PDA

View Full Version : Muslims 'Still in Denial' About 9/11

Nbadan
06-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Muslims 'Still in Denial' About 9/11, Pew Survey Finds

PARIS, June 22 — Non-Muslim Westerners and Muslims around the world have widely different views of world events, and each group tends to view the other as violent, intolerant, and lacking in respect for women, a new international survey of more than 14,000 people in 13 nations indicates.

In what the survey, part of the Pew Global Attitudes Project for 2006, called one of its most striking findings, majorities in Egypt, Indonesia, Jordan and Turkey — Muslim countries with fairly strong ties to America — said, for example, that they did not believe that Arabs carried out the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks in the United States. The findings, illustrating the chasm in beliefs, follow another year of violence and tension centered around that divide. In the past 12 months, there have been terrorist bombings in London, riots in France by unemployed youths, many of them Muslim, a global uproar over Danish cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad, and no letup to the war in Iraq.

This led majorities in the United States and in countries in Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East to describe relations between Muslims and people in Western countries as generally bad, Pew found.

Over all, Muslims in the survey worldwide, including the large Islamic populations in Britain, France, Germany and Spain, broadly blamed the West, while Westerners tended to blame Muslims for the bad relations. Muslims in the Middle East and Asia depicted Westerners as immoral and selfish, while Westerners saw Muslims as fanatical.

NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/22/world/europe/22cnd-pew.html)

Some Americans are 'still in denial' about Saddam's non-role in 911 so this seems fair.

ChumpDumper
06-23-2006, 03:43 PM
I heard about that on The World. I was stunned that a majority of those polled in places like Turkey didn't think that Arabs were involved in the 9/11 attacks.

DarkReign
06-23-2006, 03:46 PM
Im not stunned. Stunned was Bush being reelected.

People are ignorant, regardless of creed or color. As dependable as death and taxes.

xrayzebra
06-24-2006, 09:21 AM
verdad

claro que si

of course, these problems could have been averted if bush would have called a conference of world (i.e. 'western', 'muslim' and 'other') leaders and discussed what led up to 9/11 before pulling out his six shooter

You mean like him and Fox getting together about immigration. We got
no problems there, right.

Corrupt governments are corrupt governments. And every government in
the ME is corrupt, just like Mexico's is and will be for the foreseeable future.

I always laughed when people used to use Mexico as an example of how
safe their streets were in comparison to ours. Wonder if those same
people would feel safe in Mexico right now.

How a governments robbed it's people to poverty. Prime of example of
how not to run a country. Mexico.

Talking to governments that really have no legitimacy does no good.
We maybe could buy them off, which we did with Iran for years, till
Carter stopped it. And you see what that got us.

fyatuk
06-24-2006, 09:42 AM
I heard about that on The World. I was stunned that a majority of those polled in places like Turkey didn't think that Arabs were involved in the 9/11 attacks.

Why would that suprise you when the leaders of most Arab nations will tell you they don't think the Holocaust happened at all?

Most Americans don't believe the Arab hatred of the US is justified either, but it is quite understandable.