PDA

View Full Version : The Prodigal Son

SPARKY
06-21-2006, 11:04 PM
http://img.sports.tom.com/img/assets/200412/041210073826Stephen%20Jackson.jpg

Life's been interesting for Jack since he left SA. A year's penance with the Hawks, PAYDAY, fisticuffs with Piston Fan, and now malaise in Indiana.

One wonders how the '04 and '06 playoffs would have gone with Jack wearing the Silver & Black.

We'll never know, for Jack passed up the chance to stay with the World Champs in '03 to pursue greater riches.

Now Jack is at a crossroads between his past and his future, much like the Spurs find themselves needing to adjust to a league with ever evolving rules.

Jack needs the Spurs and the Spurs need Jack. He's shown what he can do on a championship level. The Spurs have shown what they can do for him.

Today's league is made for a guy like Jack, a guy who can put it on the floor or knock down the J. The Spurs could use another scorer with his range. They could use one like him who's not afraid to take some big shots. One not afraid to drive, take the hit, and get to the line. One not afraid to take championship winning shots. One with the guts to rally a team back on the road from 15 down and into the NBA Finals.

With Rose and Rasho's contracts gone the Spurs have removed $38 million in salary commitments from 2006-07 to 2008-09. Should Barry be moved this summer that's another $10 mil or so.

Finley was nice this season, but I'm not sure how much I'd want to depend on him going forward in the swing rotation. Horry is on his way out, likely next season. The Spurs need a big game shooter. They need a scorer. They need some size in the swingman rotation. Tim Duncan is 30 years old. Now is no time to wait. The Pacers are ready to blow up their team. It's time to welcome back Jack, the Spurs' Prodigal Son.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/2003/playoffs/news/2003/06/15/jackson_sider_ap/t1_jackson_ap.jpg

leemajors
06-21-2006, 11:05 PM
pass.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Go for him with anything besides the big three.

exstatic
06-21-2006, 11:26 PM
As long as he leaves that "Prodigal suit" behind, I'm down. Shit looks like leftovers from Wink Martindale's game show wardrobe.

picnroll
06-21-2006, 11:28 PM
That ship sailed and sank.

exstatic
06-21-2006, 11:31 PM
The only thing that "sank" was clutch 3 pointer after clutch 3 pointer in the playoffs.

T Park
06-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Bring him on back.

Do whatever it takes.

Barry, Scola, Oberto, all three, WHATEVER.

Guru of Nothing
06-21-2006, 11:34 PM
Jax > Finely ... is there a choice?

leemajors
06-21-2006, 11:37 PM
what are the chances of him accepting a limited role anyway? manu is gonna start and deserves to start over jax. jax left for money and his ego wouldn't let him take a secondary role.

picnroll
06-21-2006, 11:37 PM
The only thing that "sank" was clutch 3 pointer after clutch 3 pointer in the playoffs.
You must not have caught the Pacers' playoffs. Jack upped his level of bad decision making ten fold. I'll bet anything Jack is nowhere near Pop's radar.

T Park
06-21-2006, 11:40 PM
I'll bet anything Jack is nowhere near Pop's radar.

If Indiana offered him in a trade, there would be a press conference five minutes after that phone call announcing a trade had been done.

That simple.

SPARKY
06-21-2006, 11:41 PM
You must not have caught the Pacers' playoffs. Jack upped his level of bad decision making ten fold. I'll bet anything Jack is nowhere near Pop's radar.

Again, Jack needs the Spurs' system and discipline and the Spurs need his scoring, shooting, and, well, nuts.

picnroll
06-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Some rumors have it Pacers would like to move Jack.

ShoogarBear
06-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Bwahahahahahah!!!

http://www.adjab.com/media/2006/06/winkorbitz150.jpg

Dre_7
06-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Ill take a good backup PG before Jax.

Bob Lanier
06-21-2006, 11:53 PM
If Indiana offered him in a trade, there would be a press conference five minutes after that phone call announcing a trade had been done.

That simple.
If anyone wanted him from Indiana, Bird would hold a press conference five minutes after that phone call announcing a trade had been done.

Brutalis
06-21-2006, 11:57 PM
SJax was that in your face type of guy not taking bullshit. A voice or mentality the Spurs need sometimes.

strangeweather
06-22-2006, 12:06 AM
I think the Spurs are one of the few teams that look at Jack and see clutch playoff guy and not overpaid, deranged, locker room cancer guy. I totally think we could get him if we were willing to take on his contract. Barry for Jack should work under the cap.

We would get younger and more athletic, like everyone wants.

Hmmm. Tempting.

SPARKY
06-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Jack's in his prime. He gives you a guy who can play big regular season minutes and help keep down the wear and tear on guys like Manu and Bowen. After the season Manu had, this is no small thing. I think the Spurs need a little more scoring punch in that perimeter rotation. Jack's price is a little low right now. This would be the perfect time for the Spurs to step in and nab him.

RON ARTEST
06-22-2006, 12:31 AM
Jack's in his prime. He gives you a guy who can play big regular season minutes and help keep down the wear and tear on guys like Manu and Bowen. After the season Manu had, this is no small thing. I think the Spurs need a little more scoring punch in that perimeter rotation. Jack's price is a little low right now. This would be the perfect time for the Spurs to step in and nab him.
hes also a chucker and has a bad attitude at times. i thought you guys hated players who shot all the time. guess not

SPARKY
06-22-2006, 12:35 AM
Nah, we like guys who score big in road closeout games and knock down 3s to win a championship. His attitude was not a major problem in SA. Jack just needs the right situation, that's all.

Winnipeg_Spur
06-22-2006, 12:36 AM
I don't know about Jax. I loved what he gave us in 2003 (how could you not?) but he's become such a volume shooter and with basically three all-stars on offence I'm not sure we need that anymore.

Obstructed_View
06-22-2006, 12:37 AM
Jack for starting center in the new era of smallball? Wait, Pop doesn't like centers who shoot threes...

Leetonidas
06-22-2006, 12:40 AM
If he's willing to come back to a winning team and resume doing what he did in 2003, then I'm all for bringing him back.

boutons_
06-22-2006, 12:41 AM
He hit some big 3Gs in 2003 playoffs, sure.

But the comment that was also applied to him back then was that "he keeps both teams in the game".

Look at his stats. He doesn't AST, he doesn't rebound, his AST/TO stinks, his BB IQ is below average, and as a non-hustling pure scorer-only, he's an inefficient shooter, low FG and 3G %ages.

Bonner shoots 3Gs 42% vs SJax's 36%.

I think the Spurs have better ways to spend their $$$.

