PDA

View Full Version : Job Interviews

ashbeeigh
06-19-2006, 01:13 PM
I've got two interviews in the next two days for some jobs over the summer. One is at Forever 21 at La Cantera and the other is at New York and Company at La Cantera. I've never worked retail, per say, but I have enough experience to get the interviews. I've worked at Shakes (the little custard place by wal-mart and 10) and a do-nut shop. Is there anything y'all could suggest that would make me stand out tomorrow and the next day for the interviews? The only advice I've gotten is from my mother, which is great and all, but what what do you all think?

Kori Ellis
06-19-2006, 01:18 PM
You should dress for the interview similar to how the current workers dress.
Be friendly, but not annoyingly perky.
And be confident in and be able to verbally express your strengths.

T Park
06-19-2006, 01:19 PM
well ash, Ive never worked retail either, but, maybe demonstrating a little knowledge about the product wouldn't hurt?

Other than that, I dont know what they would ask.

Only jobs Ive held outside of owning my business are working at Little Cesars and Mission Del Lago golf course.

ShoogarBear
06-19-2006, 01:24 PM
I'm guessig the most important thing they're going to want is to be able to tell how you can relate to customers. So make sure you speak clearly, be attentive, and watch the body language.

Or you could roll the dice and pretend the interviewer is midget.

1Parker1
06-19-2006, 01:32 PM
:wow My two favorite stores you're interviewing at!!!

I used to work at retail also back in my day, so here are some of my tips: I wouldn't wear a suit neccesarily, more like business casual, dress pants and dress shirt (something you could find at either of those stores). They're most likely going to ask you tons of "scenario" questions like if a customer says something is "this" price and it was on the wrong rack and they want it for that price, what do you do? How would you handle an irrate customer? What do you think are your top qualities? etc.

Basically in retail they just want to make sure your friendly, patient, and a quick learner. Any prior work experience that shows you have these qualities I would bring up too. They're pretty laid back at these places, and I'm sure you'll do fine.

Best of luck! And remember your ol pal in Philly when you get that Employee Discount :)

angel_luv
06-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Try to think of some in store situations you might face- crabby customer etc. and how you would handle said situation.
Almost all the interviews I have gone on have had a few what would you do questions.

I am sorry I can't get you more retail example questions. Maybe someone else on here can help with that.

Just relax. Don't be afraid to think for a second before answering if you need to.

Be honest. Smile.

You'll do great! :)

angel_luv
06-19-2006, 01:39 PM
They're most likely going to ask you tons of "scenario" questions like if a customer says something is "this" price and it was on the wrong rack and they want it for that price, what do you do? How would you handle an irrate customer? What do you think are your top qualities? etc.

Hahahaha great minds. I am just a slower typer. :)

ashbeeigh
06-19-2006, 01:42 PM
Thank y'all so much for the advice! I wll take all of it with me! And I'll remember you 1Parker1! :D

angel_luv
06-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Thank y'all so much for the advice! I wll take all of it with me! And I'll remember you 1Parker1! :D

Good cause she is going to use that discount to buy me a super spiffy present. :D

ashbeeigh
06-19-2006, 01:47 PM
I have to get either job first angel! I'm still not completely optomistic about getting either one. But then again, that's another thing I've got to do, be optomistic! :)

ORION
06-19-2006, 01:48 PM
when interviewing remember the 3 C's ......Cool , Cofindence and Cleavage

davi78239
06-19-2006, 01:49 PM
I feel you. I got one on Friday for Enterprise Mgmt Trainee Program, so I'll be preparing for that one as the week goes by. Good Luck to you any how.

angel_luv
06-19-2006, 01:54 PM
I have to get either job first angel! I'm still not completely optomistic about getting either one. But then again, that's another thing I've got to do, be optomistic! :)

You have to go in there positive. All the interviewer is going to know about you is his impressions from your behavior and what you tell him.

If you don't think he absolutely should hire you, he is not going to want you.

Your chances are already better than they were before you got the interview.

So go in there and get us our discount. :)

atxrocker
06-19-2006, 01:59 PM

:lmao :lmao in that order?

ORION
06-19-2006, 02:02 PM
:lmao :lmao in that order?
If you want them to take her seriously then yes

Old School Chic
06-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Ash~

Good luck with your interviews... :spin

ashbeeigh
06-19-2006, 02:03 PM
I feel you. I got one on Friday for Enterprise Mgmt Trainee Program, so I'll be preparing for that one as the week goes by. Good Luck to you any how.

Good luck on yours too, I'll be rooting for you!

So go in there and get us our discount. :)

I sure will!

I'll wear my push-up bra, just for you orion.

