View Full Version : Cuban Fined $250k

LEONARD
06-20-2006, 01:05 PM

Mixability
06-20-2006, 01:05 PM
He's got a family to feed! Oh the humanity! :lol

texlawman
06-20-2006, 01:07 PM
I actually thought he got off easy. Money doesn't work with this guy. Should have banned him from the building.

DarrinS
06-20-2006, 01:15 PM
When are they going to fine him for that haircut? Now THAT is offensive.

Cuban + Tony Soprano = Moe

http://i.cnn.net/si/2004/writers/jack_mccallum/02/11/insider/cuban355x355.jpg

+

http://www.ganglandnews.com/tony_soprano02.jpg

=

http://www.threestoogesonline.com/images/PPHeadShotMoe.jpg

JMarkJohns
06-20-2006, 01:15 PM
The League is gutless. They had the perfect opportunity to whipe the smirk of this clown and they blow it.

Mixability
06-20-2006, 01:18 PM
The League is gutless. They had the perfect opportunity to whipe the smirk of this clown and they blow it.

Hopefully they have the guts to pay him back ON the court. :lol

Pistons < Spurs
Cuban says he didn't yell at Stern after Game 5

DALLAS -- Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has been fined $250,000 for several acts of misconduct following Game 5 of the NBA Finals, the league said Tuesday.

When time ran out in Game 5, Cuban ran onto the court to vent at official Joe DeRosa, then stared down and screamed toward Stern and a group of league officials, from the court, then the stands.

In his blog on Tuesday, the Dallas Mavericks owner responded to a column in the Miami Herald that described this post-Game 5 scene: "Cuban then turned to Stern and other NBA officials who were seated at the scorer's table and was overheard to shout venomously in the jubilant din, '[Bleep] you! [Bleep] you! Your league is rigged!' "

Cuban wrote that instead of yelling at Stern, he didn't say a word to the commissioner. Cuban also adamantly affirmed that he believes game outcomes are determined on the court, not in the league office.

"The games are not rigged," Cuban wrote. "That's a complete insult to the players on the court and the incredible amount of effort they put into preparing for and playing the games. All 82 regular-season and postseason games.

"The NBA couldn't rig the games if it wanted to. And it doesn't want to. It's that simple."

That sounds more like the owner Stern would like to hear. He said Tuesday that he believes Cuban's more vitriolic outbursts are "not healthy for either him or the game."

"I don't think he is crazy. I think he is smart. I think his recent loss of self control is not planned and not calculated, and I think if he could, he would like to have some of it back," Stern said in an interview on San Francisco radio station KNBR. "Because at bottom, I really do believe it distracts the players and that can't be good. It sets a bad tone.

"He is very smart, he has to take credit and should be given credit for putting together a great team and giving his fans the entertainment experience in that building which is terrific. But at times I think he loses control and that is not healthy for either him or the game."

Cuban was irate over what he considered a series of officiating breakdowns at the end of Dallas' 101-100 overtime loss to the Miami Heat on Sunday night. The loss left the Mavericks trailing the series 3-2 and facing elimination going into Game 6 in Dallas on Tuesday night.

Cuban, for his part, disputed that any of his postgame verbiage was directed at Stern.

"Apparently The Miami Herald is reporting I screamed at the NBA commissioner after the game the other night," Cuban wrote Tuesday. "Didn't happen. Didn't say a word to the man. Not a single word. And that was absolutely by intention."

"Apparently this 'reporter' [writer Greg Cote] has written he has several 'sources.' Well they must be the same sources the tabloids use to find two-headed babys and aliens, because it didn't happen."

Stern told ESPN Radio 760 in West Palm Beach, Fla., that he and Cuban did not talk after the game.

"Mark has a way of looking over in the direction of wherever I happen to be sitting if the occasion of calls or game action he doesn't particularly like," Stern said. "But that would not make him the first owner to do that. I did not speak to him at the end of the game."

The league was looking into Cuban's actions, but a league spokesman said Monday that Stu Jackson, the NBA disciplinarian, was not at Game 5 and had not reviewed what happened. Even if a punishment, which likely would come before Game 6 on Tuesday, is assessed against Cuban, the league doesn't have to announce it.

Cuban wore a Jerry Stackhouse jersey Sunday in Miami in support of the forward, suspended for a hard foul in Game 4.

A half-hour after Game 5, Cuban was still boiling during a testy interview with reporters.

He wrote a blog entry Monday explaining why he used profanity during a response to a question about whether this was the worst loss he'd endured.

"The reality is that it would be a waste of both of our time if I gave him the 'This was a tough one' answer, and a waste of my time to really think about it, particularly given there were 10 other reporters wanting to ask questions and we had a bus to catch," Cuban wrote.

His mind-set is perhaps better explained in a posting left a few minutes before titled, "Right is its own defense."

