PDA

View Full Version : If Heat Win, are they the Best team?

MadDog73
06-19-2006, 09:07 AM
Logic says, best teams always win a 7 games series.

But controversial calls and bad Mavs mistakes have given the Heat an opportunity they shouldn't have.

I think the Mavs are the better team in this series, (more talent), but they could still lose!

1Parker1
06-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Same could have been said after the Mavs, Spurs series.

I don't think Heat are better than Dallas. They just have Dwayne Wade and Dallas doesn't have a player like that to counter with Dirk's choking (despite yesterday's big shot that almost won them the game :lol).

MadDog73
06-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Dwyane Wade... annoying to spell, incredible to watch.

I don't think Dallas is choking, they keep hitting clutch shots, and I really believe the Heat are being bailed out.

But, I have no sympathy for the Mavs, since this is exactly the kind of game Mark Cuban wants - no touching other players without fouls being called. I hope he's happy with the results...

texlawman
06-19-2006, 09:36 AM
I've always believed the better team wins a 7 game series. Wade is clearly the best player on the court. I still think Dallas is the better team. Game 5 however, was some of the worst officiating I've ever seen in a playoff game. How do you have a 18-0 free throw disparity in the third quarter? Sickening.

MadDog73
06-19-2006, 09:39 AM
I've always believed the better team wins a 7 game series. Wade is clearly the best player on the court. I still think Dallas is the better team. Game 5 however, was some of the worst officiating I've ever seen in a playoff game. How do you have a 18-0 free throw disparity in the third quarter? Sickening.

Well, thank Mark Cuban for that. His new "pussy" ball seems to be not so fun to watch, after all...

I liked it better when they didn't call a foul in the playoffs unless it was serious. This new shit of calling a foul on very other play... ugh. I'm not going to be able to watch basketball if this continues.

J.T.
06-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Honestly the Mavs are a better team on paper. Before this Finals series, I gave Dirk huge props for stepping up when it counted against Spurs and Suns. He had that 50 point game in the WCF, wow nice. But better teams don't choke like this. They went up 2-0 and are now down 3-2 just like that. Mavs were killer on the road this entire playoffs. Elimination games in Memphis, SA, and Phoenix. They they go to Miami and lose 3? It's definitely odd.

I think if they were the better team then they would be going back to Dallas with either the trophy or a 3-2 advantage. I did not see this coming, and as well as Dallas has played this entire playoffs, they are not the best team right now.

MadDog73
06-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Honestly the Mavs are a better team on paper. Before this Finals series, I gave Dirk huge props for stepping up when it counted against Spurs and Suns. He had that 50 point game in the WCF, wow nice. But better teams don't choke like this. They went up 2-0 and are now down 3-2 just like that. Mavs were killer on the road this entire playoffs. Elimination games in Memphis, SA, and Phoenix. They they go to Miami and lose 3? It's definitely odd.

I think if they were the better team then they would be going back to Dallas with either the trophy or a 3-2 advantage. I did not see this coming, and as well as Dallas has played this entire playoffs, they are not the best team right now.

To put things is perspective, how close were the Spurs to losing Game 5 in Detroit? Pretty damn close. And we still managed to lose Game 6 on top of it... a bad 4th quarter in Game 7, and Spurs would've owned one of the biggest Choke labels in the NBA...

but we didn't. Mavs have to win this series, or they will be known for the first team to lose the Finals after taking a 2-0 lead since the 2-3-2 format.

Who know, maybe it will inspire Cuban to petition to change the Finals to 2-2-1-1-1.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Nobody posted about this when the Spurs were knocked out.

1Parker1
06-19-2006, 10:27 AM
:lol Everyone gave props to the Mavs for finally coming out of their soft shell and not choking like years past (Suns series in 05, Spurs series in 03, etc.) However, turns out they were just a little late this year. Mavs can play a lot better than they did these past 3 games. They're losing their composure and getting caught up in the officiating BS, and getting away from their game plan.

Bright spot for them, I've been throughly impressed with Devin Harris's defense in certain sequences against DWade :tu

MadDog73
06-19-2006, 10:30 AM
Nobody posted about this when the Spurs were knocked out.

It might not have been a thread (although, I can't believe it wasn't), but it was certainly discussed.

Many Fans here still believe the Spurs are the better team, and bad luck, bad calls, bad plays led to one of the greatest upsets in NBA History (ok, that's hyberpole, but you get the picture).

I believe if you beat a team, you are the best, period. I don't like to blame refs for losing, there are always other opportunities to win a game.

But I won't lie and say there aren't some similarities between the position the Mavs are in, and the position the Spurs were in...