1Parker1
06-19-2006, 02:05 PM

She's applying at retail stores that sell ONLY female clothing. In fact, they don't even have men work there, at least none that I've seen. So she'll most likely be interviewed by a lady. And she wouldn't want to show off her cleavage in case her female interviewee feels intimidated or jealous :angel

Jekka
06-19-2006, 02:05 PM

:lol

For future summers, Ashbeeigh, you might want to consider internships if you're only looking for a summer job. It's a good way to get some practice in your chosen career path so you don't end up with a degree and no experience ... and it usually makes more money than retail, at least from personal experience.

If you're really "not completely optimistic" about the jobs and want to stick with retail, you might want to try the Gap or Old Navy (same company) - they are almost always hiring and usually give decent hours.

ORION
06-19-2006, 02:07 PM
She's applying at retail stores that sell ONLY female clothing. In fact, they don't even have men work there, at least none that I've seen. So she'll most likely be interviewed by a lady. And she wouldn't want to show off her cleavage in case her female interviewee feels intimidated or jealous :angel
so guys can't shop for girls now ?!? make up your minds ! Look if I'm hiring someone those are the qualities I look for. It says so on my wall. :madrun

ShoogarBear
06-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Perhaps you should post a photo of your interview suit so ORION can give it proper evaluation.

ORION
06-19-2006, 02:08 PM
I'll wear my push-up bra, just for you orion.
well then let me be the first to say " congrats on your new job !"

ashbeeigh
06-19-2006, 02:09 PM
:lol

For future summers, Ashbeeigh, you might want to consider internships if you're only looking for a summer job. It's a good way to get some practice in your chosen career path so you don't end up with a degree and no experience ... and it usually makes more money than retail, at least from personal experience.

If you're really "not completely optimistic" about the jobs and want to stick with retail, you might want to try the Gap or Old Navy (same company) - they are almost always hiring and usually give decent hours.

I did consider them. A lot of them, especially research, are super competetive and need a lot of time to get applications together. This last semester was pretty rough to get applications together. I thought about one internship, but I got there just a bit too late. And since the Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic are so close together over here they're on the top of so many people's lists to get in applications that I haven't gotten a call back yet, at least from Old Navy.

ORION
06-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Perhaps you should post a photo of your interview suit so ORION can give it proper evaluation.
I like the way you think ! I'd hire you as my HR rep

ShoogarBear
06-19-2006, 02:10 PM
I like the way you think ! I'd hire you as my HR rep

Just so long as the job comes with its own couch.

Jekka
06-19-2006, 02:14 PM
I did consider them. A lot of them, especially research, are super competetive and need a lot of time to get applications together. This last semester was pretty rough to get applications together. I thought about one internship, but I got there just a bit too late. And since the Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic are so close together over here they're on the top of so many people's lists to get in applications that I haven't gotten a call back yet, at least from Old Navy.

Most internships do require a lot of advanced planning, but it's worth it if it gets you practical experience.

ashbeeigh
06-19-2006, 02:18 PM
It's true Jess, and I'm planning on doing one before I graduate, or before I go to Grad school (depending on how badly or well I do on both GREs). It was just finding the time within the last couple semesters getting everything together.

ORION
06-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Just so long as the job comes with its own couch.
is that not the standard in todays market ? We need to conduct interviews on the couch with soft music. I'll prompt you on my hiring procedures

ShoogarBear
06-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Uhhhhhhhhhhh, but you're not going to actually interview me, are you?

ashbeeigh
Maybe you could psychoanalyze him on the couch orion.

Old School Chic
It's funny how the majority of the guys @ Spurstalk make any thread into a sexual fantasy... :lol

ORION & Shoogarbear for President & Vice President

ORION
06-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Uhhhhhhhhhhh, but you're not going to actually interview me, are you?
shhh , I have to say that so all the female applicants don't get upset

ShoogarBear
06-19-2006, 02:28 PM
It's funny how the majority of the guys @ Spurstalk make any thread into a sexual fantasy... :lol

ORION & Shoogarbear for President & Vice President

I beg your pardon. We are formulating a serious endeavor to place the women of ST into Executive Career Tracks.

Old School Chic
06-19-2006, 02:30 PM
I beg your pardon. We are formulating a serious endeavor to place the women of ST into Executive Career Tracks.

In that case... Keep up the good work! :lol

1Parker1
06-19-2006, 02:45 PM

:lol In that case, sign me up!

ShoogarBear
06-19-2006, 02:59 PM
:lol In that case, sign me up!

Send me a resumé.

:eyebrows

George W Bush
06-19-2006, 03:04 PM
It would be best if your daddy had worked there before you did.