PDA

View Full Version : John Stewart skewers hardfire crosstalkery buffoons

IcemanCometh
10-16-2004, 02:19 AM
Proving once again hes the best journalist on TV (http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0410/15/cf.01.html)

IcemanCometh
10-16-2004, 02:49 AM
Viddy this (http://bitflood.org:8080/?file=791b2f5d95a54d1381b85f271b51f71e73964185)

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-16-2004, 09:19 AM
This was fucking classic.

bigzak25
10-16-2004, 10:44 AM
John was talking about alot of partisan posters here as well, that mudsling everything they can at the other guy, while putting fingers in their ears and going naaanaaaanaaanaaannaaaaaaaaa when some mud is slung their way.

What John said is very much the truth. People voting for their guy, for the most part, are doing it because they think their candidate will do a better job.

Obviously, i'm voting and hoping Bush is re-elected, and I will be dissappointed if Kerry wins. But if Kerry does, then Godbless him, and I hope he can do a damn good job and adress some of the problems that I'm holding Bush accountable for now....healthcare for those that cannot provide for themselves, more accountablility in education, and in school discipline, bringing back the stronger gun control laws, and making sure our soldiers have everything they need over there, and are well taken care of regarding any healthcare they need resulting from injuries sustained, and that they are well paid, and their families that are left behind are helped more financially.

As for the War on Terror, I don't believe any other country will be invaded under Bush or Kerry. Both men will have to stay the course to bring peace and stability to iraq. I think some of the countries that Betrayed us, will like Kerry's fresh start approach, because it wipes their slate clean. They'll get to reap some benefits from iraq without doing any of the fighting....it's a slap in the face to all the countries that were with us from the beginning....but i'll hope and pray that it all works out,....Stewart's point that we should hold ourselves as citizens of America first and foremost and stand together for the betterment of the country is a valid one.

Spurminator
10-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Stewart makes some good points, however, he was also backed into the corner about his interview with John Kerry. He avoided the question by joking that it was only a comedy show, but he has been very pointed and serious when interviewing Republican guests, such as Rudy Giuliani a couple of weeks ago. And that's good, because he's one of the only journalists in a position to really cut through the spin and the bullshit, but he seems to pick and choose what bullshit he wants to expose, and what bullshit he wants to perpetuate.

It's a good show, but for Stewart to pretend he has no bias is laughable.

bigzak25
10-16-2004, 11:06 AM
i can def. agree with that spurm. good points.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-16-2004, 07:05 PM
Spurm, he DID have to finally take Guiliani to task. It would have just been spin-spin-spin from Rudy.

Spurminator
10-16-2004, 11:00 PM
I was spin spin spin from the Democratic representative before as well. That was the point of the show. The difference was, the questions posed to the Dem were along the lines of, "So you must feel pretty good about Kerry's showing tonight..."

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-16-2004, 11:11 PM
Yeah, but Wesley Clark acknowledged Kerry missed some spots, too.

All Guiliani did was bash Kerry.

Spurminator
10-16-2004, 11:39 PM
It was a comparable amount of partisan spin from both sides. Jon Stewart is a left-wing Dennis Miller, but with better material. I'm still waiting for a mainstream political comedy program or publication where I feel like I'm laughing at both sides.

Guru of Nothing
10-18-2004, 10:12 PM
Anyone watching The Daily Show right now?

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-19-2004, 12:42 AM
Spurm, Page Three.

http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/naes/2004_03_late-night-knowledge-2_9-21_pr.pdf

Yes, GoN, I watched it tonight.

Spurminator
10-19-2004, 08:21 AM
Interesting numbers, but I wonder how many of the remaining 65 jokes targeted Cheney, Rumsfeld or Ashcroft.

Are you really trying to argue that Stewart doesn't lean left with his material? I've said he's got good material... it's the best political comedy on television... but he's not the unbiased outsider that he portrays himself to be in the Crossfire interview.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-19-2004, 05:44 PM
That's just it. He didn't proclaim himself to be an unbiased outsider.

He came straight out and said he was voting for Kerry. He came straight out and said he doesn't agree with the administration. That's not some big secret.

Spurminator
10-19-2004, 05:53 PM
And that's my point. He picks and chooses whose bullshit he is going to expose.

