PDA

View Full Version : AJ's Tirade Isn't The First Time With Beat Writer

nbascribe
06-19-2006, 10:28 AM
The exchange between Eddie Seftko, the Dallas Morning News beat writer, and Dallas head coach Avery Johnson isn't a first time.

I've talked to some friends who cover the team and many have said that AJ and Seftko have bad blood that stems back during the regular season.

Yet even with Seftko possibly being a jerk, Johnson had no right to try and belittle him on INTERNATIONAL television.

I've stood up for him on various issues on this board but this one crosses the line. The reporter was doing his job of asking questions and if Avery didn't like it, he could have side stepped the issue. Even if Seftko had found a way to ask the question so that it was a softball type inquiry, Johnson probably would have still went off on him.

Being an ass on the podium is just uncalled for. Bad enough that the Dallas media lap dogs are trailing Mark Cuban for comments and when they get them, he berates them but a NBA coach should be professional AT ALL TIMES.

Totally classless in this regard and AJ should be fined for those statements.

picnroll
06-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Starting to see the real AJ or at least the Cubanized AJ?

nbascribe
06-19-2006, 10:39 AM
Starting to see an AJ that is being an ass.

I can't put the Cubanized mark on him because probably any first time coach in the Finals would be frazzled.

But I've heard from friends that Sefko has had it out for AJ since day one. So that might be an ongoing fued that is just now surfacing to us here.

MadDog73
06-19-2006, 10:39 AM
Link to what was said?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-19-2006, 10:40 AM
So what's up with last night when you were defending AJ and said if I had a better education that I'd understand the beatwriter was an a--hole and deserved it?

Slight change in opinion by you from 12 hours ago, scribe.

nbascribe
06-19-2006, 10:47 AM
So what's up with last night when you were defending AJ and said if I had a better education that I'd understand the beatwriter was an a--hole and deserved it?

Slight change in opinion by you from 12 hours ago, scribe.

I was defending person OFF THE COURT Aggie...not the coach.

And I've even admitted numerous times that AJ was being an ass during the season with some reporters.

Sefko is an ass but I'll admit that even he didn't deserve taht.. But he's been doing this for 20 years and he knows how to skirt around issues.

I will not make any apologies of defending AJ, the person off the court, but when his on the court ego acts an ass; hey I'm gonna call him out like I call Pop out. Hell I've got a VIP card with Pop, Jackson and Sloan's dog houses. One more ain't gonna hurt.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-19-2006, 10:50 AM
That's cool. If I didn't make myself clear, I was mainly talking about the basketball AJ. He still does community service crap in and around Dallas, it's just that everything that relates to basketball has changed for him.

nbascribe
06-19-2006, 10:53 AM
That's cool. If I didn't make myself clear, I was mainly talking about the basketball AJ. He still does community service crap in and around Dallas, it's just that everything that relates to basketball has changed for him.

I can accept that. Probably working for Cuban would make Jesus cuss up a storm.

whottt
06-19-2006, 10:56 AM
To tell you the truth...I thought that was one of the best table turns on a reporter I have ever seen...Reporters always ask loaded questions, for their own benefit pretty much and AJ stuck his finger in the barrel on that one and dared the reporter to pull the trigger for a change.

Obviously that reporter had thoughts about that play himself...and AJ dared him to give his own opinion on it lmao...rather than hiding behind the "he said," she said" protective skirt that some journalists hide behind as they try to stir up controversry.

This doesn't change my stance that AJ's an ass or anything, but I'd be willing to bet that every coach in the league was chuckling at what AJ did.

nbascribe
06-19-2006, 10:59 AM
To tell you the truth...I thought that was one of the best table turns on a reporter I have ever seen...Reporters always ask loaded question...AJ stuck his finger in the barrel and dared the reporter to pull the trigger for a change...

This doesn't change my stance that AJ's an ass or anything, but I'd be willing to bet that every coach in the league was chuckling at what AJ did.

I mean I was dying with laughter on it but still that was wrong. But it wasn't nearly as good as the one I heard about after the Orlando loss this season. A friend of mine said that those two went at it for like thirty minutes.

I've heard that Avery can be a complete jerk with reporters when they ask dumb ass questions or try to paint him in a corner. Guess he did learn something from Pop when he was here.