PDA

View Full Version : Momentum changes and it could happen again

Mavs<Spurs
06-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Some Finals are more difficult to read than others.

Last year's finals with the Spurs and the Pistons was difficult to read.
And it seems eerily similar to this year's finals.

Game 1, the road team started off tough. Then, the home team took over down the stretch and began to dominate.

Game 2, the home team trampled on the road team.

Game 3 started as a competitive game (the road team had momentum from winning the first two games), but the home team took the game.

Game 4 the home team demolished the road team. Momentum has now clearly swung.

Game 5 was competitive and went into overtime. The road team was stung by the last loss and played much better. In our series last year, we barely won. This year, you all (Mavs) barely lost.

I freely admit that I have been wrong a lot so far in this finals.

Going in, I thought that Miami's high percentage shots (Wade at the rim and Shaq's dunks) would overcome Miami's propensity to turn the ball over.

Games 1 and 2, Dallas outplayed Miami by a mile.
The vast majority of game 3, Dallas outplayed Miami.

After all that evidence, I changed my viewpoint. Dallas looked like the much, much better team.

However, in game 4, Miami dominated Dallas. Moreover, Dallas lost one of its best bench players and Miami is tough at home. So, it looked like a tough game, but Miami would be a slight favorite.

After winning game 5, at this point, does it not appear that Miami will win the series?

After games 3,4 and 5, should I still insist that Dallas is much, much better than Dallas? Dallas now has 2 elimination games.

It is a huge change to move the series back to Dallas. Momentum seems to follow the home team. So, it is more than possible that the change from Miami to Dallas will be the extra spark that Dallas needs to win the series.

Because of the way that momentum is following the home team, I don't think that it is a lock that Miami will win the series. I still feel that Miami is a slight favorite to win the series due to being up 3-2 and with Shaq and Wade.
I might very well be wrong. We'll see.

In any event, I think that it is stupid and stubborn if somebody maintains an opinion when they are aware that the evidence supporting such an opinion turns against them.

Part of avoiding being dumb is to admit when the evidence no longer supports your previous contention.

strangeweather
06-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Because of the way that momentum is following the home team, I don't think that it is a lock that Miami will win the series. I still feel that Miami is a slight favorite to win the series due to being up 3-2 and with Shaq and Wade.
I don't have a clue who's going to win this series, and I think anyone who says they know is crazy.