PDA

View Full Version : Bullshit!!

Dre_7
06-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Now I am the last person to "whine" about officiating of a sporting event, but right now I will!

That penalty called was the weakest shit I have ever seen. If thats grounds for a PK, then the US team start diving as soon as they get in the box. Maybe they will get the same kinda of garbage whistle.

In a must win game where they have just tied, to give a PK like that just goes to show that the refs have no respect for the US.

Complete Bullshit! :pctoss

Texas_Ranger
06-22-2006, 11:05 AM
There was no penalty, but ref is blind.

polandprzem
06-22-2006, 11:13 AM
:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

Dre_7
06-22-2006, 11:15 AM
:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

That was a horrible call. Watch the replay. Watch it from EVERY angle. Bullshit penalty. Any way you slice it.

MannyIsGod
06-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Theres no doubt that call was horrible. No doubt.

polandprzem
06-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Yup that's great we have a thread for that.
So what it was a bad. ( I haven't watched it)

That's the soccer and I learned it long time ago

Dre_7
06-22-2006, 11:24 AM
That call was just ONE of the things that sucked (like Arena and Donovon) for the US in the WC.

polandprzem
06-22-2006, 11:27 AM
That call was just ONE of the things that sucked (like Arena and Donovon) for the US in the WC.

You see :) Now you found some good points :)

Bob Lanier
06-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Now I am the last person to "whine" about officiating, but
:lmao Nothing personal, but the "now, normally I'd be the last, but" line is one of my all-time favorites. (especially with the general milieu here at SpursTalk over the last month)

I'd make a 'gone fishing' poster if I knew what any of the USA's players looked like. :huh

Dre_7
06-22-2006, 11:29 AM
It didnt help that they were without Eddie Pope.

Dre_7
06-22-2006, 11:30 AM
:lmao Nothing personal, but the "now, normally I'd be the last, but" line is one of my all-time favorites. (especially with the general milieu here at SpursTalk over the last month)

I'd make a 'gone fishing' poster if I knew what any of the USA's players looked like. :huh

Search all my posts. Ive never whined about the refs. Never used them as an excuse.

ALVAREZ6
06-22-2006, 11:46 AM
It was a terrible call.

Terrible.

Phenomanul
06-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Bogus, non-existent, phantom, CRAP.

I'm still angered by it... although the thought of Nowitzki racking up undeserved free-throw after free-throw against the Spurs is up there...

MaNuMaNiAc
06-22-2006, 01:59 PM
Welcome to football people... In 2002, England won because of a non existent penalty too. Beckham and Owen both dove and the ref called Beckham's a foul :lol Life's a bitch my friends

P.S. that bullshit about the refs having no respect for the US... pfff come on!!! This isn't basketball! its not about respect, in football it is 10 times harder to referee. I agree the penalty was bogus, but it had more to do with incompetence than respect.

Obstructed_View
06-22-2006, 02:36 PM
If the pussy captain of the team hadn't turned the ball over and then pretended to be hurt it wouldn't matter anyway.

GrandeDavid
06-22-2006, 05:07 PM
That penalty was a terrible call, but the USA had plenty of chances. They had a tough draw and paid the price for getting rolled by Czech. I feel bad for the Czech fans, too. They are a soccer powerhouse nation nowadays, and as recent as a week ago were being talked about, at least in Brazil, as a legitimate title contender this Cup. Now they don't even advance. Injuries just mounted up.

Credit goes to Ghana for taking care of business, but, yeah, that call was painful.

An interesting side note, I watched the game at a trade show down here in Sao Paulo and not just the Brazilian TV guys, but Brazilian colleagues of mine were also like "yeah, that was a horrific call and the USA got jobbed."

Oh well.

GrandeDavid
06-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Landon Donovan was a massive disappointment offensively, and I don't think that there's was a conspiracy. I think the ref screwed up and bought that stupid flop. Kind of reminded me of the Spurs-Mavs series. :lol

Seriously, its disappointing as hell, but I still think the USA had chances to win it in the second half but came up short. I don't blame effort, but one point the Brazilian TV guys made which I completely agree with and shows the Americans' "youth", if you will, as a soccer nation, is that while they have good technique and heart, they lack improvisational skills.

