PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: Cuban'$ edge: How he bothers the Spurs

CubanMustGo
06-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Too true ...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA062206.1C.COL.BKNharvey.cuban.11d3f9b.html

Mark Cuban set an NBA Finals record nearly every time he opened his mouth. From his blog to his Stairmaster to a Miami locker room to the basketball floor itself.

Has anyone been as irritating from as many places?

But now he gets to do what he does best, which is close his mouth and open his wallet. Operating with the league's second-highest payroll this past season, Cuban will have to write a few more checks to keep his talent intact.

Knowing him, he will. Knowing him, he will do what the Spurs can't, what the Suns fear, what the Pistons struggle with.

Cuban can't buy class. But he can bid on everything else.

He has a Rodmanesque need for attention, which is why something about Game 6 was so glaring. ABC rarely showed Cuban, when cameras usually can't get enough of his angst during dead-ball moments.

Was this done in good taste? Or was this David Stern getting his ultimate revenge?

The Spurs wouldn't mind seeing less of him, but it's his financial worth that troubles them. Cuban plays the game with Monopoly money while Peter Holt plays with the real stuff, and it's a significant edge.

Cuban has taken on huge contracts. Agreed to give millions to other teams in trades. And spent more money than anyone but the incomparable Knicks. Cuban's payroll is about $32 million more than the Spurs', and that doesn't include the luxury tax.

The Spurs get by, and they've found players willing to take less. The list includes Michael Finley, Bruce Bowen, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

But they have to be perfect while trying to pay a 63-win team, and when they aren't perfect, they have to unload the excess. They did with Malik Rose a year ago, they tried with Brent Barry this past season, and they dumped another salary Wednesday.

That's ultimately why Rasho Nesterovic is gone, though there are few tears in San Antonio over this. Rasho was nice enough and tall enough, but his body language inspired as Ambien does.

Besides, he couldn't get on the floor much the last two seasons, which is why this deal makes sense. Holt's books are stressed enough without having to spend another $23 million over three years to an eight-minute sub.

But Rasho would have come in handy had the Spurs made it to the Finals against Shaquille O'Neal this month, and he would be a counter for Yao Ming four times next season. If Cuban owned the Spurs? He might have paid Rasho as if on retainer.

After all, Cuban pays Erick Dampier far more. That deal ends in 2011 with a final price of just more than $13 million.

Cuban has tried to curb his spending. Whereas he once paid Finley whatever it took, he let Steve Nash walk.

Maybe Cuban does the same if Jason Terry gets an astounding offer as an unrestricted free agent this summer. Tuesday's finale might also make Cuban think twice; then, Terry missed his last 11 shots while going scoreless in the final quarter of the season.

But Cuban will want to get back to this stage. Furthermore, Cuban's anger over these Finals will only make him want to spend more. After all, he paid $450,000 in playoff fines just for yelling on the court. This is a man accustomed to picking up the check.

Cuban will get a break when Keith Van Horn comes off the payroll, but there's a line of others ready to cash in. Terry will be up for about a $60 million deal, and there's a window for Josh Howard now that will create at least that much. The Mavericks will want to max out Dirk Nowitzki now, because that is how superstars are treated.

But Cuban is already paying Dampier, as well as another year at $8 million for Jerry Stackhouse. Cuban still owes Finley and Shawn Bradley, and then there's the same Marquis Daniels who could barely get on the floor in these playoffs. Only three Spurs earn more than Daniels, and only one Spur has a longer contract.

The Suns do the same math and wonder how they can keep their stars. The Pistons try to figure out if they can still afford Ben Wallace, who has merely been the soul of that team.

And the Spurs?

In the same division, trying to match their dimes against Cuban's dollars, they would prefer only his mouth stay open.

boutons_
06-22-2006, 09:57 AM
One of his better articles, (very rare) congrats.

1Parker1
06-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Rasho was nice enough and tall enough, but his body language inspired as Ambien does.

I'm sorry but, :lol

boutons_
06-22-2006, 10:25 AM
yep, even I, long-time anti-Buck-ster, thought Ambien that was not too bad, for Buck (but I can do better). :)

DDS4
06-22-2006, 11:19 AM
resigning Terry, Howard, and Dirk? Good luck Cuban.

