, who seemingly is the only coach who DOESN'T whine about the calls and the refs, even when they're off.

He's not becoming Cubanized, some of you are just waking up to the real AJ.

He trashed Parker when he got here and replaced him, he said crap about Manu and the jersey #, the list goes on and on. He's a punk. Always has been.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-19-2006, 01:27 PM
AJ wasn't exactly loved by his teammates and coaching staff here.

He was more so tolerated.

George Gervin's Afro
06-19-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm shaking my Avery Johnson jersey in anger!!! :wakeup

pache100
06-19-2006, 01:57 PM

IF they are going to do that...and I have always supported the idea up until now...they would be wise to wait at least a couple more years to do so. Wait until this post season is not such a bitter taste in the fans' mouths. I would hate to see Avery get booed as his jersey in the rafters was being unveiled. That would suck.

I was at David's and Sean's jersey retirement ceremonies. Right now, I would not attend one for Avery.

AJ wasn't exactly loved by his teammates and coaching staff here.

He was more so tolerated.

That is not completely true. There was a couple of people who did not love him, but most did.

Fabbs
06-19-2006, 02:01 PM
There's a nice NBA image floating around out there showing Devin Harris with a handful of Wade's shooting arm, which explains the ball coming out of Wade's hand wildly.

Please give url when you can AHF.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Please give url when you can AHF.

Hmm...is that a foul?

Don't stutter.

Fabbs
06-19-2006, 02:12 PM
D 'Oh!

Thanks Please_dont_ban_me.
Priceless,armed with this I can continue on with some other brainiacs I'm discussing with on another board.
Kobe Worshipping Lakers who claim Wade is no where near Kobmes ability, did not get touched on final shot, etc.

Speaking of calls how about the two FTs Howard got (missed both) when it appears Shaq altered his shot completely cleanly?

Also the Floppin Frauline sitting on the floor pouting. I replayed. He just fell down, there was no foul whatsoever. (the one where he went 1-2)

Mavtek
06-19-2006, 02:29 PM
We can only hope we a get a Game 7 just like SA got at home at this point. One that San Antonio lost fair and square.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Game 6/7 in the Spurs series were ref'd good.

I see the same happening in this series. Especially after the timeout incident, I bet the refs "let the players decide the game" which will hurt Dallas in my humble opinion. If it gets physical, Posey Shaq zo and Haslem will make you there bitches. Stick to fadeaway jumpshots from 18 feet, k?

ambchang
06-19-2006, 02:58 PM
There is also another picture with Dirk fouling him.
http://espn.go.com/photo/2006/0618/nba_g_wade_395.jpg
So he was fouled twice.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-19-2006, 03:07 PM
I sent the Harris/Wade photo to some coworkers complaining about the officiating, and one accused me of photoshopping it. :lol It's straight from NBA.com

Fabbs
06-19-2006, 04:01 PM
I sent the Harris/Wade photo to some coworkers complaining about the officiating, and one accused me of photoshopping it. :lol It's straight from NBA.com

I showed it to the LakerKobe Worshippers/Wade-Shaq Haters. Mostly shut them up, altho one claims the refs should not have called the foul on Novitski or Harris, just as the refs did not call Duncans gropers at the end of Gm 7. :rolleyes

pjjrfan
06-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Which player on the Sprs is a total asshole?
Ahhhh, Pop. And I love the guy, but if you thought Avery did that reporter bad, remember Pop last year and in years past has embarrased and humiliated a lot more reporters than Avery has. Pop's thing is winning, if anyone isn't on the same page, they learn real quick or are gone real quick.

Fabbs
06-19-2006, 11:02 PM
Please_dont_ban_me, AHF and all lovers of fairly reffed hoop,

Why are there photos galore of all game ending play scenarios in 2006 Playoffs except for the Manu drive and Tim Duncar attempted putback Gm 7?
Including the GNob foul of Dirk just prior.

Spurologist
06-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Breaking NEWS

Just got word from Gorilla's daily newspaper, the Gorilla Gazette. The number one victim for most wanted for gorilla gang raping is out.

Here he is:

Mark Cuban

Shank
06-19-2006, 11:35 PM
How many times are you going to post that unfunny bullshit?

Please_dont_ban_me
06-20-2006, 12:20 AM
Please_dont_ban_me, AHF and all lovers of fairly reffed hoop,

Why are there photos galore of all game ending play scenarios in 2006 Playoffs except for the Manu drive and Tim Duncar attempted putback Gm 7?
Including the GNob foul of Dirk just prior.

I don't get it.

Are you a Spurs fan asking why no pics of those fouls exist, or anti-Spurs wondering why we're only focusing on these pics and not ones from the Mavs/Spurs series.

FUCKMARKCUBAN
06-20-2006, 02:37 AM
How many times are you going to post that unfunny bullshit?

this is the only time i will agree with you...... anyhow fuck cuban!

Fabbs
06-20-2006, 11:06 AM
I don't get it.

Are you a Spurs fan asking why no pics of those fouls exist, or anti-Spurs wondering why we're only focusing on these pics and not ones from the Mavs/Spurs series.

Spurs fan 100%. Find it very weird that no pics exist of both the Manu drive (looked like Floppin Frauline got an arm on him, which i would not object to IF the FF did not get his game altering gifts esp in Gm 3 etc) and the following Tim Dunkan attempted putback. Or do pics exist of both? Well of course they exist, i mean why are the not available to public like all the rest are?

Manu clearly stated that his reasoning for not throwing it out to Big Shot Bob was that if he (Manu) missed, he knew Duncan would be there for the potential putback. Which he was.