PDA

View Full Version : Goin to the beach? Check out this gulf hammerhead...

CosmicCowboy
06-23-2006, 01:47 PM
http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/saltwater/hammerhead/page8

It was noon on the southern Gulf Coast of Florida when Captain Bucky Dennis of Port Charlotte watched a massive hammerhead shark chomp down on a stingray he was live-lining in Boca Grande Pass. By the time he and his crew had secured the fish, nearly six hours had passed and he found himself 12-miles offshore in his 23-foot flats boat with winds gusting and seas building. But it wasn't until the fish hit a certified scale later that night that Dennis found out he may have a shot at the next IGFA all-tackle world record for great hammerhead. Measuring 14 1/2 feet, the mammoth shark tipped the scales at 1,280 pounds-potentially crushing the former record of 991-pounds that has stood since 1982. Although the catch has not yet been officially certified, Dennis admitted he was hunting a new world record, making sure all his tackle and tactics were in compliance with IGFA rules. Dennis had seen the hammerhead cruising in the pass in the days before the hook-up. Attracted by the vast amount of tarpon that flock to the area, these sharks cash in on fish that tire during fights with anglers that typically use 40- to 50-pound line. But Dennis came equipped with stand-up gear spooled with 130-pound PowerPro and a 600-pound cable leader. After pulling his live stingray away from several smaller sharks, the giant hammerhead eventually took a bite and the ride began. "Every time we would get near the leader, the shark would dive again," said Dennis. "When we finally got the first flying gaff behind its dorsal fin, it towed us around for quite a while." When the hammerhead was beaten, the crews of other boats in the area tried to assist Dennis and his crew to get the fish across the deck of the flats boat for a faster ride home, but the more shark that came aboard, the deeper the low-sided boat dipped underwater. It was quickly decided that it would be safer to tow the catch, which took nearly three hours. When the crew reached the boat ramp in Placida, they pulled the hammerhead out on a boat trailer and took it to a nearby weigh station on the Boca Grande Causeway. So what did pending record-holder Dennis do with the fish? He donated it to the Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota where it will be studied by their research team. Look for more about this catch in the August issue of SWS.
—Joe Cermele

http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/saltwater/hammerhead

I can't link the pictures. Follow the link and look at the slide show. This thing is enormous. I saw a hammerhead that big or bigger hurricane surfing in Freeport once. Scared the crap out of me.

CosmicCowboy
06-23-2006, 02:01 PM
heres a small picture...

http://espn-att.starwave.com/winnercomm/outdoors/general/i/P2_g_hammerhd_rec_May25.jpg

katyon6th
06-23-2006, 02:03 PM
What are they going to do with the shark?

CosmicCowboy
06-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Those suckers are good to eat. They are probably "researching" different recipes...:lol

dougp
06-23-2006, 02:10 PM
I hate it when people fish for sharks ... then I remember the one day they decide to go wading and get attacked by a bull shark. Then all is redemed.

ShoogarBear
06-23-2006, 02:11 PM
I think they needed a bigger boat.

SpursWoman
06-23-2006, 02:15 PM
I hate it when people fish for sharks ...

Why?

Marklar MM
06-23-2006, 02:24 PM
A new Jaws is always born when one is killed.

MannyIsGod
06-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Man, I'd hate to be pulling that thing onto the boat by its head.

Whoops! There goes my arm! :lol

That is bad ass though.

I still want to go fishing on a charter, anyone down?

CosmicCowboy
06-23-2006, 02:31 PM
I caught a baby hammerhead (and a bunch of other type small sharks) Trout fishing in the surf at Port A a couple of weeks ago...that baby hammerhead was really cute...he was obviously freshly born because he was only about 10" long. Which means his big bad mother was around there somewhere...:lol

Billy Cobham
06-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Sharks are cool. Dangerous, but cool.

ALVAREZ6
06-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Big hammerhead, but it doesn't beat that tiger shark that was caught last july.

http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0720/4746947_320X240.jpg

Massive Shark Caught Off Vineyard
Contestant Misses Deadline By 6 Minutes

POSTED: 10:21 am EDT July 20, 2005
UPDATED: 2:59 pm EDT July 21, 2005

OAK BLUFFS, Mass. -- It wasn't too little, but it was too late.

Fishermen who hauled in a massive 1,100 pound tiger shark off Massachusetts this past weekend failed to capture first place in the monster shark derby on Martha's Vineyard.

The reason: The boat was six minutes too late in returning to Oak Bluffs harbor with its catch.

The toothy tiger shark may not have won the competition, but it did win the admiration of other fishermen. Steven James of the Boston Big Game Fishing Club said this truly was a monster shark, and one that "could eat you."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dougp
06-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Why?
Because people bitch about when humans are attacked by sharks ... but it's fine for us to do it.