SPARKY
06-22-2006, 12:42 AM
Jack can score and shoot the rock. Today. Not tomorrow. Now. Why wait? Jack on the wing puts less pressure on Manu to score and allows him to focus on doing the things that make Manu Manu. The Spurs need a little more pop to their offense. He fits the system. The team needs him. He needs the team.

atxrocker
06-22-2006, 12:43 AM
jackson would be a great pickup for the spurs. if im in the san antonio front office i at least make a few calls to inquire.

SPARKY
06-22-2006, 12:47 AM
He hit some big 3Gs in 2003 playoffs, sure.

But the comment that was also applied to him back then was that "he keeps both teams in the game".

Look at his stats. He doesn't AST, he doesn't rebound,

4 boards and 2.8 assists a night. For a swing.

his AST/TO stinks, his BB IQ is below average, and as a non-hustling pure scorer-only, he's an inefficient shooter, low FG and 3G %ages.

Bonner shoots 3Gs 42% vs SJax's 36%.

I think the Spurs have better ways to spend their $$$.

36% is low on 3s?

Assist to TO? He's not a point.

Yeah, the Spurs can spend their $ on some over the hill swingman who was good once upon a time or better yet they can try to find someone who might be good 3 years from now. Or maybe they can sack it up and bring in someone to win now. They've managed to remove close to $40 million in salary over the next 3 seasons with the Rose and Nesterovic trades. Let's stop fucking around and get this team some firepower.

timvp
06-22-2006, 12:55 AM
I've always been on the Jack bandwagon. He's a little crazay but the Spurs need that every now and then.

The Pacers will part with him for the right price. Do the Spurs make a bid?

I wouldn't be mad.

:smokin

SPARKY
06-22-2006, 12:59 AM
Bird's ready to blow up the team. So draft picks, expiring contracts, and young players on rookie deals may hold some allure. The Spurs do have a little of each of those. Williams' deal has one year left on it. Barry's has two. Beno has 2 more years on his rookie deal. Then there's Scola's rights.

J.T.
06-22-2006, 01:00 AM
But would Jack be content coming off the bench?

SPARKY
06-22-2006, 01:01 AM
Maybe Manu's back to coming off the bench.

T Park
06-22-2006, 01:02 AM
Id start Jack and bring manu off the bench.

Doesn't hurt to have that punch off the bench, plus, Ginobili just plays almost too wrecklessly to start and play 30 minutes

SPARKY
06-22-2006, 01:05 AM
Bringing back Jack could extend Manu's career or at least make him more effective.

George Gervin's Afro
06-22-2006, 07:16 AM
We need his self proclaimed 'hood rat mentality' back on the team.

boutons_
06-22-2006, 07:41 AM
"36% is low on 3s?"

Since you HAD to ask:

In 05/06, 3G%, regular season:

Bruce 42.4%

Brent 39.6%

Michael 39.4%

Manu 38.2%

Nick 35.6% << already sucks, but then:

SJax 34.5%, 82nd in NBA!!

SJax is a pure scorer (he does nothing else) and is very inefficient at it.

Doc Jerome
06-22-2006, 07:51 AM
SJax should start over Manu. Bring Manu off the bench. His body has proven to be made for limited minutes during the last two seasons. He can't take the punishment and stay healthy. His true role is coming off the bench, with a player the caliber of SJax on the team.

leemajors
06-22-2006, 08:01 AM
SJax should start over Manu. Bring Manu off the bench. His body has proven to be made for limited minutes during the last two seasons. He can't take the punishment and stay healthy. His true role is coming off the bench, with a player the caliber of SJax on the team.

manu is the all star here, not sure what "caliber" sjax is.

Doc Jerome
06-22-2006, 08:07 AM
manu is the all star here, not sure what "caliber" sjax is.

Yes Manu is an All-Star; two years removed, that is. He is the preferred player in SA, clearly; however, Manu is not tough enough to keep logging the kind of minutes he's been logging for the past two seasons. SJax would take the pressure off and would preserve his career by keeping him healthy. I am sure by the time the playoffs come around, whoever has the hot hand will get the minutes pending matchups and situations.

leemajors
06-22-2006, 08:13 AM
i would say manu did fairly well in the 05 playoffs despite the minutes he logged. he seemed plenty tough enough vs detroit at the very end of the season. he will stay around 30 mpg, and i would damn sure rather have him in at the end of a game over sjax. i just don't think sjax wants a limited role, he seems to think he is entitled to start after what he did here in SA. maybe if he were a few years older he would be more amenable to that sort of role.

Doc Jerome
06-22-2006, 08:21 AM
All he did in SA is help the Spurs get over the Phil Jax/Shaq/Kobe/Laker "Gorilla" on the Spurs collective backs, hump. His defense and fearless, timely shooting was the difference, not heroics by Manu. Although, Manu did play some good defense on Kobe as well. Perhaps your memory has failed, but SJax did a great job in SA, and stayed healthy while doing it.

ducks
06-22-2006, 08:23 AM
mike finley proved to be great
I take him over jackson even though jackson is younger

Doc Jerome
06-22-2006, 08:27 AM
I'll take Mike Finley, SJax, and Manu.

kalikot_boy_kr
06-22-2006, 08:30 AM
i dont think he'll be back... indiana need him..

leemajors
06-22-2006, 08:56 AM
All he did in SA is help the Spurs get over the Phil Jax/Shaq/Kobe/Laker "Gorilla" on the Spurs collective backs, hump. His defense and fearless, timely shooting was the difference, not heroics by Manu. Although, Manu did play some good defense on Kobe as well. Perhaps your memory has failed, but SJax did a great job in SA, and stayed healthy while doing it.

my memory hasn't failed, but when it was time for him to go, ginobili was ready to start. i know exactly what you are saying, but i am pretty sure ginobili doesn't want to be a full time sub either. he says all the right things when he comes off the bench and is great at it, but he wants to start and deserves it. stupid mac with spell check won't let me say m.anu, it changes it to menu. glad i have a pc at home.

MI21
06-22-2006, 08:58 AM
I wish.

MadDog73
06-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Bah. Jackson is so 2003. We don't need another player chucking up threes when they should be feeding Tim.

We need a good defensive player, our offense is fine.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Moving Manu to the bench is crazy. You start him and then do a better job of managing his minutes if you can get Buckets back.

As to Sjax coming off the pine...

1. He needs some humble pie, judging by his actions in Indy. That would give it to him.
2. Let Bowen mentor him for another year or two, and you've got your BB replacement.

MadDog73
06-22-2006, 09:39 AM
2. Let Bowen mentor him for another year or two, and you've got your BB replacement.

