Slinkyman
06-20-2006, 11:10 PM
we'll never know but i know heat>mavs

Mr. Peabody
06-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Heat were better this year.

George Gervin's Afro
06-20-2006, 11:11 PM
now i think we have to give the heat the benefit of winning the championship.. the heat are better than every team in the league... of course we were the second best

exstatic
06-20-2006, 11:12 PM
Hopefully, we can settle this next year.

spurs_in_7
06-20-2006, 11:13 PM
nope.....

tall ball>>small ball
riley>>pop

frequency
06-20-2006, 11:14 PM
nope.....

tall ball>>small ball
riley>>pop
wait what????!!!

picnroll
06-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Heat are NBA champs. Period.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-20-2006, 11:16 PM
The Heat have scoreboard for the next 365. And that's all there is to say.

AMOS7
06-20-2006, 11:17 PM
Heat play the best whenever it really matters, these playoffs have shown that.

Winnipeg_Spur
06-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Not worth arguing about. Heat are the champions, period.

ZStomp
06-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Who cares.......

jman3000
06-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Heat are the champs ... but the post about tall ball>>> small ball makes no sense... do you actually think we would have played small ball against the Heat?

:drunk

timvp
06-20-2006, 11:21 PM
The Heat have an absurd amount of talent. I didn't think they'd be able to put it together but they did.

There is no doubting the talent on that team.

TwoHandJam
06-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Heat are the champs for this year but that doesn't mean they are better than the Spurs. Team A > Team B and Team B > Team C doesn't imply Team A > Team C.

I do know one thing though. The Spurs' future >> Heat future.

GoSpurs21
06-20-2006, 11:23 PM
The Heat have an absurd amount of talent. I didn't think they'd be able to put it together but they did.

There is no doubting the talent on that team.maybe Ghost was right, Spurs should have gotten Payton this year...I would have taken him over HITA NVE...at least Gary remembers how to play basketball like a winner

DDS4
06-20-2006, 11:24 PM
I must admit I was very skeptical of this team at the beginning of the season.

I'll eat crow and like it for a year.

CharlieMac
06-20-2006, 11:24 PM
It doesn't really matter as long as it's Heat<Mavs for now.

Nikos
06-20-2006, 11:26 PM
I don't think their offensive talent in terms of role players had a lot to do in winning this series.

Their defense, rebounding, and hitting just enough timely shots got this series win. Wade was huge, Shaq was a solid presense but hardly excellent on offense. Duncan was still probably the best player in this playoffs. Ok, Wade was way better in the clutch, but Duncan statistically was just as good if not better.

I truly believe if the Spurs had some semblance of a big man next to Duncan in the playoffs they would have beat Dallas in 6. I mean Miami wasn't even close to as good as the Spurs on defense during the regular season. One simple weakness and the Spurs got badly exposed.

intlspurshk
06-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Can't argue with the fact that they beat Mav whereas SPURS failed. I don't matchup is a strong argument in this case.

picnroll
06-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Heat are the champs for this year but that doesn't mean they are better than the Spurs. Team A > Team B and Team B > Team C doesn't imply Team A > Team C.

People can say the same thing about all the Spurs titles

Wade is going to be a bear, particularly with these new rules interpretations.

Nikos
06-20-2006, 11:27 PM

The Spurs just need a fricking big man.

No more gimmicks and #1 defense in NBA in history in the regular season, and then have it blow up in smoke cause they don't have a player to matchup with player X on the other team.

TwoHandJam
06-20-2006, 11:37 PM

People can say the same thing about all the Spurs titles
I agree but that's a non-sequitur. My comment still stands.

Wade is going to be a bear, particularly with these new rules interpretations.True but he's only one player while our nucleus of 3 will still be in their primes. Shaq and Zo certainly won't.

Nikos
06-20-2006, 11:41 PM
I agree but that's a non-sequitur. My comment still stands.

True but he's only one player while our nucleus of 3 will still be in their primes. Shaq and Zo certainly won't.

I hope Ginobili holds up. Losing this year hurts because Manu is getting older. Duncan will be a beast for 4-5 years easy if healthy. Parker will be an excellent PG for years to come. Will Manu be able to play 27mpg+? Will he have a monster playoffs again? Will Tony Parker play to his potential in the playoffs?

