PDA

View Full Version : Embarrased Beyond Belief On NATIONAL Television

nbascribe
06-21-2006, 10:03 PM
James Ragland: Billions can't buy dignity in defeat

09:32 PM CDT on Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The sun rose bright and early on Wednesday, ushering in the first day of summer.

Unfortunately, for sports fans, Dallas started melting down a week ago.

It all began the day the city issued an ill-advised victory parade route for the Mavericks, who went on to lose their next game.

After that first loss, henceforth known as "the game that got away," everybody started coming loose at the seams – the owner, the head coach, the players and even die-hard fans.

It reached a low point Tuesday when the Mavs unexpectedly collapsed at home in front of an anxious and at times agitated crowd.

And then, with a national TV audience looking on – gulp – frustrated fans started booing while NBA Commissioner David Stern presented the championship trophy to the Miami Heat.

It was a tad embarrassing – almost as shocking as Josh Howard pulling his pants down during the game to take a bandage off his leg. (Guess he was afraid to call another timeout.)

Good news first.

Two experts in sports and business etiquette told me that, despite faux pas by the owner, coach, players and fans, the Mavericks and the city still came out on top.

"That's a tough one [to lose], but everybody in the world enjoyed the series," said Dr. G. Lynn Lashbrook, a Portland-based sports management professor and author of Fan Etiquette. "What a great franchise you've put together, and Dallas is such a great sports town."

Dr. Lillian A. Chaney, distinguished professor of management at the University of Memphis, has written extensively about business etiquette. She said the team and city would rebound quickly from any negative images it projected in the heat of battle.

"Honestly, for the short term it may be perceived negatively, but people do not have long memories for things like that," she said.

There's certainly a lot to forget:

• The tone was set at the top, with team owner Mark Cuban earning himself a quarter-million-dollar fine for misconduct, including confronting a referee after a loss in Miami and cursing during an interview.

"Stern doesn't know what to do with Mark Cuban," Dr. Lashbrook said. Fining Mr. Cuban $250,000 "is like telling your kid he can't go to Dairy Queen tonight."

Mr. Cuban also dropped the vulgar F-bomb in his blog several times, and then – much to my dismay – he comes out and defends his coarse language rather than apologizing.

"When you start letting that be a part of your blog, you'll start seeing your fans and players using it," Dr. Lashbrook said. "They'll say, 'If the owner says it, it must be OK.' "

Dr. Chaney put it this way: "[Mr. Cuban] has made his own little world – and the rest of us don't understand what drives someone like that."

• For some reason, even the classy Avery Johnson briefly lost control. The Little General, whom local sports enthusiasts started calling The Little Genius after he figured out a way to beat intrastate rival San Antonio, suddenly turned into The Little Geyser. He lost his cool and started blowing off steam.

Mr. Johnson took a page from Mr. Cuban's manual and insulted a reporter who asked him a question about a noncall during a tough Game 5 loss. Mr. Johnson later apologized for his unusual behavior, thank goodness.

• Team star Dirk Nowitzki was fined $5,000 for punting the basketball into the seats after Game 5. The outburst seemed tame, but it was a clear sign that the team was losing its composure and pouting too much. Seemed like Mark Cuban was everywhere.

• Dallas officials started publicly talking about a victory parade after two wins. Some superstitious fans think that jinxed the city.

"The next councilman that makes victory parade plans BEFORE victory is actually achieved should be taken out back of City Hall and shot!" one Plano reader declared in an e-mail to me.

Dr. Chaney agreed, sort of. "That was poor taste," she said, adding that a city should plan for such events but not release details prematurely. "You just can't do it."

•Finally, with our beloved Mavs cut down on their home court, some fans lost control. Many left the arena before the Miami Heat were crowned champions, but some who stayed booed the coronation – especially when Mr. Stern appeared.

Dr. Lashbrook said he dismissed the boos as a show of frustration. He doubts the image will linger. He's got a point – it's not like fans were tossing batteries or bottles on the floor.