Are you serious? You think Jackson is that good a defender?

strangeweather
06-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Moving Manu to the bench is crazy. You start him and then do a better job of managing his minutes if you can get Buckets back.
If we got Jack back, either way would be okay with me, but remember -- it's not who starts the games, it's who finishes them. If we're trying to keep his minutes down, playing most of the 4th might be a better scenario than having him burn minutes in the first.

boutons_
06-22-2006, 09:44 AM
SJax doesn't hustle enough to be a good defender, nor does have enough court vision, as seen in stupid moves and low AST.

He just doesn't initiate basketball.

Throw the passive black hole the ball, and he shoots it, end of his effort.

no defense, no hustle, no STL, no RBs, nothing but scoring while shooting a very poor %age.

So you have to put with SJaxs' shitty game ALL season on the hope that he lucks out and hits a big 3G or 2 in the playoffs, the "clutch" ness.

We already have Robert in that role, and it sounds like he's back for next year.

SJax will insist on starting.

RON ARTEST
06-22-2006, 09:46 AM
have you seen jackson play defense? it would take more then a year or two for him to become the next bowen.

picnroll
06-22-2006, 09:47 AM
If Spurs were to bring someone back I'd prefer Hedo (I know that'll draw a lot of heat). Hedo's a better defender, better rebounder, better ballhandler, better on assists, better shooter, better decision maker.

RON ARTEST
06-22-2006, 09:49 AM
If Spurs were to bring someone back I'd prefer Hedo (I know that'll draw a lot of heat). Hedo's a better defender, better rebounder, better ballhandler, better on assists, better shooter, better decision maker.
now thats a good idea. hedo issnt a chucker like jackson

MoSpur
06-22-2006, 09:52 AM
I was a huge fan of Jackson. Still am. I would like to see him back because of the mental toughness he brings. He can be a head case at times and I don't know if that is good.

Slomo
06-22-2006, 09:55 AM
I was a huge fan of Jackson. Still am. I would like to see him back because of the mental toughness he brings. He can be a head case at times and I don't know if that is good.So which one is it?

td4mvp21
06-22-2006, 10:03 AM
We need SJax back. Clutch, jumpshooting, defense,etc. His attitude sucks sometimes, but we need someone who will get pissed and get fired up. But will he look to score15+ppg? We already have three scorers how will that work?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-22-2006, 10:07 AM
have you seen jackson play defense? it would take more then a year or two for him to become the next bowen.

This isn't about how long it would take to mentor the guy, it's about how many more years of high - caliber defense Bowen can play.

Mark in Austin
06-22-2006, 10:10 AM
I remember that Jacks lateral quickness wasn't really anything to write home about; and he was horrible when he had to put the ball on the floor. It seemed like the ball was dribbled off his foot, knee, hip, etc. at a pretty alarming rate for a perimeter player.

Is he clutch? Hell yes. Do I love his fire and fearlessness? Yep. But let's not romanticize things. Jack was at his best as a spot-up shooter. If you're prepared to pay his salary for a spot up shooter w/ mediocre defense and poor ball handling skills, than he's your man.

I think the Spurs have more pressing needs, though.

That being said, I wouldn't be upset if it happened.

picnroll
06-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Hello defense

Hedo >>>>>>>>>>>> Jack
The Jack myth is amazing. Charisma over accomplishment.
Anybody want to lay odds Pop won't be putting Jack in a Spurs' uniform again?

SPARKY
06-22-2006, 10:16 AM
The Hedo Myth is the greater tale...the scared bitch offensive player who doesn't suck as much on the defensive end.

Notorious H.O.P.
06-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Back when Jack was with the Spurs, he was hungry for a good opportunity and some structure. The Spurs gave him that and helped make him successful. At the time, he said Pop was probably the only person who could keep him in line.

But fast forward. He goes to Atlanta and becomes one of their primary options. Armed with plenty of shots and a rising scoring average, I think his head starts to inflate a bit. He scores the good contract with Indiana and I think this is where is really starts to work its way loose.

Money has a way of changing things and Jack isn't that same hungry, just give me a chance guy we has in SA. I think Jack has a big head now and it will make it harder to keep him reigned in. I'm not against him coming back but its not going to be the same as 2003.

ducks
06-22-2006, 10:23 AM
what do you think hedo would do on dirk?

picnroll
06-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Hedo was bad in the playoffs. Horry sucked in those playoffs too. So many people have said you need to give players a second year in the Spurs system. Hedo was solid when Sac played the Lakers.

Jack was a rollercoaster ride. +/- one time on the floor he'd be +8 and the next time he'd be -8. This year for the Pacers in the playoffs he totally sucked. His teammates were ready to kill him with him for his dumbass decision making, particularly down the stretch.

rayray2k8
Ill take a good backup PG before Jax.
I think thats what they REALLY need.

MadDog73

:rolleyes

MoSpur
06-22-2006, 10:28 AM
So which one is it?

He is both and that is the problem. You don't know which one you are getting. At least that is the way I look at it. I'd take him over Barry that is for sure.

RON ARTEST
06-22-2006, 10:37 AM
:rolleyes
do you think he is?

RON ARTEST
06-22-2006, 10:39 AM
This isn't about how long it would take to mentor the guy, it's about how many more years of high - caliber defense Bowen can play.
yeah and im telling you jackson isnt the guy to replace him.

MadDog73
06-22-2006, 10:40 AM
do you think he is?

I don't really care who's worse, Hedo or Jack. That's what the :rolleyes was about.

Neither are coming back to the Spurs.

But you're right, the fact that Hedo is actually better than Jack on paper should tell Spurs fans something about Jackson...

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-22-2006, 10:45 AM

Too bad he isn't better about making the one step to his right necessary to catch passes in the corner.

yeah and im telling you jackson isnt the guy to replace him.

Actually Artest, you said that he wouldn't be able to be that good defensively in a year. Quit changing your tune.

People act like Bowen is going to be around forever, he's not. Same for Horry. We need to get younger and get some guys in here that can fill those roles in the next year or two.

If Jackson isn't it, so be it. Still doesn't change the fact we have a very glaring hole that we need to fill.

I don't even like that we're worried about the matchup on Dirk. Dirk isn't who killed us in our series, it was Josh Howard. That's who we need to find a counter to.

MadDog73
06-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Dirk isn't who killed us in our series, it was Josh Howard. That's who we need to find a counter to.

Agreed. That was the worst decision ever, to pass on Josh Howard...

strangeweather
06-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Hedo was bad in the playoffs. Horry sucked in those playoffs too. So many people have said you need to give players a second year in the Spurs system. Hedo was solid when Sac played the Lakers.

Jack was a rollercoaster ride. +/- one time on the floor he'd be +8 and the next time he'd be -8. This year for the Pacers in the playoffs he totally sucked. His teammates were ready to kill him with him for his dumbass decision making, particularly down the stretch.
There are lots of things wrong with Jack, but Spurs fans never forget that he came up big when it counted.

