PDA

View Full Version : J.R. Smith could be traded

ducks
06-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Rookies not worth the wait for Hornets
Tuesday, June 20, 2006
John DeShazier

Some time soon, maybe even during the next NBA season, Shelden Williams will play at an All-Defensive Team level, capable of locking down centers and power forwards alike.
Advertisement

Hilton Armstrong, like the next Patrick Ewing, a defense-first center in college who, anchored by skills few knew existed, will morph into a scoring force and perennial All-Star.

Cedric Simmons, like a poor man's Tim Duncan or Kevin Garnett, full of efficiency and savvy, will be capable of carrying a team for long stretches of a season.

Patrick O'Bryant, a better Jamaal Magloire, will hold his own in the post while providing reliable production.

All four of those scenarios could happen. But that doesn't seem to be a risk worth taking for the Hornets, who might have their eye on one of those four with their two first-round picks in the June 28 NBA draft.

Not for a team that looks to be a key addition or two from reaching the playoffs -- if the pickups already are familiar with the rigors of the NBA, have been productive and have some idea what to do on the court during the stretch run. Pickups that might be available and acquirable if the Hornets package the Nos. 12 and 15 overall picks for them.

"We saw the immediate impact of Chris Paul last year, but Chris was the No. 4 pick overall," Hornets general manager Jeff Bower said. "But you have to be realistic."

Realistic, as in knowing that not every pick is as prepared to play, and star, as was Paul, the Rookie of the Year.

"We think we will be able to get a couple of guys that can help us," Bower said.

How soon can they help?

David West's head swam as a rookie and spun in his second season before he broke through for the Hornets last season.

J.R. Smith will be entering his third season with the Hornets if the team can't trade him over this summer, and it could be a colossal mistake to give up on him so soon when, maybe, he needs structure and discipline more than a change of address. But it's because he hasn't developed as rapidly as hoped that the franchise even entertained offers.

In other words, no one has a clue how a player is going to react once exposed to the NBA game and lifestyle. But because the Hornets legitimately should believe they're on the rise, and already have a pair of young studs in West and Paul, they should be looking to now more than later.

The Hornets need a big man, preferably a front-line center, since the hope is that West has the power forward slot locked up. Williams (who played center at Duke but probably will be better at power forward), Armstrong (a center from Connecticut), O'Bryant (a center from Bradley) or Simmons (a power forward from North Carolina State) might fill the hole.

"The thing that's interesting about this draft is the number of players with size that are solid, quality players," Bower said. "We think there are seven or eight big guys that could go in the top 20."

That doesn't mean any of them will fit the Hornets' needs preferably to San Antonio free-agent Nazr Mohammed, who won a championship ring playing with the Spurs, or someone on par with Sixers center Steven Hunter, whom the Hornets acquired in a trade, then rescinded the deal because of medical concerns.

The catch, of course, is finding someone to play ball.

It takes two to trade, and a free agent has to want to join your organization. Absent that, the Hornets can pine to deal and can wine and dine targeted free agents until the object of affection gains 15 pounds, and strike out on each count.

Which would leave them exactly where they are, holding their picks.

"You're always trying to balance the long term vs. the short term," Bower said. "We think we have a realistic sense of their capabilities.

"But we're always asking ourselves two questions: What can they do for us next season, and what kind of player will they be three, four years from now?"

They're questions that more easily could be answered with an NBA veteran. He won't be a guarantee -- there are few "sure" things -- but he'd be surer than the alternative for a team that, based on where it seems headed and wants to go, at least needs that much security.

. . . . . . .

John DeShazier can be reached at [email protected] or (504) 826-3410.
http://www.nola.com/hornets/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/1150783124311680.xml

MoSpur
06-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Sign and trade for JR Smith?

davi78239
06-20-2006, 11:15 AM
OMG!! I'd sign and trade Nazi for J.R. Smith anyday! That would be a freakin bargin out the ass! Do it!!

Mr. Body
06-20-2006, 11:18 AM
It is theoretically possible to trade a s&t'ed Nazr Mohammed for a s&t'ed Speedy Claxton and J.R. Smith. The salaries work much better that way.