"People are talking about the upset [of the Mavs], not [about] the fans," he assured.

Hundreds of people responded to a question this newspaper posed online: "Are you embarrassed at the actions of the Mavericks and the fans?"

The conclusion: some are, some aren't. But plenty of people are talking. That's a start.

Tuesday night was not a shining moment for Mavericks fans, not by a long shot. We must demand more of ourselves.

If Dallas truly wants to be remembered as a great sports town, we must lose with grace, dignity and class – and that goes for the owner, first and foremost.

E-mail [email protected]
Online at: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/localnews/columnists/jragland/stories/062206dnmetragland.ab7f81e4.html

Shank
06-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Yawn.

What else is going on?

nbascribe
06-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Hey this is ur town.....ur fan compadres...and UR writers......

See what happens when shit happens? It get's piled on.

Shank
06-21-2006, 10:11 PM
Actually, if I wanted to read the paper I would do so. I come here to be called names and dive head-first into meaningless arguments.

nbascribe
06-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Uh huh.....:sleep

RonMexico
06-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Shank is by far the biggest faggot on the planet... barely edging Clay Aiken and Jerry Stackhouse

Shank
06-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Atta boy!

dknights411
06-22-2006, 12:44 AM
The fact still remains that the entire Dallas Mavericks franchise dealt themselves a serious PR black eye in this series. If they are supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL basketball team, they should act like one.

This is why, no matter what happens on the court, the Spurs will always be better than the Mavs.

Darrin
06-22-2006, 01:55 AM
The NBA handed the Larry O'Brien Trophy to the LA Lakers in 2001 --- in the locker room. They handed the Pistons the trophy in both 1989 and 1990 --- in the locker room. There's a reason for that. It's not just because the crowd had a tendency to rush onto the floor. It's because fans aren't exactly rational as the hardware is handed to the other team.

I want to know what the hell the NBA was thinking?!?

Darrin
06-22-2006, 01:59 AM
This is why, no matter what happens on the court, the Spurs will always be better than the Mavs.

Stop it. The Spurs have never, ever been in this position before. You don't know what it's like to lose the NBA Finals - period. And the truth is, less than 10 minutes after the collapse from a 2-0 series lead, the Mavs' fans reacted badly, but it was understandable. If we're going to make allowances for Antonio Davis going into the stands, how about we cut the fans as much respect as the players?

The NBA cannot have it both ways. It cannot try to foster rivalries, sell fans on them having to be absolutely loyal, and expect that to stop when the LARRY O'BRIEN TROPHY IS HANDED OUT!

I took it as more booing David Sterm, Commisioner of the NBA. They didn't start booing until Dan Patrick turned over the mic to Stern.

J.T.
06-22-2006, 02:12 AM
Stop it. The Spurs have never, ever been in this position before. You don't know what it's like to lose the NBA Finals - period. And the truth is, less than 10 minutes after the collapse from a 2-0 series lead, the Mavs' fans reacted badly, but it was understandable. If we're going to make allowances for Antonio Davis going into the stands, how about we cut the fans as much respect as the players?

The NBA cannot have it both ways. It cannot try to foster rivalries, sell fans on them having to be absolutely loyal, and expect that to stop when the LARRY O'BRIEN TROPHY IS HANDED OUT!

I took it as more booing David Sterm, Commisioner of the NBA. They didn't start booing until Dan Patrick turned over the mic to Stern.

Yeah, after this playoffs I've gotta say F the league. Letting Lebron travel on two game winning shots just to advance past Round 1 is kind of sketchy to me. Then they turn around and call traveling real tight in most of the other series. Dallas gets the Willy Wonka Golden Ticket to the Finals on a handful of bogus calls against both SA *AND* PHX. Yet in the Finals they get screwed by the same officiating that got them there. Not to take anything away from the Heat. Wade owned them bigtime and a lot of the blame goes to the Mavs for choking. But anyone can see that Wade got calls. Wade got the calls that fouled out Manu and Tim. Wade got the calls that put Dirk at the line way too many times in endgame situations against the Spurs. It's sad that Game 5 of the Finals was decided in OT by FREE THROWS. I look at last year's Finals, and I love it even more now because it was decided by players. Not by who got to the line more.