SPARKY
06-22-2006, 11:24 AM
How did he write that article with his nose stuck in Holt's ass?

mabber
06-22-2006, 11:34 AM
resigning Terry, Howard, and Dirk? Good luck Cuban.

He'll do it, I guarantee it. If the Spurs had won the series vs. the Mavs there may have been a chance that Terry would not be re-signed but it's a guarantee now. Especially now that he plays mostly 2 guard where he belongs. Harris will be starting point guard going forward.

picnroll
06-22-2006, 11:35 AM
How did he write that article with his nose stuck in Holt's ass?
What will you say if/when the Pistons let Wallace walk rather than sign him to an expensive, long term contract?

Cuban and Dolan are the aberrations. Cuban pisses me off because he's always mouthing off about improving the league and then he goes out and tries to buy titles by outspending, particularly disadvantaging smaller markets. That was where his depth came from. How does that improve the league?

SPARKY
06-22-2006, 11:37 AM
What will you say if/when the Pistons let Wallace walk rather than sign him to an expensive, long term contract?

You say that like it's a good thing.

T Park
06-22-2006, 11:43 AM
How did he write that article with his nose stuck in Holt's ass

more bullshit anti Holt tripe from Sparky.

What a surprise....

picnroll
06-22-2006, 11:43 AM
You say that like it's a good thing.

Yes. I don't want the NBA to turn into MLB and the NY Yankees. You can't rely on dumbasses like Dolan and Allen. Somebody will buy the right combination. Cuban neraly has.

ChumpDumper
06-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Have the Wallace-for-Dampier rumors started yet?

CosmicCowboy
06-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Cubans cap situation isn't as bad as that article makes it look...That "32 million more than the Spurs" includes 15 million for Van Horn (ending) and Finleys salary for the next two years (17 & 18 million) Mavs knew they were gonna have to pay Terry and Howard and thats why they waived Finley. Stackhouses 8 million will come off after next year as well.

Mavs situation isn't great, but it's not as bad as he made it sound. He is right about one thing though...Cuban will pony up the bucks if he thinks he has to to win.

SPARKY
06-22-2006, 12:13 PM
more bullshit anti Holt tripe from Sparky.

What a surprise....

T Park standing watch on the internets for God, Jawrge Dubya Bush, Country, Holt Cat, and Apple Pie.

mabber
06-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Cubans cap situation isn't as bad as that article makes it look...That "32 million more than the Spurs" includes 15 million for Van Horn (ending) and Finleys salary for the next two years (17 & 18 million) Mavs knew they were gonna have to pay Terry and Howard and thats why they waived Finley. Stackhouses 8 million will come off after next year as well.

Mavs situation isn't great, but it's not as bad as he made it sound. He is right about one thing though...Cuban will pony up the bucks if he thinks he has to to win.

Yeah, Cuban will pay whatever it takes for the most part. He doesn't want to throw stupid money at people (like he did when he maxed out Finley) anymore but he'll pay whatever it takes to give his team the chance to compete for the title.

What a lot of people don't realize is that he was going to end up paying Nash whatever it took to keep him but he didn't make the best offer in the beginning and Nash got his feelings hurt. The Suns came in and made the huge offer (surprised Cuban) and then Cuban had an issue with Nash's agent and everything went to shit. Cuban & the Mavs will tell you now that it was about them thinking that Nash wouldn't last (physically) over the 5-6 years of the contract he wanted but that's mostly BS.

MadDog73
06-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Just curious, started a poll to see if Money can buy everything...

ShoogarBear
06-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Only three Spurs earn more than Daniels, and only one Spur has a longer contract.

Holy Yumpin Yiminy!

:wow :wow :wow

picnroll
06-22-2006, 12:36 PM
In 2007-2008 if Cuban reups Howard, Dirk and Nowitzki he'll likely have about $72 million on the books counting toward luxury tax plus an additonal payroll of $18.6 for Finley not counting against the luxuiry taxl. THe following year with these guys still commited long term along with Dampier on the books and they will be looking at adding substantial salaries of Harris and possibly Diop.

