PDA

View Full Version : Brown axed...Isiah in as coach

DarkReign
06-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Just heard it on the radio, its been substantiated.

Let me get a source...

RogerIsEatingASandwich
06-22-2006, 09:07 AM
it's on espn news.

RON ARTEST
06-22-2006, 09:14 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41030/20060622/breaking_news_larry_brown_fired_isiah_takes_over/ i think isaiah will do a better job just because the players respect him but larry is a better coach theres no question about it.

1Parker1
06-22-2006, 09:16 AM
:lmao :lmao He's trying to pull a Riley .

1Parker1
06-22-2006, 09:17 AM
I wonder if they can fire Flip and get Brown back in Detroit.

Extra Stout
06-22-2006, 09:18 AM
Other than the fact that he is an awful coach and has assembled the laughingstock of the NBA, this is exactly like Riley.

RON ARTEST
06-22-2006, 09:18 AM
maybe he was inspired by what riley did and thought to himself "hey i could do it too". what a horrible franchise.

RON ARTEST
06-22-2006, 09:22 AM
i dont think anyone will hire brown for a while because its becoming very obvious that all the guy wants is money. he comes in for one year and then leaves with alot of the owners money. thank god geoff petrie didnt go after him.because if he did i would have called him an :idiot

Taco
06-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Here is how Larry Brown's statement will go

"I just don't understand why I was fired? I wanted to stay and coach this team."

Always playing the victim card

RON ARTEST
06-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Here is how Larry Brown's statement will go

"I just don't understand why I was fired? I wanted to stay and coach this team."

Always playing the victim card
then he will go on to say that he doesnt plan on coaching anytime soon and end up in washington or golden state.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Cue ShoogarBear in 3, 2, 1...

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-22-2006, 09:36 AM
This is going to be like watching a car crash in slow motion. You won't be able to look away, even though you know you should.

Vizzini
06-22-2006, 09:49 AM
It looks like I was a little long in my pool for Larry Brown's firing. I had it happening over the Fourth of July weekend, just after the NBA Draft. Next time I guess I will have to take the under.

P.S. What kind of horrible people skills do you have to have to get fired from one of the worst and one of the best teams in under one year?

IcemanCometh
06-22-2006, 09:54 AM
Knicks hire an incompetent

IcemanCometh
06-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Larry Brown will join MJ in Charlotte

Dingle Barry
06-22-2006, 10:03 AM
Coaching that mess is actually a fitting punishment for Isiah

RON ARTEST
06-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Larry Brown will join MJ in Charlottemark berman said thats a possibilty on espn but i doubt that will happen.

Old School Chic
06-22-2006, 10:08 AM
This is going to be like watching a car crash in slow motion. You won't be able to look away, even though you know you should.

Well said Aggie

shelshor
06-22-2006, 10:32 AM
True. I think Thomas deserves to coach the team he assembled--no one else can

ducks
06-22-2006, 10:40 AM
According to this NYT story, the Knicks fired Thomas "for cause" and will NOT be paying him the balance of his contract.

Knicks Fire Brown, Refusing to Pay Out Contract
By HOWARD BECK
GREENBURGH, N.Y., June 22 — Larry Brown was fired by the Knicks this morning after just one, surprisingly tumultuous season as their head coach. And the team indicated that it did not plan to pay him the more than $40 million left on his contract.

Isiah Thomas, the team's president and general manager, was immediately named as Brown's replacement. James L. Dolan, the chairman of Madison Square Garden, made the decision just before 10 a.m., after a one-hour meeting with Brown, Thomas and Steve Mills, the Garden president.

The decision ends a strange and protracted drama that began in mid-April, when the Knicks concluded their first season under Brown with a 23-59 record, their worst in two decades. It ranked among the worst seasons in Brown's Hall-of-Fame career.

Yet Dolan's disenchantment went far beyond the poor results on the court, and he ultimately fired Brown for a number of other transgressions. The Knicks, contending that Brown violated several provisions of his contract, fired him "for cause," and thus do not intend to pay him the balance of his contract, in excess of $40 million.

Under terms of Brown's contract, a five-year deal, he can appeal the team's decision to withhold his pay. Commissioner David Stern will ultimately decide the issue.

The Knicks hired Brown, with considerable fanfare and optimism, last July. Although they kept expectations modest, team officials figured that Brown, who has won both an N.C.A.A. and N.B.A. championship, would reverse a half decade of failure. Instead, Brown exacerbated the franchise's misery, losing games by the dozen, alienating his players and engaging in a public war of words with Stephon Marbury, the team's star point guard.

Dolan wanted specific assurances from Brown that he would change his behavior, both publicly and privately. When Brown wavered, Dolan decided to fire him.

