PDA

View Full Version : Dallas' survival guide

ducks
06-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Avery Johnson has been the coach of the Dallas Mavericks for slightly more than a year, but after what he's been through this postseason, it probably feels like an eternity.

The NBA's reigning Coach of the Year has dealt with three different suspensions of his players, started six different lineups, effectively used every man on his roster at various times and led his team to a Game 7 road win over the champion Spurs in the second round.

But for all the challenges Johnson and his team have met and overcome, the one that stands in their way right now is the biggest.

The Mavericks must win consecutive home games over the Miami Heat to win a NBA title that seemingly has slipped away from them over the last week. And after an emotionally devastating, gut-wrenching three-game losing streak in South Florida that has Dallas on the verge of elimination, Johnson will have to do his best job yet in preparing his club for Tuesday's Game 6.

Some of Johnson's job in motivating his club will be done for him. Never will his players be so happy to play in front of their home fans, and the return to Dallas undoubtedly will provide an enormous surge in energy for the Mavs. The nightmarish week in Miami that included two heartbreaking losses will linger, but once the Mavericks take the floor at the American Airlines Center, the crowd will help them put the bad memories behind them.

The return of Jerry Stackhouse – who missed Game 5 due to a league suspension for his flagrant foul on Shaquille O'Neal – also will provide a boost for Dallas. Stackhouse is the Mavs' leading scorer off the bench and is a tough, strong player who has the ability to counter the Heat's physical defense.

But it will take more than just Stackhouse's return and the change in venue to boost Dallas to victory in Game 6. Johnson and his staff have several tasks as they try to slow down a Miami team that suddenly is playing with great confidence.

1. Make someone besides Dwyane Wade beat them. For most of the series, the Mavericks have focused on keeping O'Neal under control, and they have done a great job. They've double-teamed him from all different angles, showed him plenty of different defenders, hacked him and sent him to the line and generally kept him under wraps. But in doing so, they've let Wade loose.

He's been the killer for the Heat, averaging more than 40 points per game the last three outings. In Game 5, Dallas did a better job of putting pressure on him, with Devin Harris and Adrian Griffin taking turns defending him. The Mavs sent some double teams his way and clogged the lane, making it difficult for Wade to find openings, and at one point in the second half, he was 6-for-20 from the field. But he made five of his final eight shots, and more importantly, an NBA Finals-record 21 free throws in 25 attempts. The Mavericks must figure out a way to keep him off the line, and they'll have to double-team him more down the stretch. Dallas played him one-on-one several times late in Game 5 and had no success. If I'm Johnson, I'm making someone else beat the Mavs with a perimeter shot by getting the ball out of Wade's hands – although eventhat didn't work on Miami's final possession.

2. Keep Josh Howard attacking. Finally in Game 5, Howard looked like himself. He pump-faked at the three-point line and then drove to the rim instead of shooting long jump shots. When he attacks the basket, he's too quick for the Heat and he'll have easier looks at the hoop and more trips to the free-throw line. (He shot 9-for-11.) Another big game from Howard is a must.

3. Find some room for Dirk Nowitzki to attack. Udonis Haslem and James Posey have kept Nowitzki out of his comfort zones by being very physical, and Nowitzki will have to meet the challenge and have a big game. He has bounced back from poor efforts in recent playoff games by driving to the rim. Johnson can help him do so by running Dirk's defenders off some screens, freeing up Nowitzki and putting him in a position to score. The stand-still post-up plays haven't worked well for Dirk, and he needs some space.

4. Even the free-throw disparity. In Game 5, Wade took as many free throws as the entire Dallas team. Overall, the margin was 49-25 in favor of Miami. At home, it will be easier to even those numbers. In fact, in Games 1 and 2, the Mavs shot three more free throws than Miami did. Dallas needs to use the home-court edge by attacking O'Neal at the rim and drawing fouls. Wade drew several questionable calls in Game 5, but that happens on your home floor. Ask the Spurs how they felt in Dallas when Nowitzki received several touch fouls at crucial times early in their series. The fact is, if you're aggressive and you attack – especially at home – you're going to shoot your share of free throws. The Mavericks can't bail out the Heat by settling for long jumpers.

If Dallas can right the ship and take care of business, the victory would set up a Game 7 on its home floor Thursday. Motivating his team for that one game would be the easiest job Avery Johnson has had all year. After all, home court in the playoffs is all about the deciding game – particularly in the Finals.

But to get to that point, Johnson must continue his magical postseason run and find the right formula to get back his team's edge. If not, Heat fans will be celebrating in South Beach on Tuesday night.

Steve Kerr is Yahoo! Sports' NBA analyst. Send him a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

texlawman
06-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Formula for Success= Show up.

I still think they are the better team and they hold serve at home.

DarrinS
06-20-2006, 01:26 PM
I hear these are being passed out at American Airlines arena tonight.

They double as a sickness bag and an identity protection device.

http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/u_museum/big_brown_bag.jpg

pache100
06-20-2006, 02:29 PM
I hear these are being passed out at American Airlines arena tonight.

They double as a sickness bag and an identity protection device.

http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/u_museum/big_brown_bag.jpg

Mavs fan ---> http://i6.tinypic.com/1537ms9.gif

bulletedge
06-20-2006, 04:02 PM
I gotta' admit that bag is pretty funny.

But if Dirk and the rest of the real Mavs who played the Spurs ever show up they still win the trophy. Of course, I would have thought that they would have shown up by now.

Dirk is so tight you couldn't drive a knitting needle up his ass with a sledgehammer. (Time for Spurologist- or is it Proctologist...to make a gorilla rape joke)

Dirk=CHOKER (so far)

DarrinS
06-20-2006, 05:15 PM
I gotta' admit that bag is pretty funny.

But if Dirk and the rest of the real Mavs who played the Spurs ever show up they still win the trophy. Of course, I would have thought that they would have shown up by now.

Dirk is so tight you couldn't drive a knitting needle up his ass with a sledgehammer. (Time for Spurologist- or is it Proctologist...to make a gorilla rape joke)

Dirk=CHOKER (so far)

Hell, why couldn't Dirk have gone into a shooting slump in our series? :madrun

Didn't the Mavs shoot something like 99.999999999999 freakin percent in game 7?

boutons_
06-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Game7
Mavs 53%
Spurs 47%

http://www.nba.com/games/20060522/DALSAS/boxscore.html

clambake
06-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Miami plays much better defense than the spurs. That's why.

haha

nbascribe
06-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Hello Doc, this is Dirk...No not David Hasselhoff.

Look I got Shaq's foot up my ass and it's not allowing me to hit big time shots.

Really? All I have to do is repeat the following three times? Okay I'll do it.

Mark Cuban is a mudda fukker...Mark Cuban is a mudda fukker.....Mark Cuban is a.....

Dirk stops as he sees his paycheck beginning to disappear from his wallet.