The league needs to take a step back and look at what it's done. I don't know if it's possible for Stern to fuck his league up the ass any harder, but if anyone could do it, it's him.

Obstructed_View
06-22-2006, 02:43 AM

The Spurs went up 2-0 on the Lakers and lost four in a row. I don't remember the city, the fans, the players or the management doing anything embarassing during that. The Spurs have had as many playoff collapses as anybody. I've never been embarassed to be a Spurs fan. I'm certainly embarassed by my home town the last two weeks.

Doug Collins
06-22-2006, 03:59 AM
Shank is by far the biggest faggot on the planet... barely edging Clay Aiken and Jerry Stackhouse

:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

ChumpDumper
06-22-2006, 04:52 AM
Damn, those Mavs is whiny bitches.

bulletedge
06-22-2006, 06:33 AM
I left the arena before the trophy presentation solely because I did not want to watch Stern hand the trophy to the Heat. So, I don't know how much booing occurred.

But I will say that they put a closeup of Stern up on the big screen during a timeout in the game and the boos were LOUD. For me, I don't hate the Heat or their players- they did what they were supposed to do and won the Title. But I cannot stand Stern. So I bet that most of the boos were directed at Stern.

And like Darrin said- why didn't they present the trophy in the locker room since they weren't on their home court? They've done it in the past and it makes sense when a road team wins.

Obstructed_View
06-22-2006, 08:07 AM
Why would Mavericks fans hate David Stern? He had the refs cheat three teams to get them into the Finals. They should be thankful.

bulletedge
06-22-2006, 08:27 AM
Why would Mavericks fans hate David Stern? He had the refs cheat three teams to get them into the Finals. They should be thankful.

I know you cannot see why Mavs fans would hate Stern...at least as long as you have your "Mavs-hating Glasses" on.

Besides, the refs didn't cheat Dallas out of a championship any more than they beat the Spurs against Dallas. CHAMPIONS overcome bad calls, non-calls, whatever....that is why they become champions.

I have hated Stern for many years- not just as of these Finals. I just think he is a smug, East-coast, A-hole...the kind of jerk who thinks of Texas as a wasteland. I just hate the arrogant East coast mentality that guys like Stern represent. Go do some business in NYC and you'll see what I mean.

BTW...these folks look with disdain on all of Texas and Texans...and that includes San Antonio.

ChumpDumper
06-22-2006, 11:18 AM
And like Darrin said- why didn't they present the trophy in the locker room since they weren't on their home court? They've done it in the past and it makes sense when a road team wins.Because fuck 'em as Cuban would say. Those whiny bitches can just leave if they don't like it.

DarrinS
06-22-2006, 11:54 AM
I just think he is a smug, East-coast, A-hole...

Man, I thought you were talking about Mark Cuban.

Darrin
06-22-2006, 12:19 PM
The Spurs went up 2-0 on the Lakers and lost four in a row. I don't remember the city, the fans, the players or the management doing anything embarassing during that. The Spurs have had as many playoff collapses as anybody. I've never been embarassed to be a Spurs fan. I'm certainly embarassed by my home town the last two weeks.

You didn't have 15 Lakers players standing on SBC's floor while David Stern handed them a trophy, celebrated that series win at your favorite team's expense.

It's a different experience when a Championship is involved. Why is that so hard to understand?

And I wouldn't claim moral high ground over the Mavs. I've seen a lot of dancing on the graves in their past two days.

MadDog73
06-22-2006, 12:33 PM
The NBA handed the Larry O'Brien Trophy to the LA Lakers in 2001 --- in the locker room. They handed the Pistons the trophy in both 1989 and 1990 --- in the locker room. There's a reason for that. It's not just because the crowd had a tendency to rush onto the floor. It's because fans aren't exactly rational as the hardware is handed to the other team.