Hedo is a better player on paper, but he did nothing when it counted. Maybe he could if he got another chance, but that's true of almost anyone -- he was a disappointment, plain and simple. Yeah, Horry sucked that year as well, but it's an understatement to say that he's had no shortage of other playoff moments to remember.

Has Hedo ever done anything for us that would make you want to welcome him back?

strangeweather
06-22-2006, 11:03 AM
People act like Bowen is going to be around forever, he's not. Same for Horry. We need to get younger and get some guys in here that can fill those roles in the next year or two.

If Jackson isn't it, so be it. Still doesn't change the fact we have a very glaring hole that we need to fill.

Agreed.

I don't even like that we're worried about the matchup on Dirk. Dirk isn't who killed us in our series, it was Josh Howard. That's who we need to find a counter to.
We need both.

It's not that we need to find a guy who can shut down Dirk -- short of having the reincarnation of David Robinson land on our doorstep, that guy ain't out there. We need to find a guy who can stay on Dirk in an effective single-team and keep him under control. I know you think Nazr could have been that guy, but either way, Nazr is gone and we need to have that guy. Maybe it's Bonner, maybe it's not.

And yeah, we need to be able to stop Howard with single coverage. If Bruce doesn't have to worry about Dirk, Bruce can do it pretty easily, but as you pointed out, we don't have too many more years of Bruce.

Leetonidas
06-22-2006, 11:07 AM
I just realized that Jackson is not a SF, even though he's 6'8". He's a SG...so unless he's backing up Bruce, we don't need him to start in place of Manu because Manu and Finley are better at the position.

Old School Chic
06-22-2006, 11:10 AM
I just realized that Jackson is not a SF, even though he's 6'8". He's a SG...so unless he's backing up Bruce, we don't need him to start in place of Manu because Manu and Finley are better at the position.

That's right...

texasqb2
06-22-2006, 12:08 PM

That simple.

You're crazy, spurs want no part of him, that's why he is not here, that's why we lowballed him. He is a cancer and a turnover machine when it counts, so he hit a couple of threes. He was awful the year the lakers made quick work of us, single handedly losing games for us.

SPARKY
06-22-2006, 12:11 PM
You're crazy, spurs want no part of him, that's why he is not here, that's why we lowballed him. He is a cancer and a turnover machine when it counts, so he hit a couple of threes.

The Spurs made him the standard young role player contract offer of 3 years, $10 mil or thereabouts. Jack thought he was worth more and went shopping for a deal while the Spurs went shopping for other free agents. The Spurs wanted him back, but the way it played out Jack ended up going to Atlanta. A year later, Jack's payday arrived.

He was awful the year the lakers made quick work of us, single handedly losing games for us.

What year? 2001?

ducks
06-22-2006, 12:13 PM
sj will not be effective off the bench

gospursgojas
06-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Get him the fuck over here... hes what has been missing on the Spurs squad.

For those of you who say he has a bad attitude, we need someone with that fire...

And for those of you who say hes a volume shooter....What Barry isn't??? SJax is Barry with, balls to take it in, and nuts in the 4th

SPARKY
06-22-2006, 12:15 PM
Also, it's not like the Spurs' perimeter rotation is exactly the Fountain of Youth.

Mr. Body
06-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Such an awful idea. Plus, an awful idea with 0% chance of happening.

When will this thread die already?

MadDog73
06-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Get him the fuck over here... hes what has been missing on the Spurs squad.

For those of you who say he has a bad attitude, we need someone with that fire...

And for those of you who say hes a volume shooter....What Barry isn't??? SJax is Barry with, balls to take it in, and nuts in the 4th

Am I the only one who think the Spurs problems are not on offense, but defense?!?

We have plenty of clutch 3-pointers! Who drilled the 3 late in Game 7 to give us a 3 point lead! Manu did!

We don't need another player to jack up threes in the 4th, we need a player who can get back on defense, ie, another Bruce (who also happened to shoot 50% from the 3 in this year's playoffs, just not in Game 7, unfortunately).

Bruno
06-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Jackson can be a good solution but with a lot of "ifs".
- If he is ready to play less next year. There are only 96min available at SG/SF for Manu/Bruce/Finley/Jackson.
- If he is still coachable. I don't know how he is after geting his big contract.
- If he is reeady to be the 4th offensive option and to play solid D.
- If Pacers don't want too much for him. With his big contract and his past, Barry should be enough to get him.

then Jackson can be a good solution. However, I don't think that all these "ifs" will be respected, so no to Jackson.

gospursgojas
06-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Am I the only one who think the Spurs problems are not on offense, but defense?!?

We have plenty of clutch 3-pointers! Who drilled the 3 late in Game 7 to give us a 3 point lead! Manu did!

We don't need another player to jack up threes in the 4th, we need a player who can get back on defense, ie, another Bruce (who also happened to shoot 50% from the 3 in this year's playoffs, just not in Game 7, unfortunately).

The Spurs ONLY prob on D was guarding ONE guy...

MadDog73
06-22-2006, 12:29 PM
The Spurs ONLY prob on D was guarding ONE guy...

Oh come on! Terry, Howard and Dirk all drove to the basket almost at will.

We were out-rebounded in the Playoffs as well.

Spurs had serious problems on D, and it wasn't just against Dirk!

MoSpur
06-22-2006, 01:03 PM
SJax would cost the Spurs around $27.5 mil until 2010. Too much in my opinion. I'd throw that money somewhere else.

mardigan
06-22-2006, 01:10 PM
The Spurs dont need another Michael Finley, and even though Jacks younger, he is still not as good as Mike. We need a tough athletic big. CHRIS WILCOX IS WHAT WE NEED

I love what Jack did for us in the playoffs, but he wasnt even that great on the Pacers, even in a weaker conference. Suspect d and too many turnovers.

Mr. Body
06-22-2006, 01:16 PM
The Spurs dont need another Michael Finley, and even though Jacks younger, he is still not as good as Mike. We need a tough athletic big. CHRIS WILCOX IS WHAT WE NEED.

