PDA

View Full Version : Revisit the question

JamStone
06-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Right now, with four rings, does Shaq take over Tim Duncan as the better player ... RIGHT NOW? Wade did most of the heavy lifting for this championship, but still four rings is four rings.

What is the Spurs take on this? Timmy can still get a few more rings. And, this is likely (well not for sure, but I would assume it is) Shaq's last ring. But, as of now, does Shaq go down as the better big man?

Biased opinion or not, what do you say?

Amare_32
06-21-2006, 11:18 AM
With respect to Shaq he knew who really won this series when he handed the MVP trophy to Wade. Shaq was subpar in the Finals.
________
Buy Easy Vape (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/easy-vape)
________
Secret_Obsession (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/secret_obsession)

mike detroit
06-21-2006, 11:19 AM
seems kind of like apples and oranges to me

MadDog73
06-21-2006, 11:20 AM
Obviously, as a Tim homer, absolutely not. Shaq had 9 pts, 12 rebounds. In a Finals elimination game. I mean, Antoine Walker had better stats than Shaq!

Shaq rode Dwyane's coat tails, and he knows it.

Optimistically, I believe Tim will finish with more Championships than Shaq. But we can't afford to blow any more chances...

strangeweather
06-21-2006, 11:21 AM
I don't think that's unfair to say. Tim's still got a lot of time to control what the arc of his career will end up looking like, however.

strangeweather
06-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Optimistically, I believe Tim will finish with more Championships than Shaq. But we can't afford to blow any more chances...
And even if Tim just gets one more ring, he's likely to finish with an extra Finals MVP trophy.

MrChug
06-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Apples and oranges. But if the argument was broad enough, say "At this time, who is the more accomplished big man in the sport?", you could make an argument for Shaq I guess. When it's all said and done, however is the only way we can truly asses, after their career.

samikeyp
06-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Wade did most of the heavy lifting for this championship, but still four rings is four rings.

By that logic, Steve Kerr is better than DWade. :)

I think Shaq was the most dominant player of his era and possibly ever but Tim still has more to accomplish. I don't think its a proper comparison mainly because of the different positions. I will say this, IMO, Duncan is a better basketball player but Shaq was more of a dominant force.

ducks
06-21-2006, 11:29 AM
wade and kobe are better star players then what duncan played with

atxrocker
06-21-2006, 11:31 AM
shaq is barely a shell of the force he used to be. its overly obvious that dwayne wade led the heat to the title and is the best player on the team right now.

mike detroit
06-21-2006, 11:32 AM
wade and kobe are better star players then what duncan played with

very true

ALVAREZ6
06-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Shaq is a chode fuck.

Give Duncan Kobe and they will win every game.

MadDog73
06-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Shaq is a chode fuck.

Give Duncan Kobe and they will win every game.

If Kobe bothered to ever give the ball to Tim...

Shaq >>>>> Kobe. No way in Hell would I ever want Kobe on my team.

LEONARD
06-21-2006, 12:16 PM
No way...Duncan is WAY better than Shaq right now...not even close...

Obviously, as a Tim homer, absolutely not. Shaq had 9 pts, 12 rebounds. In a Finals elimination game. I mean, Antoine Walker had better stats than Shaq!

On 6/17 shooting...which is about par for the course for the "volume shooter" (ie, "not a good shooter") known as 'Toine Walker...

leemajors
06-21-2006, 12:18 PM
toine owned the mavs in the 3rd quarter.

DarrinS
06-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Why are we comparing Tim and Shaq? Tim is the best PF that has ever played the game -- PERIOD!

Shaq is ONE of the most dominant centers -- ever -- but there have been more athletic, better shooting centers (DROB, Hakeem, etc).

Fuck Shaq. He seemed like more of a role player last night.

Mavs<Spurs
06-21-2006, 02:56 PM
I'm a Tim Duncan homer. I make no bones about it.

But I think I can make a good case for it, using some of the points ducks and Darrin S brought up.

I love Manu and he is my second favorite Spur and I would never trade him and I expect him to return to form this coming year, but Wade >>>>>> Manu by a lot. In fact, now, I think most would agree Wade >>>>>>> Kobe by a lot and I would have picked Kobe for my MVP this year. IMO, Nash was a joke and a bad one at that.

So, like was earlier said, put Wade or Kobe with Tim and they demolish absolutely everybody. I believe that Kobe would pass the ball to Tim. But is he is supposed to pass it into Chris Mihm?

Shaq had 3 rings and 3 finals MVPs. Clearly, he will not win any more finals mvps. Tim has 3 rings and 3 finals MVPs.

But Tim is only 30. Shaq has not had a 41 point game in the playoffs or regular season in at least 3 years. Tim had it in game 7.
If Tim wins another ring (likely imo), then he will be finals mvp.

Tim was/is a better defender than Shaq (1rst team defense all NBA 7 or 8 years? ).
Tim is a much better rebounder than Shaq.

Shaq was a power player center and Tim was a finesse post player with enough strength to be effective.

They are kind of apples and oranges.

Tim is the best power forward ever. Shaq was one of the best centers.

Perhaps the best center of all time was Bill Russell.
How would he do against today's athleticism?
Second might be Kareem.
Third might be Hakeem
Fourth might be Shaq
Fifth could be Robinson

If I could pick any of those centers in their prime, I would have to pick Hakeem. And it's hard to argue against that.

LEONARD
06-21-2006, 03:03 PM
toine owned the mavs in the 3rd quarter.

He got a few reb's...I'll give him that...

The Heat won in spite of Walker...it's rare for guys like him to get a ring...

JamStone
06-21-2006, 06:29 PM
They are kind of apples and oranges.

Tim is the best power forward ever. Shaq was one of the best centers.

Perhaps the best center of all time was Bill Russell.
How would he do against today's athleticism?
Second might be Kareem.
Third might be Hakeem
Fourth might be Shaq
Fifth could be Robinson

If I could pick any of those centers in their prime, I would have to pick Hakeem. And it's hard to argue against that.

There was this one guy named Wilt ...

Bob Lanier
06-21-2006, 06:47 PM
It should be obvious that Shaq isn't a better player than Duncan right now.

But, over their careers, Shaq has been a better center than Timmy has been.

I'm not sure what rings have to do with this.

Rip-Hamilton32
06-21-2006, 07:10 PM
lol shaq is better then duncan for sure..and as for duncan as best pf ever..what about the mailman?

nbrans
06-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Where in the hell am I? When did Duncan EVER overtake Shaq?

Oh yeah. I'm on Spurstalk.

JMarkJohns
06-22-2006, 11:07 PM
I think Tim Duncan is the better player, from a skill standpoint. It's not unreasonable to think he even ends up with another one or two Titles to his name as well.

I think, to this point, Shaq has had the better career. He's been in the League 13 years and been in the Finals six times, winning four.

If the question was most dominating career or most dominating player, I'd have to vote for Shaq. Duncan is just far more skilled than Shaq, thus the better player.

samikeyp
06-23-2006, 07:19 AM
lol shaq is better then duncan for sure..and as for duncan as best pf ever..what about the mailman?

Up until a few years ago I thought Malone was the best pf ever. I think there is still room for debate because Duncan is still playing. IMO, when Duncan is done he will be the best ever for the same reason Malone was for so long. They re-invented the position.

Obstructed_View
06-23-2006, 07:33 AM
Stupidest. Thread. Ever.

So if Duncan's on the Heat instead of Shaq do they win the title? If Shaq is on the Spurs instead of Duncan do they go to the Finals?