I want to know what the hell the NBA was thinking?!?

In 1999 they gave the Spurs the trophy on New York's home floor!

And, hard to believe, I think there was some scattered cheers through the boos!

It's funny listening to Spurs get on their high horse, we boo Stern even when we win. :lol

Darrin
06-22-2006, 12:42 PM
In 1999 they gave the Spurs the trophy on New York's home floor!

And, hard to believe, I think there was some scattered cheers through the boos!

It's funny listening to Spurs get on their high horse, we boo Stern even when we win. :lol

Deputy Commisioner Russ Granik was at a game a few years ago. The Pistons were retiring Joe Dumars' number and Granik was the voice of the league that informed the crowd the Sportsmanship Award would be named in Joe Dumars' honor, the first such player to ever have that honor. When George Blaha said "Deputy Commisioner Russ Granik," you would've thought Ron Artest had walked out onto the floor.

Obstructed_View
06-22-2006, 02:44 PM
I know you cannot see why Mavs fans would hate Stern...at least as long as you have your "Mavs-hating Glasses" on.

Besides, the refs didn't cheat Dallas out of a championship any more than they beat the Spurs against Dallas. CHAMPIONS overcome bad calls, non-calls, whatever....that is why they become champions.

I have hated Stern for many years- not just as of these Finals. I just think he is a smug, East-coast, A-hole...the kind of jerk who thinks of Texas as a wasteland. I just hate the arrogant East coast mentality that guys like Stern represent. Go do some business in NYC and you'll see what I mean.

BTW...these folks look with disdain on all of Texas and Texans...and that includes San Antonio.
I live in Dallas. I don't give a shit what New Yorkers think of me. David Stern has made the NBA great. The whiny crybaby conspiracy monger pseudo-fans have made it embarassing, and nobody embodies that better than the city of Dallas this year.

Going back to your first paragraph, you seem to believe that the Mavs fans have a reason to dislike David Stern. So much for the rest of your post.

Obstructed_View
06-22-2006, 02:48 PM
You didn't have 15 Lakers players standing on SBC's floor while David Stern handed them a trophy, celebrated that series win at your favorite team's expense.

It's a different experience when a Championship is involved. Why is that so hard to understand?

And I wouldn't claim moral high ground over the Mavs. I've seen a lot of dancing on the graves in their past two days.
Whatever. You have this broad understanding because your team lost in the Finals. As I remember it your team and fans handled it with class, as did a large chunk of the Piston posters here. Do yourself a favor and try not to associate yourself with the Mavericks.

The fans in New York behaved much better in '99. And the grave-dancing is all very much deserved by the ignorant mav trolls that showed up here when their newly adopted team suddenly got competitive.

Crookshanks
06-22-2006, 03:17 PM
The Heat had fans in Dallas and they also had their family and friends in attendance. They won a hard-fought victory and they had every right to celebrate it with their fans and families.

Besides, if it wasn't for the stupid 2-3-2 format, they would have been on their home floor!!

mabber
06-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Actually, if I wanted to read the paper I would do so. I come here to be called names and dive head-first into meaningless arguments.

Yeah, you've (we've) definitely come to the right place for that :lol These Spurs fans are absolutely obsessed with bashing Dallas & the Mavericks. I can't imagine some Mav fan posting an article about the Spurs in a Mav forum 6 weeks after their season ended. It's friggin unbelievable & funny at the same time. :lol

Extra Stout
06-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Spurs fans booed David Stern on the podium during both the 2003 and 2005 trophy presentations.

bulletedge
06-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Spurs fans booed David Stern on the podium during both the 2003 and 2005 trophy presentations.

Thanks for a honest post although I AM shocked to hear that this type of thing goes on anywhere but in classless, thug-ridden Dallas. Absolutely shocked.

kalikot_boy_kr
06-22-2006, 10:24 PM
yaaawwwnnn! this is shacking! all nation read this.....thats why the whle world hate this organization.....