PDA

View Full Version : Scola Interview

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Taken by the Spurs in the second round of the 2002 draft, Argentinean Luis Scola has continued to ready himself for bigger things by starring for Tau Ceramica in Spain, but his perspective has changed.

Recognized as one of the best players on one of the best team in the Spanish league, Manu Ginobili's good friend and once roomate has already won several World and European Championships, varied MVP awards and more, but it seems that hasn't brought him any closer to his long time dream of playing in the NBA.

In the past, the frustration of not being able to buy his way out of his Spanish team's contract kept him from the NBA.

Is a surprising lack of communication from the San Antonio Spurs (the team that owns his NBA rights) now going to come into play?

After his team's very recent loss in the ACB league championship to their rival Malaga’s basketball team- who just toppedd them 3-0 in the best of five play-off finals in Spain on Wednesday evening, Scola is pensive and reflective about his basketball future.

"To this day I haven't heard anything from San Antonio," said Scola during an interview with Spanish news' El Correo Digital. "I haven't given it much thought, though, since my mind has been completely focused on the finals. Until the final game, my head was completely in what was going on in those games."

Scola may now be forced to put some heavy thoughts about his baskeball future since Tau, the team he is captain of, is on the verge of offering a contract extension.

Should he continue to wait and see if he can finally taste the glory of the NBA, or continue with the Spanish team whose fans adore him?

"I'll start to analyze things a bit and make a decision," says Scola. "It was a very long season. It's time to relax a bit and spend some time with my family."

Scola, however, admits that his perspective on the NBA has changed. "Honestly, I don't know. Everything is so secretive there," says Scola while recognizing that he isn't getting any younger.

"I don't feel like a veteran player. I don't feel old, I'm only 26, but I've been playing a long time and it's not the same as it was five or six years ago in the sense that one starts changing the way one feels and thinks. Back then I was a bit desperate for any news about where I might be playing. I'd be on the phone calling everywhere, looking for any news that I could find on the internet... (Now my perspective is that) if any NBA team really wants me, i'll sit down and think about it at that time, if not, things won't change. I'm very happy playing here and I'm going to continue to better myself, win titles and try to give back so many of the wonderful moments of joy that this team has given me. Thinga aren't like they used to be. Things used to be only about me, but now I have a family to think about."

On draft night in 2002, Scola was extremely dissapointed after not being taken in the first-round by any NBA team including the Suns who had taken tremendous interest in him and worked him out privately. He was so dissapointed and depressed that he went to bed- only to hear later that the Spurs had selected him in the second round. For more better than worse, he's been stuck playing in Europe since.

"The intensity and how I handled those frustrations has changed," said Scola. "I've been living (the dream of coming to the NBA) for eight years and it was something that had been proposed since I was 14 years old. Some times I'm made to feel as if it would be dishonorable to stay and play here, but I think that is very unfair. Sure, I've always said that I would love to play in the NBA because I'd be playing among the best, and whether we like it or not, the NBA is the best league in the world. I still aspire to play there, but being and playing here is also a tremendous opportunity and it brings me great joy."

Which is good since according to some, the Spurs will finally trade his rights to another team which in turn may find a way to finally bring him to the NBA.

The clock is ticking, but Scola says he has learned to take it all in stride.

"For the time being, I have two years remaining on my current contract and I'm happy."

-SpursReport.com

exstatic
06-23-2006, 08:41 PM
-SpursReport.com
Consider the source, or lack thereof.

Kori Ellis
06-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Did they just copy the interview from the other paper and call it their own?

Same interview is in this thread.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44641

Mr. Body
06-23-2006, 08:59 PM
I know this is fairly taboo, but what the hell caused the split between the sites in the first place? I'd long been a member of SR - for years - and didn't even realize anything had happened until about a year ago.

Kori Ellis
06-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Nutshell synopsis (and no one else needs to throw in their 2cents): I was a mod and writer there. LJ and I got banned in January 2003 for someone's personal reasons that were never fully explained to us (nothing to do with the forum). At the time I was press credentialed thru them (they were affiliated with WOAIl).

