PDA

View Full Version : What if OAI Owned the Express News?

Nbadan
06-22-2006, 07:59 PM
For all practical purposes, OAI (the Faux News of SA) already runs KMOL-TV, now some Republicans want to make it easier for news conglomerates to own more of the media in the same markets...

FCC kicks off review of media ownership rules
By Jeremy Pelofsky

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Communications Commission Wednesday launched what is expected to be a fierce battle over whether to relax media ownership restrictions on television, radio and newspapers, a move that could spark consolidation in the industry.

A top priority of Republican FCC Chairman Kevin Martin's agenda has been to allow a company to own a newspaper and a radio or television station that serve the same market, and he repeated his desire to revamp the 1975 ban preventing such cross-ownership.

"The commission should take into account the competitive realities of the media marketplace while also ensuring the promotion of the important goals of localism and diversity," Martin, a Republican, said at the FCC's monthly open meeting....

---

The two Democrats on the five-member commission criticized the new effort. And consumer advocates have already formed alliances to lobby against making consolidation easier, arguing it would squeeze out independent voices and reduce local content.

"Even under the old rules, consolidation grows, localism suffers and diversity dwindles," said FCC Commissioner Michael Copps, a Democrat. "If we make the wrong decision, our communities will suffer and our country will suffer."...

CNN (http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/0002/20060621/1929831914.htm)

Not that it matters in SA because the Hearst Corp, current owners and operators of the Express-News, and KMOL are both so wing-nut I wouldn't be surpised if they coolaborated on news stories already.

SA210
06-22-2006, 08:08 PM
News4 sucks.

Ocotillo
06-22-2006, 08:51 PM
^^ we'll get the Troubleshooters right on it.......

SA210
06-22-2006, 08:53 PM
^^ we'll get the Troubleshooters right on it.......
Nah, the Troubleshooters are usually too busy picking on "mom and pop" businesses.

fyatuk
06-22-2006, 10:59 PM
News4 sucks.

EN isn't exactly top notch either. SA is really lacking in news quality...

Trainwreck2100
06-22-2006, 11:05 PM
I miss Dan Cook, he was the shit

SA210
06-23-2006, 12:19 AM
EN isn't exactly top notch either. SA is really lacking in news quality...
I agree with that.

xrayzebra
06-23-2006, 01:40 PM
Yep, the good old E-N. Closed on paper, bought another, trying to run it like
the first and losing readership. Something is wrong with this picture.

Looks like they will never learn. Oh, well. Theirs to screw up if they want to
I guess.

Extra Stout
06-23-2006, 01:45 PM
For all practical purposes, OAI (the Faux News of SA) already runs KMOL-TV, now some Republicans want to make it easier for news conglomerates to own more of the media in the same markets...

Not that it matters in SA because the Hearst Corp, current owners and operators of the Express-News, and KMOL are both so wing-nut I wouldn't be surpised if they coolaborated on news stories already.

The E-N is wingnut? :lmao

Media consolidation is bad. The Internet has hamstrung the efforts of mainstream media to control the message, but they're going after the Internet now too.

A small number of major corporations in this country are working very hard to control our lives and make us into mindless consumers to feed the beast.

Nbadan
06-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Media consolidation is bad. The Internet has hamstrung the efforts of mainstream media to control the message, but they're going after the Internet now too.

Don't think that sites like ESPN and NBA.com wouldn't like to force sites like Spurstalk to consolidate with them either. Net neutrality affects every part of Spurstalk.