1Parker1
06-19-2006, 10:43 AM
The similiarities are uncanny. :lol

Mr. Body
06-19-2006, 11:05 AM
The winner of this FInals is one of the weakest NBA Champions in living memory.

MadDog73
06-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks I appreciate you pulling for us. It is nice to know that you are aware of our current DYNASTY!!!! :elephant :elephant :elephant If the games are just called fair and we stop doing this to ourselves, we will be a lock to win the next 2 games :tu

He's joking, right?

TDMVPDPOY
06-19-2006, 12:51 PM
mavs werent built to beat the heat

built to beat spurs doesnt mean ur built to playin finals bball.

1Parker1
06-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Thanks I appreciate you pulling for us. It is nice to know that you are aware of our current DYNASTY!!!! :elephant :elephant :elephant If the games are just called fair and we stop doing this to ourselves, we will be a lock to win the next 2 games :tu

:lol ummmm.... :drunk ?

Winnipeg_Spur
06-19-2006, 01:19 PM
If the Heat win they're clearly the better team, by definition. If the Mavs are actually better they have to prove it and stop making these terrible mistakes that you alluded to.

dallasmavsnfuego214
06-19-2006, 01:27 PM
I liked it better when they didn't call a foul in the playoffs unless it was serious.

i dont mean to complain too much, but in the Spurs-Mavs series, both teams got plenty of cheap fouls when they were playing at home. it was annoying, but i think the fans got in the ref's head in that series

MadDog73
06-19-2006, 01:31 PM
i dont mean to complain too much, but in the Spurs-Mavs series, both teams got plenty of cheap fouls when they were playing at home. it was annoying, but i think the fans got in the ref's head in that series

Perhaps. But it wasn't just this series, it was in the East, too, Pistons being called for ticky-tack fouls against Wade and Lebron.

I know, I know, stars get the calls, but at a certain point, it becomes re-Dirk-ulous.

Darrin
06-19-2006, 01:49 PM
I've reached my breaking point in terms of the NBA and its referees. All a Heat Championship will do is drive the nail home - I'll never watch again. I won't sample the product to see if they have changed the rules: I'll never watch again.

And it sucks because I went into this series not caring about who won. Both teams had earned their stripes, especially Dallas who had the hardest road to the Finals of any of the Final Four. I wanted to see Stackhouse win a ring, but I wouldn't have cried if that didn't happen.

The NBA, with their referees, has managed to drive away this fan. All the outcome of this series will determine is how zealous this convert will be.

MadDog73
06-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Oh, Darrin, don't worry, you'll watch again when the Pistons are back...

1Parker1
06-19-2006, 01:54 PM
I've reached my breaking point in terms of the NBA and its referees. All a Heat Championship will do is drive the nail home - I'll never watch again. I won't sample the product to see if they have changed the rules: I'll never watch again.

And it sucks because I went into this series not caring about who won. Both teams had earned their stripes, especially Dallas who had the hardest road to the Finals of any of the Final Four. I wanted to see Stackhouse win a ring, but I wouldn't have cried if that didn't happen.

The NBA, with their referees, has managed to drive away this fan. All the outcome of this series will determine is how zealous this convert will be.

Though I don't know if I can quite bring myself to stop watching the Spurs next season :oops I completely agree with your post. I really could care less who wins in this series, though I prefer Dallas. Nonetheless, the officiating in the NBA just makes me enjoy the game less and I know it's always been this way and that for the most part, refs seem to do their best. However, this postseason more than one I've ever watched, I've never seen so many games affected by questional referreeing instead of the players.

Darrin
06-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Oh, Darrin, don't worry, you'll watch again when the Pistons are back...

That's the general attitude whenever I say that. 'Oh, you're just full of it. When you're favorite team gets back on the court...'

So I've been fanatical about the Pistons for over a decade-and-a-half. When your girlfriend cheats on you, do you stay with her because you love her? When a friend stabs you in the back, do you keep trusting him or her?

It's been six, seven years since this shit started. This isn't something that happened in the last two weeks.

MadDog73
06-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Maybe if we all stop watching the NBA, they'll change.

1Parker1
06-19-2006, 02:15 PM
^:lol Well, the NBA is losing ratings.

Darrin
06-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Maybe if we all stop watching the NBA, they'll change.

What other voice do we have as fans? Bitching at each other on some message board? Our only impact is in how many jersies we buy, how much we talk about out team, and how much of this we watch. What's the alternative? Keep watching so the NBA never has a moment's pause because their fans are either hypocrites or stupid?