PDA

View Full Version : A Moment With Matt Bonner

Manu20
06-22-2006, 08:22 PM
June 22, 2006
A Moment With Matt Bonner
Daniel Banks, spurs.com

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/bonner_060622.html

Matt Bonner sat in the Spurs Practice Facility on Tuesday afternoon looking comfortable in shorts and a University of Florida t-shirt. It was the attire he had with him when his whole world was turned around. "I was at the University of Florida working with Coach Donovan's basketball camp when I got a call from Bryan Colangelo telling me the trade was going to happen," he says. So Bonner hopped a plane to Texas to see the city he'll be calling home.

Matt is quick to answer when asked about what he hopes to add to the Spurs lineup next season, "Definitely my outside shot - try to stretch out the defense and open things up a little for Tim Duncan." Last year, Bonner averaged 42% from beyond the arc and sank over 100 three pointers.

He expects to contribute more than threes in 06-07 even though he doesn’t know yet what will be asked of him, "I'll do whatever the coaches want to the best of my ability to help the team. I haven't been to the playoffs in two years so I'm really excited to be able to contend for a championship next year."

He is also excited about playing in this city as well as for the Spurs: "I had a tremendous respect for the team. Everyone from the NBA that I talked to said it was the best organization in the league." As for the city, Matt showed an affinity for it back when he was a visiting Raptor. "We stayed down by the River Walk and I went to the Alamo both times we were here. I went through the whole museum...headphones and everything."

While Matt is eager to begin his role with the Spurs, there are a few loose ends to tie up first including relocating to Texas. He's already spent time overseas traveling to China as part of the Basketball Without Borders program and will spend the next three weeks hosting the Matt Bonner Basketball Camp in his home state of New Hampshire. He also plans to get in a few mountain hikes before returning to San Antonio to get acclimated.

His official welcome was quick in coming. After landing in town he ran into none other than Tim Duncan in the airport and chatted with his new teammate about the upcoming season. Bonner jokes, "Yeah, he gave me a playbook as matter of fact."

jman3000
06-22-2006, 08:25 PM
:tu

good read

rayray2k8
06-22-2006, 08:43 PM
He definitly sounds like he'll fit right in, and will do whatever it takes to fit in as well.
I can already see Bill Walton buying into him.. No, I can actually HEAR the son-of-a-bitch.

exstatic
06-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Matt is quick to answer when asked about what he hopes to add to the Spurs lineup next season, "Definitely my outside shot - try to stretch out the defense and open things up a little for Tim Duncan." Last year, Bonner averaged 42% from beyond the arc and sank over 100 three pointers.
Academic All American, indeed. :smokin

SA210
06-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Let's Go Spurs!!!

flipcritic
06-22-2006, 09:46 PM
You guys do know that he's one of the very few (if not only) players in the NBA who does not own a car? He likes to walk around.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/players/04/04/bonner0410/index.html

Your typical NBA player gets his driver's license at 16, his first pro contract at 20 and -- if he's lucky enough to be drafted in the first round -- a different car for each day of the week. The Heat's Gary Payton, for example, has so many Bentleys he once told The Miami Herald he couldn't remember how many he owned. "I've got four or five of them," he said.

But Toronto's Matt Bonner, a frugal forward in a world of frequent excess, has put off investing in a set of wheels. The car-less Bonner, 25, prefers to get around Toronto by streetcars, the subway or his own size 16 feet. Fans and teammates call the 6-foot-10 Bonner "the Red Rocket" -- the nickname of the city's streetcar system. "I'd rather buy something that appreciates in value than something that loses half of it when you drive it off the lot," says Bonner, who majored in business at Florida.

Traveling among the people has helped turn Bonner -- who'll often stroll the one mile from his home to the Air Canada Centre -- into one of Toronto's most popular sports figures. He truly does have the common touch. A Concord, N.H., native who's the son of an elementary schoolteacher (his mother, Paula) and a mailman (his father, David), Bonner spent the 2003-04 season playing for Sicilia, an Italian club so near to bankruptcy that he didn't draw a paycheck for half the season. Even though he signed a two-year deal with Toronto for $4 million last summer, he still needed a talking-to from Raptors coach Sam Mitchell, who advised him (it was pre-NBA dress code) to bring his wardrobe up to league standards.

Bonner, who averages 7.1 points a game, lives in a furnished, one-bedroom apartment in downtown Toronto and has used a portion of his earnings to move his parents from a two-bedroom condo to a three-bedroom house. But he hasn't splurged since -- not even for a little extra protein. "Just the other day I was at Subway and wanted to double the chicken in my sub," he recalls. "But it was $2 more. I was like, What a rip-off!"

