PDA

View Full Version : Will Shaq's legacy be questioned?

birdy219
06-19-2006, 03:51 PM
I remember specifically after Game 5 in '05 after Timmy missed all those free throws and Horry bailed him out, that all the talking heads were wondering if Timmy had damaged his legacy. They questioned his heart, ability to win the big one and everything else after his free throw disasters. Shaq went 2 for 12 and if it wasn't for Wade bailing him out, they would have all ready lost the series. I wonder if anybody will call them out on this. I thought it was awful the way they tried to negate Timmy's legacy after that game. Will they do the same to the "big quote"? I think NOT.

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-19-2006, 03:52 PM
2-12 FTs

Heat are winning these games DESPITE Shaq

ChumpDumper
06-19-2006, 03:52 PM
He is clearly second banana here.

And they won the game anyway.

ducks
06-19-2006, 03:53 PM
shaq has won nothing without either wade or kobe

wade is playing like a mvp
when shaq won it before kobe was playing like a mvp
right now shaq is not even playing as well as he was when he was with the lakers

ATX Spur
06-19-2006, 03:55 PM
His legacy will be much better than Zo, or Payton for that matter.

ShoogarBear
06-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Actually, GP has done pretty damn good for himself these Finals, at least in clutch moments.

CosmicCowboy
06-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Dirk has been second banana to Jason Terry in this series as well, but if the Mavs manage to squeak through you know Dirk will get the MVP.

Holmes_Fans
06-19-2006, 09:15 PM
LA/Miami doesn't win without Shaq. Teams have to double team shaq, leaving someone opened. Team don't double team alonzo mourning/erick dampier/anyone not shaq.

Darrin
06-19-2006, 09:25 PM
I remember specifically after Game 5 in '05 after Timmy missed all those free throws and Horry bailed him out, that all the talking heads were wondering if Timmy had damaged his legacy. They questioned his heart, ability to win the big one and everything else after his free throw disasters. Shaq went 2 for 12 and if it wasn't for Wade bailing him out, they would have all ready lost the series. I wonder if anybody will call them out on this. I thought it was awful the way they tried to negate Timmy's legacy after that game. Will they do the same to the "big quote"? I think NOT.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's last playoffs - 11.1 ppg, 3.9 rpg, and .73 bpg.

Did that tarnish his legacy?

The guy has taken all three teams he played for to the NBA Finals. This is his sixth NBA Finals and he's played in nine Conference Finals. He's a 3-time NBA Champion and a 3-time Finals MVP. He's the most dominant player of his generation.

Shaq the last true center in league history and that will be his legacy. The outcome of these Finals will do little for him.

(But I still prefer Timmy and Hakeem).

Brutalis
06-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Everyone's talking about how the Mavs will pound Miami in game 6 but uh, what if Shaq shows up?

End story.

nbrans
06-20-2006, 12:49 AM

Er, it's not like Wade or Kobe were world beaters without Shaq.

The only way Shaq's legacy will be questioned is if someone can prove the years 1999-2002 never happened (lord knows I've tried). Barring that, I think Shaq's legacy can sit back, chill with the three rings, relax, and laugh at all the missed free throws.

aaronstampler
06-20-2006, 01:24 AM
I don't think it will hurt his legacy, ultimately, because A) He NEVER could hit free throws well, so his misses aren't classified as surprising or "choking" and B) He's been too good for the media with his animated personality and quotes for them to trash him when he's done.

I don't agree with last center ever stuff though. Yao was pretty damn dominant for a 25 game stretch this year between two foot injuries. If he can ever get healthy and have McGrady healthy too, he's going to have a very, very good career in the NBA. He's only 25 still, isn't he? The guy is going to average 25 next year easy if he's healthy. And don't forget, Oden is around the corner too. These things come in cycles. Small ball won't last forever, and pretty soon a new crop of centers will pop up.

polandprzem
06-20-2006, 05:33 AM
Shaq i double-teamed that gives a lot more space for Wade or Kobe.
They play on a different places on the floor.

Shaq will alwayes take an attencion.
His legacy?

MDE 5 Finals and how many Trophys and Finals MVp's?
He is beating Timmy right there!

Texas_Ranger
06-20-2006, 05:35 AM

wade is playing like a mvp
when shaq won it before kobe was playing like a mvp
right now shaq is not even playing as well as he was when he was with the lakers

Agree 100%

MadDog73
06-20-2006, 09:20 AM
MDE 5 Finals and how many Trophys and Finals MVp's?
He is beating Timmy right there!

Considering one Finals appearence was before Tim joined the NBA, and this one is against the team that beat the Spurs, I would say Shaq and Tim are tied. (3 Rings, 3 Finals MVPs each).

But, who do you think has the better chance to win more at this point in their careers?

polandprzem
06-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Considering one Finals appearence was before Tim joined the NBA, and this one is against the team that beat the Spurs, I would say Shaq and Tim are tied. (3 Rings, 3 Finals MVPs each).

But, who do you think has the better chance to win more at this point in their careers?

Well it's not about better chance of winning :rolleyes

You could see a fenom OScar Robertson at the begining of his career and say that he has an unbelivable chance of winning some rings. He ended up with one :( And we know who was the best player then...
Yes I know the basketball was differt and so on...
But it's not about a chance of winning it's simple about WINNING!

( Simply to me better is Timmy - because he has got more weapons and is better in D. Shaq gives you space (when you are a coach) in the game, Tim gives you space, more options in the offese (with teammates or without) and is better defender through all career)