PDA

View Full Version : Morrison the #1 pick?

mardigan
06-23-2006, 02:12 PM
What do you think, will he be great, marginal, or shit? If he isnt the pick, who should be?

mabber
06-23-2006, 02:18 PM
What do you think, will he be great, marginal, or shit? If he isnt the pick, who should be?

He's not gonna be the #1 pick. He'll be in the top 10. I can't see him getting past Portland though (I forget exactly where they pick).

DarrinS
06-23-2006, 02:20 PM
I think he's gonna suck in the NBA. Hopefully, he'll get picked up by the Mavs.

texlawman
06-23-2006, 02:22 PM
I see him as being a Shane Battier type of player. He does a little of everything above average, but nothing exceptionally well. I think he will be crafty around the basket and he does have a nice jumpshot. Could easily be a 15pt per game scorer. I'm not sure that qualifies as sucking, but he won't be a superstar IMO.

FUCKMARKCUBAN
06-23-2006, 02:22 PM

dont they already got enough sucky players?

NBA Junkie
06-23-2006, 02:23 PM
If you're speaking primarily of guards, I see Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay being chosen before him. Probably even Marcus Williams and Randy Foye as PG's are hard to come by.

texlawman
06-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Um, you carried Beno, Van Exel, a broken down Horry, and an overpaid Rasho on your roster last year. Don't be throwing suck roster stones until you look at your own.

Mavs<Spurs
06-23-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm not sure how well his game will translate into the NBA.

Health issues are a concern, aren't they?

texlawman
06-23-2006, 02:31 PM
He's controlled his diabetes for a long-time so I don't think that's a major concern IMO. I'd be more concerned about his game will translate into the NBA. Still, he's such a pure scorer that he will surely find some kind of niche role at least in the NBA.

mardigan
06-23-2006, 02:33 PM
They say that his diabetes shouldnt be a problem, there have been other guys with it that played for a lond time like Chris Gatling, but if this trade with the Raptors and Pacers goes down, and the Pacers get the 1st pick and lose Peja, I will have a hard time thinking with Larry Bird there that he wont take the second coming of himself. I think once Morrison gets a little quicker, maybe gets some more hops and plays d, he will be great. Bargnini will be great and I really likeCarney, think he will be one of the best rookies this year.

bulletedge
06-23-2006, 05:25 PM

Yep...thats all we need...a player who fell to his stomach in the middle of the court and sobbed after his team lost in the NCAAs.

With the way most of you view the Mavs I can see why you think he would be a perfect fit.

Honestly, I think he will be a bust in the NBA. Then again, I said Larry Bird was too slow and couldn't jump well enough to be worth a shit at the pro level.

JMarkJohns
06-23-2006, 05:32 PM
I think he'll eventually become a quality 17-point per scorer, chipping in a handful of rebounds per game as well.

However, I think he's closer to Hedu than Peja.

He's not Larry Bird. He's not even Wally Szczerbiak.

He'll be a fine player, but will struggle significantly on defense and has limited athleticism. Being that he's used to being THE MAN on his team, can he handle a second or third option role? Can he succeed without having the ball in his hands at all times on offense and when he does have the ball, can he take more athletic SF's off the dribble to create the shot?

bulletedge
06-23-2006, 05:35 PM
I think he'll eventually become a quality 17-point per scorer, chipping in a handful of rebounds per game as well.

However, I think he's closer to Hedu than Peja.

He'll be a fine player, but will struggle significantly on defense and has limited athleticism. Being that he's used to being THE MAN on his team, can he handle a second or third option role? Can he succeed without having the ball in his hands at all times on offense and when he does have the ball, can he take more athletic SF's off the dribble to create the shot?

I think he will struggle on defense and he will have a hard time creating his own shot on the offensive end.

He does play with passion (even if he has some goofy facial expressions) and he might wind up as a decent third option somewhere.

JamStone
06-23-2006, 05:43 PM
Morrison probably won't be chosen first. I think it's between LaMarcus Aldridge and Andrea Bargnani. Even if Toronto trades the #1 pick, it will probably be LaMarcus Aldridge. I think Morrisonis likely a top 5 pick.

I think he will be pretty good in the NBA. The guy scored 30 points a game. Shane Battier never averaged anywhere close to that in college.

He's a natural scorer like Wally Szczerbiak or Rip Hamilton. He just has many ways he can score.

He apparently doesn't have the quickness or athleticism of most small forwards in the league, but I still see him being a very solid player on the next level. In the right system where his potential defensive liabilities are not so much of a problem, I think he could really shine. On the wrong team, he might struggle greatly.

I think he could be somewhat like Mike Miller, but better scorer and not as good at other aspects of the game.

tim_duncan_fan
06-23-2006, 07:40 PM
If some team picks morrison in the first round(and someone will) that team is going to be pissed when they realize that he will be a poor man's Wally Zcerbiack.

mike detroit
06-23-2006, 09:32 PM
he may be the # 1, mostly as a sad testament to how weak this draft is

strangeweather
06-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Wow, that's a ringing endorsement for a top 5 pick: a poor man's Wally Szczerbiak. :lol

strikemode14
06-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Morrison is probaly a top 10 pick which is kinda sad. He isn't very athletic, hasn't shown he is a leader, and doesn't play very good D. He has a letha 3pt jumpshot and is smart but, that about covers it. He will be maybe a nice second option player with a dominant scorer. Maybe a unathletic but, better attitude version of S.Jackson.

