PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Jackson: Crazy like a fox

Kori Ellis
10-15-2004, 01:15 PM
INDIANAPOLIS -- Stephen Jackson pauses when asked to name the craziest thing he's ever done. "That's a tough one. I've done a lot of crazy things," the Pacers swingman said with a chuckle Wednesday after practice. "Let's see ... Well, one time I put salt in my mom's soda."

Somehow we think Jackson might be holding back on us. But that's OK. We already know the craziest thing he's ever done. In the summer of 2003 Jackson turned down a three-year, $10 million contract offer from the Spurs -- with whom he had just won a title -- in hopes of getting a richer deal on the free-agent market. He struck out and wound up settling for a one-year deal worth $1.1 million with the lowly Hawks.

The seeming miscalculation instantly made Jackson the poster child for free-agent folly. He and his agent, Dan Fegan, were roundly second-guessed (including by yours, truly). After all, Jackson had been a basketball nomad over the previous six years, toiling in hoops backwaters like Venezuela and the CBA, and had even been waived by the Grizzlies before finding a home with the Spurs. By remaining in San Antonio he would have had $10 million in the bank, a chance to play for an NBA ring every year and all those wide open looks created by playing alongside Tim Duncan. In Atlanta, he had ... what, exactly? Free rein to hoist shots for a team going nowhere and a chance to make regular visits to Friedman's Shoes?

But Jackson, to his credit, played hard last year at both ends, averaged a career-high 18.1 points per game and turned the gamble into gold. In July he was signed to a six-year, $40 million deal as part of a sign-and-trade with the Pacers for Al Harrington. Now Jackson is the one laughing last, as he gets his money and a chance to play for a championship contender. "It's a blessing," he says. "To be here in Indiana, to have contract security for myself and my family, it all worked out perfect."

Jackson, who will back up Reggie Miller, admits there were plenty of times last season when he wished he had taken San Antonio's offer. He knows he could have blown out a knee in Atlanta. But he also says the urgency of the situation helped bring out the best in him. "I've been living on the edge all my life, from coming out of high school early, not having any test scores, not being able to go to college," Jackson says. "I'm definitely a risk-taker. Like I always say, when pressure comes I make love to it."

Hmmm. That's more information than we needed to know. But if Jackson can bring that same mentality to the Pacers, and drain some big 3-pointers along the way, it's not crazy to think he could soon have another NBA ring to go with all those millions.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/marty_burns/10/15/jackson/

picnroll
10-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Seeing Jack in that gay Pacer's uniform is going to be painful.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2004, 01:25 PM
It was certainly a gamble, but going to a team with gobs of capspace was the best way to do it.

timvp
10-15-2004, 01:28 PM
Jack is going to go for 30 the first time the Spurs play the Pacers.

ducks
10-15-2004, 01:29 PM
not with bowen on him or manu

exstatic
10-15-2004, 01:37 PM
Word, ducks. Pop won't let that happen. Neither will Jermaine. :lol

boutons
10-15-2004, 01:52 PM
"seeming miscalculation" is BS. It WAS a miscalculation, then, now, forever, that cost Jackson $2M last season.

That Stephen got a good contract later doesn't re-write history. Neither Jackson nor Fegan knew in Oct 03 that 04 would work out ok.

Jackson's a ballplayer with not many other skills or basketball savvy, but he can shoot. The comment that I think most fits is that Stephen "keeps both teams in the game", which is why nobody else but the disaster aka ATL touched him in free agency.

Let's see how he does with IND, a great chance for him. Good luck, Sjax.

Solid D
10-15-2004, 07:09 PM
Mike Brown knew Jack was a good investment. :hat

pooh
10-15-2004, 09:15 PM
Seeing Jack in that gay Pacer's uniform is going to be painful.

Jack is going to go for 30 the first time the Spurs play the Pacers.

Answer to quote one: It won't be painful and the Pacers do not have gay uniforms.
Answer to quote two: Sounds like another GTG and get MORE people to show up this time.

picnroll
10-15-2004, 09:23 PM
What are the odds that pooh and Carlisle will be pimping Jack for 6th man this year?

pooh
10-15-2004, 10:37 PM
What are the odds that pooh and Carlisle will be pimping Jack for 6th man this year?

Jackson will probably be starting by Christmas, so the odds of that happening are slim and none. But you never know.