PDA

View Full Version : Now That Scola's Out Of The Picture

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2006, 09:25 AM
What changes are y'all making to your idea of next year's roster?

Kori Ellis
06-24-2006, 09:29 AM
Scola was never on my projected roster, so no changes :lol

I think the Spurs need to sign/trade Nazr for another big. And then pickup a backup PG with the rest of the MLE (assuming some of it is going to Javtokas). If a sign/trade doesn't work out, then continue to shop Barry/Oberto/whoever to try to find another big. Then fill out their roster with young athletes.

The Spurs just need tweaks, not an overhaul. But I think one more trade is coming and I definitely think another big man will be necessary. I don't like the idea of starting Javtokas or Bonner from the get-go.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Who do you have in mind?

Kori Ellis
06-24-2006, 09:36 AM
For big men?

I honestly don't know who is realistic. Troy Murphy would be good but I think the Warriors are looking to trade him for an expiring contract. I think the Spurs might still have some interest in Ely (they have liked him in the past). CWilcox is worth looking at, but he is restricted and wants $10M/year. I hope the Spurs don't consider Radmanovic. Reggie Evans might fit the rebounding needs but he reportedly wants to go to NY. I'm not sure if the Spurs would look at Nene. It will probably end up being someone I would never guess.

For a point guard?

Speedy would be nice, but I think he'll get more money than the Spurs can afford.

Doc Jerome
06-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Definately, one more trade is in order. Perhaps Scola's rights with another player for a long 3. Or maybe something unexpected, Nazr and Scola for a bonafide quality guy.

No? We can always hope.

redskinfan
06-24-2006, 10:13 AM
I got it we trade Barry rights to Scola to Indiana for Foster and first round pick. What do you think. Maybe they throw in jasekevicious or how ever you spell it

Darkwaters
06-24-2006, 10:19 AM
I got it we trade Barry rights to Scola to Indiana for Foster and first round pick. What do you think. Maybe they throw in jasekevicious or how ever you spell it

Saras would be a great pickup. Sarunas Jasikevicius is a quality PG for certain. Hes a bit more of a playmaker than Tony, which is what I think the Spurs need.

But, Indiana likes him after last season. Tinsley was hurt a lot and Saras ran their system.

picnroll
06-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Sarunas must have been running their system from the bench.

SPARKY
06-24-2006, 10:29 AM
I never had Scola in my offseason picture. I have wondered if not bringing him in is the correct call. We'll see.

The Spurs now have the draft rights to a polished scoring bigman on the trade block. That should get them something respectable back, perhaps a mid-teens pick in this year's draft.

Russ
06-24-2006, 10:31 AM
How about Leon Powe? The mock drafts have him falling almost down to the Spurs' #59 position -- he looks like a great bargain there.

He might be able to guard Nowitski (unlike Scola) and also give the Spurs some offense down low -- a difficult combo to find.

Although he's had some knee problems, he's played great lately. I would have thought he'd be projected much higher in the drafts.

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/leonpowe.asp

Bruno
06-24-2006, 10:42 AM
How about Leon Powe? The mock drafts have him falling almost down to the Spurs' #59 position -- he looks like a great bargain there.

Why not, but with a pick around 40th and I think we can get something better than the 40th pick with Scola.
We can get a pick around 40th for something like future second round pick(s). Teams like Utah or Minessota have 2 second round pick this year and can trade one of them.
You should consider too that we still have Bonner, Horry and either Duncan or a starting PF (via trade) at the PF spot.

The guy, I'd like to draft if we trade Scola's rights is Thabo Sefolosha. I haven't seem him play but his profile is quite interesting.

FromWayDowntown
06-24-2006, 10:42 AM
What intrigues me is that the Spurs have actually created a means to make these tweaks without having to divide up the MLE to address several needs. The willingness to deal Scola gives them a chip that has to be somewhat intriguing to teams that are in a rebuilding mode and have some time to be patient.

The Spurs certainly seem to have at least 1 more trade coming, which will get one of the needs solved -- I guess the particular need that will be addressed by the trade will depend on what they can ship out. If you could put together a deal that involved trading Nazr and Scola's rights and even Barry, you could bring back a pretty significant salary (and, ostensibly, a pretty good player). That would still leave you with most (if not all) of the MLE to get one more piece and finish off what would seem to be a pretty solid summer.

Even if you can't package Nazr, you can likely get something decent for him and make another deal to ship out Scola's rights for still another piece.

