PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Gets A Rock (Serves Them Right!)

Nbadan
06-18-2006, 01:32 PM
So the new GOP talking point is to point out how much money they recently gave the Katrina victims in NO, while the victims of other disasters, like the Iowa tornados and other hurricane victims in Florida got nothing...

DES MOINES, Iowa - The Bush administration has denied Governor Tom Vilsack's request for federal aid for Iowa's counties affected by severe weather in April.

Vilsack had asked for Johnson, Jones and Muscatine counties to receive Presidential Disaster Declarations after a series of tornados swept across eastern Iowa, killing one and causing millions of dollars in damage. The declaration would have made federal money available for housing assistance and repairs.

Vilsack says he was -- quote -- "extremely disappointed" in Bush and would consider appealing the decision.

WOI (http://www.woi-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5042132)

What they don't tell you is that the majority of the money that Republicans, who claim to care so much for the people of this country, allocated more money for the war in Iraq, building bridges, opening schools, building power plants, supplying hospitals, and yes, even subsidizing cheap gas for Iraqis.

fyatuk
06-19-2006, 12:10 AM
Just the sound of that doesn't sound worthy of being declared a disaster. Not that I know all that much about it. Just doesn't seem like something that should need federal money.

Can't help everyone. I already pay about like 50% of my salary into various taxes.