PDA

View Full Version : Head coaching not easy Head coaching not easy

ducks
10-15-2004, 04:23 PM
Head coaching not easy
BY MIKE WELLS, Pioneer Press

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Randy Wittman and Sidney Lowe appeared to reach their personal goals several years ago, as NBA head coaches at Cleveland and Vancouver, respectively.

But there was a catch. They weren't coaching teams headed to the playoffs. It not only takes a talented coach to make a team better, it also takes some luck. An injury to a key player or off-the-court problems can quickly turn a good situation into a bad one.

ADVERTISEMENT
click here

What looked like good situations for Wittman and Lowe ended up being bad ones, as both failed to last longer than two full seasons. Both are now assistants with the Timberwolves.

"I would have loved to get a ballclub that was established to see what I could do," Lowe said. "It didn't happen that way, but I'm still honored to even have had a head coaching job in the NBA."

Wittman had talent in his two seasons with Cleveland, but he had to deal with injuries and problems with former all-star Shawn Kemp. Wittman went 62-102 in two seasons with the Cavaliers. Lowe compiled back-to-back 23-59 records, team records for victories at the time, in two full seasons with the Grizzlies.

Both want to be head coaches again, but when that time might come, nobody knows. Getting a job with a team that's in playoff contention is tough because those jobs usually go to coaches who have established themselves in the NBA, or even a college coach such as Duke's Mike Krzyzewski, who declined an offer to coach the Los Angeles Lakers.

"It's tough because you don't get a chance to get a good ballclub," Lowe said. "When they look back, and they look at your track record, they don't look at it as it being an expansion team or a young team. They just say here is where they were, and they go from there. It's no secret why some of the top coaches take some of the top jobs."

Neither Timberwolves assistant is willing to take just any job. Wittman's name was mentioned over the summer for the head coaching job in Atlanta. But Wittman, who played for the Hawks during his nine-year career, didn't want to have to deal with a team that's rebuilding. Mike Woodson, a close friend of Wittman's, is the head coach.

"I've become more selective in the process," Wittman said. "Those types of jobs that are open is the same type of situation I dealt with in the past. You want to put yourself in a good position. I looked around at it, but that's about it."

Wittman and Lowe use their head coaching knowledge to help Wolves coach Flip Saunders. Wittman is in charge of shootarounds, and Lowe helps put the game plan on the board in the locker room and scouts certain opponents.

"They've been there and understand it a little bit more," Saunders said. "That's always a positive. They know what the heat is when you move those 12 inches over (to the head coach's seat). Ultimately what is said doesn't matter. The head coach is the one that has to answer the question. They understand it."

Wittman's and Lowe's best opportunity to land another head coaching position again could happen if the Wolves continue to succeed in the playoffs. The trend is that talented assistants get head coaching opportunities if their team does well.

"It's just like you tell your players: You play your role, do your part, you win a championship and everyone is going to be rewarded," Lowe said. "I think that's what happens when you're on a winning ballclub as an assistant coach. If it's meant to be, then it will happen. I'm not in a rush, and I'm not pressed to do it."

Mike Wells covers the Timberwolves and the NBA. He can be reached at [email protected].

U
Yahoo! Shopping
NBA Ballers $24.99