Marklar MM
06-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Because people bitch about when humans are attacked by sharks ... but it's fine for us to do it.

Same for every other animal.

manustarting2gd
06-23-2006, 09:02 PM
Big hammerhead, but it doesn't beat that tiger shark that was caught last july.

Measuring 14 1/2 feet, the mammoth shark tipped the scales at 1,280 pounds-potentially crushing the former record of 991-pounds that has stood since 1982.

Yeah, I still wouldnt f with that tiger shark.. That mouth is frickin huge!

Cant_Be_Faded
06-23-2006, 09:11 PM

:smchode:

Marklar MM
06-23-2006, 09:38 PM
http://www.filmradar.com/shark3.gif

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Well that's good news, I'm going to be in the Keys for five days next week diving :lol

Nesterofish
06-23-2006, 10:29 PM
I would barely be a snack.

ALVAREZ6
06-24-2006, 05:27 PM
I would barely be a snack.
:lol

You nailed it with the blue lips :tu

PakiDan
06-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Man, I'd hate to be pulling that thing onto the boat by its head.

Whoops! There goes my arm! :lol

That is bad ass though.

I'm down Manny.

ShoogarBear
06-25-2006, 12:56 PM
so is this what mouse has been doing in the offseason?Only since June 20th.

SpursWoman
06-25-2006, 01:10 PM

Sharks are pretty tasty....I can't say the same about humans, because I've never tried one.

:fro

AlamoSpursFan
06-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Sharks are pretty tasty....I can't say the same about humans, because I've never tried one.

:fro

Cue Jeffrey Dahmer troll in 5...4...3...2...

:lol

Marklar MM
06-30-2006, 01:51 PM
http://www.wftv.com/news/9451628/detail.html

Record Hammerhead Shark Was Pregnant

POSTED: 7:50 am EDT June 30, 2006
UPDATED: 12:32 pm EDT June 30, 2006

SARASTOA, Fla. -- The likely world-record hammerhead shark caught in May weighed 1,280 pounds because it was pregnant with 55 pups -- the most scientists have ever seen.

SHARK IMAGES: 1,260-Pound, 14-Foot Hammerhead

Scientists at Mote Marine Laboratory, where the shark was taken for a necropsy, said Thursday that 52 were nearly full-term and just a few days from birth. The shark was estimated to be between 40 and 50 years old.

STRANGE PHOTOS
WEIRD! View 99 unusual photos capturing a variety of strange news. New photos are added frequently!
Scientists previously believed that hammerhead sharks gave birth to 20 to 40 pups at a time.

"Although we are thankful that the fisherman gave this unique specimen to Mote, and we are learning a lot about this species from this large female shark, we were saddened to see so many unborn pups inside her so close to birth," said Dr. Robert Hueter, director of Mote's Center for Shark Research.

Not weird enough?
Read more strange news
LOOK! Strange News Photos
"We ask fishermen not to kill sharks for sport and to remember that shark populations have been severely depleted by overfishing. Very large sharks like this hammerhead are often pregnant females that help maintain the status of the species' population into the future. We advocate release of these large sharks and the tagging of them whenever possible."

The shark was caught by Bucky Dennis off Boca Grande on May 23. Dennis struggled for hours to reel in the shark and donated his catch to Mote for study because he didn't have a way to freeze it.

He said he wouldn't have killed it if he didn't think it was bigger than the record 991-pound hammerhead caught in 1982. He said it isn't fair to criticize him because other anglers catch pregnant fish.

"They do it every single day. I just got a lot of attention for it," he said. "I didn't know she was pregnant. All I saw was a big fish."

Whether the 14.5-foot shark is a record catch on rod and reel is still being decided. The International Game Fish Association said a decision will be made sometime in late July.

The shark's carcass couldn't be saved, Mote officials said, so a fiberglass replica will be made and displayed at the facility.

leemajors
06-30-2006, 02:37 PM
jesus. sharks birth live too right?

Marklar MM
06-30-2006, 02:46 PM
jesus. sharks birth live too right?

Some sharks. The majority lay eggs.

leemajors
06-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Some sharks. The majority lay eggs.

just checked, hammerheads birth live. i saw a special on them before too, on how their head is specially adapted to detect electric fields - that's how they find prey. the researchers put a current into a target buried under some sand in a hammerhead tank, and they ignored it. they turned the current on and every hammerhead went right to the target, then when the current was cut off they ignored it again. it was fascinating!

jman3000
06-30-2006, 05:10 PM
trainwreck should post his tunnel pic for that shark.