A great soccer nation like Brazil, like Argentina, what have you, has guys who could break through the midfield in the clutch and finish with savvy dribbling, touch passes and timing. I felt that too often the USA tried to force their way through brick walls. On this level of play that just won't cut it.

But, that's how it goes!

Sense
06-22-2006, 05:37 PM
The U.S. was going nowhere anyways... get over it.

TDMVPDPOY
06-22-2006, 05:47 PM
italian acting > usa acting

MannyIsGod
06-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Man, there was one play where I thought Donovan was going to at least try to break down the defense in the box and instead he tries to make a weak pass that was broken up. Dude needs to nut up sometimes like great players are supposed to.

danyel
06-22-2006, 08:54 PM
I agree, that call was total bullshit. Still the US needed a win, and they lost, a tie wouldnt have made any difference.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-22-2006, 09:11 PM
The U.S. was going nowhere anyways... get over it.
I wouldn't be so cocky, you're going home on Saturday http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

danyel
06-22-2006, 09:18 PM
The US needs a south american or a dutch coach, a few more players in Europe biggest leagues and they'll do way better in the next world cup.

Sense
06-22-2006, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't be so cocky, you're going home on Saturday http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

I'm not cocky...How is that a cocky remark? It's the truth and everyone but the delusional American soccer fans knew it. And I've said that we dont have our best team.... yeah that might be an excuse in case we lose... but its the truth..

I'm not saying that Mexico's winning either...

Don't talk about being cocky....

GrandeDavid
06-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Bro, no offense, but if you are a fan of Mexico, remember 2002. ;)

Sense
06-22-2006, 09:31 PM
Bro, no offense, but if you are a fan of Mexico, remember 2002. ;)

Not offensive at all...

And I do remember 2002...

I'm glad they are overwhelmed by that game too..

I don't really care anymore to be honest.... we all know that was their year... I dont see anything like that to happen in the future..

Trust me.

And I expected them to get out in the first round this year too...

No offense but U.S. Soccer sucks :/

GrandeDavid
06-22-2006, 09:35 PM
I'm just messing with you, but if U.S. soccer sucks, Mexico must be festering at the bottom of that suck pond of scum.

Sense
06-22-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm just messing with you, but if U.S. soccer sucks, Mexico must be festering at the bottom of that suck pond of scum.

You're obviously a homer...

GrandeDavid
06-22-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm a homer? No, I just think that your hateful take is pathetic. If you were to bring the same weak smack about Poland or China or any other team, I'd probably step in as well. I just think its pompous, classless and generally disgraceful to pile on a team that was just eliminated. I'm not saying that you embody those traits. You are probably just having some fun, but I respond to your words, flipping the coin, so to speak.

Sense
06-22-2006, 09:50 PM
I'm a homer? No, I just think that your hateful take is pathetic. If you were to bring the same weak smack about Poland or China or any other team, I'd probably step in as well. I just think its pompous, classless and generally disgraceful to pile on a team that was just eliminated. I'm not saying that you embody those traits. You are probably just having some fun, but I respond to your words, flipping the coin, so to speak.

I said the U.S. would lose in the first round before they did... I'm not bashing on them because they just lost... and I just made 1 little post about it, and now I got you calling me classless...

It's called being realistic.

I see teams and respect teams by the way the have passion for the game, and I never see that in the U.S. team, so I just don't expect much from them.

The fact that the coach whined so much about the refs just like the mavs made me sick.... so I don't really have high hopes for the team at all, until they change their ways.

SA Gunslinger
06-23-2006, 12:01 AM
That was a horrible call. But Bocanegra fucked up trying to clear that ball. It put Onyewu in a tough position.

I thought the US had terrible services into the box on corner kicks, free kicks, and crosses. Donovan, especially, screwed up a couple of free kicks.

