PDA

View Full Version : And at No. 17, Pacers take . . .

ducks
06-24-2006, 12:14 PM
And at No. 17, Pacers take . . .
Bird claims to have a player in mind to draft, but he isn't naming names
By Mike Wells
[email protected]
June 24, 2006

Larry Bird has a player in mind whom he hopes will still be available when the Indiana Pacers pick at No. 17 in Wednesday's NBA draft.
"I'll be happy if my man falls to us," the Pacers president said Friday. "I know he's a very talented young man. He could get taken up there pretty high, or he could be at 17."
What position does he play?
"He's a basketball player," Bird said, laughing.
What's impressive about him?
"His ability."
What does he do best?
"A little bit of everything."
Bird said he hasn't told CEO Donnie Walsh or any of the scouts who this mystery player is. The Pacers also have the 45th pick in the second round. The draft will be the first of what could be many steps the Pacers will take this summer as they try to return to their former status as an Eastern Conference contender.
"It's just according to who falls to us, really," Bird said. ". . . We'll just see how it develops. We sort of know the group of guys that are coming to us, unless somebody falls and we like them better. It'll be up to us to take the best player available."
Bird said he has no interest in trading to move up in the draft.
Two areas the Pacers are expected to look at are shooting guard and the frontcourt. Bird didn't rule out picking a point guard -- even though the Pacers have three under contract -- if that player is "better than what we think we have."
The Pacers' past three first-round picks -- Danny Granger, David Harrison and Fred Jones -- all had at least three years of college experience. That trend will likely continue, Bird said.

Carlisle contract update
Bird said he's had conversations with Rick Carlisle about the coach's contract, but the subject has been put aside for the time being.
Carlisle is entering the final season of his four-year deal. He has a 146-100 record in three seasons, but there have been grumblings about how he couldn't keep the team together during the recent 41-41 campaign.
"We're going to be talking this summer and see what happens," Bird said. "I'm sure he would like his extension. It's not that we're not going to give it to him; it's that we have to sit down with our owners and see what direction we want to go."

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=20060624&Category=SPORTS04&ArtNo=606240468&SectionCat=&Template=printart

JMarkJohns
06-24-2006, 03:02 PM
They NEED a PG. I figure if Rondo or Lowry is available, Larry will look long and hard at either. I figure Redick could be another possibility.