The loss to Dallas hurts because I really feel that Detroit was the toughest matchup, and the Spurs would have avoided them. The Spurs had three offensive options to throw at Miami, while playing solid defense. Wade would have destroyed the Spurs, but it might not have mattered.

beirmeistr
06-20-2006, 11:48 PM
I don't think their offensive talent in terms of role players had a lot to do in winning this series.

Their defense, rebounding, and hitting just enough timely shots got this series win. Wade was huge, Shaq was a solid presense but hardly excellent on offense. Duncan was still probably the best player in this playoffs. Ok, Wade was way better in the clutch, but Duncan statistically was just as good if not better.

I truly believe if the Spurs had some semblance of a big man next to Duncan in the playoffs they would have beat Dallas in 6. I mean Miami wasn't even close to as good as the Spurs on defense during the regular season. One simple weakness and the Spurs got badly exposed.
Hopefully, the Spurs will take care of that weakness this summer.

picnroll
06-20-2006, 11:52 PM
It would be nice to get Rajon Rondo to help out with perimeter defense against elite offensive payers.

timvp
06-20-2006, 11:56 PM
I think the Spurs would have beat the Suns and then the Heat.

But that doesn't matter. Heat win. They have a very talented team who came together and played as one. That's what it's about in this league.

If the Mavs would have won, the league would have suddenly been more about who can complain to the refs more and draw late game fouls. Dirk had like three good fourth quarters in the playoffs. He didn't deserve a ring.

Wade did. And his magical season started back when he scored like 20 points in a row to beat the Pistons in the regular season.

Nikos
06-20-2006, 11:59 PM
Wade did. And his magical season started back when he scored like 20 points in a row to beat the Pistons in the regular season.

Yep. I remember that game. And I remember even thinking at the time if Miami stayed healthy they could beat Detroit (even before Wade's heroics) come playoff time. But I figured Shaq wouldn't be healthy. Turns out he was, and he did do some serious damage to help Wade beat the Pistons.

TwoHandJam
06-21-2006, 12:05 AM
Yep. I remember that game. And I remember even thinking at the time if Miami stayed healthy they could beat Detroit (even before Wade's heroics) come playoff time. But I figured Shaq wouldn't be healthy. Turns out he was, and he did do some serious damage to help Wade beat the Pistons.
Yeah, it sucks but shit happens and like all championships, you have to both be lucky and good. Having Shaq and Zo's health hold up and having perennial losers like Toine and GP actually contribute meaningful minutes in the postseason was against all odds. The Heat are the best this year but the shelf life of this team expired about 5 minutes ago.

MannyIsGod
06-21-2006, 12:13 AM
Heat > The rest of the NBA.

Give them their props, they earned it.

TDMVPDPOY
06-21-2006, 12:24 AM
the only thing i know shaq was scared to played in the west so he shift east, duncan has to go through powerhouses in the west to get to teh finals, wtf does the heat have to go through? detroit? that ship is also goin down. dont even mention the indiana feces, or the cavz, netz, etc....

toosmallshoes
06-21-2006, 12:45 AM
Heat > The rest of the NBA.

Give them their props, they earned it.
Hell yea. Go Heat. Could they have beaten the Spurs? Maybe so... The Heat became Dwayne Wade and Co. The Mavs actually did have a better team, but sometimes one player is all it takes... like when a goalie gets hot in the NHL playoffs. You've gotta give it to the Heat, but mainly you have to give it to Wade who has probably just earned himself a spot above his fellow draftees (The King and Melo) as the new face of the NBA.

polandprzem
06-21-2006, 01:04 AM
All I know is that Big Ben must take the MLE

2centsworth
06-21-2006, 01:14 AM
Heat are the best. Dallas fan makes that so easy to say.

Texas_Ranger
06-21-2006, 05:56 AM
This year no. SAS was better in the season agains them, and they would win them in the finals. But Miami is the champion so congratulations to them.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-21-2006, 06:26 AM
The answers on this board should be obvious/expected.

In my humble opinion...

TP > Jwill/Payton
Manu < Wade (not by much)
Bowen = Posey
Duncan > Haslem
Rasho < Shaq

They key in my opinion is TP. I think the Heat would shut down the lane, and he wouldn't be much of a factor. And by not a factor I mean, his stats and GP/Jwill's would be a wash.

D'Wade is a better player than Manu and would put up better stats, obviously. So he gets the edge here, but not as badly as Wade was outdoing Stack/Howard/Griffin of the Mavs.

Bowen and Posey are comparable players. IMO Bowens better, but whatever. It's close.

Duncan > Haslem ... by quite a bit. Haslem can't abuse Duncan in the post like he was Dirk. Duncan would command doubles.

