PDA

View Full Version : Is It Really Worth It?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-22-2006, 10:05 AM
I've been reading a lot about Luis Scola. He was in the All-Euroleague First Team this year, but is this guy really worth the wait? When we drafted him and I read his profile about his Euroleague stats I was really excited that he was gonna come. But then came the buyout. The Spurs have been trying to help him as much they can, but it's gone more than 3 years. Then after awhile people were saying that if he ain't coming then trade him. Then people started saying he is an undersized power forward and doesn't rebound or play defense for that matter. And I am ready to say if we don't get him this year that we will never get him. But if he does come, will he put up the stats we expect from him? Will he be able to be good enough to where Javtokas is put on the bench and Duncan is moved to center because he will play better with more time?( I think Javtokas will be our starting center unless we get Ben Wallace.) Or should we just trade him while we can because within us we know he will be a bust? If you think he should be dealt with then please write how.

RON ARTEST
06-22-2006, 10:10 AM
do you guys think you can repeat with javtokas as your starting center? he seems pretty damn good to me.

DarrinS
06-22-2006, 10:20 AM
do you guys think you can repeat with javtokas as your starting center? he seems pretty damn good to me.

He definitely looks good against European players.

Fabbs
06-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Money should not be the issue at this point. Spurs owner and organization is farting money, so are the three bigs.

Lets make it about winning, stop any chincyness. Lets give him a try, he certainly was and is good in Europe. Exact position we need.

SenorSpur
06-22-2006, 10:55 AM
I've been reading a lot about Luis Scola. He was in the All-Euroleague First Team this year, but is this guy really worth the wait? When we drafted him and I read his profile about his Euroleague stats I was really excited that he was gonna come. But then came the buyout. The Spurs have been trying to help him as much they can, but it's gone more than 3 years. Then after awhile people were saying that if he ain't coming then trade him. Then people started saying he is an undersized power forward and doesn't rebound or play defense for that matter. And I am ready to say if we don't get him this year that we will never get him. But if he does come, will he put up the stats we expect from him? Will he be able to be good enough to where Javtokas is put on the bench and Duncan is moved to center because he will play better with more time?( I think Javtokas will be our starting center unless we get Ben Wallace.) Or should we just trade him while we can because within us we know he will be a bust? If you think he should be dealt with then please write how.

I saw him in the 2004 Olympic Games when Argentina took home the gold. He was OK, but I didn't get what all the hype was about. Even then it was hard to judge him because Manu was clearly the best player on Argentina's team.

Seems to me he'd be more valuable as trade bait.

Oh, Gee!!
06-22-2006, 01:55 PM
Money should not be the issue at this point. Spurs owner and organization is farting money, so are the three bigs.

Lets make it about winning, stop any chincyness. Lets give him a try, he certainly was and is good in Europe. Exact position we need.

easy to say when it ain't your money

strangeweather
06-22-2006, 02:11 PM

It's not just the absolute dollar cost. When you're over the cap, spending money on one guy means not spending it on someone else.

The problem with Scola is that his number one asset is that he's the best post scorer in Europe. We already have the best post scorer in basketball. I think we can find someone better.

mardigan
06-22-2006, 03:20 PM
How much money will it cost exactly to bring Scola over? I heard something like 14 mill?

Kori Ellis
06-22-2006, 03:22 PM
How much money will it cost exactly to bring Scola over? I heard something like 14 mill?

No one knows.

Last season his buyout was around $14M but they say it's reduced this season to about $4M (however they said last year it was reduced to $2M and in the end, it wasn't). The Spurs can only pay $500K directly to the buyout. Scola has to work it out with Tau to pay the rest (from whatever contract the Spurs give him).

Even if the buyout is low, I don't think the Spurs want to give him the majority of the MLE. I think they are shopping his rights and I don't think he'll be a Spur. (I thought the same thing last summer though :lol)

mardigan
06-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Are his rights even worth anything?

Kori Ellis
06-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Are his rights even worth anything?

Yes. He's regarded by many as the best PF in Europe.

mardigan
06-22-2006, 03:41 PM
I think I would rather just bring in Mahini

Doc Jerome
06-22-2006, 03:56 PM
I think I would rather just bring in Mahini

Ditto. :fro

horrorshow
06-22-2006, 05:20 PM
Ditto. :fro

ditto here as well. Ian is not learning much playing against the likes of Paris Basket Racing. Working out day in, day out against TD is far more beneficial. Also, being in the NBA he will know how much more he has to work to get better. I'm sure in France he feels he's Garnett already.... :wakeup

THE SIXTH MAN
06-22-2006, 09:50 PM
ditto here as well. Ian is not learning much playing against the likes of Paris Basket Racing. Working out day in, day out against TD is far more beneficial. Also, being in the NBA he will know how much more he has to work to get better. I'm sure in France he feels he's Garnett already.... :wakeup
Is it me or does he remind anybody else of K.G.?

ChumpDumper
06-22-2006, 09:51 PM
Is it me or does he remind anybody else of K.G.?Well he can't really play basketball yet, so no.

THE SIXTH MAN
06-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Well he can't really play basketball yet, so no.
:lmao Thanks.

Bruno
06-23-2006, 06:36 AM
What a clueless post :lol

ditto here as well. Ian is not learning much playing against the likes of Paris Basket Racing.
French championship level was perfect for Ian last year : not to strong, not to weak.
For next year, he will likely play the euroleague competition too where the level is very high.

Working out day in, day out against TD is far more beneficial.

NBA teams didn't practice a lot, he will learn way more playing in europe than being in the bench in nba.

Also, being in the NBA he will know how much more he has to work to get better.

You're clueless.
A reason why Mahinmi agrees to stay in europe is that he knows that he hasn't the level to play in nba.

I'm sure in France he feels he's Garnett already.... :wakeup

Clueless again.
Have you ever heard him speaking about his BB level ?
I have and he is very humble.