I see no evidence Wilcox would give us anything Luis Scola wouldn't. I suppose he'd be worth looking at.

mardigan
06-22-2006, 01:24 PM
What he would give us is a 6-10 to 6-11 foward/center who doesnt need his own shot, finishes at the rim and plays tremendous d.Basically a really good Nazr. Im not saying hes better than Scola, he might not be. But I do think he would be cheaper, less of a pain in the ass to bring over, and is about the same age

Mr. Body
06-22-2006, 01:27 PM
What he would give us is a 6-10 to 6-11 foward/center who doesnt need his own shot, finishes at the rim and plays tremendous d.Basically a really good Nazr. Im not saying hes better than Scola, he might not be. But I do think he would be cheaper, less of a pain in the ass to bring over, and is about the same age

I was looking at his stats and see he produces about 8 and 5 in a shade under 20 minutes a game. I'm not sure why he gets so few minutes. In fact, I know very little about him. His salary level isn't that high at this point -- who knows?

mardigan
06-22-2006, 01:29 PM
14 points 8 and a half rebounds after he got traded to the Sonics, good feild goal percentage and blocks shots. Hes only 23. CHRIS WILCOX. Also do you think either Matt Bonner or old ass Eric Williams will contribute at all? I see Bonner maybe, but Im not sure

Mr. Body
06-22-2006, 01:37 PM
I'll look into him more. Why isn't Seattle wanting to keep him? Or are they? I see Washington is another suitor - whill he get too expensive?

And no, I'm not expecting much out of Bonner or E-Williams. Practically nothing out of Williams.

mardigan
06-22-2006, 02:02 PM
He is a restricted free agent and Seattle wants to keep him, but they already have 2 or 3 other fowards on their team not to mention 2 20 year old centers ( Petro and Swift) that they have used their last two first round picks on. They need more playing time as does Collison, so I think that they are going to have to let him go

Bob Lanier
06-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Wilcox doesn't play anything near "tremendous d".

strangeweather
06-22-2006, 02:17 PM
Wilcox doesn't play anything near "tremendous d".
Can he even spell D?

mardigan
06-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Compared to what we had he does, and Duncan makes bigs that play with him better defenders, so he will. He played on a Seattle team where the second best big was Fortson or Collison,and when he was on the Clips he never got off the bench. For the time that hes on the court he shows flashes of being a great player often, especially the second half of last year. And he is only 23

Mr. Body
06-22-2006, 02:25 PM
Mard- his age certainly is a big attraction, apart from his size and production. I'd like to pull Scola first of all, but failing that, the Spurs could do worse than try for this guy.

mardigan
06-22-2006, 03:22 PM
How much is bringing Scola over going to cost though?

SPARKY
06-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Chris Wilcox is a worse idea than bringing back Jack. Much.

mardigan
06-22-2006, 03:26 PM
Chris Wilcox is a worse idea than bringing back Jack. Much.

Hows that? We need a athletic young big and thats exactly what he is

SPARKY
06-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Hows that? We need a athletic young big and thats exactly what he is

An athletic young big who blew up in all of 20 or so games before heading into free agency. Stay away.

mardigan
06-22-2006, 03:35 PM
An athletic young big who blew up in all of 20 or so games before heading into free agency. Stay away.

He was buried on the Clips bench his first few years, then got traded and started the final 23 games of the season. I know what your saying about it being a chance, but when a guy finally gets a chance to start against the western conference power forwards and centers and avarages 14 and 8,even if it was a third of the season, I will take that chance. Your telling me he wouldnt be better than Nazr? Hes only twenty freaking three!

SPARKY
06-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Someone is going to throw big money his way. He's a free agent bust just waiting to happen.

mardigan
06-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Someone is going to throw big money his way. He's a free agent bust just waiting to happen.

I can see that happening too, but shit it wouldnt be any worse than the money we threw at Rasho

Mark in Austin
06-22-2006, 04:56 PM

If Wilcox had a nagging injury that is still unresolved, I'd say Isiah would be all over him with an offer.

exstatic
06-22-2006, 06:39 PM
He also has balls the size of...well, the REST of that Kings team, and fucking went into a coma at the sight of the Lakers in '04.

Just say no to scurred players.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-22-2006, 08:44 PM
Are you serious? You think Jackson is that good a defender?

Him and Bowen had a long streak of reg season games in 2003 where they utterly shut down opposing wing players, it was awesome, if you enjoy gettin stoned and watching hard nosed defense :smokin

Cant_Be_Faded
06-22-2006, 08:46 PM
Who can ever forget a season where we had a long, sharpshooting guard, who could play really good D when motivated, and who constantly looked for and was looked for by Tim Duncan.

They would always look for each other. True, Jackson would turn it over when he got too excited, but he never hesitated to take that incredibly high arching three.

Jack owns. Shoulda paid that nikka in the first place.

SPARKY
06-24-2006, 10:18 AM
The more I think about it, the more I think it's imperative the Spurs make a move for Jack. Your perimeter rotation is aging. Jack gives you a guy who can play 35 night if need be and who can score, be it from beyond the arc or from penetration. With the way the league is moving towards favoring offensive players on the perimeter, it definitely couldn't hurt to have a player with Jack's skills. The remainder of his current contract (4 yrs, $27 mil) takes him through his prime and for a perimeter player who can put up close to 20 points, 5 boards, and 3 assists a night with the PT, that's rather affordable.

This is an excellent opportunity for the Spurs to rejuvenate their perimeter rotation on the cheap.

T Park
06-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Agreed.

See if Indiana bites on Beno,Scola, Barry and either Oberto or whatever else.

Indiana supposedly wants to get rid of Tinsley.

Beno could replace Tins and Jasikevicius, couldstep right in

ducks
06-24-2006, 03:22 PM
beno for 17 pick of pacers

bird has a guy he wants though see nba forum

SenorSpur
06-24-2006, 05:22 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think it's imperative the Spurs make a move for Jack. Your perimeter rotation is aging. Jack gives you a guy who can play 35 night if need be and who can score, be it from beyond the arc or from penetration. With the way the league is moving towards favoring offensive players on the perimeter, it definitely couldn't hurt to have a player with Jack's skills. The remainder of his current contract (4 yrs, $27 mil) takes him through his prime and for a perimeter player who can put up close to 20 points, 5 boards, and 3 assists a night with the PT, that's rather affordable.

This is an excellent opportunity for the Spurs to rejuvenate their perimeter rotation on the cheap.

Also agree. Seems many folks forgot how fearless and mentally tough Jack was when he was here. Sure he had some flaws, but he was a contributing starter on ht 2003 championship team. Anybody remember Game 6 versus the Mavs and Game 6 versus New Jersey? SJax was involved in both those phenomenal comebacks.

If those contractual numbers are correct, that doesn't look so bad. Especially considering how the Spurs just gained some measurable cap relief by jettisoning Rasho in exchange for 2 contracts (Bonner and Williams) that will expire at season's end.

Spurs definiitely need another "hired gun" at the swing spot that can also penetrate and is not a defensive liability (like Barry). Jack fills that void.

boutons_
06-24-2006, 05:36 PM
"can also penetrate"

SJax is purely a jumpshooter, with career piss-poor %ages.

He doesn't have the ballhandling skills or desire to be a penetrator.

