PDA

View Full Version : MATRIX ANYONE?: Here's one: Is Shawn Marion available?

ducks
06-21-2006, 08:28 AM
MATRIX ANYONE?: Here's one: Is Shawn Marion available?

That's at least being whispered around the league, primarily because it's obvious that new Phoenix owner Robert Sarver (think Mark Cuban without any redeeming qualities) is dead set against paying any luxury tax and the one salary he might want to shed is Marion's.

Says here that teams interested in him should be forewarned. He's great playing next to Steve Nash where he gets easy basket after easy basket but we saw in the post-season this year that he can be neutralized very easily. Just remember what Lamar Odom did to him in the Laker series.

The thinking is that the Suns will give the Marion-Nash-Amare Stoudemire trio a chance to work early next season but if there's a brilliant offer for Marion, they'll take it.

Luckily for Raptor fans, there's absolutely no legitimate fit with Toronto that Phoenix would currently take in any deal.

And, please, no one start the Chris Bosh for Marion junk, okay? Thanks.

Supergirl
06-21-2006, 08:30 AM
Letting Marion go would be a big mistake. He's more key to the Suns than almost anyone. But if they do, I would love to see the Spurs pick him up. I'd also love to see the Spurs pry Diaw away from the Suns.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-21-2006, 08:33 AM
Marion has done zero in the playoffs when it mattered for two years running.

Great in the regular season, zero in the playoffs. And for the max? No thanks.

Taco
06-21-2006, 08:52 AM
he's got a funky shot

George Gervin's Afro
06-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Marion has done zero in the playoffs when it mattered for two years running.

Great in the regular season, zero in the playoffs. And for the max? No thanks.

we already have Tony parker for this..one's enough!! :angel

DarrinS
06-21-2006, 09:29 AM
I would LOVE to have Shawn Marion on the Spurs.

He can play multiple positions. He's a rebounding freak. And, he plays pretty solid D.

If we got a player like him, he could play PF and Tim could move to center. At other times, he could spell minutes for Bruce Bowen (Matrix usually guards same players Bruce guards).

I think the only issue with Marion is whether we can afford him.

JMarkJohns
06-21-2006, 12:55 PM
Who wrote that?

First, sources?

Second, Sarvar just recently said he's not opposed to paying the luxery tax, so long as the team makes money, sells out its games and contends for a Title.

Third, Sarvar as Mark Cuban without the redeeming qualities? I think Sarvar is a little too tight with the pursestrings and too flamboyant along the sidelines during games, but I give him credit that after games, he's not all up in the media's grill, proclaiming the League is fixed or cursing out refs and reporters. To that I would say he's the lesser owner, but better fan.

Fourthly, Steve Nash is just the latest in a long line of varying styled PG's that Marion has played great with. The first, Kidd, pushed tempo. The second, Marbury, didn't, yet Marion still had two All-Star quality seasons alongside. Nash has helped one thing and one things only in Marion's case, his FG percentage. That's really it. He's been 20-10-3-2-2 for his career, not just past two years.

Lastly, in Toronto, Marion would likely play SF, not PF, thus his low-post liabilities no longer exist on a game to game basis. On the perimeter, he's one of the better defenders the League has.

How many licks does it take to determine how ignorant this writer is?

The world may never know...

ducks
06-21-2006, 01:07 PM
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...id=969907729483

JMarkJohns
06-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Link doesn't work, ducks, but thanks anyways.

MoSpur
06-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Marion is gifted athletically. I don't think he would work in the Spurs system though. That's just an opinion though.

strangeweather
06-21-2006, 01:17 PM
I think the only issue with Marion is whether we can afford him.
He's making Tim Duncan money. There's no way his salary remotely makes sense for the Spurs.

It's too bad, because I completely agree with you that he would be a monster in our lineup.