PDA

View Full Version : To Gunn or not to Gunn

spurschick
06-19-2006, 03:06 PM
I'm ready to get a new Honda and I'm trying to decide on "one simple price" or the traditional route. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Summers
06-19-2006, 03:09 PM
I heard you can get free massages in their waiting room ("It's true!") :lol Love your '07 siggy by the way.

Marklar MM
06-19-2006, 03:16 PM
http://www.geocities.com/elliotwaters/tommygunn.gif

Tommy

CosmicCowboy
06-19-2006, 03:38 PM
I know that when I bought my truck I faxed a description of exactly what I wanted to several dealers. Gunns "one simple price" was simply about 5 grand more than I ended up paying from another dealer...

CosmicCowboy
06-19-2006, 03:41 PM
It might be different on Hondas though...I know I was talking to a Toyota dealer yesterday...since the gas crunch they have been selling all the smaller cars like crazy and they are sticking to MSRP without any discounting (when they can get enough cars)....Hondas may be the same.

TheTruth
06-19-2006, 05:52 PM
are you selling your old car?

angel_luv
06-19-2006, 06:16 PM
congrats on your new car! enjoy.

MannyIsGod
06-19-2006, 06:28 PM
Gunn will absolutely screw you. As CC said, just build your car online and find the invoice price. You shouldn't have to pay more than 1 or 2 % over that invoice price and that will end up being a ton lower than sticker price.

Do some research and don't buy on the first day you go to the dealership regardless of how much you like the car. Don't let the dealership add any extra shit to your deal and don't buy an extended warranty.

Das Texan
06-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Gunn will absolutely screw you. As CC said, just build your car online and find the invoice price. You shouldn't have to pay more than 1 or 2 % over that invoice price and that will end up being a ton lower than sticker price.

Do some research and don't buy on the first day you go to the dealership regardless of how much you like the car. Don't let the dealership add any extra shit to your deal and don't buy an extended warranty.

I bought an extended warranty..

oh wait, that was from the bank..oops! :lol

Its true though on the smaller Toyotas, I got basically zero discount on mine simply due to demand.

But I did get exactly what I wanted!

CharlieMac
06-19-2006, 06:40 PM
I really have nothing to contribute to this thread except that I have bought my vehicles from salespeople recommended through First Mark Credit Unions loan department. I've been pretty satisfied with that.

smackdaddy11
06-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Either the internet or faxing is the way to go. The only time to step on a car lot is to pickup your car.

Honda's extended warranty is worth every penny. It is fully refundable if you never use it. I know of no other manufacturer who does this. Be careful, you want the ORIGINAL Honda warranty. Don't let them bait and switch you to a third party warranty. I believe it is called Honda Care

2centsworth
06-19-2006, 07:02 PM
If you get your loan through USAA they have a negotiation department. They will negotiate for you and from what I've heard they do an excellent Job. Otherwise, you need to know someone.

MannyIsGod
06-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Extended warrantys are a bad idea. #1, if you finance it, you're paying interest on it before you even are using it. It doesn't kick in untill your regular warranty runs out and they are all refundable before then but if you have to finance them the interest is not.

Secondly, if you just put money aside little by little - and this is hard for most people - then you can save up money that you may or may not have to use for the car and earn interest on it at the same time.

Warranties are just really expensive insurance. Saving the money is a cheaper and much better option.

SpursWoman
06-19-2006, 07:21 PM
I get spam all of the time for relatively inexpensive extended warranties you can purchase (if you want to) after the manufacturer's runs out. :)

Spam
06-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Extended warranties suck...until you need them.

spurschick
06-19-2006, 07:32 PM
are you selling your old car?

Trading it in.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I've never tried the internet method, but I can see where that would be better than stepping on a lot and going through the song and dance. And I didn't know about paying only 1-2% above invoice, so thanks for that info!

These are the moments I feel like such a girl...

Oh, and thanks Summers. :spin I'm getting an early jump on things.

MannyIsGod
06-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Hey Melissa, my best friend works for a Toyota dealership if you look into getting a Toyota instead. He'll take good care of you and give you the Manny discount. PM me if you want his number.

Das Texan
06-19-2006, 08:32 PM
i guess the only solace i have in my extended warranty is that i got it for under $500 bucks.