SenorSpur
06-24-2006, 05:42 PM
His handle needs work, I'll give you that. I'll also give you the fact that he is in love with his jump shot a bit much. However, I wouldn't go as far to say he doesn't have the ability to get to the rack. I've seen him do it too many times. He can take his man off the dribble if he's crowded. He'll run off a few screens to get open, when necessary.

Hoy
06-25-2006, 03:30 AM
Who can ever forget a season where we had a long, sharpshooting guard, who could play really good D when motivated, and who constantly looked for and was looked for by Tim Duncan.

They would always look for each other. True, Jackson would turn it over when he got too excited, but he never hesitated to take that incredibly high arching three.

Jack owns. Shoulda paid that nikka in the first place.

So, tell me... Why do Indiana fans select him as one they most want to vote off their team?

Jackson was the bonehead who helped to destroy Pacers' promising season when he raced up to the stand and start swinging at the first guy he sees. Artest is blamed as the primary culprit to the brawl but Jackson poured gasoline to that Artest spark. After that his teammates started going to the stand, and then stand comming to the floor, swinging feast follows.
Kaput!
Pacers season over.

There must be some confederacy of losers and bone-heads and they keep recommending Jacksons and Sprees of the world to Spurs. There is a cost to that membership: Spurs season on the brink.

No thanks.

mattyc
06-25-2006, 09:13 AM
Make it happen.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/specials/spurschamps/slideshows/spurslakersgame6/images/14.jpg

Cant_Be_Faded
06-25-2006, 10:51 AM
So, tell me... Why do Indiana fans select him as one they most want to vote off their team?

Jackson was the bonehead who helped to destroy Pacers' promising season when he raced up to the stand and start swinging at the first guy he sees. Artest is blamed as the primary culprit to the brawl but Jackson poured gasoline to that Artest spark. After that his teammates started going to the stand, and then stand comming to the floor, swinging feast follows.
Kaput!
Pacers season over.

There must be some confederacy of losers and bone-heads and they keep recommending Jacksons and Sprees of the world to Spurs. There is a cost to that membership: Spurs season on the brink.

No thanks.

Dude that is your coaches fault for not putting a tighter leash on him. Under spurs management, he went from a guy chilling in his seat, yelling "Gimmie some popcorn, Nigga!" to the sbc salespeople, to a very professional player who started little or no BS. Then under yall he reverted to his old ways. Yeah his fault, but ya'll should have kept a shorter leash on him.

Obstructed_View
06-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Dude that is your coaches fault for not putting a tighter leash on him. Under spurs management, he went from a guy chilling in his seat, yelling "Gimmie some popcorn, Nigga!" to the sbc salespeople, to a very professional player who started little or no BS. Then under yall he reverted to his old ways. Yeah his fault, but ya'll should have kept a shorter leash on him.
Putting him on the same team with Artest was gas and fire anyway. Jack still has the potential to lose it. This team isn't as cool as the one in 2003.

SPARKY
06-25-2006, 11:02 AM

Kaput!
Pacers season over.

No thanks.

Speaking of "bone-heads", how about fouling on a layup when you are up 3 with 20 ticks left in a Game 7?

If I am not mistaken, a Jackson helped this team win a championship in a major way and his first name isn't Jaren.

Piss off, Whitebread.

Obstructed_View
06-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Speaking of "bone-heads", how about fouling on a layup when you are up 3 with 20 ticks left in a Game 7?

If I am not mistaken, a Jackson helped this team win a championship in a major way and his first name isn't Jaren.

Piss off, Whitebread.
Actually Jaren was as big a part of the '99 championship as Jack was in '03. Neither holds a candle to the contribution "bonehead" made in '05.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Very true. Hopefully manu is right about odd numbered years.

But then again, he was just taking advantage of the new rules and got to the line constantly. If he gets a fair whistle consistently in the dallas series, maybe it doesn't come down to an incredibly stupid last second play. But Jax plays good on odd numbered years too, at least one of 'em.

SPARKY
06-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Actually Jaren was as big a part of the '99 championship as Jack was in '03. Neither holds a candle to the contribution "bonehead" made in '05.

Negated by '06. If Jack had made that play we'd be hearing about how he fucked up nonstop. Instead we hear about how aggressive Manu is or whatever.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-25-2006, 11:26 AM
exactly no aggressiveness can make up for that moronic play

if he weren't such a die hard spur, i'd have thought he was on the take

Obstructed_View
06-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Negated by '06. If Jack had made that play we'd be hearing about how he fucked up nonstop. Instead we hear about how aggressive Manu is or whatever.
Somebody needs to ask the coach why he was guarding Dirk at the fucking rim at the end of game 7. Jesus, some of you guys are ignorant.

SPARKY
06-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Somebody needs to ask the coach why he was guarding Dirk at the fucking rim at the end of game 7. Jesus, some of you guys are ignorant.

Ignorance is blaming the coach for that foul. The defensive scheme doesn't matter. You let the player go. Now come with a real point or shut the fuck up.

SequSpur
06-25-2006, 12:35 PM
WTF is a Prodigal?

Bob Lanier
06-25-2006, 12:58 PM
In French, prodigue.

bigdog
06-25-2006, 01:00 PM
even before the '03 playoffs, jack was one of my favorite spurs. i liked him when he went to atlanta, and indiada despite the brawl and his attitude with that team. it would be great to get him back. instead of the barry-smith trade, we should try and go for jack. not only is he an athletic addition to the team, but he already knows the system,and the fans like him. bring back ACTION JACKSON

Cant_Be_Faded
06-25-2006, 01:10 PM

how was he guarding dirk? Dirk got hte ball on the left corner behind the three, drove to the basket and manu came from the right bowen area at the far edge of the court

He seriously used every ounce of his speed and athleticism to get that foul

Obstructed_View
06-26-2006, 05:30 AM
Ignorance is blaming the coach for that foul. The defensive scheme doesn't matter. You let the player go. Now come with a real point or shut the fuck up.
Here's a point: Manu hit the three that put them up in the first place.

Obstructed_View
06-26-2006, 05:30 AM
how was he guarding dirk? Dirk got hte ball on the left corner behind the three, drove to the basket and manu came from the right bowen area at the far edge of the court

He seriously used every ounce of his speed and athleticism to get that foul
Okay. They should cut him.

SPARKY
06-26-2006, 07:13 AM
Here's a point: Manu hit the three that put them up in the first place.

...and promptly gave it away.

Nikos
06-26-2006, 07:19 AM

I find it hard to beleive you negate Manu's contributions in 2005 because of that one foul on Dirk. If Jack made the play and averaged 21ppg in that series on efficient scoring %'s then he wouldn't get the blame for losing the series.