SPARKY
06-24-2006, 10:45 AM
What intrigues me is that the Spurs have actually created a means to make these tweaks without having to divide up the MLE to address several needs. The willingness to deal Scola gives them a chip that has to be somewhat intriguing to teams that are in a rebuilding mode and have some time to be patient.

The Spurs certainly seem to have at least 1 more trade coming, which will get one of the needs solved -- I guess the particular need that will be addressed by the trade will depend on what they can ship out. If you could put together a deal that involved trading Nazr and Scola's rights and even Barry, you could bring back a pretty significant salary (and, ostensibly, a pretty good player). That would still leave you with most (if not all) of the MLE to get one more piece and finish off what would seem to be a pretty solid summer.

Even if you can't package Nazr, you can likely get something decent for him and make another deal to ship out Scola's rights for still another piece.

They have a variety of means to make changes this offseason:

-LLE (seems slated for Javtokas)
-MLE
-Nazr
-Scola's rights
-Williams' expiring contract
-Barry
-Beno
-Oberto
-future picks (including the Hornets' 2009 2nd rounder)

With Radoslav's contract off the books, the Spurs are poised to make some noise via trade and/or free agency.

gameFACE
06-24-2006, 10:46 AM
I never quite thought that Scola was what the Spurs needed. Robert Horry exposed what was needed and that's a versatile PF. Scola has no outside game. Hence, Bonner in addition to Oberto.

What about Qyntel Woods for SF? Yes he has some baggage (poor doggie's) but he's versatile.

I know some of the "Spurs as boy scouts" fans don't like the idea but the front office had interest in him before. Maybe he's reformed. Maybe he's a card carying Christian now. :angel

picnroll
06-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Wood's is my hope at long three. He's far better, more game ready than either JR Smith, Ariza, more verstaile than just about anyone else the Spurs can get. He had some stellar moments of play on the floor for the Knicks and I think in the right environment he could blow up.

Slinkyman
06-24-2006, 11:06 AM
I would have no problem with Woods but i don't know if he's any good, but i'm sure if Pop wanted him he could just call LB and get his opinion of the kid.

As far as a starter, i think we need a big that's athletic, quick and can shoot. Someone that if teams double Tim he can hit the open jumper and at the same time get his own shot while Tim is on the bench.

theroc5
06-24-2006, 11:12 AM
i say we do a sign and trade with nazr and throw in scolas draft rights for chandler and the bulls 16th pick...if we have to throw in barry then well we can do that to.
that way it fills the voice of a rebounder and we can draft an athletic sf aka bowens replacement

parker/beno/williams
manu/finely
bowen/16th pick/bonner
duncan/bonner/oberto
chandler/jav./bonner

we would still have some mle left over as well. i would love if our off season went something like this!

gameFACE
06-24-2006, 11:15 AM
I would prefer the Spurs get a long 3 that already has NBA experience.

Mr. Body
06-24-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm finally not seeing Scola as a Spur. It's taken a while, but I now accept the rift is too great for parties involved.

The problem the Spurs have is that their better assets at this point - Scola's rights, a S&T for Nazr - won't go to teams that already have surplus post presences to give back. Everything else is so damn expensive. I really have no idea how the Spurs make up for a shallow post corps.

However, I think Scola can be used to get the #16 from Chicago. The Bulls have so many wings and perimeter players that, if they know they can bring him over, they'd take a low-risk flyer on him. They've had good experience with Nocioni, of course, and they aren't as defensively based as we are - a talented inside scorer could be valuable to them. With the #16 the Spurs can pick up Thabo Sefolosha or even Ronnie Brewer, if he drops. Not bad parleying a late 2nd rounder for a near-lottery pick.

From the Spurs' perspective, this is fair value. Don't know if Chicago jumps for it, but there have to be similar trades out there.

I think SA can get their SF of the future out of this draft/offseason, but their posts look awfully thin.

whottt
06-24-2006, 11:34 AM
FWDT and MB...

Don't forget that Barry pretty much has an expiring contract since the final year is a team option. They basically have @9 million in expiring contracts. More if you include Bonner's deal.

They've also got more than just two highly touted prospects in Europe...don't forget, we could still trade Mahnimi as well.

The Spurs have the pieces to pull off a pretty nice deal here.

