PDA

View Full Version : I can't take anymore!

Ballcox
06-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Ok, I'm starting to feel like a crack head who hasn't had a fix in too long in regards to college football-and now that I've started reading the damn pre-season college football magazines I'm really desparate for the season to begin. So, I'm starting a general discussion thread on the upcoming season, of course being a Longhorn homer I'll mostly be bringing up info related to the Horns, but fans of other college teams (I know you're out there Brutalis!) feel free to join in on your team, position needs, conference races, upcoming schedule, etc. Basically anything related to the college football season. Let the crack smoking begin! :fro

StylisticS
06-21-2006, 05:09 PM
It took you until today to not take it anymore? :lol
I couldn't take it back in February. I love college football too much. I love it more than the NBA, NFL, and MLB. I am basically college football's bitch and I am a huge Longhorn fan, of course.

We will obvioulsy not go undefeated, its very hard to do it once let alone twice. I think we can still win the big 12, though. If we can get by OSU then ou in October, we will win the big12 south.

Ballcox
06-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Well, I had the Spurs to keep me going for a while, but after they lost the college football images started to float around in my head at night. This year undefeated? I don't know, if Vince had come back I would be very confident, but the thought of breaking in a new QB this season gives me alot of anxiety. My main hope is that Mack makes a choice for ONE guy to start at QB by the Ohio St. game. My memories of the Applewhite/Simms problem are to fresh in my mind, in fact I actually feel like breaking out the razor blade to start cutting on myself a little when I begin thinking about it!

So, hopefully McCoy or Snead will distinguish himself enough through 2-a-days and the 1st game against N. Texas St. in order to earn the start against Ohio St. My gut tells me McCoy is our guy, but I also really like the name for a Texas QB which makes no sense in deciding if he's best for the job. Other than QB, we've got to replace guys at LG and LT, find a good TE and then also find someone to fill in opposite M. Griffin at FS (his brother Marcus appears to be the front runner at this point).

Add all that in with games against Ohio St., in Dallas against a much improved OU team, on the road at Tech where we always have trouble, in Lincoln against a much improved Nebraska team and then finally at home to the end the season against an a&m team that REALLY wants to end a 6 year losing streak, and you've got all kinds of question marks. I will now go back to smoking the rock until the beginning of September. :smokin

StylisticS
06-21-2006, 05:41 PM
I know we won the last two times we won at Nebraska, but that game concerns me. Nebraska will be much better than last year. I think we beat Tech at Lubbock. We lose no more than 3 next season.

degenerate_gambler
06-22-2006, 09:18 AM
Ballcox I share some of your anxiety when it comes to UT's qb situation. Mack has already said that both will play and I dont think he's just talking about the season opener. Last year, Tressel played both Zwick and Smith and I expect Brown to do the same in the rematch. Let's just hope Mack doesn't emulate Tressel and keep the wrong qb in the game too long.

Offensively, even w/o VY and Ramonce Taylor as everyone knows, they've still got a ton of talent at the skill positions. But our strength this year will be the offensive line, where UT has 4 starters back and should give either qb ample time to make the right decision. If McCoy/Snead have time to get the ball to Charles, Sweed, Finley, Crosby, etc. the offense will be just fine.

On the defense, UT has 7 starters back. Chizik has already stated that this years defense has a chance to be special. They have more depth in the front seven than ever before and this years linebackers, Killebrew, Kelson, Kindle and Bobino are going to be lights out.

Obviously, the OSU and BlowU games are the big ones. I'm still not sold on Nebraska's re-emergance as a conference power and Aggsy has slipped so far that they are not really a factor whatsoever.

Dingle Barry
06-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Maybe Sherrod Harris will come in and do well and we can have a three QB rotation.
Has a QB rotation ever not sucked ass? I sincerely want to know. At the very least, it divides the fans.

Ballcox
06-22-2006, 02:23 PM
^ From what I've read so far, S. Harris is most likely a redshirt this season. He had a poor season his senior year and the coaching staff might be looking at moving him to another position, most likely in the secondary. If he stays at QB, he'll also have to contend with 5 star QB recruit Brantley, who arrives with next year's recruiting class out of Florida.

I do think our defense will have to carry us for a while this season until one of our QB steps up and starts playing consistently. I know McCoy has been in the system for a year already and that Snead enrolled early, but it's a big step to play D1 ball and you've got expect some growing pains with both of these kids. The defense this year could be amazing, the depth is insane all over the place and I have a feeling that this could be one of the better defensive units in the history of Texas football.

We've got two great starting DE's coming back with Crowder and Robison, but the depth is great. Orakpo should get in the mix, A. Lewis, C. Brown, L. Houston and super recurit E. Jones are all there, if not playing this season then stepping in next season and beyond. The LB group is solid, Bobino is projected to move to A. Harris vacated MLB spot, but I've also heard Muckelroy is making some noise at that position, and possibly Killebrew as well. I'm assuiming Kelson returns at WLB and maybe splits time with Killebrew at that spot, or possibley J. Campbell. At SLB, Killebrew again could be the starter here and I'm hoping big time recruit Sergio Kindle gets some PT here as well. The Secondary is also stocked with talent, with M. Griffin being the leader at SS after the departure of M. Huff. T. Brown and A. Ross are back as the starting CB's and then we just have to find someone to fill in at FS, maybe Micahael's brother Marcus or E. Jackson. All in all an outstanding defensive unit and one that I'm looking forward to watch play. :fro

StylisticS
06-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Will Harris ever get a shot to see the field barring any injuries then? Because Texas has two 5 star qb's committed to them as of right now.

Our defense will take some hits early but not the type of hits that will cost us a game, IMO. I think we will be better up front and our linebacking corp will be good. It's the secondary that worries me just a bit. Losing Huff and Griffin will be felt but we have alot of talent.

On offense, we will be fine in the backfield and wide receiver position. I think our Oline will be one of the best if not the best oline in the big 12 and all that experience will make it easier for Mccoy or Snead.

degenerate_gambler
06-22-2006, 04:21 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/dgnerate_gamblr/hookemhorns0152iw.jpg

StylisticS
06-22-2006, 04:29 PM
^^^ Beast

degenerate_gambler
06-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Kindle is a monster in that pic.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-22-2006, 08:48 PM
sometimes i jack off to the rose bowl :smokin

-mookie

mookie2001
06-23-2006, 02:10 PM
^
whottts a stunt?

-cbf

look at that picture of the lbs
bobinos standing in front, hes only 5-11 or 6ft
kindles like two feet back

thats derrick johnson size

look at the guys texas has lost these last two years that broke out their freshman year

benson
DJ
huff, at cb
VY

in 2010 kindle better not go lower than 15 in the draft

Ballcox
06-28-2006, 12:05 PM
^ Can't wait to see Kindle get on the field this fall, he has the potential to be a great LB at Texas. I'm still not sold on Babino at MLB, he looked at times last season to be a little slow getting to the ball, hopefully he's made improvements in the off-season.

degenerate_gambler
06-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Muckelroy from all indications had a good spring.

Jared Norton...can and should find some time on the field as well.

Ballcox
06-28-2006, 02:39 PM
^ Agree, but it ain't going to be easy with all the depth at the LB positions. You could also argue that the incoming group of LB's might be the best overall group in Mack's tenure at Texas. S. Kindle, J. Norton and D. Earnest-Kindle is the 5 star guy, but the other two are 4 star guys who were very successful at the high school level. Looking forward to watching their development. I'm also with ya on Muckelroy, he's gotten very good feedback from the coaches and could definitely challenge for PT at the MLB spot.