After a few months, LJ and I decided to start this forum (but it was on ezboard then). About a year later, WOAI discontinued their relationship with SpursReport. I started working for WOAI again (but this forum is still independent from WOAI). And SpursReport lost their press credentials about a year and a half ago.

I have no ill feelings toward anyone there. Some of their mods post here everyday under aliases.

ChumpDumper
06-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Did they just copy the interview from the other paper and call it their own?

Same interview is in this thread.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44641They did credit El Correo Digital in the atricle, but I guess using it as a headline could be misleading.

Kori Ellis
06-23-2006, 09:07 PM
They did credit El Correo Digital in the atricle, but I guess using it as a headline could be misleading.

Yeah I saw that after I posted.

Mr. Body
06-23-2006, 09:12 PM
I have no ill feelings toward anyone there. Some of their mods post here everyday under aliases.

Thanks for the capsule history. It was odd that names I remembered there suddenly disappeared (including you), but I didn't notice right away. And I figure there's some overlap between the boards with aliases. You'll see the exact same post pop up at almost the same exact time. Kinda funny.

Kori Ellis
06-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the capsule history. It was odd that names I remembered there suddenly disappeared (including you), but I didn't notice right away. And I figure there's some overlap between the boards with aliases. You'll see the exact same post pop up at almost the same exact time. Kinda funny.

LJ was one of the original members of SpursReport back when you had to email in your posts and then they would get posted. It was just LJ, Marcus Bryant AKA Spursfan, GhostWriter and a couple others. This was in about 1997. I didn't post there until 2001.

Kori Ellis
06-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Okay why are you guys hating on spurs report?? They are spurs fans just like you whats with the hatred of that message board??Guys like Amente have inside sources on shit that goes on with the Spurs and other guys like DizzG are cool to chat with. Why do you guys hate them so much what did they ever to do you?

:wtf Who was hating on them?

SPARKY
06-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Okay why are you guys hating on spurs report?? They are spurs fans just like you whats with the hatred of that message board??Guys like Amente have inside sources on shit that goes on with the Spurs and other guys like DizzG are cool to chat with. Why do you guys hate them so much what did they ever to do you?

exstatic
06-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Amente's inside sources must come complete with toilet paper. They're not even press credentialed.

As for the hard feelings? Try to post something like this about us in their forum. The post will disappear faster than a fart in the wind.

Kori did say her's was the "nutshell" version. Factually correct, but spare on details. A lot more shit went on that she would probably prefer not to discuss with those she hasn't discussed it with already. Suffice to say that it was not nice, and endeared no one here with the powers that be over there. Leave it be.

rayray2k8
06-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Nutshell synopsis (and no one else needs to throw in their 2cents): I was a mod and writer there. LJ and I got banned in January 2003 for someone's personal reasons that were never fully explained to us (nothing to do with the forum). At the time I was press credentialed thru them (they were affiliated with WOAIl).

After a few months, LJ and I decided to start this forum (but it was on ezboard then). About a year later, WOAI discontinued their relationship with SpursReport. I started working for WOAI again (but this forum is still independent from WOAI). And SpursReport lost their press credentials about a year and a half ago.

That explains why Im already banned from there.
Probably one of them saw what it said in my sig and gave me an IP Ban.
Like I give a fuck. :lol
This site is MUCH better compared to their crappy site.
Everyone left there. Even MOUSE came here.
(Hope he comes back though, dont feel right without him) :depressed

Hoy
06-24-2006, 01:32 AM

I've had unsettling experience with SR.

I've posted one message (My first or third message) stating that Tim Duncan can no longer play power forward against swifter power forwards, and that -I've theorized - is the genesis of sudden emergence of Spurs' small ball. The sudden devolution of Tim's outside game made small ball a necessity.
He lost foot speed along the way, like the way he lost his free throw and now his bankshot, and maybe his jumpers is doing the same vanishing act. This forced Pop to move Tim to Center position and suddenly there is no place for Nazr nor Rasho in the line up. Add the new rule change and our centers are really too slow. Hence the evolution (devolution?) of small ball.

After that posting, I can no longer log on to the SR.

ChumpDumper
06-24-2006, 02:46 AM
Sorry dude. I said that sucked and probably got you banned.