Neither Brown nor any team officials were available for comment. Dolan and Thomas issued a statement expressing their frustration.

"Larry has had a long and storied career," Dolan said in the statement. "We hired him last summer with the expectation that he would be with the Knicks for a long time. Sometimes, decisions work and sometimes they don't. After careful consideration, despite the best intentions from everyone involved, this current structure did not work for us last season and I did not think it was going to improve next season. I have great personal admiration for Larry, but have concluded that it is best for our franchise if we make this change."

Thomas, who assembled the Knicks' unwieldy roster over the last two and a half years, becomes the Knicks' fifth coach since January 2004. He previously coached the Indiana Pacers from 2000-03, compiling a 131-115 record.

ducks
06-22-2006, 10:43 AM
stern is going to side with knicks because he wants the knicks to save money and win more then 23 games a season

ducks
06-22-2006, 10:46 AM
good without pay he will not want to be an assistant with spurs

OUCH LARRY BROWN JUST LOST 40 million for being a bad coach for the knicks and not doing what his BOSS tells him to do
sucks for him

RON ARTEST
06-22-2006, 10:48 AM
good without pay he will not want to be an assistant with spurs

OUCH LARRY BROWN JUST LOST 40 million for being a bad coach for the knicks and not doing what his BOSS tells him to do
sucks for him
even if he did get paid his 40 million i dont think his ego would allow him to take an assistant job.

sa_butta
06-22-2006, 10:50 AM
I wonder what took so long? And is Thomas really going to coach or will they try to find someone else. Maybe he thinks he can do what Riley did with no coaching experience.

Amare_32
06-22-2006, 11:05 AM
then he will go on to say that he doesnt plan on coaching anytime soon and end up in washington or golden state.

That will be comical to see Brown and Arenas or Brown and Baron. :lol
________
HYSTERECTOMY ADVICE (http://www.health-forums.org/hysterectomy/)
________
WEB SHOWS (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

RON ARTEST
06-22-2006, 11:58 AM
That will be comical to see Brown and Arenas or Brown and Baron. :lol
i think it would be the exact same situation he had with stephon marbury. BTW are you gonna change your name to Amare 1 since amare is changing his number?

strangeweather
06-22-2006, 12:00 PM
This is great news for Knicks fans. Now that Isiah is finally the coach, they'll be all set to fire his ass. Next summer, at the latest.

Of course, watch, and they'll bring in Babcock next. :lmao

Darrin
06-22-2006, 12:13 PM

:tu

Darrin
06-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Jermaine O'Neal will be Knick before the summer is over.

That is all.

Rip-Hamilton32
06-22-2006, 12:23 PM
lol..i don't want brown back in detroit..the only reason he would come back is another ring..

Darrin
06-22-2006, 12:26 PM
lol..i don't want brown back in detroit..the only reason he would come back is another ring..

As long as he brings the Pistons another ring, what the hell do you care?

J.T.
06-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Didn't Dumars already say Flipper is staying?

blaze89
06-22-2006, 01:48 PM
I think once Thomas sees the roster he put together he'll realize what an awful GM he was.

JMarkJohns
06-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Jermaine O'Neal will be Knick before the summer is over.

That is all.

I can see this. Francis, Frye and filler?

CosmicCowboy
06-22-2006, 03:52 PM
:lmao

and we just THOUGHT things couldn't get worse in New York...:lol

TDMVPDPOY
06-22-2006, 04:04 PM
how many teams will get sucked into givin brown a contract than firin him, dude is 40mill richer, thank you retards at MSG

ducks
06-22-2006, 04:05 PM
he got fired with cause he is not getting the 40 million unless larry wins

sa_butta
06-22-2006, 04:16 PM
NBA EXEC SEES LARRY JOINING JORDAN

BROWN BOBCAT?

June 22, 2006 -- There is no question Larry Brown won't be coaching the Knicks next season and Isiah Thomas will be. The questions are which day will it become official, and where will Brown ultimately wind up, if anywhere?

With the days ticking down on Brown's disastrous Knick tenure, one league executive who's a friend of Brown said he wouldn't be surprised if new Bobcats partial owner Michael Jordan has interest in the lame-duck Knicks coach.

Brown and Jordan both bleed North Carolina blue and are friends. Brown makes it a point to go every summer with his son L.J. to teach at Jordan's basketball camp in Santa Barbara, Calif.

Brown, meanwhile, has his two daughters from his first marriage living in Charlotte, as well as his 101-year-old mother, Anne. The team executive said he could foresee Jordan trying to hire UNC legend Dean Smith as a Bobcats consultant. Smith, who is Brown's mentor, could be a calming influence and ensure Brown and Jordan stayed on the same page to avoid the disaster that occurred between Brown and Isiah Thomas, who no longer are on speaking terms.

