PDA

View Full Version : Dirk might be facing a lawsuit...

SsKSpurs21
06-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Reported in the Miami Herald

A Miami man said Monday he was injured when Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki kicked a basketball into the stands after Game 5.

Late Monday, the Mavericks' star forward was fined $5,000 for his actions, Stu Jackson, NBA senior vice president for basketball operations announced.

Michael Alan, a 63-year-old retired accountant, said he has been suffering headaches since Nowitzki's kick hit him in the right ear and right side of his face. ''I couldn't sleep because of the headaches,'' he said. ''It hurts to eat because my jaw hurts. If I continue to feel the way I feel now, then I will go to an attorney. I want somebody to say, `I'm sorry.'' '

Alan -- who said he suffers from heart disease and emphysema -- said he was rising from his seat when ``out of nowhere, a ball hit me. It's like a mule hit me. It knocked me down into my chair. I got a headache right away and my head was vibrating.''

His wife, Rosie, said, ``It was hilarious how ridiculously hard it was kicked. My husband has a lot of health conditions. He doesn't need this.''

Alan and his wife said they did not know Nowitzki had kicked the ball until they returned home from the game and turned on the television. 'I told my wife, `That's the ball that hit me!' '' he said.

Earlier this season, Denver forward Carmelo Anthony was fined on two separate occasions for throwing a ball into the stands -- $5,000 the first time, $15,000 the second.

Tim Frank, the NBA's vice president of communications, said he did not believe an NBA player ever had been suspended for kicking or throwing the ball into the stands.

Minnesota forward Kevin Garnett was fined $5,000 in February after he threw a ball into the stands. The fan who was hit was taken out of the arena on a gurney but was not seriously injured.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/14857571.htm

ATX Spur
06-20-2006, 01:53 PM
I know you're upset, but why would Dirk kick that ball? It's pretty myopic to think it won't come down and hit a kid or an older person.

greywheel
06-20-2006, 02:06 PM
especially at a point when people aren't necessarily watching the action on the floor.

Taco
06-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Reported in the Miami Herald

Michael Alan, a 63-year-old retired accountant, said he has been suffering headaches since Nowitzki's kick hit him in the right ear and right side of his face. ''I couldn't sleep because of the headaches,'' he said. ''It hurts to eat because my jaw hurts. If I continue to feel the way I feel now, then I will go to an attorney. I want somebody to say, `I'm sorry.'' '

Show me da Money!!!

Pistons < Spurs
06-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Haven't we all been hit by a ball when we weren't expecting it? It may sting for a second....but comparing it to being hit by a mule? Gimme' a break.

I'm sorry he was hit by the ball. And I of course think that Players should never kick/throw anything into the stands.

But this is ridiculious.

jman3000
06-20-2006, 02:16 PM
I was gonna say bull shit until I saw his age.

Dirk shoulda just channeled that anger into the excercise bike ... maybe he woulda actually done something to it.

101A
06-20-2006, 02:20 PM
If anyone worth tens of millions throws as much as a paperclip & it hits me??

Serious, and I mean SERIOUS trauma. I'd never be the same.

LEONARD
06-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Why didn't a security person see this and check on the guy?

It's not out of the question that he saw the replay when he got home and suddenly got a back headache...

and this is the 2nd topic on this ;)

Dre_7
06-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Ive been to several pro and college games. Basketball, Football, Baseball, Hockey, etc. And everytime right on the Ticket was something to the effect of "by using this ticket you assume all responsibilty for any injury resulted from objects coming from the playing field/court blah blah blah."

So this person has no right to sue. Seems like everyone these days is just after money.

ATX Spur
06-20-2006, 02:28 PM
It's still reckless and selfish, any way you slice it.

ATX Spur
06-20-2006, 02:29 PM
But I agree, this guy could have gotten hit and then started seeing dollar signs.

FUCKMARKCUBAN
06-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Ive been to several pro and college games. Basketball, Football, Baseball, Hockey, etc. And everytime right on the Ticket was something to the effect of "by using this ticket you assume all responsibilty for any injury resulted from objects coming from the playing field/court blah blah blah."