Horry For 3!
06-23-2006, 12:04 AM
USA always gets fucked over

Stahlkugeln
06-23-2006, 12:26 AM
Amerika saugt!

Three Lions
06-23-2006, 12:35 AM
Welcome to football people... In 2002, England won because of a non existent penalty too. Beckham and Owen both dove and the ref called Beckham's a foul :lol Life's a bitch my friends

P.S. that bullshit about the refs having no respect for the US... pfff come on!!! This isn't basketball! its not about respect, in football it is 10 times harder to referee. I agree the penalty was bogus, but it had more to do with incompetence than respect.

Becks will lick the Argies again just like he licks Posh's nether regions.

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/fifa/gen/fifa/20060620/i/1667061451.jpg

MaNuMaNiAc
06-23-2006, 12:42 AM
Becks will lick the Argies again just like he licks Posh's nether regions.

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/fifa/gen/fifa/20060620/i/1667061451.jpg
:lmao too bad "Becks" will have to go through Brasil first if he wants to "lick" us Argies... good luck there

Sense
06-23-2006, 01:25 AM

Just like the Basketball team right?

pfft.

Obstructed_View
06-23-2006, 02:17 AM
Yeah, poor little USA. If not for that call, the game ends in a tie and the team is still eliminated. USA soccer is just proof to me that suburban kids have no athletic ability.

samikeyp
06-23-2006, 07:03 AM
What about the suburban kids who play high school football and make it to the NFL?

Obstructed_View
06-23-2006, 08:36 AM
What about the suburban kids who play high school football and make it to the NFL?
They aren't playing soccer. It was a joke. Try not to overanalyze it. :)

MannyIsGod
06-23-2006, 01:16 PM
Sense is out of his mind. He's talking shit about US soccer when Mexico BARELY squeezed through to the 2nd round in a FAR weaker group. The US owns Mexico over the past 10 years so if it makes him feel better to bash USA soccer, then by all means feel free but realize that the team your bashing is better than the one you love.

FromWayDowntown
06-23-2006, 01:52 PM
I was disappointed with the style that the Americans played, which mostly could be described from my standpoint as an unwillingness (or an inability) to attack. Too much service with too few players to receive; little push from midfield; ineffective play from strikers.

One thing that bugged me significantly about the American style was the unwillingness of players to step into shots from 30 yards or so. We've all seen (I think) the effectiveness of cannon shots from distance in this tournament. The Americans had several chances against Italy and Ghana to step into shots from areas where other players have been scoring, but for some reason, chose not to do it. Whether that's a lack of skill, a lack of confidence, or a lack of preparation, it's inexcusable to me. If you're struggling to put the ball on net, it makes sense to me to take more chances from distance -- at least that way you're not opening yourself up to counterattack.

I thought the USA acquitted itself well at times, particularly against the Italians. In a different group, the result is probably better. But, with that said, I'd agree that it's time for a new approach. The American team has talent and some players who can succeed at a World Cup level (though guys like Donovan and Beasley have to find consistency and confidence). I just think that Arena did that talent a disservice with some of the odd tactical and strategic decisions that he made.

Phenomanul
06-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Sense is out of his mind. He's talking shit about US soccer when Mexico BARELY squeezed through to the 2nd round in a FAR weaker group. The US owns Mexico over the past 10 years so if it makes him feel better to bash USA soccer, then by all means feel free but realize that the team your bashing is better than the one you love.

I'm not going to defend what he said... but like Basketball, soccer is about clash of styles and matchups...

The U.S. matches up well with Mexico and have learned how to beat them...

The transitive property applies to soccer as much as it does to basketball.

But Mexico has had more acolades as a national team over the same 10 years than the US squad...

If anything though, they are equals.

I wanted them both to pass, but it wasn't to be. crappy, bogus PK.

BTW Mexico was in the Group of death in 1994 and 1998 - and made it to the elimination round both times....

In 1994 they faced:
Norway
Ireland
Italy

And came out in first place.... Italy if you recall lost the final in PKs to Brazil that year... Mexico lost to Bulgaria in PKs as well -- who in turn were robbed in their game against Germany or they would have made it to the semi-final.