ChumpDumper
06-22-2006, 09:47 PM
Frankly, I know more than I need to at this point -- and it's only been one day.

rayray2k8
06-22-2006, 10:51 PM
am i the first one to make a BONER joke?
We'll call him that every time he fucks up. :lol
So yes there will be alot of "boner" jokes. :rolleyes

jmard5
06-22-2006, 11:12 PM
Well, we got Bones and Boner in our lineup. How do you like the sound of that?

timvp
06-23-2006, 12:45 AM
The Spurs had Tim Duncan pick him up at the airport? They must think this guy has a chance to be a nice piece to the puzzle.

:smokin

P.S.

Duncan is the man. How hard would other superstars be laughing when asked if they wanted to go pickup Matt Bonner at the airport?

Please_dont_ban_me
06-23-2006, 12:57 AM
Did the Raptors include a tanning booth?

Obstructed_View
06-23-2006, 02:43 AM
So if he was the Red Rocket in Toronto, does he become the Via in San Antonio?

SenorSpur
06-23-2006, 02:47 AM
All that's good, but can he play any defense? He'll be spending some time guarding Dirk.

Kori Ellis
06-23-2006, 02:52 AM
He's not a stellar defender or a big rebounder. He is a shooter.

jman3000
06-23-2006, 02:56 AM
The Spurs had Tim Duncan pick him up at the airport? They must think this guy has a chance to be a nice piece to the puzzle.

P.S.

Duncan is the man. How hard would other superstars be laughing when asked if they wanted to go pickup Matt Bonner at the airport?

I don't know if you're joking or not, but I read it as Duncan just happened to be at the airport at the same time as Bonner... kinda like a coincedence.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-23-2006, 02:57 AM
I don't know if you're joking or not, but I read it as Duncan just happened to be at the airport at the same time as Bonner... kinda like a coincedence.

Na, it wasn't...

Or at least I don't think so. Duncan has met players in the past too. I think the "who do I see, none other than tim duncan" was jsut a way of saying he was shocked TD came to greet him.

Obstructed_View
06-23-2006, 03:00 AM
I thought they called it an "official welcome" so I thought they sent Duncan to meet him, too. In addition, I can't imagine Timmy having a playbook on him in June.

violentkitten
06-23-2006, 03:14 AM
duncan is the shit. you know he's ready to get back on the court and kick someone's ass.

Buddy Holly
06-23-2006, 03:19 AM
After landing in town he ran into none other than Tim Duncan in the airport and chatted with his new teammate about the upcoming season.

That just sounds like they ran into each other, not that he was there picking him up.

Kori Ellis
06-23-2006, 03:22 AM
Duncan also welcomed him Thursday morning after coincidentally running into him at the airport.

Obstructed_View
06-23-2006, 03:27 AM
So I guess it wasn't "official" after all.

timvp
06-23-2006, 04:20 AM
Yeah, I'm sure Duncan just so happened to be hanging around the San Antonio Airport striking conversations with people as they reached their destination.

:rolleyes

polandprzem
06-23-2006, 04:21 AM
Yeah, I'm sure Duncan just so happened to be hanging around the San Antonio Airport striking conversations with people as they reached their destination.

:rolleyes

yeah that was I was thinking :) :tu

ALVAREZ6
06-23-2006, 05:21 AM
Just imagine Allen Iverson getting a call from Billy King, telling him to pick some scrub up :lol

Tim Duncan is the man, he's gonna kick ass this year.

angel_luv
06-23-2006, 08:21 AM
"Just the other day I was at Subway and wanted to double the chicken in my sub," he recalls. "But it was $2 more. I was like, What a rip-off!"

:lol

So far the only thing I don't like about this guy is that he replaced Sho.

Supergirl
06-23-2006, 08:53 AM
If Bonner shot 42% from outside BEFORE playing with the Spurs, imagine what it could be next year. Most 3 point shooters' percentages go up after joining the Spurs...

Obstructed_View
06-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Just don't let him talk to Brent...

NBA Junkie
06-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Is anyone else worried that this recent trade is a sign that the Spurs plan on playing a lot more "small ball" in the upcoming season?

By ridding themselves of Nesterovic, it's likely that Nazr isn't going anywhere...unless they have something else up their sleeves.

Supergirl
06-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Is anyone else worried that this recent trade is a sign that the Spurs plan on playing a lot more "small ball" in the upcoming season?