So this person has no right to sue. Seems like everyone these days is just after money.

difference is intention. sure dirk might not have intended to hit someone in the stands with his hissyfit but it be a little different if it came from a bad pass or shot.

ducks
06-20-2006, 02:33 PM
what would have happened if it him in the head in the wrong spot and killed him?
or knocked him out

he might be after money but dirk is not suppose to kick the ball that high in the stands

what is on the ticket is when a basketball might actually go to you can not scream foul

a ball would never go that high if someone was not acting liek a 3 year old

ducks
06-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Haven't we all been hit by a ball when we weren't expecting it? It may sting for a second....but comparing it to being hit by a mule? Gimme' a break.

I'm sorry he was hit by the ball. And I of course think that Players should never kick/throw anything into the stands.

But this is ridiculious.

have you been hit with a basketball that is dropped from a 4 story building on to your head?

SsKSpurs21
06-20-2006, 02:42 PM
iam sorry if this was posted twice. i check the spurs forum and this one before i posted, but i didnt check the second page because i figured the news was so current it wouldnt have hit the second page. i guess i asumed wrong.

ATX Spur
06-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Indefensible....if Dirk's tantrum happens not to hit anyone, then lucky for him...but you let stupidity control you and you punt a ball high into a crowded area, then you accept the consequences.

Pistons < Spurs
06-20-2006, 02:54 PM
have you been hit with a basketball that is dropped from a 4 story building on to your head?

Nope. But I've had a ball purposefully thrown at me from a close distance in an attempt for it to hurt me.

IMO the velocity of a kicked ball that comes back down would be less painful.

angel_luv
06-20-2006, 02:56 PM

But this is ridiculious.

Dirk put himself at risk by intentionally breaking a rule established for his protection as much as that of the spectators.

It was a childish, careless tantrum and if Dirk has to pay for it ( even if he gets charged for more injury than he caused), he has no one to blame but himself.

ATX Spur
06-20-2006, 03:06 PM
Nope. But I've had a ball purposefully thrown at me from a close distance in an attempt for it to hurt me.

Not the same, unless you're a 63 yr old man...or your opponent can throw as hard or harder as the terminal velocity of a falling basketball.

LEONARD
06-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Not the same, unless you're a 63 yr old man...or your opponent can throw as hard or harder as the terminal velocity of a falling basketball.

LOL...terminal velocity :lol

ATX Spur
06-20-2006, 03:29 PM
LOL...terminal velocity :lol

how about...what's the terminal velocity of Dirk's team's free falling? the fall from 2-0 to 2-3 and elimination?

FUCKMARKCUBAN
06-20-2006, 03:35 PM
i love how all the mav fans have a witty answer for the teams hissyfits.... terrys punch, stacks clothesline, and now dirks tantrum. then theres cuban, but cuban is cuban...always the bitch!

Holmes_Fans
06-20-2006, 03:37 PM
No way someone can punt the ball hard enough to knock someone out, by the time it made it to the 3rd level, which I highly doubt it did unless the AAA is really really small, it would of slowed down already.]

Look at where this article is coming from, The MIAMI HERALD. the same paper that thinks Cuban has a yacht and thinks he cussed out david stern.

I wonder if there is video of the man getting hit. How do we know a fan didn't catch it, throw it back with really bad aim and hit the old man?

bulletedge
06-20-2006, 03:57 PM
OOOPS... I spilled some of my McDonald's coffee on my lap...they make it too hot...they should have warned me...I'm gonna sue and win millions.

Damn...that actually happened, didn't it.

sabar
06-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Mavs fans will defend their team no matter what. If the ball kick hit a baby and killed it, they'd say the family is just after Dirk's money.

angel_luv
06-20-2006, 04:07 PM
OOOPS... I spilled some of my McDonald's coffee on my lap...they make it too hot...they should have warned me...I'm gonna sue and win millions.

