PDA

View Full Version : Riley > Jackson ?

Please_dont_ban_me
06-21-2006, 05:32 AM
Shaq said so. "Riley's the best coach I've ever had".

Riley has done more with less, he's built teams from the ground up in NY and Miami. People argued Larry Brown was better, but is Riley better than Phil Jackson? In my opinion...yes. He's Phil minus all the zen bullshit, and more appeal with his players.

:elephant

Please_dont_ban_me
06-21-2006, 05:32 AM
(and yes, this was also being discussed on the mike & mike morning show)

Doug Collins
06-21-2006, 05:43 AM
Just a random question, why are you always up this early dont ban? I´m always posting now cause I live in Spain and this is when im supposed to be doing work. I think Riley really proved himself taking this team to the finals. It helps a lot having D-Wade go into God mode, but this team didnt look anything like a championship contender the whole season. I give him props for taking over and accomplishing what he said he would, especially with the players that he acquired.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-21-2006, 05:47 AM
Just a random question, why are you always up this early dont ban? I´m always posting now cause I live in Spain and this is when im supposed to be doing work. I think Riley really proved himself taking this team to the finals. It helps a lot having D-Wade go into God mode, but this team didnt look anything like a championship contender the whole season. I give him props for taking over and accomplishing what he said he would, especially with the players that he acquired.

I'm more of a night person. I have class at 10, so I try to sleep by 3 or 4 so I can get some rest. I'm up a little later than usual today...have to prepare for a presentation.

It's not just the players he acquired, it's also the fact they believed in him. If it was Stan Van Gundy and this team went down 2-0 I doubt the same result ensues. The guy is respected by everybody, even his opponents. You think people in NY hate him? (Other than the Heats/Knicks rivalry games for obvious reasons). You can't say the same for Larry Brown, his ex-teams aren't fond at all of him.

If there's one guy I would want coaching the Spurs other than Pop, I would go with Riley. The guy is money.

Doug Collins
06-21-2006, 05:51 AM
No doubt. If this team even made it to the finals under Van Gundy, once they went down 2-0 it wouldve been over in 5. D-Wade wouldve won at least one game. Nothing but praise for Riley wherever he goes, and even when he gets criticized (the Van Gundy firing) he backs it up with a championship. Much respect.

NBA Junkie
06-21-2006, 06:25 AM
Riley's greater than Jackson, eh?

Jackson sports a 4-1 series record over Riley coached teams in playoff history.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-21-2006, 06:32 AM
Riley's greater than Jackson, eh?

Jackson sports a 4-1 series record over Riley coached teams in playoff history.

This is true.

If you look at the Knicks record this past season against some bad teams, would you say there coaches were better than Larry Brown? That said, it's true Jackson has a better record. But he also had the best player on the planet.

Look what Riley got out of Oakley, Starks, Mark Jackson and Anthony fucking Mason. He got players like that to compete with Jordan, Pippen, Kukoc, Harper, Rodman. That has to mean something.

NBA Junkie
06-21-2006, 07:02 AM
I'm not saying that Riley he is not a magnificent coach. He is. Just the fact that he was able to get a talented, yet aging squad to play together with no agendas is amazing since situations like this didn't work so well with the Lakers and Mavs of a few short years ago.

What you also say about Riley taking guys like Mason, Starks and making them into players is also true. But, let's not forget that Jackson is doing the same thing with guys like Smush Parker and Kwame Brown with the current Laker squad that he is coaching. IMO, Jackson's coaching job with the Lakers in '05-06 may have been his greatest in some peoples eyes.

Doug Collins
06-21-2006, 07:09 AM
I'm not saying that Riley he is not a magnificent coach. He is. Just the fact that he was able to get a talented, yet aging squad to play together with no agendas is amazing since situations like this didn't work so well with the Lakers and Mavs of a few short years ago.

What you also say about Riley taking guys like Mason, Starks and making them into players is also true. But, let's not forget that Jackson is doing the same thing with guys like Smush Parker and Kwame Brown with the current Laker squad that he is coaching. IMO, Jackson's coaching job with the Lakers in '05-06 may have been his greatest in some peoples eyes.

I was impressed with Jackson this year, as much as I dont want to be. That team almost got to the second round with shit talent minus kobe and odom. Im not gonna say Riley is better than Jackson cause Phil still has 9 rings, but I think he should be considered just as good of a coach.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-21-2006, 07:12 AM

Jackson did a nice job this year, no doubt.

But I would still say Pat Riley overall given equal talent is a better coach.

leemajors
06-21-2006, 07:28 AM
if 5 is greater than nine, sure.

strangeweather
06-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Jackson did a nice job this year, no doubt.

But I would still say Pat Riley overall given equal talent is a better coach.
What's your evidence for that?

The best player in basketball left for 93-94 and Jackson takes the team to the semis.

Jackson took a total nutcase that got himself chased out of Detroit and San Antonio and turned him into the #3 piece on 3 title teams.

Jackson won titles with Derek Fisher as his starting point guard.

Last year, the Lakers weren't close to the playoffs. This year, with Kwame Brown as their "big" offseason addition, Jackson nearly got them out of the first round.

Fabbs
06-21-2006, 09:27 AM
I thought Riley coached very poorly last night and was lucky to be out coached (suck-wise) by Stich last night.

Leaving punk ass Payton in, not only for that play where he was talking to the ref as the ball bounced off his vagina, but prior to that he had some lameo passes stolen, horked up three point bricks (along with Scant Walkers 0-6), took Zo OUT of the game and went with Snaq down the stretch.

Naw, i thought Riley was lucky as hell to have the Mavs meltdown.

I can't stand Phils *zen* phoniness either, but i saw no greatness in Rileys coaching this series.