In 1998 they faced:
South Korea
Belgium
Holland

They also came out of that group only to lose to Germany in the Round of 16 on a last minute goal by Oliver Bierhoff...

MannyIsGod
06-23-2006, 02:48 PM
Hector, I too like Mexico. To me its weird to like both sides of a rivalry, but I do. Thats what happens when you grow up in a Mexican-American household I guess. I just think Sense can't sit there and bash the US team when they are pretty damn equal with Mexico.

MannyIsGod
06-23-2006, 02:54 PM
I agree, FWD. I think its a shame that Donovan came back to the MLS because he'd be better served as a player to play overseas. I think in the next few years they'll be better. I think it is time for a new coach, and I appreciate all that Arena has done but ti is time to move on from his approach.

Hopefully the US will start payingin the Copa America every time they are invited as well. They need that experience.

nkdlunch
06-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Now I am the last person to "whine" about officiating of a sporting event, but right now I will!

That penalty called was the weakest shit I have ever seen. If thats grounds for a PK, then the US team start diving as soon as they get in the box. Maybe they will get the same kinda of garbage whistle.

In a must win game where they have just tied, to give a PK like that just goes to show that the refs have no respect for the US.

The penalty decision was irrelevant. Even if it had been a draw, Ghana would have gone through. The USA have only scored one goal in the tournament, and I don't see how they could believe they deserve to go through with such ineffective attacking play.

Sense
06-23-2006, 04:32 PM

You and I both know that the Mexican team isnt what it used to be since La Volpe started coaching...

And how is that talking shit? It's the fucking truth and it happened... get over it. Weaker group? hmm maybe... personally I think Czech Republic was overrated this year. The US does not own Mexico, and they know that... but it's ok to try to deny it. It doesn't make me feel better at all, like I said I just stated what would happened and it did. Call me a homer, but I still think the US is not better than Mexico, and there's no way you can say otherwise since the US isn't in contention anymore..

Sense
06-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Hector, I too like Mexico. To me its weird to like both sides of a rivalry, but I do. Thats what happens when you grow up in a Mexican-American household I guess. I just think Sense can't sit there and bash the US team when they are pretty damn equal with Mexico.

Now you need to make up your mind...

Better or equal?

Gerryatrics
06-23-2006, 04:36 PM
7-2-1

cheguevara
06-23-2006, 04:40 PM

welcome to world cup soccer.

Phenomanul
06-23-2006, 05:10 PM
7-2-1

Mexico is 3-3-2 over it's last 8 games against Brasil....

But no way could I claim that Mexico was better than Brasil... I would be crazy to claim that.

cheguevara
06-23-2006, 05:11 PM

regular season :lol

Sense
06-23-2006, 05:30 PM

But no way could I claim that Mexico was better than Brasil... I would be crazy to claim that.

Exactly.

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-23-2006, 05:38 PM
i was hoping the USA would get through but not for Arena's sake. That guy is a fool and i'll never 4get his comments about Australia being one of the two weakest sides in this World Cup.

:smokin

It sucks that the USA didnt make it

ALVAREZ6
06-23-2006, 05:42 PM
That did suck for USA, but it's not like they would even come a little bit close in competing with Brazil.

Phenomanul
06-24-2006, 12:48 AM
regular season :lol

2 friendies in that span... all others were tournaments...

Phenomanul
06-24-2006, 12:50 AM

Actually after looking up the stats.... Mexico has had the best record (success) against Brasil over the past 7 years. It's almost too wierd to contemplate...

Gerryatrics
06-24-2006, 02:14 AM

How many of those Mexico wins were in the World Cup? Besides, 3-3-2 over 8 games is managing to hold your own; 7-2-1 over 10 is domination.

Sense
06-24-2006, 04:17 AM
How many of those Mexico wins were in the World Cup? Besides, 3-3-2 over 8 games is managing to hold your own; 7-2-1 over 10 is domination.

I was going to post somethin else.. but since you're probably going to cry over the bashing of the eliminated team.. I won't.