Yes. There is a warning on the cup now.

bulletedge
06-20-2006, 04:18 PM
sabar- I think Dirk WAS aiming for a baby when he kicked that ball...but his aim is off so badly in this series that he accidentally hit the old guy instead. Actually, I am shocked that he hit ANYTHING!

sprrs
06-20-2006, 04:20 PM

And I'm sure the guy strategically placed his head to get hit by the basketball. :rolleyes

bulletedge
06-20-2006, 04:24 PM
I seriously doubt that Dirk was trying to hurt anybody. C'mon, I know you hate the Mavs, Dirk Cuban, et al...but really?

DirkAB
06-20-2006, 04:54 PM
No way someone can punt the ball hard enough to knock someone out, by the time it made it to the 3rd level, which I highly doubt it did unless the AAA is really really small, it would of slowed down already.]

You actually think the ball slowed down the longer it flew through the air? That is an interesting theory, do you think the ball put on its airbrakes once it saw it was headed right for the side of a 63-year old man's head? If it did, the ball must have more of a conscience than the Mav fans defending Nowitski for this asinine stunt.

BTW, he never said it knocked him out, but it very easily could have, he said it knocked him down into his seat. You don't believe that basketball booted across a gym could knock out a 63-year old if it hit him in the head???????

v2freak
06-20-2006, 05:04 PM
Why didn't a security person see this and check on the guy?

It's not out of the question that he saw the replay when he got home and suddenly got a back headache...

and this is the 2nd topic on this ;)

I agree, the security should shoulder some responsiblity as well. But like with the old man, the focus wasn't on the basketball itself as it usual is during the game. Are you really trying to shift the blame onto the folks at the Heat arena?

Show me da Money!!!

Where does it say he's going to sue for sure?

A rock and a hard place. Less painful than what? Bottom line is it's gonna hurt either way.

nbascribe
06-20-2006, 05:13 PM

You can sue if you're injured by a premeditated action. You just don't reach down and kick a ball without thinking about it...even in anger.

Also this guy may have a case because of the fact that Dirk violated a league rule.

don't worry this guy's lawyer, Isuyou F. Millions is on the case.

clambake
06-20-2006, 05:22 PM
He should definetly be sued.

For playing like a dog.

LEONARD
06-20-2006, 05:22 PM
I agree, the security should shoulder some responsiblity as well. But like with the old man, the focus wasn't on the basketball itself as it usual is during the game. Are you really trying to shift the blame onto the folks at the Heat arena?

Not at all...just questioning why an arena official didn't see it and check on the guy if it really happened. If you want the clip, there are cops and all kinds of people watching the flight of the ball. Surely they would've noticed that it slammed some old guy in the ear...

nbascribe
06-20-2006, 05:29 PM
LEONARD they probably do have a clip of it...and I'm sure that they've interviewed witnesses too.

That section has to be season ticket holders so I'm sure this guy is being legit. Usually STHers are all good friends from over the years and have each other's contact info if they are really tight with each other

Obstructed_View
06-20-2006, 05:41 PM
In a related Story, Michael Alan was fined $3500 by the NBA today for "willfully and flagrantly getting in the way of Dirk Nowitzki's punted ball." The NBA, who to this point has made sure to punish anyone making contact with the great white hope, said that Alan's endangering Nowitzki "could not be ignored."

Hook Dem
06-20-2006, 06:04 PM
In a related Story, Michael Alan was fined $3500 by the NBA today for "willfully and flagrantly getting in the way of Dirk Nowitzki's punted ball." The NBA, who to this point has made sure to punish anyone making contact with the great white hope, said that Alan's endangering Nowitzki "could not be ignored."
:lol :lol Very close to being true!

LEONARD
06-20-2006, 06:45 PM
LEONARD they probably do have a clip of it...and I'm sure that they've interviewed witnesses too.

That section has to be season ticket holders so I'm sure this guy is being legit. Usually STHers are all good friends from over the years and have each other's contact info if they are really tight with each other

And until something comes out other than a small article about it, there's no reason for everyone to get worked up about it...