But I am not to happy about this Scola news...it signifigantly reduces the Spurs chances of getting much back in trade for Scola exactly like it did with Giricek...remember we had to give Giricek away for basically nothing.

ducks
06-24-2006, 11:34 AM
I heard rumors Javtokas got a 3 year deal
what I understand the lle can not have 3 year deal

who knows if that is true
I think he is getting paid lle money though

Darkwaters
06-24-2006, 11:35 AM
The Spurs could probably wrestle the 10 pick away from Seattle. They apparently don't want to pay for a 1st round contract that has to be guaranteed. They want a future 1st round pick and a 2nd rounder this season in exchange for their #10. Word is that they're so strapped for cash they can't even afford to hire another assistant coach. Then you could either take Thabo or Brewer.

But do you want to pay the contract?

Bruno
06-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Don't forget that Barry pretty much has an expiring contract since the final year is a team option.

Are you sure of that ?

Bruno
06-24-2006, 11:40 AM
The Spurs could probably wrestle the 10 pick away from Seattle. They apparently don't want to pay for a 1st round contract that has to be guaranteed.

Sure, They will save money by paying $3-4M per year for Scola.

Mr. Body
06-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Pay the contract? How much is the rate for a #10? Brewer would give a pretty amazing dimension to the Spurs. I can't imagine Seattle couldn't get a better deal somewhere for a pick that high. I can't imagine the Spurs would say No to Ronnie Brewer or Thabo Sefolosha - either one. (The question is, which is better?)

As whottt says, Scola's statements are troubling. I don't know whether the FO is leaving him and his agent high and dry, but the threats to sign a long extension with TAU can't sound good to prospective trade partners.

whottt
06-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Are you sure of that ?

Pretty sure...he had a 4 year deal with a team option on the 4th year. That was what the papers said when they signed him.

Mr. Body
06-24-2006, 11:42 AM
I believe Barry's contract is guaranteed through 2007/2008, via hoopshype.

Darkwaters
06-24-2006, 11:44 AM
I thought that the top 10 got pretty good contracts, but maybe it's just the top 5. Now that I think about it though, it'd probably be around 2M (just guessing). So no, not such a big deal.

The only issue I have is offense with both of these guys. While Thabo is very raw, I think he just needs polish and work and he could become reliable. Brewer on the other hand had a childhood accident that won't allow him to fully extend his left elbow. That makes for one nasty shot. Brewer basically is a transition scorer from what I've seen...and the Spurs are not a transition team.

picnroll
06-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Both Hoopshype and Patricia's show no team option on Barry

whottt
06-24-2006, 11:48 AM
I believe Barry's contract is guaranteed through 2007/2008, via hoopshype.

They might be right, because damned if I can find any statement to back that team option thing up now...but correctly guessing who has option years isn't exactly the speciality of Hoopshype.

They didn't have Ferry down with a team option...

whottt
06-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Both Hoopshype and Patricia's show no team option on Barry

Yeah I can't find any mention of it anywhere either...and that's really interesting, because I know that was stated quite a bit when we signed him originally. 3 Years with a team option on the 4th...

Mr. Body
06-24-2006, 11:52 AM
I thought that the top 10 got pretty good contracts, but maybe it's just the top 5. Now that I think about it though, it'd probably be around 2M (just guessing). So no, not such a big deal.

The only issue I have is offense with both of these guys. While Thabo is very raw, I think he just needs polish and work and he could become reliable. Brewer on the other hand had a childhood accident that won't allow him to fully extend his left elbow. That makes for one nasty shot. Brewer basically is a transition scorer from what I've seen...and the Spurs are not a transition team.

They both have reputations as decent to good defenders with - as you said - weaker offensive games. Would Brewer's tricept bone affect three point shots?

The appeal of both is their all-around game. They'll fill the stat sheets, can handle the ball, pass, rebound, etc. They'd give a third dimension to the perimeter that Bowen isn't able to provide.

clubalien
06-24-2006, 11:53 AM
FWDT and MB...

don't forget, we could still trade Mahnimi as well.

excuse me you DON'T trade away your future. SUPER star quality big man just don't grow on trees. Sure we have been lucky to have David , tim and finally Ian. I can see trading manu and trying to upgrade to a better player. But ian is going to be one of the best big man that will take over when tim retires. Unless we get jordan in his prime, there is no reason to give away your future. No tractor traylor for dirk trades!

whottt
06-24-2006, 11:58 AM
excuse me you DON'T trade away your future.

You do when you have Tim Duncan and a team that is capable of winning titles with the right pieces around him.

SUPER star quality big man just don't grow on trees. Sure we have been lucky to have David , tim and finally Ian. I can see trading manu and trying to upgrade to a better player. But ian is going to be one of the best big man that will take over when tim retires. Unless we get jordan in his prime, there is no reason to give away your future. No tractor traylor for dirk trades!

