PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On Preseason Game One

timvp
10-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Tim Duncan: Played well. Same old Tim Duncan.

Bruce Bowen: Didn't do too much. He was 1-5 from the field. He forced a couple drives into the lane. Also, he's body style looks little different. He looks a little thicker except his arms look skinnier.

Rasho Nesterovic: His touch around the basket was nice. He was more aggressive than normal. On defense, he was moving in slow motion. His rotation weren't as crisp as they usually are.

Manu Ginobili: Played his usual reckless game. His energy was there the whole game.

Tony Parker: Looked very good. His shot looks a lot better ... more arc and he isn't fading on his shot. He was making smart passes off the pick and roll. His chest is also thicker which should help him finish.

Devin Brown: He didn't force anything and was invisible for most of the game. But then came alive for a stretch in the fourth.

Brent Barry: Hopefully he was just nervous. His shooting was off and he played HORRIBLE defense. Crawford and Ariza destroyed him. I think he was playing too close to his man ... hopefully the Spurs can correct that. A case of first game jitters ... I think.

Beno Udrih: Seemed like a ten year veteran out there. Very smart and a nice passer. Didn't force the action but was able to beat his man off the dribble. His team defense was pretty good but his man-to-man defense was lacking.

Malik Rose: Rose played pretty well. Took the ball up strong and fought for rebounds. Pop went with him as the first bigman off the bench.

Tony Massenburg: Didn't see anything to like too much. He's strong and a good post defender. He looked lost on offense. (The wide shoulders, bald head and number 34? It is Terry Cummings twin :) )

Marque Perry: He was decent. Nothing too great, nothing too bad. Didn't seem to get rattled and was an active defender.

James Thomas: This guy really worked out a lot in the offseason. His arms are thick and he isn't afraid to lay the lumber. I was a little more impressed with him than when I saw him in summer league, but he's still a foul machine with stone hands.

Valter Montiero: He's the cool story of camp. He won't make the team but he tries hard. He had a nice alleyoop finish and nailed a three-pointer.

Romain Sato: His shot was off but I really like his hustle. He crashes the boards well and is willing to scrap for the ball.

Robert Horry: He played like Robert Horry plays. Smooth.

Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje: Won't make the team. Had a nice block. On offense, he's a disaster.

RobinsontoDuncan
10-16-2004, 02:59 PM
Tell me more about beno and sato, any play in particular you saw that you liked

Kori Ellis
10-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Tim Duncan: Played better than I thought he would. He says he doesn't have his wind but he looked great.

Bruce Bowen: Played good D on Tim Thomas and also switched onto Marbury for a couple possessions. He shouldn't try to force his midrange game and just take it how it comes. But I'm not worried about him.

Rasho Nesterovic: He played good offensively but didn't even seem to be trying on the boards.

Manu Ginobili: Played an average Manu game. Nothing spectacular but didn't look bad.

Tony Parker: Parker's shot looked better. He had a good 2-man game going with Duncan for a stretch. Looks stronger. I was pleasantly surprised.

Devin Brown: Didn't do anything until garbage time.

Brent Barry: I'm not worried about his shot, everyone has an off day. Hopefully he'll grab the concept of the Spurs team D because he looked bad today. He's a smart guy, so I think he'll be fine.

Beno Udrih: Beno wasn't flustered or nervous at all. Looked great except for one bad brick. Otherwise he seems like he'll fill in nicely behind Tony.

Malik Rose: First bigman off the bench, so maybe that's a sign of things to come.

Tony Massenburg: It doesn't matter.

Marque Perry: Didn't play that much but did "okay". Still wondering if they'll keep him or opt for Thomas (or maybe none of them.)

James Thomas: He's good to have because he's a wide body but he's a fouling machine.

Valter Montiero: The announcer said "he already knows he's not making this team" but his 7 points in 11 minutes and that sweet tip-in were nice to see.

Romain Sato: He came in late so you can't really judge much. His long arms are a huge asset to him.

Robert Horry: Fine.

Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje: Doesn't matter.

timvp
10-16-2004, 03:05 PM
Tell me more about beno and sato, any play in particular you saw that you liked

Beno had a couple nice passes including one laser pass from the top of the key to Rose for a layup. He is really crafty with the ball and understands what needs to be done. He can also break down a defense. The first possession he was in, he got a layup with the shotclock running down.

Sato's contributions were mostly off the ball. There really isn't one play you can point to ... rather I just was impressed with his overall energy level. The Spurs need a lot of energy off the bench with Manu starting now. If he makes the team, that is something he can provide.

whottt
10-16-2004, 03:48 PM
My biggest question about Sato is what position does he play? How tall or short is he?

Skillwise it sounds like he's the sucessor to Bruce Bowen...only he's a legitimate pure shooter...

