PDA

View Full Version : My friend had her premature baby yesterday.

easjer
06-21-2006, 08:52 AM
Because her contractions started again on Sunday, they moved her back to high risk L&D (she'd been moved to the antepartum maternity floor). Her water broke Monday morning, but they were still hopeful she'd carry past thirty two weeks. Hard contractions started Monday evening and continued overnight. She was given an epidural and told it would probably be another two hours. Thirty minutes later she was telling them she had to push, and in fact, the baby had descended into the birth canal, and three pushes later he was born - 6:45 yesterday morning. Three pounds, 9 ounces (but no idea of the length). Ezekial started crying right away, and received a 9 on his apgar (something unheard of in a 29 week delivery, frequently doesn't happen with full term).

D was able to hold him for about a minute before they whisked him to NICU. He's doing pretty well - he was breathing completely unassisted for about 7 hours, then started having minor difficutly, so he's on a nose tube with oxygen. Otherwise, his breathing is fine, no need for a respirator (amazing, wonderful, great news). The doctors are not worried about survival in any way, but he can't go home until he weighs more (at least 5 pounds) and can eat on his own - he's on IV nutrition for now, but they are going to try breastmilk later today via a feeding tube (too young to swallow). D is not allowed to hold him yet - the neonatalogist said maybe this afternoon or tomorrow - which is really hard for her, since she's been moved back to the post-partum wing and has newborns all around her.

All together, the three of them (mom, dad and baby) seem to be doing very well. Wish he would have stayed put a little longer, but D said he was just too curious.

Thanks for the thoughts, well-wishes and prayers. He's doing amazingly well so far, and we pray that continues.

angel_luv
06-21-2006, 08:59 AM
Oh I am so pleased the baby is doing well. I will keep praying. Congrats to your friend and her family.

Summers
06-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Glad to hear the baby is doing so well!

Carie
06-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Good news!

Summers, you shouldn't even be reading threads about premature babies with the way you've dropped. Quick, go read something about late babies!

Summers
06-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Good news!

Summers, you shouldn't even be reading threads about premature babies with the way you've dropped. Quick, go read something about late babies!

:lol I tried to deny it, but it's official: the ultrasound tech said he's already head-down and really low. Lovely! But she also said that doesn't mean I'm going to deliver early. :tu