Such is my power spanning multiple boards.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-24-2006, 02:53 AM
SpursReport sucks.

Some of the mods are just terrible and ruin the experience with pointless bannings. I didn't even realize this site was created because of a rift with them but good. I hope SR goes bankrupt, or whatever it's called when a site shuts down.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-24-2006, 02:55 AM
What ever happened to cyber bob? :D

Kori Ellis
06-24-2006, 02:56 AM
What do you mean what happened to Cyber Bob? He still works at WOAI. I'm good friends with him, he comes to our GTG's sometimes.

By the way, this wasn't supposed to be a bash SR thread, so everyone please refrain. This thread is about Scola.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-24-2006, 02:58 AM
What do you mean what happened to Cyber Bob? He still works at WOAI. I'm good friends with him, he comes to our GTG's sometimes.

By the way, this wasn't supposed to be a bash SR thread, so everyone please refrain. This thread is about Scola.

Oh ya? Cool. I was just wondering, haven't seen that name pop up in a while now.

As for bashing SR, it's not the intentino of this thread...but many people have many a thing to say about that site. Hardly any of it is nice. I don't remember the name of the mod for the cantina, but girl is a complete cunt.

MannyIsGod
06-24-2006, 04:12 AM
Cyber Bob is a poker genius.

AFE7FATMAN
06-24-2006, 04:20 AM
Scola is not coming, Take it to the bank. His rights will be traded as long as RC has a breath and is allowed to make decisions.
Please Book Mark this so I can say TOLD YOU
when it happens.

NO Manny, Cyber Bob is not a Poker genius He is just a better player than U

and I dont have any Bookie cash because I bet on football.lol

v2freak
06-24-2006, 10:20 AM
I didn't really like SR either. I was pretty obnoxious during my stay there, but people there are so eager to be politically incorrect that no one ends up saying what they're thinking.

My question is, how much can a player's rights be worth? Like everyone says, the Spurs are way ahead of everyone else in drafting talent from overseas. This could go two ways, as far as I know: a team assumes the Spurs have picked a great player and will want to trade for him, or they will scratch their heads, wondering "who's Luis Scola?"

gameFACE
06-24-2006, 11:10 AM
The ALE (Argentinian League Exception) clearly states that only two are allowed. Scola couldn't come anyway.

It is funny. It was the same for me. I lurked there at the same time and registered as PokerFace21. I noticed a drop in the humor. I rarely go there because I relate more to the humor and bipolar conditions here at ST. I also post at SC but i'm not an everyday poster at either place.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-24-2006, 11:11 AM
I didn't really like SR either. I was pretty obnoxious during my stay there, but people there are so eager to be politically incorrect that no one ends up saying what they're thinking.

My question is, how much can a player's rights be worth? Like everyone says, the Spurs are way ahead of everyone else in drafting talent from overseas. This could go two ways, as far as I know: a team assumes the Spurs have picked a great player and will want to trade for him, or they will scratch their heads, wondering "who's Luis Scola?"

I don't think there's any doubt people know who he is...

The question is if he's worth the money.

Mr. Body
06-24-2006, 11:14 AM
I got banned from SR once for saying (in the Cantina) that Bush wasn't a god, wasn't selected to be our leader by Jesus, and might be one of the worst presidents we've ever had. This was 2004. I don't care if I was wrong, banning for that is stupid.

Oh yeah: Scola is the best!!

shaggy17
06-24-2006, 05:20 PM
SpursReport sucks.

Some of the mods are just terrible and ruin the experience with pointless bannings. I didn't even realize this site was created because of a rift with them but good. I hope SR goes bankrupt, or whatever it's called when a site shuts down.

:tu :tu Agreed 100%. That POS site banned me for me being critical on small ball (I didnt agree with it but that was my view) and being sarcastic/joking that the spurs were "done"... :rolleyes I hate how they will delete your posts at times if you keep your debate going with another fan its just bullshit. Well :flipoff Spursreport they can blow me!!!.

Onto topic I didnt expect us to ever land scola so it is time to go in different directions that I know we will do. Nice to be at another and hopefully (greatly optimistic from what I have seen here) a better spurs board!!