When I read he was 6'5 with long arms great defense and a shooters touch...it sounded like he could play Bowen style SF easily.

Yet then it was reported he is only 6'2, not 6'5 and then it sounded like he would have hard time matching up sizewise with a lot of 2 guards...

So how did he look sizewise? Can he play SF? A potential bowen replacement? Or is he some kind of hybrid player that will be used situationally at the 2?

I call on TimVP to make this assesment for us Sato supporters.

boutons
10-16-2004, 03:50 PM
timvp pretty much summed it well, and he knows the names/faces of the new guys I don't, yet, and I probably won't since a few of them won't be around long.

Rose: I think he's key this year. Horry will probably do this year what Horry did last year (maybe less, has he been shooting 100's of shots in practice??), which was not bad, but it wasn't enough, even "saved for the playoffs". I think Malik really hustled the boards, took decent care of the ball, didn't shoot long jumpers. This should be his comeback year. Go Malik, we need the old pre-contract Malik.

Barrry was a disaster, the "shooter" couldn't hit shit (2-15), 1 ast, 3 turnovers, silly behind the back pass to the backourt, a liability on defense. Obviously way off his game. The Surfer couldn't catch a wave in MSG. He can only get better. Cut the showboating shit. Spurs are a tugboat team.

Rasho looked good. hit his shots. I expect his second year in the Spurs system will be more productive. He even driblbled across the paint and hit a nice little jump hook, but fuck it, the guy's natural speed is slo-mo.

Beno inspires confidence already, and when Tony sits, it won't be white-knuckles time with Beno running the O.

Obviously, with none of the first 7 or 8 players playing 2 quarters, this was a tryout for everybody else.

While it sure felt like the Spurs were shooting cold, the Spurs actually outshot the Knicks from the floor and from the line, and still lost. 24 turnovers and -9 RB will do that. I think it felt like cold Spurs shooting because their jumpers were off, and they scored in the paint. nba.com stats doesn't show paint points, fastbreak points, second chance points.

I know it's a meaningless game, but that still makes 5 straight Spurs losses. argh!!

ChumpDumper
10-16-2004, 03:59 PM
I did some comparing using the draft camp measurements from the past 4 years and Sato's wingspan and standing reach are closer to those or your average 6'5" or 6'6" player. Just from that, I'd say he's definitely a 2 and a situational 3.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-16-2004, 04:04 PM
Beno had a couple nice passes including one laser pass from the top of the key to Rose for a layup.

And Malik didn't fumble it out of bounds? Maybe there's hope...

boutons
10-16-2004, 04:57 PM
"fumble it out of bounds"

yes, he did once. He was crouched under Knicks' basket, facing the baseline, and I think it was Beno who hit him with low pass, thigh high, hit his right hand, and kept on going.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-16-2004, 06:04 PM
Ah, damn, well nevermind.

picnroll
10-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Best new things I saw was Parker. If this is his new and improved shooting I like it. Smooth stroke, even his misses were solid. Awesome on the pick and roll. When Knicks tried to jump the pick TP was so fast around the jumper that Duncan and Rasho could roll to the basket without even having to fully set the pick, yet Parker could get enough clearance to make the pass to the roller. And this was against guys like Thomas who are quick. Didn't get abused by Marbury although as usual Marbury was hiting his shots over TP.

Rasho along with TP was the star of the game. Solid shots from a variety of spots, nice hook rolling across the lane. If Rasho can shoot like this consistently and Spurs are in good shape. Couple of nice assists. Played the best post defense of any of the bigs. First quarter alone he had three blocks. Steady and disciplined as always.

Beno had a nice game for first time out. A lot of rookies I've seen have been much shakier. Great court vision, particulary in the half-court. If/when he hits those mid-range shots Spurs are set. Only got abused twice on D, once by Ariza who just earned a max contract off Barry, and one crossover by Marbury. Not bad.

Sorry but Rose along with Massenburg stunk it up. Malik missed several defensive rotations in the paint. Too focused in on his man and not seeing what else is going on or rotating back to his man too soon after he's helped on screens. Only one dropped gimme pass from Brown under the basket though. This is what got Rose benched last year and if Rose can't handle his defensive assignments he'll be back on the bench.

Massenburg is no help whatsoever.

Barry. Ouch. His shot will come but that defense better get a whole lot better just to be mediocre. Never put him, Malik and Massenburg on the floor together. He needs better help D than Rose or tony bring.

Kori Ellis
10-16-2004, 06:55 PM
So how did he look sizewise? Can he play SF? A potential bowen replacement? Or is he some kind of hybrid player that will be used situationally at the 2?

Linton Johnson is the 6'8 future Bowen replacement. Too bad we didn't get to see him play.

