PDA

View Full Version : Express-News: Spurs to conduct workouts for draft prospects

Kori Ellis
06-18-2006, 03:39 AM
Spurs to conduct workouts for draft prospects

Web Posted: 06/18/2006 12:00 AM CDT
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA061806.8C.BKNspurs.camp.123d468.html

With the NBA draft 10 days away, the Spurs have scheduled workouts this coming week at their practice facility for a number of prospective draftees.

The Spurs traded their first-round selection in this year's draft to the Knicks as part of the 2005 deal that sent Malik Rose to New York and brought center Nazr Mohammed to San Antonio. They have the 29th pick in the second round, the 59th of 60 selections that will be made by the 30 NBA teams on June 28.

The 2005 champions have not ruled out trading into the first round.

"We're as prepared as we are for any draft," assistant general manager Sam Presti said. "And we're prepared to break into the first round if there is an opportunity for a select group of players. We're also prepared if the 59th pick is our one plate appearance."

The team's basketball operations staff spent the weekend conducting a minicamp for a number of free agents, three of whom have committed to participating on the team the Spurs will send to the Rocky Mountain Revue summer league, in Salt Lake City, July 15-21.

The camp also gave the club's talent evaluators a chance to assess several other players who already had committed to summer league participation with other teams.

Will Conroy, a 6-foot-2 point guard from Washington who played last season for Tulsa of the National Basketball Development League; Kennedy Winston, a 6-7 small forward from Alabama who played last season in the Spanish professional league; and Maceo Baston, a 6-10 power forward from Michigan who played last season for EuroLeague runner-up Maccabi Tel Aviv all have committed to play for the Spurs in Salt Lake City.

Other players at the weekend minicamp included Andre Brown, a 6-9 forward from DePaul who played last season in Korea; Roger Mason, a 6-5 shooting guard from Virginia who played last season in Israel; Mamatou Diarra, a 6-6 small forward and a member of the French national team; and Eddie Fobbs, a 7-foot center from Sam Houston State who played last season in Korea

Kori Ellis
06-18-2006, 03:39 AM
Kennedy Winston, I believe the Spurs wanted him last summer. I don't remember exactly what happened. So it's interesting that he's going to be on the summer league team.

ChumpDumper
06-18-2006, 03:43 AM
Maceo Baston and Andre Brown?

They're on the right track.

I never thought Baston would consider leaving Europe.

Pretty funny that they talk about draft workouts and all they list are free agents.

T Park
06-18-2006, 03:59 AM
Damn, Baston?

Isn't he, pretty good?

T Park
06-18-2006, 04:03 AM
Roger Mason, a 6-5 shooting guard from Virginia who played last season in Israel

Interesting. Almost reminds me of Roger Mason Jr, a defensive player the Spurs tried to acquire.

ChumpDumper
06-18-2006, 04:07 AM
Same guy. Looks like he's shooting pretty well over there.

timvp
06-18-2006, 04:09 AM
Will Conroy -- His potential is to be a Jason Hart type player. Wouldn't be horrible as a third point guard if the Spurs are to trust Beno Udrih.
Kennedy Winston -- Spurs wanted him last summer. Has decent size but pretty skinny the last time I saw him. Could be a decent project.
Maceo Baston -- Has played well in Europe but but his numbers aren't spectacular. I've never seen anything out of him that screams NBA.
Andre Brown -- Super athlete but is soft. Also doesn't have the mobility to be a Long Three. If the Spurs are going for his style, I'd rather go with Sharrod Ford.
Roger Mason -- He has pretty good skill but I think he's too small to make the team. The Spurs don't need anymore 6'5 guards.
Mamatou Diarra -- Never heard of his but pepto-bismol should help him out.
Eddie Fobbs -- Project in the Keith Closs mold.

Leetonidas
06-18-2006, 04:09 AM
Maceo Baston is like 30 years old though, no?

ChumpDumper
06-18-2006, 04:14 AM
Conroy is ok but far from the most sure-handed point I saw in the D-League last season. I would choose at least three other guys over him, but the Spurs have had their eyes on him.

exstatic
06-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Maceo Baston? What, John Havlicek wasn't available? This is a head-scratcher, much like Goldwire a few years ago. My first thought in both cases was "Hey, I remember watching him in The Dance...A DECADE AGO!". Maybe this is a favor that Pop/RC are throwing to his agent to get access to/a visit from another player that they really want.

Bruno
06-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Mamatou Diarra is an average player. I don't see him as nba material.
My guess is that he did a workout mainly because he scored 33 points against Mahinmi for the last game of the season and because he was at San Antonio (he is one of the best friend of Parker).

venitian navigator
06-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Maceo Baston? What, John Havlicek wasn't available? This is a head-scratcher, much like Goldwire a few years ago. My first thought in both cases was "Hey, I remember watching him in The Dance...A DECADE AGO!". Maybe this is a favor that Pop/RC are throwing to his agent to get access to/a visit from another player that they really want.

If I remember correctly he played really, really well in Eurolegue...one of the best of Maccabi these last years (and jumps a lot).
Phiscally, he's more than o.k. also for the NBA standards.. but like a small forward. However, I like to see him triyng the summer league (but having in mind he should try like a small forward...)

Gtown
06-19-2006, 12:18 AM
My boy Michael Harris also worked out. He's 6'6 and strong as hell. He went to school at Rice and played in the Ukraine this year. He was on the Mavs summer league squad last year, hopefully he'll be on the Spurs this time around.

Spurologist
06-19-2006, 01:49 AM
Kennedy Winston, I believe the Spurs wanted him last summer. I don't remember exactly what happened. So it's interesting that he's going to be on the summer league team.

I loved his game at Bama. Spurs need to get a great look at the guy. I'll wait and see what he does in the summer league. Should be interesting

Ocotillo
06-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Eddie Fobbs -- Project in the Keith Closs mold.

Flea?? :lol

Seriously, thank you for the updates.

MoSpur
06-19-2006, 01:27 PM
I saw the Raptors play in Denver last year at the very start of the season. I caught Roger Mason's arm band that read Mase Jr. #5. I gave it to this little kid who was dying for it. LOL