By ridding themselves of Nesterovic, it's likely that Nazr isn't going anywhere...unless they have something else up their sleeves.

Yes.

But I trust Pop. After all, he has 3 NBA championships, and I have 0. I suspect that with Shaq's days numbered and the change in rules to emphasize offense over defense, he's looking ahead to a future where the days of the classic "big man" are numbered...Rasho's usefulness is on the decline, unfortunately.

picnroll
06-23-2006, 09:37 AM
Everybody keeps bagging on small ball. Everybody is so indoctrinated with the twin towers approach. Twin towers works great, particualrly the way the game is reffed today, if you have one of the towers as agile and quick as DRob that can play virtually any 3 and some 2s.

Haslem is Miami's PF and he is definitely an undersized PF by standard convention. Same with Walker. More of small ball PFs.

Trouble with Spurs small ball is that they lack that athletic combo SF/PF size player. Horry is the Spurs small ball big, problem is he's too slow anymore. If the Spurs can get a small ball "big" small ball will be a valuable weapon because few teams have a big to anchor small ball and match up with the quality and versatility of Duncan to match up in a samll ball game.

FromWayDowntown
06-23-2006, 09:56 AM

That doesn't worry me. I hear all the criticisms of small ball and the laments about what the Spurs might have done against Dallas had they stayed with a tall ball approach. What strikes me, more than anything else, though, is that the Spurs played small ball with a roster that wasn't built to do that and still almost got over. I don't think it's a bad move to re-tool your roster to make it one that can play small ball if need be.

And If Pop is convinced that small ball will be the ultimate path to success, I'm hard pressed to doubt him.

I'm absolutely convinced that the Spurs made this deal both to rid themselves of Rasho's contract and to acquire Bonner. The way that they've been hustling Bonner through suggests to me that he was a target (the target?) all along. I don't think Matt Bonner is here to defend Dirk Nowitzki in the waning moments of playoff games, but I do think he's here to give the Spurs some options, while adding some versatility to the front court that will compliment Duncan, while bringing youth, intelligence, hustle, and toughness.

Phenomanul
06-23-2006, 11:09 AM

P.S.

CIA Pop: "Hey Timmy, you know those pocket versions of our playbook we had made... I'm going to need you to give one of your copies to our newest member... be sure he knows what '4th-down' is... the catch is, you have to go to the airport and do it personally..."

Duncan "I guess... whatever is best for the team."

Phenomanul
06-23-2006, 11:13 AM
That doesn't worry me. I hear all the criticisms of small ball and the laments about what the Spurs might have done against Dallas had they stayed with a tall ball approach. What strikes me, more than anything else, though, is that the Spurs played small ball with a roster that wasn't built to do that and still almost got over. I don't think it's a bad move to re-tool your roster to make it one that can play small ball if need be.

And If Pop is convinced that small ball will be the ultimate path to success, I'm hard pressed to doubt him.

I'm absolutely convinced that the Spurs made this deal both to rid themselves of Rasho's contract and to acquire Bonner. The way that they've been hustling Bonner through suggests to me that he was a target (the target?) all along. I don't think Matt Bonner is here to defend Dirk Nowitzki in the waning moments of playoff games, but I do think he's here to give the Spurs some options, while adding some versatility to the front court that will compliment Duncan, while bringing youth, intelligence, hustle, and toughness.

Even though we lost... the SPURS/MAVS series was by far the best series in this year's playoffs... call me biased. And if smallball helps dispel the notion that the Spurs are the most boring team in the league... I'm for that... Of course, Defense still wins championships... and that would mean we have to average 102 ppg next year and 88 ppga.... Boring!!! pffftttt

timvp
06-23-2006, 02:59 PM

Yeah, I have to believe that Bonner was the player the Spurs wanted. If it was just a salary dump, the Spurs wouldn't have rushed him to town and put him in front of the media.

If he can improve this summer and fit in, Bonner is going to be deadly as a 6-foot-10 sharpshooter next to Duncan.

ShoogarBear
06-23-2006, 03:51 PM
I haven't seen this much gushing over a guy since we got Brent Barry . . .

Que Gee
06-23-2006, 09:16 PM
He's not a stellar defender or a big rebounder. He is a shooter.