I don't think Sato could get very many minutes at the 3. I think he's a straight up 2 for the most part, who will get good rebounding numbers because of his long arms and huge hands. It will be very difficult for him to get any minutes at all this season.

timvp
10-16-2004, 06:56 PM
My biggest question about Sato is what position does he play? How tall or short is he?

Skillwise it sounds like he's the sucessor to Bruce Bowen...only he's a legitimate pure shooter...

When I read he was 6'5 with long arms great defense and a shooters touch...it sounded like he could play Bowen style SF easily.

Yet then it was reported he is only 6'2, not 6'5 and then it sounded like he would have hard time matching up sizewise with a lot of 2 guards...

I think right now he's too skinny to play the three. If he gained a lot of muscle (a la Devin Brown), you could hide him as a small forward.

He's pretty much an energy two-guard. Imagine a little shorter version of Spider Smith with longer arms and more active.

timvp
10-16-2004, 06:57 PM
timvp pretty much summed it well, and he knows the names/faces of the new guys I don't, yet, and I probably won't since a few of them won't be around long.

Rose: I think he's key this year. Horry will probably do this year what Horry did last year (maybe less, has he been shooting 100's of shots in practice??), which was not bad, but it wasn't enough, even "saved for the playoffs". I think Malik really hustled the boards, took decent care of the ball, didn't shoot long jumpers. This should be his comeback year. Go Malik, we need the old pre-contract Malik.

Barrry was a disaster, the "shooter" couldn't hit shit (2-15), 1 ast, 3 turnovers, silly behind the back pass to the backourt, a liability on defense. Obviously way off his game. The Surfer couldn't catch a wave in MSG. He can only get better. Cut the showboating shit. Spurs are a tugboat team.

Rasho looked good. hit his shots. I expect his second year in the Spurs system will be more productive. He even driblbled across the paint and hit a nice little jump hook, but fuck it, the guy's natural speed is slo-mo.

Beno inspires confidence already, and when Tony sits, it won't be white-knuckles time with Beno running the O.

That is pretty dead on. Nice job, Boutons.

Rick Von Braun
10-16-2004, 07:17 PM
For those interested, here are the efficiency numbers for the Spurs.

Player Efficiency Eff/min

TIM DUNCAN 26 1.300
RASHO NESTEROVIC 13 0.684
MANU GINOBILI 11 0.611
Malik Rose 10 0.667
TONY PARKER 10 0.476
BRUCE BOWEN 7 0.350
Devin Brown 7 0.350
Valter Monteiro 6 0.545
Robert Horry 4 0.444
James Thomas 3 0.273
Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje 2 0.250
Tony Massenburg 2 0.143
Beno Udrih 0 0.000
Marque Perry -1 -0.083
Romain Sato -1 -0.100
Brent Barry -3 -0.176

P.S.: The 'code' command sucks! It is impossible to align text correctly in columns.

timvp
10-16-2004, 09:59 PM
san Antonio (84) At New York (98)

San Antonio

Rebounds
Player Pos Min Fgm-fga Ftm-fta Off-def-tot Ast Pf St To Pts
====== === === ======= ======= =========== === == == == ===

B Bowen F 20 1-5 0-0 2 1 3 1 0 1 0 3
T Duncan F 20 7-9 2-3 1 7 8 3 2 1 1 16
R Nesterovic C 19 6-8 0-0 0 3 3 1 4 0 1 12
E Ginobili G 18 2-3 2-2 1 0 1 5 1 3 4 7
T Parker G 21 4-5 0-2 0 1 1 4 1 0 2 10
B Barry 17 2-10 1-2 0 3 3 1 2 0 3 5
M Rose 15 1-3 6-6 1 2 3 1 4 0 0 8
R Horry 9 1-2 0-0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 2
T Massenburg 14 0-0 0-0 0 3 3 0 2 1 3 0
D Brown 20 3-6 2-3 0 2 2 2 3 0 1 8
R Sato 10 1-5 0-0 0 2 2 0 1 0 1 2
B Udrih 15 1-4 0-0 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 2
V Monteiro 11 2-3 2-2 0 1 1 0 2 0 1 7
J Thomas 11 0-1 2-2 0 3 3 0 3 0 1 2
M Perry 12 0-3 0-0 0 0 0 4 0 1 3 0
R Boumtje-boumtj 8 0-0 0-0 0 2 2 0 1 1 2 0

Totals 240 31-67 17-22 5 32 37 22 27 10 24 84
(.463) (.773) Team Rebs: 4 Total To: 24 (31 Pts)

New York

Rebounds
Player Pos Min Fgm-fga Ftm-fta Off-def-tot Ast Pf St To Pts
====== === === ======= ======= =========== === == == == ===