Would he prefer that Paul Begala and James Carville simply have their own show where they echo DNC Talking Points? Does Stewart have a problem with Al Franken's show? Why is a show that presents reactionary bickering from both sides any worse than a show that provides reactionary bickering from only one side?

And why is it any worse than a show that professes to mock all politics, but has an obvious political slant?

It's all for entertainment. Crossfire and Hannity & Colmes don't have a responsibility to the public any more than Ann Coulter or Molly Ivens or Jon Stewart do. Their purposes are commentary and, more importantly, ratings.

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2004, 06:06 PM
Supposedly Stewart recently saw a drop in his ratings. Not surprising if true.

Spurminator
10-19-2004, 06:10 PM
He's alienating some of his viewers. Good comedy is not mean-spirited, and he's been trending that way for some time now.

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2004, 06:14 PM
Yeah, if Stewart is just going to slam Republicans now then he's not really offering that much different than a host of other comedians. He seems to have forgotten that the the liberal left in this country is as much a part of the establishment as anyone. If he wants to appeal to a young audience then he's gotta make fun of both sides. The South Park creators seem to understand that.

Bandit2981
10-19-2004, 07:24 PM
If he wants to appeal to a young audience then he's gotta make fun of both sides
obviously you never watch the daily show :rolleyes

Guru of Nothing
10-19-2004, 08:08 PM
Jon Stewart is a moderate who happens to lean a little left in this election year. With a different pair of candidates, he might lean slightly right. That said, there have been a few times I think he goes too far left. Food for thought - maybe the Republican party offers more opportunity to write funny material, present day. Regardless, his aim of late is the news media, not the political parties. Actually, his aim is purely the bullshit presented to us, be it from the media, or politicians - specifically, all this talking-point mindfuck bullshit disguised as journalism and political speechery (patent pending).

Like him or not, I think he has started something worthy.

Duff McCartney
10-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Tucker Carlson got owned....now he's crying like a little bitch about John Stewart...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041019/ap_on_en_tv/tv_carlson_vs_stewart_6

CNN's Tucker Carlson, Jon Stewart Feuding

Mon Oct 18, 8:03 PM ET

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer

NEW YORK - How's this for a feud that straddles the line between politics and entertainment: CNN's bow-tied conservative Tucker Carlson vs. "The Daily Show" host Jon Stewart.

Carlson on Monday fanned embers still hot from their "Crossfire" confrontation, saying Stewart looked ridiculous during his CNN appearance and was a sellout for publicly backing Democrat John Kerry (news - web sites) for president.

Stewart, appearing on the debate show Friday, angered Carlson by saying "Crossfire" is "partisan hackery" that does little to advance the cause of democracy.

And that was the mild stuff.

"You have a responsibility to the public discourse, and you fail miserably," Stewart said.

Responded Carlson: "You need to get a job at a journalism school, I think."

"You need to go to one," Stewart shot back.

Carlson complained that for a comedian, Stewart wasn't being very funny.

"Come on," he said. "Be funny."

"No," Stewart said. "I'm not going to be your monkey."

Carlson chided Stewart for lobbing softball questions when Kerry appeared on "The Daily Show" last month.

Later, Carlson told Stewart he was "more fun" on his Comedy Central show, and Stewart called him a jerk — although he used a more vulgar term.

"I thought that he looked ridiculous," Carlson said in an interview Monday, "and I think the tape makes that clear."

Carlson said Stewart continued lecturing the "Crossfire" crew after the show went off the air. "I wasn't offended as much as I was unimpressed," he said.

Stewart wasn't talking about the confrontation on Monday, a spokesman said. Comedy Central executive Tony Fox said there may be some regret over the vulgarity, but that Stewart has been a longtime critic of cable news networks and their political argument shows.

The comedian hasn't gone out of his way to endorse Kerry. In a public forum last week in New York, he was asked who he would vote for, and he said he'd back the Democrat.

Carlson noted that many of the great comedians kept their political opinions to themselves, not for fear of offending anyone, but because it could hurt their art.

"You're selling out," he said. "If you are a satirist or an acute social observer, and he is, and all of a sudden you suspend disbelief on someone or suck up rather than prod or poke someone, people will look at you and say, `Even if I agree with you, I don't like it,'" he said.

Fox said "The Daily Show" poked fun at people in power, regardless of their party. Most people who watch Stewart are aware that he leans to the left politically.