ChumpDumper
06-20-2006, 11:21 AM
We don't need or necessarily want the salaries to work with NOLA.

Mr. Body
06-20-2006, 11:25 AM
We don't need or necessarily want the salaries to work with NOLA.

I realize. I'm not sure if they're under the cap. But getting Claxton could allow for another move including Udrih.

ChumpDumper
06-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Getting Speedy back here is a stretch. I think there are still some teams out there who would take a chance on starting him.

ShoogarBear
06-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Maybe, but I've seen some alleged quotes by Speedy indicating that starting is no longer the big issue for him and if he had his druthers he wouldn't mind being back with the Spurs as the first guard off the bench.

MoSpur
06-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Signing Nazr and trading him to New Orleans for JR Smith would be awesome. I know Speedy has mentioned before that he would love to come and play for the Spurs again, but I am sure money will play a factor.

SenorSpur
06-20-2006, 12:24 PM
I'd love for the Spurs to come away with both J.R and Speedy too. THough I don't see a scenario where that would happen. I'd be happy if the Spurs were able to successfully revisit the Barry for Smith trade from this past Feb.

Brutalis
06-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Speedy left us to begin with for money or what?

ATX Spur
06-20-2006, 01:44 PM
I do think this sounds unlikely, but would be amazing if it worked out. I think Byron Scott and NOK staff are done with J.R., it sounds like they're just being diplomatic. I think Claxton is a fantastic upgrade from the little production we saw from Rumble. Even if he's still prone to being bitten by the injury bug.

degenerate_gambler
06-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Speedy left us to begin with for money or what?

That and Golden State gave him a chance to start.

clubalien
06-20-2006, 02:05 PM
s&T for jr smith makes so much since

think of it this way
nazr already leaving so it is basicly a "free player"

tony>barry we really need a backup
finely>jr smith or would smith start?
bowen>barry, we need a new 3
tim>scola?
ben wallace>javtokas

so see with manu and rasho traded for ben wallace
jr smith will see some play and we need to replace manu
with ben wallace here we don't need rasho or nazr because we are "locked" to sign javtoaks

we still have soem weaknesses liek back up gaurd so getting speedy woudl be worth thorwing draft picks at we accqured speedy for draft picks before

Nikos
06-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Speedy is the ideal third guard in a championship team. He is a good scorer, solid defender, and has decent point guard skills. Would of been awesome to have in the Mavs series.

ATX Spur
06-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Manu's not going anywhere, dreamers.

Ocotillo
06-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Hmmmm. If NOLA has an interest in Nazr and Barry maybe something could be worked out that would be win/win.

I hope R.C. explores this.

Also, might the Spurs have an interest in one of their first rounders? If so, look for one of the Spurs draft day deals.

Slinkyman
06-20-2006, 04:07 PM
s&T for jr smith makes so much since

think of it this way
nazr already leaving so it is basicly a "free player"

tony>barry we really need a backup
finely>jr smith or would smith start?
bowen>barry, we need a new 3
tim>scola?
ben wallace>javtokas

so see with manu and rasho traded for ben wallace
jr smith will see some play and we need to replace manu
with ben wallace here we don't need rasho or nazr because we are "locked" to sign javtoaks

we still have soem weaknesses liek back up gaurd so getting speedy woudl be worth thorwing draft picks at we accqured speedy for draft picks before

you wanna trade manu for a 32 year old overrated 6'9 center? no thanks!

ShoogarBear
06-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Speedy is the ideal third guard in a championship team. He is a good scorer, solid defender, and has decent point guard skills. Would of been awesome to have in the Mavs series.

Actually I would rate him point guard >> defender > scorer. But it's all good.

violentkitten
06-20-2006, 04:53 PM
if the spurs signed speedy then everyone would bitch about his lack of range on his shot

ShoogarBear
06-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Only one guy I know thinks "point guard" = "3-pointers".