Cuban wrote about applying that catchphrase -- which he picked up from an old T-shirt -- to a business venture he's pursuing. He added that the slogan applies to the way he runs the Mavericks.

"I'm going to do what I think is right. Period end of story," he wrote. "You may not like that I want the officiating in the NBA to get better. I think it's the right thing to do."

NBA executives often praise Cuban for his passion, work ethic and high standards, even toward officiating.

It's his approach they're not always fond of, which is why he's been fined more than $1.45 million since buying the team in January 2000. That includes a $450,000 tab this postseason.

Still, Stern told ESPN Radio 760 that he wouldn't have a problem handing the championship trophy to Cuban if the Mavericks win the title.

"I've been doing this for a long time and I have a very good relationship with the Dallas franchise," Stern said. "I was there when it was formed. I was just visiting with Donald Carter who is a shareholder and the initial owner and is still an owner. I visited with Ross Perot Jr. who is still an investor and sold the majority to Mark [Cuban] and I spend time with Mark as well. Franchises in their own way belong to cities, in any event, and I would be very happy to award a trophy to either the good city of Miami, or the good city of Dallas."

Asked Monday night in an interview on Dallas television station WFAA if he would consider selling the team if he didn't see some of the league changes he wants, Cuban snapped his fingers and said "In a heartbeat. Yeah, if they drive me that crazy, in a heartbeat."

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and not seeing any different results. If they don't want to make things better, then what am I here for?"

Cuban practically turned getting fined into an art form after going from an owner of season tickets to owning the Mavericks.

One comment about him not hiring the league's head of officiating to manage a Dairy Queen landed Cuban as a manager for a day; he also donned pinstripes and officiated a Harlem Globetrotters game.

As his team improved, there were fewer stunts. He remained a visible, vocal critic, though, enough for some to suggest that his team ends up not getting the benefit of the doubt from officials.

Mavs supporters have brought that up again in the wake of three players getting suspended this postseason, with Stackhouse the most recent.

Dallas had a chance to win without its top reserve, leading by 11 points early and by four late in the fourth quarter. Miami ended up winning on a pair of free throws by Dwyane Wade with 1.9 seconds left in overtime.

Cuban had several gripes about the play that sent Wade to the line, starting with Wade not being whistled for a collision that left Dallas' Jason Terry on the floor.

"I guess that's not a call," Cuban said. "I guess that's not a foul."

An assistant coach later showed Cuban that Wade appeared to commit a backcourt violation before the contact with Terry. It's hard to tell on replays because of the giant championship trophy logo at midcourt.

"My understanding from the rule book is, if you are going to catch the ball in the backcourt, you have to be in the backcourt to catch it," Cuban said.

But the NBA pointed out Monday that there was no violation on the play, citing a rule that allows a player to go into the backcourt to receive an inbound pass during the last two minutes of the fourth quarter or any overtime period.

Between Wade's free throws, Dallas was charged its final timeout. The Mavs insist they were only talking about calling it after Wade's second foul shot so they could set up a final play and move the ball to the frontcourt.

"Josh Howard goes to Joe DeRosa and not only once, but twice asks for a timeout," crew chief Joey Crawford told a pool reporter. "Forced to call it, simple as that."

Something else Mavericks followers are quick to note: Wade alone took 25 free throws, the same number as the entire Dallas team. The Heat took a total of 49 free throws.

"I don't know," Cuban said of the discrepancy. "I guess they got fouled more."

CosmicCowboy
funny...Cuban says he didn't do anything.

The NBA is rigged ? Please..
Posted Jun 20, 2006, 12:04 PM ET

Im used to getting emails from fans claiming the NBA is this or that. The NBA wants a team to win based on market size. The NBA doesnt want me to win because the league doesnt like me. So and so has money on the game. The NBA makes more money when the series goes 7 games.

Its all nonsense. Any prudent, rational person can easily see it. The games are not rigged. Thats a complete insult to the players on the court and the incredible amount of effort they put into preparing for and playing the games. All 82 regular season and post season games. The NBA couldnt rig the games if it wanted to. And it doesnt want to. Its that simple

Do i like that i have gotten more than 12,000 emails in the last week and probably 80pct have questioned some level of honesty. No, I hate it. I hate it more than you will ever know because these are my customers, NBA customers, who are questioning our enterprise. Thats never a good thing and each one is a business hole I have to work harder to dig us out of.

Do I wish there was better communication from the league ? Yes. I dont like when my email box fills up with nonsense. Yes. I wish the league would just come out and explain events that occur in a game to the public. I think it would help the perception of our game. I think it would help fans better understand not only the rules of the NBA, but also the nuances, strategies and challenges of the game. I have suggested it. Many others have suggested it.

