PDA

View Full Version : Spurs looking to trade into first round?

Kori Ellis
06-20-2006, 04:02 AM
According to Draft Express, the Spurs are trying to trade into the first round to get an athletic, defensive forward to backup/eventually replace Bruce.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1358

Streakyshooter08
06-20-2006, 04:07 AM
Well, that is interesting. I wonder who they might be interested in and who they might trade. Any interesting long SF prospects? Any indication on how high they want to go?

Kori Ellis
06-20-2006, 04:13 AM
You can look here to see the latest mock drafts to get an idea of the forwards out there.

http://nbadraft.net/

http://www.draftexpress.com/mock.php?y=2006

MannyIsGod
06-20-2006, 04:18 AM
http://nbadraft.net/profiles/rodneycarney.asp

?

Defensively, Carney has improved significantly this year and features all the tools in the world needed to be a lock down defender, particularly his size, length and superb quickness. He’ll usually get in the passing lanes about once a game and entrench himself in that night’s Sportscenter Top 10 highlight reel with the ensuing dunk.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=76

Streakyshooter08
06-20-2006, 04:27 AM
You can look here to see the latest mock drafts to get an idea of the forwards out there.

http://nbadraft.net/

http://www.draftexpress.com/mock.php?y=2006

Thanks.

SlovenianGuy
06-20-2006, 06:53 AM
Brandon Bowman
SF
6-8

Strengths: Wing with excellent athleticism and size ... Has good length, an NBA athlete ... Very unselfish, team player ... Doesn't get out of control or try to do too much ... Thrives in an up tempo open floor game, (which is not Georgetown's style). Getting up and down the floor, crashing the glass with high flying dunks ... Great body control and good finisher around the basket ... Body has improved, shows solid strength ... Has become a very good defender ... Ball handling and passing are solid for a SF ...

SlovenianGuy
06-20-2006, 06:56 AM
Louis Amundson
SF
6-8

Strengths: Tremendous rebounder at the small forward position ... A late bloomer who has long been an extremely athletic player and has worked very hard to add offensive abilities to his game ... An energy player who gives great effort every game ... Plays within himself ... Extremely quick and explosive, plays the game with passion ... Long arms and great leaping ability ... Crashes the boards especially hard, a tenacious rebounder on both ends of the floor ... Tough to guard close to the basket ... Very good defensively with quick feet and the desire to work hard on the defensive end ... Wiry strong athlete who absorbs contact well ...

Bruno
06-20-2006, 07:00 AM
I don't like that. We need help now and I don't see how a mid to late first round pick in a weak draft will help us next year.

Spurologist
06-20-2006, 07:12 AM
Thabo Sefolosha. That is all.

TOP_MODEL_M
06-20-2006, 07:35 AM
Nice, but who are we going to trade? And to which team? We don't really have any assets to trade....don't think anyone would give us a 1st round pick for Rasho or S&T Nazr... do you?
I think we're going to try to get a decent pick for next year's draft which is going to be much stronger, and eventually free some cap space - lots of great FAs next year you know...

Mr. Body
06-20-2006, 07:45 AM
Thabo Sefolosha. That is all.

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYE SYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESY ESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES YESYESYESYES.

I am convinced this is who they are after. GREAT character guy with tons of tools, a physical and intense defender, consummate professional and glue guy. Good size to hang some more weight on him. Has the handles to point at times but doesn't dominate the ball and is a good slasher. Good feel for the game. Needs work on consistency on his shot, but a hard and dedicated worker. Other weakness is he's not a 'star' in the making, prefering to keep a team together in other ways. DraftExpress scouting report says his best attribute might be his rebounding. He rebounds very well for his size.

I have little doubt this is the one, unless they pull a Mahinmi with a guy no one's heard of. No other SF in the middle to late first round has this guy's skill set. They are unathletic shooters or athletic 'potential' guys; either Novaks or Carneys.

Sefolosha does have a small buy-out the next few years, which means Scola may be elsewhere, if they want him this year - and are able to get him. He's been having great workouts.

SlovenianGuy
06-20-2006, 07:54 AM
According to Draft Express, the Spurs are trying to trade into the first round to get an athletic, defensive forward to backup/eventually replace Bruce.