I like Mahinimi too...but there's no gurantee he is going to be a Superstar...

I think he's a tradeable, for the right player.

ducks
06-24-2006, 11:59 AM
But ian is going to be one of the best big man that will take over when tim retires.

whoa I hope so but nothing I have seen thinks he is a lock for that

SPARKY
06-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Reading between the lines, the Spurs are comfortable with letting Scola, a guy who will average about 13 and 6 a night in the NBA, go in a trade this summer. Why?

Mahinmi.

Russ
06-24-2006, 12:06 PM
You do when you have Tim Duncan and a team that is capable of winning titles with the right pieces around him.

I like Mahinimi too...but there's no gurantee he is going to be a Superstar...

I think he's a tradeable, for the right player.
Just have your cake and eat it too. Bring Mahinmi in now and let him and Duncan play together.

The Spurs clearly have a very high opinion of either Javtokas or Mahinmi or both based on the moves they've made up to now. Rasho -- gone. Nazr -- gone. Scola -- gone.

All right, all right -- Mahinmi probably has nothing to do with that -- it's Javtokas. But I like 'em both and the Spurs have a habit of choosing the right players when crunch time comes. '02 -- Ginobili over Giricek (a no-brainer now but some here wanted Giricek)

'06 -- Javtokas over Scola. Looks good to me.

clubalien
06-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Javtokas is definetly better than scola
I am still predicting with this current line up with will not have as many wins this upcoming season. Now when we make this predicted blockbuster trade I will have to rethink our season.

whottt
06-24-2006, 12:15 PM
All I know is that if Utah offers Kirilenko or something like that for something like Scola, Mahnimi, Williams and Barry...I'll be helping Ian back his bags.

whottt
06-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Reading between the lines, the Spurs are comfortable with letting Scola, a guy who will average about 13 and 6 a night in the NBA, go in a trade this summer. Why?

Mahinmi.

Could be that...could also be that Scola's been nothing but an illtemempered tool since the day the Spurs drafted him....and he seems to choke in big games in Europe...unlike Manu and Javtokas.

SPARKY
06-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Could be that...could also be that Scola's been nothing but an illtemempered tool since the day the Spurs drafted him....and he seems to choke in big games in Europe...unlike Manu and Javtokas.

I don't think that matters. They have an idea of what he can do in the L vis a vis Javtokas and Mahinmi. The latter fit the style of game the Spurs want to play going forward. The Spurs seem to be moving away from the Cold War style of halfcourt basketball and moving towards the open court perimeter oriented style. Sure, they'll probably sock a big oaf on IR to foul Shaq 6 times a night if needed but it's clear what's going on.

whottt
06-24-2006, 12:35 PM
I don't think that matters. They have an idea of what he can do in the L vis a vis Javtokas and Mahinmi. The latter fit the style of game the Spurs want to play going forward. The Spurs seem to be moving away from the Cold War style of halfcourt basketball and moving towards the open court perimeter oriented style. Sure, they'll probably sock a big oaf on IR to foul Shaq 6 times a night if needed but it's clear what's going on.

Interesting theory...but IMO, if the Spurs wanted to move towards an opencourt style game, they'd be bringing over Scola(who's ability to finish at the basket is his best attribute) and not Javtokas.

And I kind of hope you are wrong...once again, a half court team is the NBA champion, and open court teams not run by Magic Johnson are still ringless.

I think what the Spurs are seeking is the ability to match up better defensively with opencourt teams...not necessarily become one.

Open court Spurs can't even beat the Mavs.

SPARKY
06-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Interesting theory...but IMO, if the Spurs wanted to move towards an opencourt style game, they'd be bringing over Scola(who's ability to finish at the basket is his best attribute) and not Javtokas.

And I kind of hope you are wrong...once again, a half court team is the NBA champion, and open court teams not run by Magic Johnson are still ringless.

Open court Spurs can't even beat the Mavs.

With Nesterovic and Mohammed out at the 5 you need Javtokas, who certainly fits an open court style.

ducks
06-24-2006, 12:39 PM
could scola land bulls 16 pick?

Mr. Body
06-24-2006, 12:40 PM
could scola land bulls 16 pick?

At this point I (who am no one) am betting it can.

And it will.

ducks
06-24-2006, 12:45 PM
16 pick who do the spurs pick?