Getting an explanation pretty much eliminates everyones ability to question what just occured. Some media people have suggested that the same approach that MLB takes would work well. Simply allow reporters to ask officials questions after a game. Why not ?

Count me as a person who thinks transparency is a good thing in business. But this isnt my business. Im simply one of 30 shareholders.

Two other things. Apparently the Miami Herald is reporting i screamed at the NBA comissioner after the game the other night. Didnt happen. Didnt say a word to the man. Not a single word. And that was absolutely by intention.

Apparently this “reporter” has written he has several “sources”. Well they must be the same sources the tabloids use to find two headed babys and aliens, because it didnt happen.

Ive already blogged about and been fined for the source of my displeasure in these playoffs and there was absolutely no reason for me to say another word about it and i wont.

Back to the same “reporter”. He references the play call that led to Wades 2 free throws. Well there is a picture being sent around showing Devin Harris’s arm on DWades shooting arm. Well beyond not knowing if the contact was more than incidental, there is one thing we do know. It occured AFTER the whistle blew. Notice DWade up in the air, more importantly notice his eyes closed and Dirks hand no where near his back, and no real chance to get placed on his back, which is what triggered the whistle. This was at the end of the play. After the whistle blew.

Chalk up some more great reporting to the Miami Herald. The source of phantom comments. The source where I first learned that I owned a boat and had it docked in Miami
(BTW, the story referenced above still isnt corrected. Way to stand for accuracy folks)

To the executives of the Miami Herald.

Dear Mr, Mrs or Ms Publisher.
I am the easiest person in the world to get a hold of. My email is everywhere. If you want to know if i have a boat BEFORE you write that I do. Just ask.

If you want to know if or what I said to someone. Just ask.

Going to a source. Isnt that Journalism 101 ?

You are also the reason Im thankful for this blog. In the old days I would have had to make the rounds of media, doing my best to discredit your efforts. Now I can just write this blog, link and let your work discredit itself. Which is a whole lot more fun.

One Last Last Note:
Im a competitive person. My blog is an outlet for that intensity. I dont blog about the normal things in my life that make up 99pct of my day. I like to blog about things that get me fired up in the Sport of Business. The things i get fired up about. Ive been accussed more than once of having HID (Hyper Intensity Disorder….ok, i just made that up, but if it were truly a disease, I would claim that I had it). Not everyone likes that

LEONARD
06-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Cuban's Moe-wig is genius...especially the time it flew off and hit Del Harris in the balls and caused him to vomit his enchiladas on the court...

LEONARD
06-20-2006, 01:20 PM
funny...Cuban says he didn't do anything.

The NBA is rigged ? Please..
Posted Jun 20, 2006, 12:04 PM ET

Im used to getting emails from fans claiming the NBA is this or that. The NBA wants a team to win based on market size. The NBA doesnt want me to win because the league doesnt like me. So and so has money on the game. The NBA makes more money when the series goes 7 games.

Its all nonsense. Any prudent, rational person can easily see it. The games are not rigged. Thats a complete insult to the players on the court and the incredible amount of effort they put into preparing for and playing the games. All 82 regular season and post season games. The NBA couldnt rig the games if it wanted to. And it doesnt want to. Its that simple

Do i like that i have gotten more than 12,000 emails in the last week and probably 80pct have questioned some level of honesty. No, I hate it. I hate it more than you will ever know because these are my customers, NBA customers, who are questioning our enterprise. Thats never a good thing and each one is a business hole I have to work harder to dig us out of.

Do I wish there was better communication from the league ? Yes. I dont like when my email box fills up with nonsense. Yes. I wish the league would just come out and explain events that occur in a game to the public. I think it would help the perception of our game. I think it would help fans better understand not only the rules of the NBA, but also the nuances, strategies and challenges of the game. I have suggested it. Many others have suggested it.

Getting an explanation pretty much eliminates everyones ability to question what just occured. Some media people have suggested that the same approach that MLB takes would work well. Simply allow reporters to ask officials questions after a game. Why not ?

Count me as a person who thinks transparency is a good thing in business. But this isnt my business. Im simply one of 30 shareholders.

Two other things. Apparently the Miami Herald is reporting i screamed at the NBA comissioner after the game the other night. Didnt happen. Didnt say a word to the man. Not a single word. And that was absolutely by intention.

Apparently this “reporter” has written he has several “sources”. Well they must be the same sources the tabloids use to find two headed babys and aliens, because it didnt happen.

Ive already blogged about and been fined for the source of my displeasure in these playoffs and there was absolutely no reason for me to say another word about it and i wont.

Back to the same “reporter”. He references the play call that led to Wades 2 free throws. Well there is a picture being sent around showing Devin Harris’s arm on DWades shooting arm. Well beyond not knowing if the contact was more than incidental, there is one thing we do know. It occured AFTER the whistle blew. Notice DWade up in the air, more importantly notice his eyes closed and Dirks hand no where near his back, and no real chance to get placed on his back, which is what triggered the whistle. This was at the end of the play. After the whistle blew.