Obstructed_View
06-20-2006, 06:48 PM
And until something comes out other than a small article about it, there's no reason for everyone to get worked up about it...
And until something comes out, you should probably start thinking of what excuses you are going to make to defend it or to be critical of everyone not associated with the Mavericks.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-20-2006, 06:50 PM

You're a complete dumbfuck Holmes Fan. Do you have any older relatives or know anyone older. One of my clients is two years younger than the individual in the article, and she knocked herself out hitting her head on a doorknob.

Older people don't take hits to the head as well as us younguns.

picnroll
06-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Refs ruled Michael Alan hit Dirk on the foot and free throws are being awarded.

LEONARD
06-20-2006, 07:02 PM
And until something comes out, you should probably start thinking of what excuses you are going to make to defend it or to be critical of everyone not associated with the Mavericks.

Why or how would I defend it? If the ball hit the guy and he's really hurt, give him some money and move along...bad luck...

I really don't give a flying fuck that Dirk kicked a ball in the stands...I think it's hilarious really...

picnroll
06-20-2006, 07:13 PM
I really don't give a flying fuck that Dirk kicked a ball in the stands...I think it's hilarious really...

If that was fucking hilarious that 13 year old girl that got killed at a pro hockey game when she got hit by a puck must have had you rolling on the floor.

LEONARD
06-20-2006, 07:19 PM
If that was fucking hilarious that 13 year old girl that got killed at a pro hockey game when she got hit by a puck must have had you rolling on the floor.

Uh, yea... :rolleyes

I'm not seeing the correlation there...

Pure genius...

v2freak
06-20-2006, 07:21 PM
It's a little extreme but the relevancy is that both situations involved things, that are meant to be kept in the playing field, flying into the audience and injuring/killing someone.

LEONARD
06-20-2006, 07:27 PM
It's a little extreme but the relevancy is that both situations involved things, that are meant to be kept in the playing field, flying into the audience and injuring/killing someone.

Ok...I think it's a LOT extreme....

Situation 1: A puck goes into the stands and hits a girl. It's immediately obvious that she's hurt REALLY bad. She eventually dies. Extremely sad and unfortunate.

Situation 2: B-ball is kicked into the stands and hits a guy in the head. Not ONE Miami official tends to the guy. He doesn't even realize what happened until he sees the replay the next day. Then he reports that he's having headaches and will be contacting his lawyer for an apology.

A LITTLE extreme?? :lol

picnroll
06-20-2006, 07:29 PM
What if that basketball kicked into the stands had nailed an infant in the head. I guess that wasn't possible though, right? Or maybe that would be fucking hilarious too? Get it genius.

LEONARD
06-20-2006, 07:33 PM
What if that basketball kicked into the stands had nailed an infant in the head. I guess that wasn't possible though, right? Or maybe would that be fucking hilarious too? Get it genius.

If that happened, it would be a BIG STORY...not some guy that got ZERO medical attention at the time saying he has headaches the next day...

Damn!! :lol

picnroll
06-20-2006, 07:36 PM
So Dirk knew he was going to hit some 60 year old guy who according to you would fake an injury and that's what's fucking hilarious?

NBA Junkie
06-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Dirk was extremely fortunate that he wasn't suspended in game 6 for his actions.

Garnett, BTW, was suspended in the 3rd quarter for throwing the ball into the stands in a game versus Memphis back in February.

I believe the NBA does have a rule in place that states a player risks ejection if a ball is thrown/kicked into the stands, but the Garnett incident is the only time I've seen it enforced.

milkyway21
06-20-2006, 10:33 PM
:lol

Tim Duncan (game 4), against Detroit sitting on the bench in the 4th Qtr trying to figure out why they are losing the game while Pops making :blah to him.

Dirk Nowitzki kicking a ball into the stands, then garbage cans.

2 Superstars. 2 Team Leaders.
Showing different composure on handling the ups & downs during playoff games.

that's why I love my Spurs. They got class.:madrun

caŽlo
06-20-2006, 10:53 PM
i cant believe how stupid some mavs fans are.

their supposed star acted like a spoiled gay bitch and hit someone.

and YOURE STILL DEFENDING HIM.

he may be after money or whatever but thats his right. hes the one who got hit.

i pity u guys.

whats next? say that CUBAN is the most ideal team owner of all?

gimme a fucking break.