But he never did have an consistent, efficient and productive offensive game as a Spur. He had a handful of excellent and ballsy playoff performances with a bunch of awful to poor ones mixed in (on the offensive end).

I am not sure if his offense would be much better if he came back, but it might be an upgrade over Ginobili/Finley/Bowen most likely, but not by much. Jack would be better than Finley on defense for sure, but not by an ridiculous margin.

Jackson has more explosiveness scoring wise in comparison with Finley, but he is also going to have nights where he takes several poor shots and drags the team down in that sense.

I am not sure if I would want Jax back. It certainly wouldn't be a bad thing, but I am not convinced he would change the complexion of the team a lot. He would be an excellent swingman to have for his good defense and ability to hot from the outside. But I certainly wouldn't play him more than 30mpg unless Manu really was struggling physically, or Pop really wanted to save him for the playoffs.

picnroll
06-26-2006, 08:49 AM
Spurs can get a guy who's just as big, more athletic, rebounds better, turns the ball over less, handles the ball better, even PG like, shoots a much higher percentage, above .500, for less than one third the cost and not have to trade to get him.

Qyntel Woods.

Quadzilla99
06-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Guy is a complete ghettoed out fuckin' punk. Not the kind of player the Spurs go for. The Spurs are a class organization. I can't remember the last time a Spur got in some kind of the trouble other teams players get in to. He's caused problems on every team he's been on and throwing haymakers in the stands?-Nice. Also he has some of the worst shot selection in the game today, makes "Starbury" look like John Stockton with some of the fadeaway, hand in the face, 18 showing on the shot clock, 20 foot foot heaves he throws up. No thanks.

venitian navigator
06-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Spurs can get a guy who's just as big, more athletic, rebounds better, turns the ball over less, handles the ball better, even PG like, shoots a much higher percentage, above .500, for less than one third the cost and not have to trade to get him.

Qyntel Woods.

Agree...but will he be available?
I also liked Woods the times I've seen him (...in defense too) and the knicks have so many players they could forget about him...!

SPARKY
06-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Guy is a complete ghettoed out fuckin' punk. Not the kind of player the Spurs go for. The Spurs are a class organization. I can't remember the last time a Spur got in some kind of the trouble other teams players get in to. He's caused problems on every team he's been on and throwing haymakers in the stands?-Nice. Also he has some of the worst shot selection in the game today, makes "Starbury" look like John Stockton with some of the fadeaway, hand in the face, 18 showing on the shot clock, 20 foot foot heaves he throws up. No thanks.

Funny. I guess Jack wasn't a "complete ghettoed out fuckin' punk" when he helped the Spurs win a championship.

Nikos
06-26-2006, 03:41 PM
No chance Jack puts up 20-5-3 as a Spur like Sparky suggests.

More like 14-4-2 in 35mpg. But even then he would be a below average efficiency scorer. The advantage would be that he could easily give you a half a dozen 30pt+ games. The downside is he is turnover prone and can easily have a handful of games where he plays big minutes and goes 1-10 and commits several turnovers. But in this system Pop would just yank him or play Bowen or Manu extra minutes. So it would balance out.

Jack would be a little better than he was in 2003. Which is a solid defensive SF who is erratic on offense, but capable of big games. All in all a decent upgrade over Finley/Barry, but not by a HUGE margin.

Mr. Body
06-26-2006, 03:43 PM
"Shoot you into games, shoot you out of games."

"Play you into games, play you out of games."

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Speedy/SJax

What it could've been...what it could still be. Come back, h0mies. =(

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 10:45 PM
No chance Jack puts up 20-5-3 as a Spur like Sparky suggests.

More like 14-4-2 in 35mpg. But even then he would be a below average efficiency scorer. The advantage would be that he could easily give you a half a dozen 30pt+ games. The downside is he is turnover prone and can easily have a handful of games where he plays big minutes and goes 1-10 and commits several turnovers. But in this system Pop would just yank him or play Bowen or Manu extra minutes. So it would balance out.

Jack would be a little better than he was in 2003. Which is a solid defensive SF who is erratic on offense, but capable of big games. All in all a decent upgrade over Finley/Barry, but not by a HUGE margin.

Jack plays big in big moments. Also, a team is going to be hard pressed to stop a Spurs lineup of TP/Manu/Jack/Horry or whoever/Duncan from scoring. Regular season scoring averages don't mean that much.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 10:48 PM
SJax brings a lot of what Finley does, but is a more body-up type defender.

His physical presence would bring something this team doesnt have, and desperately needs.

gameFACE
07-02-2006, 11:01 PM
I'd be totally cool with bringing Jax back. The Spurs could use an edgy player. If not Jax then Qymtel Woods.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 11:05 PM
I'd be totally cool with bringing Jax back. The Spurs could use an edgy player. If not Jax then Qymtel Woods.

I know there's character questions with Qyntel, but I never knew what they were.

Anybody know what the deal is with him?

Kori Ellis
07-02-2006, 11:06 PM
I know there's character questions with Qyntel, but I never knew what they were.

Anybody know what the deal is with him?

Woods made news headlines in 2004 when he was arrested for animal cruelty relating to his pet dogs. He pled guilty to first degree animal abuse, for staging dog fights in his house, some involving his pit bull named Hollywood. Hollywood, and Woods' other pit bull, Sugar, were confiscated, and Woods was given 80 hours of community service and also agreed to donate $10,000 to the Oregon Humane Society.

In response to this news, the Blazers suspended Woods and eventually waived him.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 11:07 PM
^ Blah.

That's not even that bad.

Kori Ellis
07-02-2006, 11:07 PM
He's also been suspended by the NBA for drugs before.

Big P
07-02-2006, 11:08 PM
No thanks...Spurs could use their money more wisely..if he were a true SF, maybe, but at $28 mil over the next 4 years for a backup SG..nah

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 11:08 PM
He's also been suspended by the NBA for drugs before.

Ok now that's bad...especially for the Pop type players.

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 11:09 PM
No thanks...Spurs could use their money more wisely..if he were a true SF, maybe, but at $28 mil over the next 4 years for a backup SG..nah

He wouldn't be backing anyone up in SA.

leemajors
i'm no PETA advocate, but staging dog fights in your house is illegal, stupid and horribly cruel.

ducks
do not let whott post those dog pictures

ducks
07-02-2006, 11:10 PM
He wouldn't be backing anyone up in SA.

manu is the better player then him

bowen has to start to be effective or are you going to trade him?

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 11:13 PM
manu is the better player then him

bowen has to start to be effective or are you going to trade him?