"I don't think it really impacts the show at all," he said. "The show does what it does regardless of Jon's political persuasion."

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-19-2004, 09:06 PM
And that's my point. He picks and chooses whose bullshit he is going to expose.

Would he prefer that Paul Begala and James Carville simply have their own show where they echo DNC Talking Points? Does Stewart have a problem with Al Franken's show? Why is a show that presents reactionary bickering from both sides any worse than a show that provides reactionary bickering from only one side?

And why is it any worse than a show that professes to mock all politics, but has an obvious political slant?

It's all for entertainment. Crossfire and Hannity & Colmes don't have a responsibility to the public any more than Ann Coulter or Molly Ivens or Jon Stewart do. Their purposes are commentary and, more importantly, ratings.

I think Stewart's whole point during his "Crossfire" appearance was that he wanted a show that wasn't full of "talking points" from either side.

He implored both Begala and Carlson to begin talking about real issues with real debate, not simply screaming at each other to see who's the loudest.

Hannity & Colmes - Fox News Channel
Crossfire - Cable News Network
The Daily Show - Comedy Central

It's certainly not Stewart's fault that Begala was smart enough to not pour gas on the fire and Carlson got dealt with handily.

Stewart's show dealt with the issue of gay marriage last week (or the week before) by talking about "gay" penguins. I don't see a whole lot of redeeming news value in that.

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Oh I've seen the show kiddo. Obviously I'm not the only one who realizes Stewart's POV. If you aren't able to pick up on it, well, that's not surprising.

Bandit2981
10-19-2004, 09:27 PM
i know he leans to the left, but to say he only makes fun of republicans is moronic...ive seen plenty of kerry jokes on there

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2004, 09:35 PM
Yes he cracks the occassional joke about Kerry. BFD. I see I'm not the only one in this thread who's noticed that.

Bandit2981
10-19-2004, 09:40 PM
Yes he cracks the occassional joke about Kerry. BFD. I see I'm not the only one in this thread who's noticed that.
really? you noticed stewart cracks jokes about both sides? so its just my imagination you posted this earlier?

Yeah, if Stewart is just going to slam Republicans now then he's not really offering that much different than a host of other comedians...If he wants to appeal to a young audience then he's gotta make fun of both sides
you're really off your rocker today slappy! :lmao

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Miller cracks the occassional joke about Bush. Does that put him left of center? Of course not. Try again.

Guru of Nothing
10-19-2004, 09:43 PM
Can't we all just get along?!

15 minutes from now, I will watch The Daily Show to see what happens next. This is very interesting.

Bandit2981
10-19-2004, 09:47 PM
goddamn boy, do you need reading comprehension classes or something? you said stewart needs to quit making fun of just republicans and go after both sides...he already does, apparently to your amazement. miller cracking a joke about bush is totally off subject of what you stated earlier, which WASNT about which way they lean politically...damn, you are pretty delusional today, i guess that wraps it up for tonight. get some rest. open up your magical lotion bottle. maybe tomorrow will be a better day for you. :lol

Guru of Nothing
10-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Supposedly Stewart recently saw a drop in his ratings. Not surprising if true.

I don't have raw figures, but Jon Stewart has a lasting demographic advantage (or at least I hope he does).

Nbadan
10-20-2004, 12:24 AM
Ummm...Marisa Tomie

http://www.digitalhit.com/fest/tiff/2001/5/d5c-01-041.jpg

Marcus Bryant
10-20-2004, 07:58 AM
goddamn boy, do you need reading comprehension classes or something? you said stewart needs to quit making fun of just republicans and go after both sides...he already does, apparently to your amazement. miller cracking a joke about bush is totally off subject of what you stated earlier, which WASNT about which way they lean politically...

Oh it's quite relevant. Miller is right of center and makes the occassional joke about Republicans. That doesn't make him any less the comedian with a conservative point of view, just like Stewart's occassional jokes about lib Dems doesn't change the fact that he is coming from a left wing POV. Pretty fucking clear, at least to those of us in this thread (and elsewhere) who aren't so dense as to understand that.

damn, you are pretty delusional today, i guess that wraps it up for tonight. get some rest. open up your magical lotion bottle. maybe tomorrow will be a better day for you.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't need the help. I hope this forum brings you the friends you seek.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-20-2004, 09:01 AM
http://homepage.mac.com/njenson/movies/dailyshowoncrossfire.html