SPARKY
06-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Chicago should have faith in Argies and Scola gives them a guy who can contribute today and help them improve their playoff performance. Spurs can wait on a prospect to develop. Nice deal for both clubs.

Leetonidas
06-24-2006, 12:46 PM
i say we do a sign and trade with nazr and throw in scolas draft rights for chandler and the bulls 16th pick...if we have to throw in barry then well we can do that to.
that way it fills the voice of a rebounder and we can draft an athletic sf aka bowens replacement

parker/beno/williams
manu/finely
bowen/16th pick/bonner
duncan/bonner/oberto
chandler/jav./bonner

we would still have some mle left over as well. i would love if our off season went something like this!

Not going to happen. The Spurs don't need Chandler...however, I can see a trade for the 16th pick involving Scola.

ducks
06-24-2006, 12:56 PM
scola could be cheaper then nazr also

bulls need big

rumor also has it nuggets are thinking of offering camby for the bulls 16 pick

bigdog
06-24-2006, 12:59 PM
the scola for the bull's 16th pick actually sounds good, and likely to happen if the team thinks about it. spurs could probably still find a very good player at that spot, and could be willing to let him develop for a year or two before giving him heavy minutes,because the spurs are still a deep team, and the bulls will get someone that could help them out alot.

SenorSpur
06-24-2006, 01:00 PM
I'd love to see the Spurs attempt to use Scola's rights as bait to move into the 1st round of the draft. I don't know what else it would take to do that though.

SPARKY
06-24-2006, 01:03 PM
I'd love to see the Spurs attempt to use Scola's rights as bait to move into the 1st round of the draft. I don't know what else it would take to do that though.

It shouldn't take anything else. If the Spurs find themselves interested in two prospects, there's also Beno...

Mr. Body
06-24-2006, 01:03 PM
16 pick who do the spurs pick?

It's been batted around on other threads, but it's either Ronnie Brewer if he drops or Thabo Sefolosha.

ducks
06-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Thabo Sefolosha just has a 500k buyot from I have heard

ducks
06-24-2006, 01:06 PM
thanks mr body

SenorSpur
06-24-2006, 01:07 PM
It shouldn't take anything else. If the Spurs find themselves interested in two prospects, there's also Beno...

Perhaps a team like Chicago or New Jersey, with two picks in the 1st round, would be a willing trade partner.

SA210
06-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Look, whatever we do, package Stan Kelly and send him away with whomever we are trading.

Just do it once and for all.

FromWayDowntown
06-24-2006, 04:05 PM
To go backwards a bit -- I've also seen Barry's deal as one that expires in 08, not in 07. If there's a team option, all the better in terms of making deals.

I think there's a difference, too, with Scola as opposed to the situation with Giricek. Giricek is a dime-a-dozen sort of guard who was never seen as being anything other than that. As such, it stood to reason that putting him on the market would only draw marginal interest and the smallest compensation in a trade. I think Scola is a very different chip, if only because he's been widely regarded as being a lottery-quality player had he been draft eligible. He's got a pretty solid resume at this point -- a resume (in Europe and in international competition) that is much more impressive than Giricek's was when he was entering the league -- which makes him something other than a dime-a-dozen type. Even if recent statements might cut against the Spurs' bargaining position, the likelihood that several teams might be interested in Scola and bargaining against each other should offset that -- at least to some degree.

texasqb2
06-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Kori suggested Troy Murphy....I'd be jumping up and down for three days straight if we got our hands on that guy.

Mr. Body
06-25-2006, 02:43 AM
Kori suggested Troy Murphy....I'd be jumping up and down for three days straight if we got our hands on that guy.

The problem is his salary, which is horrid. Long running, into 2011 or so, $8-11 a year.

Quasar
06-25-2006, 04:08 AM
I seem to have missed the thread that said Scola is out of the picture.

Can I get link? Thanks!

Kori Ellis
06-25-2006, 04:10 AM
Apparently the Spurs told him they are trying to trade his rights.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44718

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Scola was never on my projected roster, so no changes :lol

I think the Spurs need to sign/trade Nazr for another big. And then pickup a backup PG with the rest of the MLE (assuming some of it is going to Javtokas). If a sign/trade doesn't work out, then continue to shop Barry/Oberto/whoever to try to find another big. Then fill out their roster with young athletes.

The Spurs just need tweaks, not an overhaul. But I think one more trade is coming and I definitely think another big man will be necessary. I don't like the idea of starting Javtokas or Bonner from the get-go.

who could we get for Nazr that's actually good?