Manu also can't seem to play more than 35 minutes a night despite being paid like it. He also wasn't the most durable this season. And he's the youngster in the perimeter rotation.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 11:14 PM
I would start SJax over Bowen.

ducks
07-02-2006, 11:16 PM
I would trade bowen if you do not want to start him

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 11:18 PM
I would trade bowen if you do not want to start him

He's not getting paid much.

You can afford to keep him around and bring him off the bench in situations where you need him. Unless you get a really nice trade offer, keep him.

gameFACE
07-02-2006, 11:19 PM
do not let whott post those dog pictures
Someone actually has Woods dog pictures?

The Spurs won't take a gamble on someone they think won't fit. Jax obviously did and it worked out great. The Spurs don't just hire boy scouts. There are plenty of burners on the squad.

leemajors
07-02-2006, 11:19 PM
I would start SJax over Bowen.

and let the other team's best perimeter player get in a groove? a player like bowen needs to be getting under ray allen's skin at the tip.

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 11:21 PM
The best idea is to start Jack at the 2 and put Manu back into the spot that's best for him which is coming off the bench.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 11:23 PM
and let the other team's best perimeter player get in a groove? a player like bowen needs to be getting under ray allen's skin at the tip.

SJax isn't a bad defender.

You would always have Bowen as a weapon off the bench, but with SJax on the court you have so much more versatility on offense and toughness wise while not giving up too much on the defensive end.

Big P
07-02-2006, 11:25 PM
So you start Jax over Manu? If that were the case, we should have just kept Jax instead of Manu,...seriously, whats done is done...the Spurs are not going to pay Manu that much money to come off the bench...sure in certain situations at certain games at certain times of the year he might come off the bench, but Manu is our starting SG..period..Jax didn't work out...not sure what makes you think it would work this time around..it would be a very expensive experiment, one that I'm sure the FO isn't interested in.

ducks
07-02-2006, 11:29 PM
The best idea is to start Jack at the 2 and put Manu back into the spot that's best for him which is coming off the bench.

I started a thread this offseason having manu come off the bench
I actually think that is a good idea

that was before rasho was traded

jackson is turnover prone
I want a better player starting then that

mikeanthony21
07-02-2006, 11:29 PM

All Bowen has to do is just LOOK at Ray Allen ... during warmups.

leemajors
07-02-2006, 11:30 PM
sjax is nowhere near the defender bowen is, we would lose a lot of defense on the court. we don't really need any more offense in the starting lineup, we could use some punch off the bench. it wasn't our lack of offense that lost us the dallas series, it was the lack of a long 3 or competent mobile center. sjax is neither one of those.

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 11:31 PM
So you start Jax over Manu? If that were the case, we should have just kept Jax instead of Manu,...seriously, whats done is done...the Spurs are not going to pay Manu that much money to come off the bench...sure in certain situations at certain games at certain times of the year he might come off the bench, but Manu is our starting SG..period..Jax didn't work out...not sure what makes you think it would work this time around..it would be a very expensive experiment, one that I'm sure the FO isn't interested in.

So when does Manu play 35 minutes a night? You already have to limit his minutes. The rest of the swingman rotation is old as shit. Jack wasn't retained due to the way free agency played out. Make no mistake that the Spurs wanted him back in '03.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 11:31 PM
SJax wouldn't get bullied around by bigger players like Bonzi/Artest.

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 11:32 PM
I started a thread this offseason having manu come off the bench
I actually think that is a good idea

that was before rasho was traded

jackson is turnover prone
I want a better player starting then that

Jack's "turnover prone" and Manu is "passionate". Got it.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Jack's "turnover prone" and Manu is "passionate". Got it.

:lol

I'm not sure what's worse, dribbling it off your foot to the other team or passing it to the other team.

ducks
07-02-2006, 11:36 PM
manu makes up for his turnovers
jackson keeps both teams in the game

ducks
07-02-2006, 11:36 PM
pop would have to reign in his shot selection again

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 11:37 PM
pop would have to reign in his shot selection again

He did it once before.

You make it sound impossible.

Slinkyman
07-02-2006, 11:39 PM
what we need is another SG

ducks
07-02-2006, 11:39 PM
the thing I question is his attitude
would he be ok not starting and earning his starting job
he wanted in his contract with the spurs a guarantee starting job

I guess chip can help his shot but he was brought over for tp not all the spurs

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 11:40 PM
the thing I question is his attitude
would he be ok not starting and earning his starting job
he wanted in his contract with the spurs a guarantee starting job

I guess chip can help his shot but he was brought over for tp not all the spurs

There's nothing wrong with his shot.

Big P
07-02-2006, 11:44 PM
The bottom line is, we have more pressing needs than bringing Jax back...a true SF for one & we need a center also...like leemajors said...Jax is neither of those...doesn't matter how you slice it,the Spurs are not going to commit that much money(Manu & Jax= $14 mil a year) to the SG spot...I would rather take a chance on JR Smith & maybe Macijauskas for Barry, than commit that much to Jax...having Finley at the backup SG/SF spot is good enough for me.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Since when is SJax not a "true PF"?

Slinkyman
07-02-2006, 11:53 PM
Since when is SJax not a "true PF"?

I assume you mean SF right? he's been a SG since he came into the league.

Big P
07-02-2006, 11:54 PM
TD is a power forward, Oberto is a power forward, Bonner is a power forward...Jax is not a power forward..he is a shooting guard.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 11:57 PM
I assume you mean SF right? he's been a SG since he came into the league.

Ya, I meant SF.

He's not a shooting guard though, even though that's where we played him. He can do everything a SG does except...he can't dribble. That's pretty important. Watching him stumble with the ball is painful. =(

Big P
07-03-2006, 12:01 AM
Jax has been a guard ever since he came into the league..if he ever played the SF spot, he would be playing out of position

Jax's profile (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/stephen_jackson/index.html)

Please_dont_ban_me
07-03-2006, 12:02 AM
In my opinion, he is better suited for the SF position.

In fact, in my opinion...the only reason he didn't here is because Bowen's SF spot was sacred at the time.

Kori Ellis
07-03-2006, 12:03 AM
To me, Stephen Jackson is like a lot of a players in the league -- he's a "wing". I don't know why there's such a big deal of the semantics of shooting guard or small forward. In the Spurs system, he could play either spot.

That being said, there's not really a place for him here -- he won't get playing time unless the Spurs are dealing Manu, Bowen or Finley.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-03-2006, 12:04 AM
If we didnt' have Fins, he would fit in minutes wise...but with Finley it's tough.

ducks
07-03-2006, 12:05 AM
no kidding
but spurs have to get youth so mb thinks spurs need him :rolleyes

because he wears a headband :rolleyes

Please_dont_ban_me
07-03-2006, 12:07 AM
www.dictionary.com

T Park
07-03-2006, 12:49 AM
The long 3 they've been missing since,
uh.