Chalk up some more great reporting to the Miami Herald. The source of phantom comments. The source where I first learned that I owned a boat and had it docked in Miami
(BTW, the story referenced above still isnt corrected. Way to stand for accuracy folks)

To the executives of the Miami Herald.

Dear Mr, Mrs or Ms Publisher.
I am the easiest person in the world to get a hold of. My email is everywhere. If you want to know if i have a boat BEFORE you write that I do. Just ask.

If you want to know if or what I said to someone. Just ask.

Going to a source. Isnt that Journalism 101 ?

You are also the reason Im thankful for this blog. In the old days I would have had to make the rounds of media, doing my best to discredit your efforts. Now I can just write this blog, link and let your work discredit itself. Which is a whole lot more fun.

One Last Last Note:
Im a competitive person. My blog is an outlet for that intensity. I dont blog about the normal things in my life that make up 99pct of my day. I like to blog about things that get me fired up in the Sport of Business. The things i get fired up about. Ive been accussed more than once of having HID (Hyper Intensity Disorder….ok, i just made that up, but if it were truly a disease, I would claim that I had it). Not everyone likes that

F bombs in the lockerroom is all that was needed...

DarrinS
06-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Cuban's Moe-wig is genius...especially the time it flew off and hit Del Harris in the balls and caused him to vomit his enchiladas on the court...

What? Really?

JMarkJohns
06-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Well, unless the writers of America got together before he treated them poorly and decided to all make mention of Cuban chasing around a ref and chasing after Stern and co. to humiliate them by screaming and cursing at them, then I don't see how CUban can be even believed.

In the AP story that crosses the wire 15 minutes after the game, they made mention and this was before Cuban's post-game tirade against reporters.

I don't think they are making this stuff up. Plus, they could be sued for liable.

1Parker1
06-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Ouch, that's a lot, though I guess not for him. How much is he worth again?

Obstructed_View
06-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Libel.

LEONARD
06-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Libel.

:lmao

Are they liable for libel?? :lol

aaronstampler
06-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Mark and AJ's philosophies on sportsmanship seem to be something like, "You want us to not be incredibly poor losers who whine and complain after every loss? Simple, just let us win every game and we'll be fine."

And the sad thing is Stern let you try that, Mark. But then you acted like a complete ASS on Letterman, taking totally uncalled for shots on Steve Nash and Pat Riley. So you showed that not only are you a poor loser, but if you ever won a ring, you'd be even a worse winner.

So you're getting what's coming to you.

boutons_
06-20-2006, 01:33 PM
"that's a lot"

Probably written off as a tax-deductible business expense, very probably NOT coming out of his personal after-tax checking account. Symbolic gesture carrying NO pain for Cuban.

Cuban is a fucking disgrace as an adult, and embarrassment to the NBA.

Go Heat Go

picnroll
06-20-2006, 01:36 PM
I'm guessing that there are some intelligent people in the city of Dallas that are thoroughly embarrassed by Cuban and disgusted with his behavior in representing their city, but so far that's just a guess.

J.T.
06-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Only $250k? Weak, NBA.

ATX Spur
06-20-2006, 01:58 PM
You would think the AAC was his personal playground the way he's running to listen during huddles, going to glare in Stern's direction, challenging refs after games...

LEONARD
06-20-2006, 02:20 PM
You would think the AAC was his personal playground the way he's running to listen during huddles, going to glare in Stern's direction, challenging refs after games...

He owns the team... :fro

Mixability
06-20-2006, 02:21 PM

and the arena?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Default Re: Cuban Fined $250k
I'm guessing that there are some intelligent people in the city of Dallas that are thoroughly embarrassed by Cuban and disgusted with his behavior in representing their city, but so far that's just a guess.

As pathetic as it is, everyone seems to have his back and to have bought in to the conspiracy theory.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Just get him out of the rest of the finals.

MadDog73
06-20-2006, 02:46 PM

So? That gives him the right to act like a little bitch?

With power, comes responsibility. Besides, the Mavs has other owners that I suspect Cuban is partly responsible to. I wonder how they feel about his outbursts...

CubanMustGo
06-20-2006, 03:10 PM
So? That gives him the right to act like a little bitch?

With power, comes responsibility. Besides, the Mavs has other owners that I suspect Cuban is partly responsible to. I wonder how they feel about his outbursts...

"Might makes right"
"The ends justify the means"
"Right is its own defense"

All three are Cuban maxims, and the last one is from his own blog.

Obstructed_View
06-20-2006, 05:32 PM
and the arena?
The city of Dallas owns the arena. Mark Cuban is just a tenant.