Gerryatrics
06-24-2006, 04:29 AM
So in other words, you can't actually debate the facts so you try to pass your lack of knowledge off as being too cool to have any idea what the hell you're talking about?

polandprzem
06-24-2006, 04:34 AM
Hi Gerryatrics :)

Sense
06-24-2006, 04:35 AM
So in other words, you can't actually debate the facts so you try to pass your lack of knowledge off as being too cool to have any idea what the hell you're talking about?

cry

Gerryatrics
06-24-2006, 04:42 AM
cry

:jack

polandprzem
06-24-2006, 04:46 AM
Well I think the threads name is correct :tu

:td

Ariel
06-24-2006, 05:18 AM
Actually after looking up the stats.... Mexico has had the best record (success) against Brasil over the past 7 years. It's almost too wierd to contemplate...
There are two notable problems with that stat, both dealing with motivation:

First, you have the competition relevance factor. When Brazil and Mexico play, it's usually for a friendly, or some minor tournament. And, though they are important to Mexico, 5 times world champion Brazil couldn't care less. So you'll see that Mexico will usually field their best team, whereas Brazil will play second or third tier players, who are not used to playing together as a team. And, though they're almost invariably better than their Mexican counterparts, they're far away from their potential.
Second, you have the rivalry factor. Mexicans will surely perceive a match against Brazil as a unique oportunity to prove themselves. To Brazilians, it's just another match... they could play Guatemala for all they care. When it comes to a true derby, then it's a whole different deal. Watch a Brazil - Mexico, and then a Brazil - Argentina, and tell me if both Brazilian teams even share a resemblance... they don't.

On the other hand, one would believe the record for Mexico - USA is a much better indication of their relative status, as it's symmetrical in both aforementioned aspects. They're usually very even teams, with similar goals, and they are the regional derby. Both will usually field their best teams, and both will play to the best of their abilities.

Personally, I still believe Mexico is ahead of USA in general terms... but the gap isn't what Mexicans would like to think it is... at least not anymore.

Spurologist
06-24-2006, 11:53 AM
That did suck for USA, but it's not like they would even come a little bit close in competing with Brazil.

Yes they would.

For five minutes :lol

Phenomanul
06-24-2006, 01:53 PM
There are two notable problems with that stat, both dealing with motivation:

First, you have the competition relevance factor. When Brazil and Mexico play, it's usually for a friendly, or some minor tournament. And, though they are important to Mexico, 5 times world champion Brazil couldn't care less. So you'll see that Mexico will usually field their best team, whereas Brazil will play second or third tier players, who are not used to playing together as a team. And, though they're almost invariably better than their Mexican counterparts, they're far away from their potential.
Second, you have the rivalry factor. Mexicans will surely perceive a match against Brazil as a unique oportunity to prove themselves. To Brazilians, it's just another match... they could play Guatemala for all they care. When it comes to a true derby, then it's a whole different deal. Watch a Brazil - Mexico, and then a Brazil - Argentina, and tell me if both Brazilian teams even share a resemblance... they don't.

You think I don't know that... I do... I've said it numerous and countless ways... Besides the Copa America matchups and Confederations Cup matchups aren't always fielded by Brasil's B-Team... and if they were well, they were the ones that beat Argentina in last year's Confederation's Cup final... you all beat us in a penalty shootout... but then lost to the same Brasil team we had just beat.

On the other hand, one would believe the record for Mexico - USA is a much better indication of their relative status, as it's symmetrical in both aforementioned aspects. They're usually very even teams, with similar goals, and they are the regional derby. Both will usually field their best teams, and both will play to the best of their abilities.

Personally, I still believe Mexico is ahead of USA in general terms... but the gap isn't what Mexicans would like to think it is... at least not anymore.

I've known that too for sometime now. I'm not blind nor am I too much of a homer to admit it.

Phenomanul
06-24-2006, 01:54 PM

Which is impressive enough.... most teams are dominated by Brasil and can rarely, especially over a span of time, 'hold their own'.