PDA

View Full Version : Najera biding time is familiar territory (speedy hurt again)

ducks
10-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Najera biding time is familiar territory
By Marcus Thompson II, CONTRA COSTA TIMES

OAKLAND - It's a good thing Eduardo Najera is used to earning his playing time. It's a good thing he's learned the importance of seizing every opportunity.

Barring injuries, he's going to have to do it again with the Warriors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Najera, a 6-foot-8, 240-pound forward acquired by the Warriors in August from Dallas in the Erick Dampier trade, has been thrown into a logjam. With incumbents Mike Dunleavy and Calbert Cheaney at small forward and Troy Murphy and Cliff Robinson at power forward, it's safe to say minutes for another forward will be scarce.

"I did it every year in Dallas," said Najera, who averaged 17.4 minutes per game in four years with Dallas. "Every year they brought in new players. It's the same way with any other team. You've just got to go there and start from the bottom and work yourself up, and you've got to do it through practice. You've got to show in practice you're willing to do whatever it takes to win ballgames and that you're going to be there with a great attitude. That's the way you do it."

With guard Mickael Pietrus out until possibly early December because of left shoulder surgery, Najera might have a better chance for action early on. Cheaney will have to back up Jason Richardson at shooting guard, leaving Najera behind Dunleavy at small forward.

But even with Pietrus in the lineup, there is little doubt coach Mike Montgomery will find time for Najera. Montgomery has said he's going to tinker with plenty of different lineup combinations. And there is no doubt Najera's penchant for hustle and defense will find a way into Montgomery's plans.

"I think he can really help us," Montgomery said. "Because he's not one of those guys that you're going to be able to say, 'Well, he did this and he did that.' But he's one of those guys, when it's all said, helps you win, gives you numbers in a lot of different areas.

"I'm going to need somebody to pick us up," Montgomery added. "I'm going to need somebody to give us a lift energy-wise, physically, and I think he can do that."

In Dallas, Najera's defensive abilities often were placed on the back burner in favor of more offensively capable options. He also played second fiddle to more notable players, such as Dirk Nowitzki, Antoine Walker and Antawn Jamison.

But Najera, 28, said he was encouraged by Montgomery's emphasis on defense and hustle, which makes him a desirable commodity.

"It means that I get to play a little bit more," said Najera, who's averaged 4.9 points and 3.9 rebounds per game in his four-year NBA career. "That is a positive thing."

The key for Najera, though, still is efficiency. He's going to have to make the few shots he'll likely get, shut down the players he'll be called on to guard and mix in some of his trademark hustle plays. When he leaves a game, everyone's going to have to know he was there.

Najera gave a taste of how economical he can be in Thursday's 90-71 exhibition win over visiting Portland: 13 points, including 7-for-8 from the free-throw line, 10 rebounds, four assists, four steals, five fouls.

All in 22 minutes. With a strained right groin.

"Only so many guys are going to play," Najera said. "You've got to make something positive happen."

Notes: Richardson, who was not present for Thursday's game because of food poisoning, practiced Friday and said he felt fine. He was listed as questionable for Sunday's exhibition game vs. the Los Angeles Lakers in Bakersfield ... Murphy did not attend practice Friday. Team officials said he was sick. ... Center Adonal Foyle (strained left hamstring) missed practice again Friday. He also is questionable for Sunday. ... Point guard Speedy Claxton sat out of practice because of soreness in his left groin. His status for Sunday is uncertain.