At one point last year Cuban made noise about how based upon the uncertainty of TV revenue he didn't have the luxury of continuig to dump money into the franchise to buy a title. Will see. I'm guessing Cuban ego is to big and the Mavs need the $ advantage to get the job done.

mabber
06-22-2006, 12:39 PM
In 2007-2008 if Cuban reups Howard, Dirk and Nowitzki he'll likely have about $72 million on the books counting toward luxury tax plus an additonal payroll of $18.6 for Finley not counting against the payroll. THe following year with these guys still commited long term along with Dampier on the books and they will be looking at adding substantial salaues of Harris and possibly Diop.

At one point last year Cuban made noise about how based upon the uncertainty of TV revenue he didn't have the luxury of continuig to dump money into the franchise to buy a title. Will see. I'm guessing Cuban ego is to big and the Mavs need the $ advantage to get the job done.

They have to reup Dirk twice? :drunk

ShoogarBear
06-22-2006, 12:40 PM
LMAO at how Jason Terry has boxed Cuban in.

Do you pay him based on his last 11 shots, or all the ones that came before?

He's a guy I can easily see taking a step back after scoring the big payday.

picnroll
06-22-2006, 12:47 PM
They have to reup Dirk twice? :drunk
Not sure what you mean. This summer they'll renegotiate his contract. Otherwise next year he has a player option and can go to the highest bidder. Maybe he'd be tired of Cubes oggling him in the shower. Or maybe not.

mabber
06-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Not sure what you mean. This summer they'll renegotiate his contract. Otherwise next year he has a player option and can go to the highest bidder. Maybe he'd be tired of Cubes oggling him in the shower. Or maybe not.

Nevermind, I was just playing with you. Go back and read your original post and you'll understand why I asked that question.

picnroll
06-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Oh yeah should be Terry.

mabber
06-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Oh yeah should be Terry.

Like I said, just playing with ya. I appreciate your postings as you really know your hoops. Posters like you are a definite minority around here.

SenorSpur
06-22-2006, 01:21 PM
My uneducated gues is Cuban will reup Dirk, Terry and Howard. He may look to shop Marquis in an effort to give them some cap relief.

picnroll
06-22-2006, 01:23 PM
Daniels did nothing for his tradeability this playoffs. When he got on the floor he generally stunk it up, every series.

mabber
06-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Daniels did nothing for his tradeability this playoffs. When he got on the floor he generally stunk it up, every series.

Agreed. He has a lot of potential but Avery doesn't like that much for some reason. Avery had Marquis playing scared to fail the entire season (except in game 7 of finals for some reason).

I'd like to keep him, but I'm guessing they may trade him. I'm sure there are other teams that see his upside.

Holmes_Fans
06-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Marquis really went downhill after he had his neck injury. When he was starting while Howard was out he averaged 18 ppg

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marquis_daniels/game_by_game_stats.html

It was like Avery didn't trust him. I would rather have him out there instead of KVH.

ShoogarBear
06-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Daniels was one of only two players to show up for the Mavs in the fourth quarter of Game 6, though.

strangeweather
06-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Marquis really went downhill after he had his neck injury. When he was starting while Howard was out he averaged 18 ppg

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marquis_daniels/game_by_game_stats.html

It was like Avery didn't trust him. I would rather have him out there instead of KVH.
You guys see more of him than I do, but my impression is that he misses assignments and does some freelancing, and Avery doesn't have much tolerance for that.

CubanMustGo
06-22-2006, 01:56 PM

If the Spurs could unload Rasho there's hope for anyone.

mabber
06-22-2006, 02:03 PM
You guys see more of him than I do, but my impression is that he misses assignments and does some freelancing, and Avery doesn't have much tolerance for that.

Yeah, you're right in regards to why Avery doesn't care for him that much. Mav fans just saw what he could do in Nellie's offense and expected it to carry over to Avery's style. Apparently it doesn't. I think he can play but he might be better off on another team with a new start. Hell, maybe if they trade him Howard's game will go up a notch just like Dirk's did when they let his best friend get away. I don't know if Howard & Daniels are best friends but I do know that they are very close.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Daniels was the best player on the court in the fourth quarter of game 6 for Dallas. If they kept going to him, they might be playing in a game 7 tonight.