PDA

View Full Version : Horry wants to leave good impression

Kori Ellis
10-16-2004, 12:16 AM
Horry wants to leave good impression
Web Posted: 10/16/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

NEW YORK — The last time Spurs fans saw Robert Horry, he was teasing them by making his first 3-point shot in Game 6 of the Western Conference semifinals after going 1 for 10 from long range in the first five games of the season-ending series.

When — and if — Horry enters the Spurs' exhibition opener against the New York Knicks at noon today at Madison Square Garden, it will mark the beginning of a campaign Horry hopes will erase the memory of his disappointing showing in the playoffs.

Horry remains moderately surprised he is even with the Spurs as the preseason begins. When the offseason arrived and the Spurs announced they were not picking up the option on the remainder of Horry's contract, he suspected the club might not want him back.

"I was a tad bit concerned," Horry said, "because I know in so many circumstances they only remember what you did last. You're only as good as your last game. I had an OK game the last game, but the four previous games weren't so hot.

"I heard all the rumors about Karl (Malone) wanting to come here, but I didn't worry about it. All I could do was take care of me, so that's what I did. I figured if they wanted me I'd come back, and if they didn't I'd just do something else."

The Spurs did decide to bring Horry, entering his 13th season, back to San Antonio. They expect him to be a change-of-pace big man and a locker room leader.

"He's going to spread the court for us as a (power forward), kind of European-style," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He's a tough guy to guard because he can do that. He's an excellent defender and somebody who will exert even more leadership than he did last year, when he was trying to get accustomed to everything and everyone. This year I think he'll be a little more vocal."

Said Horry: "I'm definitely happy to be back here, that's for sure. I had chances to go other places, but I really enjoyed last season, so I wanted to be back here. I enjoyed the guys and the coaching staff and I really enjoyed the city of San Antonio. I have friends that come to visit me in San Antonio, and they all say the same thing, how friendly the people are."

Like every other member of the 2003-04 Spurs, Horry did not enjoy the way the season ended, with four-straight losses to the Lakers. He became a recluse, not leaving his home for a couple of weeks.

"I just stayed in the house," he said. "I definitely didn't watch basketball. I wouldn't watch ESPN or Fox Sports. And if I was watching the news and the sports came on, I turned it off. I just didn't want to do anything.

"But one thing I did do was tell myself I was going to start early getting ready for the next season. I wanted to be ready for whatever happened."

Notes: Point guard Tony Parker met here Friday with his agent, Marc Fleisher, to discuss the progress of negotiations with the Spurs on an extension of his rookie-scale contract. The club has until Oct. 31 to negotiate an extension. If it does not, Parker will become a restricted free agent next summer.

Parker said he hoped Fleisher and Spurs general manager R.C. Buford might have a face-to-face negotiation before the club heads back to San Antonio after the game.

"I hope so," Parker said. "I don't know if they have a meeting scheduled, but we'll see. I feel confident we are going to get something done. It's gone pretty slow, but everybody knows the Spurs take their time. It's a big commitment, because it's a small market and they just gave $52 (million) to Manu (Ginobili) and they gave $120 (million) to Timmy (Duncan) two years ago. If they sign me, basically they can't change the team for six years because the three of us would be locked for six years.

"It's a big decision, and I understand that. It's OK with me. We'll take our time. If not, I will test free agency next year." ...

The radio broadcast of today's game has shifted from WOAI-AM 1200 to KTKR-AM 760. The move was made to avoid conflict with the broadcast of the Texas football game.

Solid D
10-16-2004, 12:40 AM
"He's going to spread the court for us as a (power forward), kind of European-style," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He's a tough guy to guard because he can do that. He's an excellent defender and somebody who will exert even more leadership than he did last year, when he was trying to get accustomed to everything and everyone. This year I think he'll be a little more vocal."

That sounds like an established role for the man. Now then...what will be Malik's role?

timvp
10-16-2004, 01:17 AM
Good to see that Horry actually cares. But yeah, he should be mad at himself for the way he played in the last four games.

Pop better not go with a committee at the backup bigman. He needs to stick with one and roll.

Hopefully that one is Rose.

xcoriate
10-16-2004, 01:28 AM
Either has benifits surely, Horry brings intangibles galore, I'm not so sure that Malik deserves to be first cap off the rank. The problem is Malik and Horry as "bigs" go are quite small, Horry has height but just isn't an inside presence and malik well... he got the the muscle but not the height.

orhe
10-16-2004, 10:49 AM
mehn i was watching the rockets spurs game back in 95...
and i thought... damn! Horry was REALLY good back then. i guess the lakers ruined his body and his style

bigzak25
10-16-2004, 11:19 AM
horry can play D for us against dirk and kg, which is cool, but i have no confidence in his playoff 3's anymore....and they shouldn't be counted on.

FREE MALIK!!!

ChumpDumper
10-16-2004, 11:23 AM
Dude owes us.

missmyzte
10-16-2004, 11:30 AM
mehn i was watching the rockets spurs game back in 95...
and i thought... damn! Horry was REALLY good back then. i guess the lakers ruined his body and his style

He's still got the style but he's got bad knees to go along with that now. As his body gets older he changes his game to still be the best he can. Otherwise you end up with Gary Payton who still thinks he can do all the things he used to do and looks like an idiot.