Shaq is obviously better then Rasho. But Rasho has always played him well straight up in the past, and iwth a slowed down and older Shaq I don't see why it would be any different now.

So the starting line up is pretty much a wash...but the Spurs bench is much better than Walker/GP off the Heat bench. Plus things the Heat did to slow the Mavs down I'm not sure would work agains the Spurs. And I'd like to blabber on some more on this topic, but I have to bounce in a bit. I'll ramble later if anybody gives a fuck.

lebomb
06-21-2006, 07:32 AM
Yep, the HEAT are better. We lost in 7 to the Mavs, they beat the Mavs in 6.....therefore

HEAT > Spurs in 2006

Thats just the facts......I love my Spurs, but the Heat ARE the Champs.

Obstructed_View
06-21-2006, 07:33 AM
Heat brains >>>>>>>>>>>> Spurs brains

1Parker1
06-21-2006, 07:38 AM
I don't think anyone can know for sure, however, I do think that the Spurs would have made the Fianls more competitive than the soft Mavs. I would have enjoyed seeing what Wade could have done for 6 games against a real defender like Bruce Bowen.

Props to the Heat, though it kills me that assholes like Walker, Payton, and Zo now have championship rings, especially that Walker :depressed

No worries though, I really don't think they'll be winning any more or repeating any time soon. :)

Obstructed_View
06-21-2006, 07:43 AM
If smallball couldn't stop Jason Terry and Devin Harris, it damn sure wouldn't be able to stop dwayne wade.

Smallball <<<<< Mavericks <<<<< Heat.

spurster
06-21-2006, 07:44 AM
Props to Wade and the NBA champions.

But why did the Mavs have to wait to do their annual choke job? Why? Why?

CubanMustGo
06-21-2006, 07:46 AM
This year no. SAS was better in the season agains them, and they would win them in the finals.

Ask the Mavs how well this premise held up in the Finals. They totally dominated the Heat in the regular season.

But Miami is the champion so congratulations to them.

Exactly. Now they get to see how hard it is to repeat ...

ambchang
06-21-2006, 07:50 AM
I am pretty confident that the Spurs can match up with the Heat, but given that they are the champions now, my arguments will hold little water.
The Heat earned it, Riley outcoached Johnson and utilized his assets a LOT better than the Mavs, something Pop wasn't able to do.
BTW, the Heat are a MUCH better playoff team with Mourning instead of Shaq, and no, I am not crazy. The ball movement is better on offense, the defense is much more active, it's not even close.
But next year, barring serious injuries and dismantling teams, I will go for a Spurs/Pistons finals.

SA210
06-21-2006, 09:28 AM
Spurs>Heat

MadDog73
06-21-2006, 09:34 AM
This year no. SAS was better in the season agains them, and they would win them in the finals. But Miami is the champion so congratulations to them.

Regular season means shit. Game 6 was the first time Miami has won in Dallas in Pat's lifetime (I exaggerate, but Dallas owned Miami in Dallas for a long time...)

Spurs>Heat? Maybe we'll find out next year. We couldn't even beat the choking Mavs, so I'm prepared to say Heat>Spurs.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-21-2006, 11:04 AM
I kinda like being the not-favorites anymore because when we won the 2003 championship they thought the Lakers were gonna go for a four-peat. Then in 2005 they thought it was gonna be either the Mavs or the Suns. Now that we were the favys we lost. So it's for the best that we just stay under the radar and leave everybody to their opinion that the Mavs will be the favorites next year.

FUCKMARKCUBAN
06-21-2006, 01:39 PM
I kinda like being the not-favorites anymore because when we won the 2003 championship they thought the Lakers were gonna go for a four-peat. Then in 2005 they thought it was gonna be either the Mavs or the Suns. Now that we were the favys we lost. So it's for the best that we just stay under the radar and leave everybody to their opinion that the Mavs will be the favorites next year.

true that.

ps: gotta love that avatar #1

mavsfan1000
06-21-2006, 06:03 PM
Everyone is talking about Wade did everything for the Heat but Zo was a monster on defense. That guy was an animal and fired up his team so much. Congrats to the Heat and it was a tease for the mavs to win the first 2 games easily only for the Heat to regroup and become a monster.

z0sa
06-21-2006, 06:11 PM
well I'm happy the Heat won but I can't say I really picked them to go all the way, that is I actually believed the Pacers were going to make the Finals this year....