Sefolosha is a guard, isn't he.

Mr. Body
06-20-2006, 07:57 AM
He's a swing SG/SF. 6'7".

The guys you listed aren't projected anywhere close to the First Round.

SPARKY
06-20-2006, 07:58 AM
So the Spurs will probably not trade and will sign a free agent to backup BB.

SlovenianGuy
06-20-2006, 08:08 AM
He's a swing SG/SF. 6'7".

The guys you listed aren't projected anywhere close to the First Round.

Louis Amundson - 1st round - 30th pick
Brandon Bowman - 2nd round - 10th pick (40th overall)

http://www.nbadraft.net/

Mr. Body
06-20-2006, 08:16 AM
DX doesn't have Bowman drafted, Amundson deep in the 2nd.

Amundson maybe, Bowman unlikely. With his skill set, I can't think why NBAdraft has Amundson rated so highly.

leemajors
06-20-2006, 08:22 AM
DX doesn't have Bowman drafted, Amundson deep in the 2nd.

Amundson maybe, Bowman unlikely. With his skill set, I can't think why NBAdraft has Amundson rated so highly.

but how much upside does he have? i agree with sparky, cia move.

picnroll
06-20-2006, 08:25 AM
Every year there's specualtion of the Spurs moving up in the draft. When is the last time the Spurs actually did move up? Color me sceptical.

Mr. Body
06-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Every year there's specualtion of the Spurs moving up in the draft. When is the last time the Spurs actually did move up? Color me sceptical.

True. But what's wrong with speculating who they might be after? If they're looking to move up, there's someone they want, isn't there?

furry_spurry
06-20-2006, 08:42 AM
I have believed all along that the Spurs have their eye on someone in particular, and I believe it to be Sefolosha, also. I would not be surprised to see the Spurs trade the rights to Scola- to attempt to trade Beno- or to work out a trade with Brent like what NJ may be looking for- to trade a player and a pick for a veteran. I've also read that Seattle does not want to take on first year salary and may be interested in trading their pick. Things are entirely too quiet where Scola is concerned-- leads me to believe something is up with his rights.

Also, I think this claim is believeable because the Spurs ave been trying to find a BB replacement- through trades and FA- for a couple of years and have been unsuccessful. I think the draft is the most likely place to find someone if they can get high enough of a pick, especially if they may be using part of the MLE for Javtokas.

Great review about Sefolosha here:
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=280

I have not been able to find an official measure of his wingspan, but he has really long arms. Also of interest, his contract has a clear buy-out at the end of each season for less than the $500,000 a team can pay. If the Spurs were interested in him, then they would not be able to help pay two buy-outs in the same summer.

On a sidenote, his family story is quite interesting.

boutons_
06-20-2006, 08:44 AM
"Things are entirely too quiet where Scola is concerned"

Because it's too early for any trade noise, as if the Spurs were famous for blurting out their CIA Pop/RC objectives.

SlovenianGuy
06-20-2006, 08:49 AM
According to the history of Spurs' dratft picks, I predict they'll draft someone of the following:

Pape-Philippe Amagou
Ejike Ugboaja

(unknown, international, early entry candidates)

furry_spurry
06-20-2006, 08:50 AM
^ What I mean is there is no "noise" from anywhere-- not from Argentina and not from Europe. Lithuanian press have been all over the Javtokas story- but no one is writing about Scola coming to the Spurs.

ducks
06-20-2006, 08:50 AM
did not sam priesta on woia say something like that also>
I rember he did

Russ
06-20-2006, 08:53 AM
This guy seems similar to Doug Christie (who the Spurs once wanted).

But 6'7" and 205 pounds -- could he guard the guys that Bowen takes?

Bruno
06-20-2006, 09:01 AM
^ What I mean is there is no "noise" from anywhere-- not from Argentina and not from Europe. Lithuanian press have been all over the Javtokas story- but no one is writing about Scola coming to the Spurs.

The difference is that Javtokas has finished his season and Scola is still playing. Another difference is that Javtokas was a free agent : no buyout negociation for him.

