PDA

View Full Version : When's the earliest we can trade Williams

Buddy Holly
06-23-2006, 03:38 AM
I think he's part of a future trade along with Beno or Barry.

ChumpDumper
06-23-2006, 03:38 AM
90 days in a package, IIRC.

Kori Ellis
06-23-2006, 03:39 AM
I think it's 2 months actually.

Kori Ellis
06-23-2006, 03:40 AM
I believe this is the correct rule:

In addition, teams cannot trade players under the following circumstances:

For two months after receiving the player in trade or claiming him off waivers, if the player is being traded in combination with other players. However, the team is free to trade the player by himself (not packaged with other players) immediately. This restriction applies only to teams over the salary cap.

ChumpDumper
06-23-2006, 03:48 AM
I sit corrected.

Kori Ellis
06-23-2006, 04:04 AM
I sit corrected.

Well I wasn't sure either. I looked it up yesterday because people were spouting off about December 15 and I knew that was for free agent signings not trades.

ChumpDumper
06-23-2006, 04:09 AM
It might have changed. I'm still behind the curve on some of the aspects of the new CBA. I was pretty sure he would be abel to be packaged before the start of the season at any rate.

T Park
06-23-2006, 04:10 AM
Looks like his usefullness in a trade, would only come up in February.

I for one would like to see if hes got anything left. He sure was having a great year two years ago until he got traded there.

MaNu4Tres
06-23-2006, 06:52 AM
AUGUST 21st 2006

exstatic
06-23-2006, 07:45 AM
I think Williams will either be bought out early, or kept until the trade deadline. At the deadline, some teams' dreams of playoffs have been dashed already, and they're ready to clear caproom for the summer. Very few teams are looking to clear caproom for next summer already.

King
06-23-2006, 09:00 AM
Can a team, in theory, circumvent the multiple player package rule by agreeing to a package - and then pulling it off in two separate trades? For example.

Brent and Beno for JR Smith and Speedy

Eric Williams for Arvydas Macijauskas

Six player deal - two trades to pull it off. Would the league see through that, or is the rule a formality?

Obstructed_View
06-23-2006, 09:03 AM
Can a team, in theory, circumvent the multiple player package rule by agreeing to a package - and then pulling it off in two separate trades? For example.

Eric Williams for Jasikevicius

Six player deal - two trades to pull it off. Would the league see through that, or is the rule a formality?
Unless the other two teams are exchanging something, what you just described is two separate trades.

I was wondering if the Spurs were to make a move to get under the cap before the time limit if they can then move him.

Bruno
06-23-2006, 09:06 AM

Eric Williams for Jasikevicius

You should mean Macijauskas ?
And yes, you can do two separate trades.

Oh, Gee!!
06-23-2006, 09:08 AM
I think he's part of a future trade along with Beno or Barry.

plus Manu and Parker for D-Wade :smokin

Texas_Ranger
06-23-2006, 09:10 AM
plus Manu and Parker for D-Wade :smokin

Fuck Wade :madrun

King
06-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Unless the other two teams are exchanging something, what you just described is two separate trades.

I was wondering if the Spurs were to make a move to get under the cap before the time limit if they can then move him.

My mistake - I meant to put Arvydas Macijauskas. Don't know why I put Sarunas.

Basically, a six player deal between the Hornets and Spurs - but with two different trades to pull it off. I'll edit the original one.

Obstructed_View
06-23-2006, 09:12 AM
My mistake - I meant to put Arvydas Macijauskas. Don't know why I put Sarunas.

Basically, a six player deal between the Hornets and Spurs - but with two different trades to pull it off. I'll edit the original one.
I was sort of wondering how jasikevicius suddenly got into the conversation. :)

King
06-23-2006, 09:15 AM
I was sort of wondering how jasikevicius suddenly got into the conversation. :)

Ha - it pretty much made my question seem like a stupid one.

ambchang
06-23-2006, 09:34 AM
Back in the days, Williams is a good scorer, and a decent shooter for a big man. He is a lock down defender, and would be an excellent for the Spurs, I actually think he is better than Bonner for the Spurs.
But on the other hand, he is 33, and perhaps his age has robbed him of his quickness.

violentkitten
06-23-2006, 09:47 AM
heres an idea. take a look at the players with somewhat long contracts in the same salary range as williams currently. maybe spurs could find a deal with that. probably have to include a pick or some such.

violentkitten
06-23-2006, 09:50 AM
what would be neat would be if the spurs could work out a sign and trade of williams+cash+pick(?) for jumaine jones.

dbestpro
06-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Teams under the salary cap may make trades as they please, as long as they don't end up more than $100,000 above the salary cap following a trade. But if a team is over the cap, or they are under the cap and a trade would take them more than $100,000 over the cap, then an exception is required. An exception is the mechanism that allows a team to make trades or sign free agents and be over the salary cap. Since teams are usually over the salary cap, trades are usually accomplished using exceptions.

Any trade which results in the team ending up over the salary cap requires an exception. This is true even if the team is moving downward in salary. For example, if the salary cap is $50 million, a team has a team salary of $55 million, and they want to trade a $5 million player for a $4 million player, they still have to use an exception. Even though their team salary would be decreasing by $1 million, the fact that they would still be over the salary cap ($54 million) means that an exception is required.

The Traded Player exception is the primary means used by teams over the cap for completing trades. It allows teams to make trades that leave them over the cap, but it places several restrictions on those trades. Trades using the Traded Player exception are classified into two categories: simultaneous and non-simultaneous. As its name suggests, a simultaneous trade takes place all at once. Teams can acquire up to 125% plus $100,000 of the salaries they are trading in a simultaneous trade. For example, a team trading a $5 million player in a simultaneous trade can receive one or more players whose salary is no more than 125% of $5 million, plus $100,000, or $6.35 million in return.

venitian navigator
06-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Brent for J.R. smith and Macijauskas (the original trade)

Udrih and Mohammed (sign and trade) for P.J. Brown and Claxton (sign and trade)

E. Williams for 15 choice

These are three separate deals that can work for NBA Rules and can be worked out 'cause, actually, is just one deal at all....

N.O. can do it 'cause they are under the cap.
And the money involved, at the end, would be the same for both teams...