PDA

View Full Version : Mavs 3pt overBrickage. Avery?

Fabbs
06-22-2006, 12:07 PM
The Mavs pathetic strategy of hoisting 5-22 3pt bricks in Game 6.
Specifically
1. Jason Terry 2-11 and 7-25
2. Stackhouse 2-6 (altho he did hit a big one to pull within 1 pt)
3. Josh Howard 0-2. only two attempts but still zero makes.
Above 3 with 4 FTAs combined. Stack and Terry with zero.

Contast with...Maquis Daniels off the bench.
He was taking the ball to the rack and getting mid range jumpers.
4-6 f.g.s and 4-5 FTAs.

Utter bullcrap. Avery said after the game "We fell in love with the jump shot and i don't know why. "

Is this another case of NBA players ignoring what their coach said? Anybody got the facts on what Avery said/says about this? I'm having a hard time propping Pat Riley when his team sucked a lot also. 2-18 treys, 19 turnovers, Poutons pathetic play yet no benching.

LEONARD
06-22-2006, 12:10 PM
Specifically

4-6 f.g.s and 4-5 FTAs.

Utter bullcrap. Avery said after the game "We fell in love with the jump shot and i don't know why. "

Is this another case of NBA players ignoring what their coach said? Anybody got the facts on what Avery said/says about this? I'm having a hard time propping Pat Riley when his team sucked a lot also. 2-18 treys, 19 turnovers, Poutons pathetic play yet no benching.

Yep, the Mavs f'd up...in the bonus with 7+ min's left and Shaq and Zo BOTH on the bench and their next 3 possessions were 3 pt shots!? :madrun

Avery was on the radio yesterday and Norm asked him why they did this and the only thing I recall him saying was that he backs his player's decisions. They felt they had good looks and he's confident in their shooting. I'm sure he was really pissed about it though...

Rip-Hamilton32
06-22-2006, 12:14 PM
lol..so many teams have died by the 3..

MadDog73
06-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Including the Spurs.

JMarkJohns
06-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I think the Suns depend on the three too much as well...

StylisticS
06-22-2006, 04:09 PM
The Mavs surely went back to our old self in game 6. Hell, they went back to our old self in game 4 when they got the lead down to 10 in the fourth. I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now.

bulletedge
06-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Dirk laid bricks the entire series. In fact, the local chapter of the Brickworker's Union just named him Man of the Year...but I digress.

In games 4 & 6 in particular Howard, Terry & Stackhouse followed suit.

End of Mavs, 2006.

mabber
06-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I think the Suns depend on the three too much as well...

Suns way can win but they just need some more depth. Those boys were totally gassed in the 4th quarter of game 6 vs. Dallas. They had really played good defense in the 1st half of that game but I think since they didn't do that very often in the regular season and playoffs that it really wore them out. It reminded of the Mavs in past years. They rarely played tough defense but were capable. They'd start to play it in a big playoff game and it would wear them out. This is why teams need to play tough defense the whole season. The Spurs & Pistons knew this, the Mavs now know this, but will the Suns realize it?

JHoLove
06-22-2006, 06:01 PM
It was killing me to see them shoot that many 3s. Especially when the mavs came back to tie after being down, heat in the penalty, and we're throwing up crap 3s. some of them werent even open ones. Especially when the heat have mourning and shaq out for a couple of possessions. The mavs reverted to their old selves. And sometimes that works if you actually are hitting.

Holmes_Fans
06-22-2006, 06:11 PM
It's like Don Nelson was playign sublymonal messages to them. All playoffs they won by driving the lane.

Dallas would of no doubt swept if they kept driving the lane. In game 3 they got up big then started taking jumpers and blew the lead. Same with game 5 and 6.

mavsfan1000
06-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Alonzo was a series changer by blocking a ton of interior shots. It made it hard for the mavs to drive inside. Also Shaq did some pretty hard fouls and maybe scared the mavs to take perimeter shots.

Fabbs
06-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Alonzo was a series changer by blocking a ton of interior shots. It made it hard for the mavs to drive inside. Also Shaq did some pretty hard fouls and maybe scared the mavs to take perimeter shots.

Marquis Daniels unaffected tho. Naw that was very poor strategy by the Mavs. True Zo had some tremendous blocks, but even then Jason Terry tried holding the ball like a loaf of bread and coming in weak against Zo.

Zos' rep was already established. No excuses.

RON ARTEST
06-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Specifically

4-6 f.g.s and 4-5 FTAs.

Is this another case of NBA players ignoring what their coach said? Anybody got the facts on what Avery said/says about this? I'm having a hard time propping Pat Riley when his team sucked a lot also. 2-18 treys, 19 turnovers, Poutons pathetic play yet no benching.why are some of you guys obsessed with the mavs?

Holmes_Fans
06-22-2006, 09:45 PM
They keep forgetting to change it from NBA News Central to Mavtalk Central. 95% of the threads have to do with dirk or cuban.