Chance he won't even be on the roster when the season starts...(part of a package)

Kori Ellis
06-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Chance he won't even be on the roster when the season starts...(part of a package)

Well they can't trade him in a package for 2 months. I don't know if they'll make a trade that late.

jman3000
06-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Duncan also welcomed him Thursday morning after coincidentally running into him at the airport

Edit: Shit... too late to say anything

:drunk

picnroll
06-23-2006, 09:23 PM
The fact the Spurs are making press about Bonner should mean he's intended to stay. Notice the complete void of information about Williams form the Spurs, directly or from their press mouthpieces, Ludden, Monroe or Harvey.

jman3000
06-23-2006, 09:28 PM
The fact the Spurs are making press about Bonner should mean he's intended to stay. Notice the complete void of information about Williams form the Spurs, directly or from their press mouthpieces, Ludden, Monroe or Harvey.

He might just be on vacation or something ... but I do agree that Bonner was the centerpiece (for us) in this trade.

horrorshow
06-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Yes.

But I trust Pop. After all, he has 3 NBA championships, and I have 0. I suspect that with Shaq's days numbered and the change in rules to emphasize offense over defense, he's looking ahead to a future where the days of the classic "big man" are numbered...Rasho's usefulness is on the decline, unfortunately.

so is Rasho's contract...

Please_dont_ban_me
06-24-2006, 12:33 AM
Ya, in the Ludden article today it seemed more like it was just a coincidence.

Wonder what TD was doing at the airport.

ChumpDumper
06-24-2006, 03:29 AM
Wonder what TD was doing at the airport.Checking out the awesome art exhibits in the unused gates!

Culture, motherfuckers![/Buddy Holly]

ChumpDumper
06-24-2006, 03:34 AM
BTW, has anyone called him the Great Red Hope yet?

Be sure to use it the next time LJ pimps him.

timvp
06-24-2006, 03:36 AM
BTW, has anyone called him the Great Red Hope yet?

Be sure to use it the next time LJ pimps him.

Is this where I say that Matt Bonner is surprising athletic and plays with a lot of heart?

ChumpDumper
06-24-2006, 03:37 AM
You need to wake up Ghost with a phone call to tell him about the athleticism.

whottt
06-24-2006, 03:44 AM
Maybe as exstatic has noted...the Spurs did this trade so early so they can trade Williams before the regular season if they get their real target, maybe he can be traded for their real target...and if they don't get someone younger, he's insurance.

That contract makes him easily tradeable.

I've seen Bonner play a little and personally I'm not too excited about it. I'm glad TimVP is high on him but frankly, I'm wondering what games TimVP saw, because he comes off to me as Mark Madden with a 3 shot.

*prepares to run Baby Walton smack at TimVP*

I'll withhold judgement on his shooting till I see how he shoots under pressure...anyone can shoot 42% in the lottery and his rebounding and shotblocking appear to suck...unlike Malik Rose, Bonner is 6'10. I don't think he's going to be as good as Malik was.

The problem is that we still don't have our Dirk Stopper...that's the biggest need this offseason.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-24-2006, 04:05 AM
If he's similar to Brian Cardinal, I'll be happy.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-24-2006, 04:06 AM
The problem is that we still don't have our Dirk Stopper...that's the biggest need this offseason.

Erik Williams is a James Posey type defender you can throw at Dirk.

ambchang
06-24-2006, 08:10 AM
If he's similar to Brian Cardinal, I'll be happy.
Don't worry, other than being white and tall guy who shoot 3 pters, they have absolutely no similarities.
I have see Bonner a lot, I love how he hustles, but he is NOT a starter, he is a role player in the strictest sense, a big guy, who shoot outside shots. he's a very smart player, hustles his butt off, but he is really really slow, he cannot defend, even though he tries his best. Think of him as a Bill Wennington with more range.

SpursWoman
06-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Well, we got Bones and Boner in our lineup. How do you like the sound of that?

:tu :tu

picnroll
06-24-2006, 08:25 AM
Spurs traded a stiff for a boner. Hard to beat.

MI21
06-24-2006, 09:30 AM
Well, at least the Spurs got there tall, heavy white guy to stick on Bonzi Wells :)

Redhead, too. What could be better!

Bruno
06-26-2006, 06:49 PM
http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/matt_bonner/2006/06/26/next_stop_texas/

Now my sights are turned to the city of San Antonio. I flew there on Thursday to meet with everyone and unfortunately, it looks like I'll need to buy a car. The city is just too spread out and I checked the bus routes (there's no red rocket there ... go figure) to the arena and there's around four transfers -- which is way to complicated for me. With my luck, I'd get on the wrong bus and end up somewhere in Mexico. And since Jose (Calderon) didn't teach me any Spanish, I have know idea how I'd get back. So if you see me around and you have a good idea on what type of car I should buy, feel free give me your opinion. I need the advice. See you next season ...

I like this guy. :elephant