Another thing to consider is that if Spurs are high on Scola, they better say nothing : the most attractive Scola is, the most expensive his buyout will be.

picnroll
06-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Great review about Sefolosha here:
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=280

I have not been able to find an official measure of his wingspan, but he has really long arms.

Sefolosha fans will be plaesed to know that he measured 6'7" in shoes but with a 7'2" wingspan and 8'11 1/2" standing reach. :smokin

link (http://draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1355)

Bruno
06-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Nice, but who are we going to trade?

Likely draft rights to Scola.

furry_spurry
06-20-2006, 09:10 AM
The difference is that Javtokas has finished his season and Scola is still playing. Another difference is that Javtokas was a free agent : no buyout negociation for him.

Yes- but if they are using part of the MLE already for Javtokas, then how much is left for Scola??

yavozerb
06-20-2006, 09:12 AM
I really like BOBBY JONES from univ. of washington....This guy is ready to come in and play some minutes immediatly..Defense is already very good and offense is average (but still better than bowen)..6'7 and quick

Bruno
06-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Yes- but if they are using part of the MLE already for Javtokas, then how much is left for Scola??

Maybe enough ($3M-$3.5M) to get Scola if Javtokas isn't too expensive and if Scola buyout isn't too big.

ChumpDumper
06-20-2006, 09:35 AM
Every year there's specualtion of the Spurs moving up in the draft. When is the last time the Spurs actually did move up?2004. Of course that was just in the 2nd round, although it is said they did ty to move up to get Jameer Nelson too.

Mr. Body
06-20-2006, 09:38 AM
I really like BOBBY JONES from univ. of washington....This guy is ready to come in and play some minutes immediatly..Defense is already very good and offense is average (but still better than bowen)..6'7 and quick

I like him, too. He's projected mid to late second round, just before the Spurs can get him. Be nice, though.

SenorSpur
06-20-2006, 09:41 AM
Can't wait to see how the Spurs accomplish this task.

Maybe they can offer up Scola's rights to some interested team.

picnroll
06-20-2006, 09:50 AM
2004. Of course that was just in the 2nd round, although it is said they did ty to move up to get Jameer Nelson too.
Forgot about Sanikidze But the trend has been more down or out, not that that's much of an option this year. They've reportedly tried to move up but without success. Maybe with Scola's rights but there is a complete void of buzz on him and his value, not that isn't the Spurs way of doing things.

ALVAREZ6
06-20-2006, 10:00 AM
59th is the Spurs only pick???

ChumpDumper
06-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Yeah, when is the last time we heard of the Spurs' doing anything until maybe a day before it actually happened?

Mr. Body
06-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Can't wait to see how the Spurs accomplish this task.

Maybe they can offer up Scola's rights to some interested team.

Maybe. Maybe a package. I'm sure the Spurs will have some contingency deals in place while the draft goes on. If their man (Sefolosha?) is available, they'll trade; if not, they'll pass.

This is going to be one crazy draft. No obvious picks anywhere. Anything can happen.

wildbill2u
06-20-2006, 10:38 AM
The reason the Spurs tend to take Euros with playing committments overseas or who need 'seasoning' is so they don't have to pay 1st or 2nd round money that would bust the payroll cap for players who might be of marginal use.

I don't see them trading up--because they can't and because they don't want to.

Mr. Body
06-20-2006, 11:13 AM
The reason the Spurs tend to take Euros with playing committments overseas or who need 'seasoning' is so they don't have to pay 1st or 2nd round money that would bust the payroll cap for players who might be of marginal use.

The other reason is because they have better scouting than most and are confident they are grabbing concealed players later in the draft that have just the same potential as players that go earlier. That's probably the better reason - their scouting is excellent because of necessity.

I don't see them trading up--because they can't and because they don't want to.

I do see them trading up because they want to. Whether it happens is another matter.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-20-2006, 11:58 AM

?

It will be freakin incredible if we get Rodney Carney! He's like Jason Richardson with some defense.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-20-2006, 11:58 AM
59th is the Spurs only pick???
Really? :rolleyes

furry_spurry
06-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Spurs tried to move up the last 2 drafts. In 2004, they were all set with the deal with Utah to move up for the "next" pick and draft Nelson when Denver surprisingly drafted him with the "current" pick. Denver had already worked out the deal to send him to Orlando and Utah ended up making a deal with someone else then.

djohn14
06-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Two words for ya.....Shawne Williams.