MannyIsGod
06-19-2006, 08:59 PM
i guess the only solace i have in my extended warranty is that i got it for under $500 bucks.I would read your warranty information to see how big your deductible is and to make sure you know exactly what it covers. Make sure you are getting a good deal.

It would suck to have to use it only to find out you ahve to pay 500 or worse a 1000 dollars before it even kicks in.

2Blonde
06-19-2006, 09:17 PM
We went to Gunn when I bought my Nissan Altima last year and then went over to Ingram Park Nissan. We got a much better deal and better selection at Ingram Park. That was just my experience.

Das Texan
06-19-2006, 09:51 PM
I would read your warranty information to see how big your deductible is and to make sure you know exactly what it covers. Make sure you are getting a good deal.

It would suck to have to use it only to find out you ahve to pay 500 or worse a 1000 dollars before it even kicks in.

mine is a really good deal. its a 50 dollar deductible and then it covers all the major stuff at any mechanic i want to goto essentially.

what kinda honda you looking for?

i love my toyota, that was a great purchase I made.

spurschick
06-19-2006, 10:24 PM
Hey Melissa, my best friend works for a Toyota dealership if you look into getting a Toyota instead. He'll take good care of you and give you the Manny discount. PM me if you want his number.

Thanks Manny, but I'm a Honda girl through and through... unless someone wants to give me the cash for a BMW. :spin

angel_luv
06-19-2006, 10:27 PM
I heard you can get free massages in their waiting room ("It's true!") :lol

Good times! :lol

Nbadan
06-20-2006, 12:20 AM
I've always bought the extended warranty and never once regretted it.

jman3000
06-20-2006, 12:46 AM
Fuck those ho's :pctoss

MannyIsGod
06-20-2006, 12:48 AM
Thanks Manny, but I'm a Honda girl through and through... unless someone wants to give me the cash for a BMW. :spinI hear you. I am partial to Hondas myself. They're simply the best.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-20-2006, 12:58 AM
Camry > Accord

furry_spurry
06-20-2006, 01:14 AM
I got a good deal at Gunn Honda- but the guys there always take good care of me. :)

tlongII
06-20-2006, 01:23 AM
Fuck Japanese cars. Overrated pieces of shit.

Mixability
06-20-2006, 01:50 AM

:tu

I priced online too. I went to the dealership and told them exactly how much I wanted to spend. I had my own outside financing already set up also. I told them if they could get a vehicle with everything I wanted for a fair price, I'd buy that day. I had looked up their inventory online and saw that they didn't have a certain color of vehicle in stock at that time. So when I went to the dealership I asked for that out of stock color, so I looked disappointed when they said they didn't have that color. So to make up for not having my so-called "first choice" of color, they matched the tint all around for free, hooked it up with free gas, 5 full tanks to be exact. While the final paperwork was being filled out and pricing was already typed up, I conveniently remembered a coupon I had gotten from Chevy for $1500 off any new GM vehicle. The paperwork was already printed and it was close to closing time, they wanted to close up already, so they let me trade the coupon for the DVD system, which would have ran me $2000.

This was my first new vehicle purchase, so I'm glad I was able to get a good price and I was able to get a lower APR then with my outside financing.

Milf Hunter
06-20-2006, 01:55 AM
Danyo, is it true that Batman's sister is a MILF?

angel_luv
06-20-2006, 06:58 AM
I hear you. I am partial to Hondas myself. They're simply the best.

Thanks so much. Now I have that song in my head. :lol

Mixability
06-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Danyo, is it true that Batman's sister is a MILF?

:lol

SpursWoman
06-23-2006, 07:56 AM
I bought a new car yesterday ... and :lmao at them trying to sell me the extended warranty, gap protection, etc. Talk about pressuring hardcore.

Everything you can get elsewhere for much cheaper and NOT be paying interest on it.

:fro

King
06-23-2006, 08:56 AM
I got my Accord from Carmax - and their prices are pretty good, and they gave me far more on my trade in than it was worth.

1Parker1
06-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Camry > Accord

:lol That's funny because I drive a Camry and my BF drives an Accord, and he's always saying the opposite.

Extra Stout
06-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Fuck Japanese cars. Overrated pieces of shit.
What do you drive?

SpursWoman
06-23-2006, 12:36 PM
He has a relatively new Cadillac. Red, I think. :fro