"If Larry is looking for a comfortable exit to his career, Charlotte would be it," the team executive said.

On Day 39 of "Larry Held Hostage," Brown ran another round of pre-draft workouts but avoided the media stakeout for the first time by turning his car in the opposite direction. Signals are Dolan will make the change before Wednesday's draft. Today's workouts are the last ones scheduled.

GM-coach Bernie Bickerstaff, who has done an excellent job in his two years with the Bobcats, has said he'd like to remain in the unorthodox dual role. Jordan has yet to comment since last week's announcement he had joined forces with owner Bob Johnson. A Charlotte spokesman said, "We have a coach and GM."

Johnson has a reputation of being thrifty, but if Brown accepts a buyout for most of his $40 million, he could take much less than market value to align with Jordan.

Brown's landing spot won't be Golden State, despite speculation because of his Hamptons friendship with owner Chris Cohan. A person familiar with the owner's thinking told The Post that Brown won't be considered for Mike Montgomery's job.

"Chris has confidence and tremendous respect for Chris Mullin and Montgomery," the person said. "He's not looking to make any changes . . . They're solid summer acquaintances. Chris would never have Larry work for him. It might ruin a very good relationship."

Another source said agent Joe Glass and Brown are both well-acquainted with Wizards owner Abe Pollin.

The Brown camp has given off signals Brown won't coach next season, but that might not be by his own choice. The family is a week away from moving out of a rental in Greenwich, Conn., and into a new home in the same town.

Another family friend predicted Brown will volunteer to coach at a Connecticut high school. "That's what he's always wanted to do," the friend said.

The Knicks had an interesting player at workouts yesterday, Jacksonville State's Walker Russell, son of a Knicks scout of the same name. The younger Russell used to babysit Isiah Thomas' kids when his father played with Thomas in Detroit.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/brown_bobcat__knicks_marc_berman.htm

JMarkJohns
06-22-2006, 10:55 PM
^ That would make a lot of sense for North Carolina. Jordan is also rumored to be in love with Brandon Roy at #3 or even #1 if a swap is made.

CubanMustGo
06-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Poll results (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=2239&incomming=1&question16923=69305&question16924=69308&question16925=69309&question16926=69312&question16927=69315&question16928=69319&question16929=69322&question16930=69326&question16931=69327) from ESPN.com:

1) What is your take on the Knicks firing Larry Brown?

63.6% Bad move
36.4% Good move

2) What is your take on the Knicks naming Isiah Thomas coach?

83.8% Bad move
16.2% Good move

3) Who would you rather have coach your favorite team?

54.0% Larry Brown
42.3% Neither
3.7% Isiah Thomas

4) Who would you rather have making personnel decisions?

58.3% Neither
36.0% Larry Brown
5.7% Isiah Thomas

5) How long will Thomas will coach the Knicks?

45.3% One season
26.8% Two-three seasons
26.1% Less than one season
1.8% Four or more seasons

6) Will Larry Brown coach in the NBA again?

82.6% Yes
17.4% No

7) How many games will the Knicks win next season?

52.3% 21-30
26.4% 31-40
16.6% 20 or fewer
4.7% 41 or more

8) Will the Knicks win a championship with Thomas as coach?

97.7% No
2.3% Yes

9) What should the Knicks do?

87.5% Fire everyone, trade everyone, start over
12.5% Stay the course

Total Votes: 38,623

ducks
06-23-2006, 09:24 AM
The bitterness between Brown and the Knicks will linger as the two sides fight over a settlement. Citing a clause in Brown's contract that says any dispute will be arbitrated by NBA commissioner David Stern, a person familiar with details of the firing said the Knicks believe they owe Brown nothing because he failed to adhere to club policy and attempted to negotiate trades without consulting Thomas.

no wondering he was fired he is NOT THE GM WHO THE HELL DOES HE THINK HE IS? HE IS THE COACH NOT THE GM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spknix234792861jun23,0,7633425.story?coll=ny-sports-print

CubanMustGo
06-23-2006, 09:26 AM
Considering Isiah's track record on trades, they should give LB a medal for trying to go around his sorry ass.

ducks
06-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Brown upset the Knicks during the season when he feuded with point guard Stephon Marbury, was highly critical of a variety of players and used a league-record 42 different starting lineups in an effort to find a combination he liked. Dolan was particularly upset that Brown approved trades for high-priced Jalen Rose and Steve Francis and then quickly soured on both.

ducks
06-23-2006, 09:56 AM
Brown upset the Knicks during the season when he feuded with point guard Stephon Marbury, was highly critical of a variety of players and used a league-record 42 different starting lineups in an effort to find a combination he liked. Dolan was particularly upset that Brown approved trades for high-priced Jalen Rose and Steve Francis and then quickly soured on both.