Kori Ellis
06-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Two words for ya.....Shawne Williams.

He lost a lot in the pre-draft camp. He couldn't even bench press 185 lbs. one time.

Kori Ellis
06-20-2006, 02:36 PM
The Sonics (#10) are looking to trade their pick. They might be willing to package some contracts with it.

ducks
06-20-2006, 02:40 PM
who will be the first to post tp for the the number 10 pick in the draft :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

picnroll
06-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Apart from Fortson, who's in his last year, what bad contracts do the Sonics have?

ducks
06-20-2006, 02:43 PM
who will post manu plus tp for rayallen plus the 10 pick :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

clubalien
06-20-2006, 02:50 PM
only reason scola went secound round is because he had a contract he couldn't get out of

now that the contract has been played out on the number of years it is easier to get out of it.

remember spurs considered drafting scola first round

so trading scola a known talent for a first round draft pick seems reasonable

Kori Ellis
06-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Apart from Fortson, who's in his last year, what bad contracts do the Sonics have?

He's their only bad contract really. But they are actually looking to make some moves and supposedly Rashard, Collison, Ridnour, one of the young centers, and perhaps Wilcox via sign and trade can all be had.

1Parker1
06-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Luke would be a good back up PG for the Spurs :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-20-2006, 03:29 PM
I'd take Petro off their hands for them.

Das Texan
06-20-2006, 03:49 PM
I'd take Petro or Swift off their hands.

loveforthegame
06-20-2006, 03:54 PM
I'd take Petro or Swift off their hands.

I wonder if they'd go for a Barry/Udrih/Scola for Watson/10th pick and any of these guys work (Petro/Swift/Collison)?

Please_dont_ban_me
06-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Looking at the mock drafts, I'm not sure who has the Spurs eye at the 10-20 picks.

I hope they don't give up too much to get whoever it is.

Buddy Holly
06-20-2006, 05:43 PM

?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x2BGlGuMel4&search=Rodney%20Carney
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YzaVOu64pBY&search=Rodney%20Carney

strangeweather
06-20-2006, 06:10 PM
The San Antonio Spurs are searching for a first round draft pick, presumably to take an athletic defensive oriented wing player to back up and eventually replace Bruce Bowen.
Translation: Draft Express doesn't have a clue who we're interested in, or why.

I can believe that there might be valid rumors about the Spurs asking around about trading up. If there's a guy you might want, you send out feelers to see what picks might be available, and sources in other teams will let that get out there as a rumor.

But if they do decide to trade up, I think it's as likely to be for a PF or a SG as it is for a SF, and if it follows their usual pattern, it will be a guy that we won't see for 2-3 years. By then, we will probably already have signed some kind of successor to Bruce -- he'll be 37 in 2 years, right?

The problem with a draft this thin is that there are plenty of teams that will take a Euro they've barely seen over a college kid that they know won't make it out of camp, because at least there's a chance that the Euro will pan out someday. That means that it will be really hard to draft even the most obscure guys at #59, because there's 28 other teams willing to take a flyer on someone earlier in the 2nd. So if they have someone scouted that actually has promise, they'll need a higher pick to do it.

Edited for clarity.

Obstructed_View
06-20-2006, 06:23 PM
If the Spurs trade up to the first round, they already have someone specific in mind.

Solid D
06-20-2006, 07:24 PM
He lost a lot in the pre-draft camp. He couldn't even bench press 185 lbs. one time.

How did he play in the pre-draft camp? He's pretty long, athletic and he has some skills.

Solid D
06-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Never mind, I looked it up.

Rumor mill

The word circulating around the pre-draft camp on University of Memphis forward Shawne Williams is: Poor -- as in poor workouts of late and poor testing. Williams apparently has struggled in recent individual workouts, and his performances on psychological and cognitive exams have been discouraging.

Williams, an early entrant, lost his eligibility with Memphis when he hired an agent.

He chose not to participate in the pre-draft camp and will only arrive in time this weekend for an official physical and measurement.

-- By Ronald Tillery