JMarkJohns
06-23-2006, 10:29 PM
I'd say he's shown the ability to lead. Don't allow that one game vs. UCLA to make or break your opinion of him.

Mike Miller was a good comparison.

mike detroit
06-23-2006, 11:05 PM
I'd say he's shown the ability to lead. Don't allow that one game vs. UCLA to make or break your opinion of him.

Mike Miller was a good comparison.

I would agree with that, he does seem to be a leader. I'm just really not sure he has NBA talent.

JMarkJohns
06-23-2006, 11:11 PM
Not top-10 talent. Miller, Terkoglu... around that quality of player.

I'd take him top-20, no problem. Maybe even late lottory, if your a good team in need of depth or one final player, but as a building block?

No...

Vinnie_Johnson
06-23-2006, 11:14 PM

I think he can play not a top 5 guy IMO.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-23-2006, 11:54 PM
He'll be a good but not great player. Somewhat a Morris Peterson.

AFE7FATMAN
06-24-2006, 12:00 AM
Morrison probably won't be chosen first. I think it's between LaMarcus Aldridge and Andrea Bargnani. Even if Toronto trades the #1 pick, it will probably be LaMarcus Aldridge. I think Morrisonis likely a top 5 pick.

You are in the right ball park. Morrison goes at # 4.
Bargnani goes at # 1 although I had bet on Aldridge before the Bonner Trade.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2006, 12:09 AM
Morris+Peterson=Morrison

AFE7FATMAN
06-24-2006, 01:07 AM
Morrison will be a starter as a rookie, but he will NEVER be a STAR.
If he is not taken by Portland at the 4 he might just fall out of the top 10.

JMarkJohns
06-24-2006, 01:08 AM
I doubt Portland passes up on that marketing potential...

AFE7FATMAN
06-24-2006, 03:20 AM
You are in the right ball park. Morrison goes at # 4.
Bargnani goes at # 1 although I had bet on Aldridge before the Bonner Trade.

Bargnani and aldridge are locks for 1 & 2 IMO
If the Suns end up with the # 2 Pick by a trade with S Marion
to The Bulls. I think that Bargnani will go to the Suns or Aldridge
just made the SUNS Better if they also get Chandler from the Bulls.

Man the trade talk is beginning to get heavy. I wonder who is going to be picking when, almost as much as who is going to be picked

a side note

Who will MJ take at # 3

mike detroit
06-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Morris+Peterson=Morrison

hahaha nice

ambchang
06-24-2006, 08:28 AM
Yep...thats all we need...a player who fell to his stomach in the middle of the court and sobbed after his team lost in the NCAAs.

With the way most of you view the Mavs I can see why you think he would be a perfect fit.

Honestly, I think he will be a bust in the NBA. Then again, I said Larry Bird was too slow and couldn't jump well enough to be worth a shit at the pro level.
Larry Bird cried after they lost to Magic in the NCAA.
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/SPORTS13/604010487/

That's the funny thing, if you are legend like Larry Bird, you only cried because if you hate losing so much, but if you are a nobody, you are crybaby.

I also find it funny how people who DIRECTLY say that would Larry Bird cry blah blah blah, read up on history, he cried after the most watched basketball game in basketball history.

JamStone
06-24-2006, 11:56 AM
The athleticism argument has some merit, but I don't think it should be considered a deciding factor as to whether Morrison will become a solid or even great player in the league. Adam Morrison will definitely be on the low end of athleticism for an NBA small forward, even more so if he plays shooting guard. But, make no mistake about it, Morrison is a ball player. He has deceptive strength and quickness. And, his shot-making ability is as good as anyone's in this draft. His angles, release points, the use of the glass, fakes, off balanced control all allow him to be a great scoring threat despite his lack of athleticism. Sure, he'll likely struggle defensively, but there are plenty of NBA stars who can't play defense.

And, there are other players who do not have the elite explosion or athleticism who have had plenty of success in the NBA, even in the new NBA. Look how well Andres Nocioni plays based on his toughness, despite his lack of lateral quickness for a perimeter player. Look at how Brad Miller was able to succeed as an undrafted and unathletic center by working on his midrange jumpshot and tough defense. Look at how Chris Webber was still basically able to put up close to 20 and 10 numbers despite playing on one leg, and losing most of his advantages in athleticism, explosion, and mobility. Look at NBA champ Antoine Walker and how he's been able to be a borderline star in this league despite having a vertical leap of 10 inches and carrying 25 pounds of baby fat his entire career. Look at Michael Redd and his slingshot jumper and how he has become a max contract player mostly based on his quick release and accurate jumpshot, despite not having elite athleticism or quickness. If a player's skills can make up for the lack of athleticism, a player can still succeed in the NBA without elite athleticism.

And, on the flipside, look at high-lottery freakish athletes who were thought of to only be a little bit aways from being absolute NBA monster superstars after polishing their skills. Players like Stromile Swift, Darius Miles, Dajuan Wagner, Kwame Brown, Rodney White, Joe Forte, Kedrick Brown, or Reece Gaines.

Don't count Adam Morrison a bust just because he lacks the athletism. And, don't think players like Rodney Carney or Guillermo Diaz are going to be studs in the NBA just because they are freakish athletes.