PDA

View Full Version : Comment: Put more controls on the news media

Nbadan
06-18-2006, 02:09 PM
This editorial struck me as highly Ironic in today's local fish-wrap. According to Richard Brinkley, a member of a San Antonio's entry-controlled community

Comment: Put more controls on the news media
Web Posted: 06/18/2006 12:00 AM CDT
Richard D. Brinkley
Special to the Express-News

“Only terrorists will win if U.S. endangers rights” is the title of a June 5 editorial. Under the headline: “The press — and the country — would be weakened if journalists were prosecuted for publishing leaks.”

These statements are an illustration of the arrogance (and dishonesty) of the press. In actuality, the press and the country would be strengthened if so-called journalists were prosecuted for publishing leaks.

Members of the news media do not represent the American people; they were not elected. Members of the news media represent their employers. In many instances, the employer promotes dishonest behavior (witness CBS, the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, etc.).

It is appropriate that members of the news media be held to the same standards of every other citizen. What right does a member of the news media have to a “free pass”? On too many occasions, members of the news media fabricated sources and stories. On too many occasions, these fabrications have been politically motivated.

When I read or hear a story that includes the terms “unnamed sources” or “anonymous sources,” I assume the member of the news media fabricated either the source or the story or both. Why? Because it has happened too often.

Newspaper circulation is dropping in the country. The major TV networks news programs' viewership is dropping. People are obtaining their news from reliable cable networks and the Web. Why? Because of the dishonesty, arrogance and so-called elitism of members of the so-called mainstream news media. Members of the news media have irreparably harmed their own profession.

I want a free and honest news media. Freedom cannot exist without some regulation; else we have what we see today: an out-of-control news media that are dishonest, partisan and elitist, held to no standard of professional behavior.

Holding members of the news media responsible for publishing classified information received from so-called “sources” is the right thing to do. Requiring members of the news media to reveal sources is the right thing to do (at least we'll know the source wasn't fabricated).

Until we hold the news media accountable and until the news media hold their members accountable, the term “journalistic ethics” will always be a contradiction.

Richard D. Brinkley lives in Fair Oaks Ranch.

The only good media is a media that thinks the way I do. It always amazes me what people attach their good names too. This guy should be George Dickersoned.

:rolleyes