Taking it to the Hole
06-20-2006, 05:11 PM
if the spurs signed speedy then everyone would bitch about his lack of range on his shot

Nobody was complaining about his range when he knocked down all those clutch jumpers in the finals, when Tony was fading, Speedy came to the rescue! I think it will be extremey hard to get him here though. I think there are more teams who will offer him more money, a starting job, and definitely more minutes. But I am all for moving either Nazr or Barry for JR Smith, but not both.

T Park
06-20-2006, 06:05 PM
He wasn't a fantastic shooter, he was quick, took advantage of that, and played smart.

Id most definately bring him back, but doubt he does come back.

violentkitten
06-20-2006, 06:08 PM
Nobody was complaining about his range when he knocked down all those clutch jumpers in the finals, when Tony was fading, Speedy came to the rescue! I think it will be extremey hard to get him here though. I think there are more teams who will offer him more money, a starting job, and definitely more minutes. But I am all for moving either Nazr or Barry for JR Smith, but not both.

what else did he do in those playoffs or that season?

exstatic
06-20-2006, 06:21 PM
Getting Speedy back here is a stretch. I think there are still some teams out there who would take a chance on starting him.
I think only Isaiah is that clueless. He's not durable enough, and had proven it repeatedly.

ChumpDumper
06-20-2006, 06:27 PM
So has Manu, but he's still starting.... :drunk

ducks
06-20-2006, 06:28 PM
I know his lack of range
he is not that great way way overrated here

Obstructed_View
06-20-2006, 06:42 PM
I know his lack of range
he is not that great way way overrated here
I just hope the Spurs get a backup point guard that doesn't get nine threads started about how pathetic he is every time he does something wrong. If they treated Tony Parker that way, AJ would still be the starting point guard.

exstatic
06-20-2006, 06:42 PM
So has Manu, but he's still starting.... :drunk
Speedy has played 290 (~48 per year, average) games in 6 seasons since his draft, including his wiped out rookie year of 00-01.

Manu has played in 285 (~71 per year, average)games in 4 seasons since his draft.

The most games Speedy has ever played is 67. The least games Manu has ever played is 65.

Not really a valid comparison at all.

ChumpDumper
06-20-2006, 06:47 PM
That was a joke (hint: emoticon) born out of frustration. We spend half the season waiting for Manu to recover from his latest injury and play in the manner befitting his pay. Speedy just does his team the favor of actually sitting out.

adonis827
06-20-2006, 07:51 PM
they need a center? try if they would want rasho in their team. if not maybe a sign and trade for nazr. they want barry? give a center and barry. we want jr smith. we want claxton. maybe a good deal might revolve around that.

T Park
06-20-2006, 08:39 PM
id send Barry Nazr and Beno to NO for JR Smith and Speedy.

Mr. Body
06-20-2006, 10:30 PM
id send Barry Nazr and Beno to NO for JR Smith and Speedy.

Giving up way too much there.

strangeweather
06-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Giving up way too much there.
Nazr's gone anyway, if we don't do the S&T. It's really Beno + Barry for Smith and Claxton. Which doesn't sound too bad to me.

Still, Beno isn't that expensive -- I'd like to keep him around as a #3 if I can.

Mr. Body
06-20-2006, 11:12 PM
Nazr's gone anyway, if we don't do the S&T. It's really Beno + Barry for Smith and Claxton. Which doesn't sound too bad to me.

Still, Beno isn't that expensive -- I'd like to keep him around as a #3 if I can.

Well, Nazr's salaray or Brent's salary alone would net Smith and Claxton, so it doesn't work salary-wise.

But if they do manage to finagle J.R. Smith and Claxton for Nazr, I'd consider hanging onto Barry for another year - you have some young guards there. Barry next summer only has one more year on his deal, so even more attractive.

strangeweather
06-20-2006, 11:14 PM
Well, Nazr's salaray or Brent's salary alone would net Smith and Claxton, so it doesn't work salary-wise.

But if they do manage to finagle J.R. Smith and Claxton for Nazr, I'd consider hanging onto Barry for another year - you have some young guards there. Barry next summer only has one more year on his deal, so even more attractive.
New Orleans is under the cap, so it doesn't have to work.

Also, we need to dump Barry's salary to take on more, especially if we trade for two more guards.