K Thomas F 19 2-5 0-0 1 5 6 1 4 0 1 4
T Thomas F 20 3-8 2-2 2 2 4 3 3 2 0 9
N Mohammed C 15 3-6 0-0 1 1 2 0 2 0 0 6
J Crawford G 25 10-12 2-3 0 0 0 2 0 1 2 25
S Marbury G 22 3-5 3-3 0 1 1 6 1 0 1 10
M Sweetney 25 5-9 1-4 3 3 6 2 0 1 4 11
V Baker 18 1-7 3-4 1 3 4 0 2 0 1 5
J Brewer 12 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 2 1 0 1 0
Je Williams 8 1-4 3-4 1 0 1 0 1 2 0 5
T Ariza 22 3-9 0-0 4 5 9 3 3 1 3 6
P Hardaway 18 4-10 0-1 1 4 5 0 3 2 2 8
M Norris 11 1-3 1-1 0 2 2 1 1 2 0 3
B Sundov 8 2-2 2-2 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 6
S Anderson 6 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0
T Murray 5 0-0 0-0 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 0
A Barrett 3 0-2 0-0 0 2 2 1 0 0 0 0
M Bateer 3 0-1 0-0 1 1 2 0 0 0 0 0

Totals 240 38-83 17-24 15 31 46 22 23 11 17 98
(.458) (.708) Team Rebs: 6 Total To: 18 (9 Pts)

San Antonio 17 27 25 15 - 84
New York 22 29 31 16 - 98

Blocked Shots: San Antonio - T Duncan 2, T Massenburg, R Boumtje-boumtje,
R Horry. New York - V Baker, T Ariza.
3-pt. Field Goals: San Antonio 5-15 (.333), B Bowen 1-2, E Ginobili 1-
1, T Parker 2-3, B Barry 0-5, D Brown 0-1, B Udrih 0-1, V Monteiro 1-
2. New York 5-6 (.833), T Thomas 1-1, J Crawford 3-3, S Marbury 1-
1, A Barrett 0-1.
Technical Fouls: San Antonio - V Sanikidze. New York - Je Williams.
Flagrant Fouls: None.
Officials: Blane Reichelt, Ed Malloy, Rodney Mott.
A - 15,009. T - 2:11.

Solid D
10-17-2004, 12:40 AM
Although the Spurs were just trying to get used to playing again, I would just like to say the Knicks looked very good. There were 3 guys who really impressed:

1. Jamal Crawford was just sick from the outside. He couldn't miss no matter the distance and he had a couple of "and-1 tour moves" he put on Barry and Gino.

2. Trevor Ariza. WOW. I knew this 19-yr. old was good but not that good. 2nd round STEAL. He did everything out there except inflate the ball before the game. His on ball D was tremendous. He hustled. He blocked shots. Great passer and feel for the game. He can jump out of the gym. A lot of surprised looks on some of his rebounds out of nowhere.

3. Michael Sweetney. Big and just gets it done. Not bad footwork but he can just back down and bludgeon his way in there without getting called and has a nice touch around the basket. Nice off-season development on this kid.

TwoHandJam
10-17-2004, 09:11 AM
Technical Fouls: San Antonio - V Sanikidze. :wtf Was he even at the game? And if he was, how the hell did he get a technical?

Also, picnroll claims Rasho had 3 blocks in the first quarter yet in the box score he's credited for none.

What's up with that? :wtf

picnroll
10-17-2004, 09:39 AM
imo official boxscore are frequently useless when it comes to blocks and assists. He got his hand on three shots and knocked them off. I'll reveiew the recording later and give you the plays.

mattyc
10-17-2004, 10:33 AM
Bateer. :smokin

T Park
10-17-2004, 12:59 PM
Picnroll, dont say too many good things about Rasho, hes soft and pathetic you know.

We should cut him immediately so we can start Massenburg according to Sequ and others.

SLOVENIAN 8
10-17-2004, 02:06 PM
We should cut him immediately so we can start Massenburg according to Sequ and others. :lmao :lmao :lmao :lol

timvp
10-18-2004, 01:21 AM
Trevor Ariza. WOW. I knew this 19-yr. old was good but not that good. 2nd round STEAL. He did everything out there except inflate the ball before the game. His on ball D was tremendous. He hustled. He blocked shots. Great passer and feel for the game. He can jump out of the gym. A lot of surprised looks on some of his rebounds out of nowhere.

It's really surprising how well he's playing. A lot of people actually expected him to go undrafted. At UCLA, he never really tried and struggled with asthma. His jumpshot was supposedly a huge weakness ... but with athleticism like that, he doesn't need to shoot.

One thing to note: The Spurs got the 43rd pick from Atlanta and drafted Viktor Sanikidze. Trevor Ariza was drafted with the 44th pick.

I guess you can't get them all. :drunk

xcoriate
10-18-2004, 01:26 AM
Well, Victor could yet be a balla hes what 17