View Full Version : O'Neal guarantees another title at Heat parade

ducks
06-24-2006, 01:17 PM
O'Neal guarantees another title at Heat parade
June 23, 2006

MIAMI (Ticker) - Shaquille O'Neal vowed he would deliver an NBA title to South Beach when he was acquired by the Miami Heat in July 2004. On Friday, O'Neal guaranteed that another one will follow next season.

O'Neal and the Heat celebrated the first championship in the 18-year history of the franchise at a parade in downtown Miami on Friday.

The All-Star center is a veteran of championship parades, enjoying three with the Los Angeles Lakers from 2000-02. O'Neal turned Friday's parade into his own personal rap concert and gave the crowd of approximately 250,000 exactly what it wanted to hear at the end - a guarantee of more championship glory.

ADVERTISEMENT
"We will do it again next year," O'Neal said. "Can you dig it."

The "can you dig it" line was a popular refrain from his parades with the Lakers.

The loudest ovations went to superstar guard Dwyane Wade and coach and president Pat Riley, who envisioned a parade when he came to run the franchise 11 years ago.

Wade averaged 34.7 points in the NBA Finals as the Heat won four straight games over the Dallas Mavericks after losing the first two games. He scored 36 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in the Heat's series-clinching 95-92 win at Dallas on Tuesday night.

"Repeat after me, MVP, MVP," O'Neal bellowed to the crowd before introducing Wade.

Wearing white sunglasses, Wade took a more humble approach in his address to the fans.

"You did it for us with your tremendous support," Wade said. "I just want to thank my teammates for making this possible."

Riley, who coached the Lakers to four titles in the 1980s, danced on the stage to the delight of the fans while O'Neal rapped to the crowd.

"We've got 15 strong," Riley said. "It's all about 15 strong and these players rose to the occasion and you fans lifted us. This is very special."

Riley replaced Stan Van Gundy as coach in December. The future Hall of Famer is tied with John Kundla of the Minneapolis Lakers with five titles. Only Red Auerbach and Phil Jackson have won more titles, with nine each.

Championship banners were hanging along the side of Biscayne Boulevard - the major thoroughfare running through downtown Miami.

Guard Jason Williams provided relief when he sprayed the fans with toy water cannons as he traveled through the parade route on a truck.

O'Neal jumped off his truck to slap hands with the fans. But a large number of fans broke through the barricades, forcing police to clear the roadway so the parade could continue.

mavsfan1000
06-24-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm sorry but he is going to be disappointed. It's either Mavs, Suns, or Spurs next year and maybe even the Pistons beat them.

awmyplace
06-24-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm sorry but he is going to be disappointed. It's either Mavs, Suns, or Spurs next year and maybe even the Pistons beat them.

The Pistons will not beat them next year.

z0sa
06-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Yeah for some reason, I think the Pistons have some rethinking to do before they just magically get back to the finals.

Burn531
06-24-2006, 05:05 PM
I don't understand how people and "experts" think the Pistons are going in the wrong direction. There still a 50 win team without Ben Wallace and with him who knows what will happen. They only need about 2 players that will make them a force in the playoffs. Cause they looked average during the Cavs and Miami series.

awmyplace
06-24-2006, 05:43 PM
:lmao
I don't understand how people and "experts" think the Pistons are going in the wrong direction. There still a 50 win team without Ben Wallace and with him who knows what will happen. They only need about 2 players that will make them a force in the playoffs. Cause they looked average during the Cavs and Miami series.

Burn531
06-24-2006, 05:55 PM

I find it very funny that all you do is laugh at people instead of trying to prove a point or give your opinion.

awmyplace
06-24-2006, 06:30 PM
I find it very funny that all you do is laugh at people instead of trying to prove a point or give your opinion.

Blah,Blah,Blah

Whatever!

Stop hating on the Heat!

bulletedge
06-25-2006, 07:22 AM
I don't know who will win it next year but I doubt very much it will be the Heat. Shaq will be one year older and slower and Wade will probably "go Hollywood" to some extent.

mabber
06-25-2006, 10:40 AM

If they add some depth they could win the east. They better do it next season though as the Cavs are a player or two away from beginning their dominance of the east in my opinion.

Obstructed_View
06-25-2006, 10:43 AM
If they add some depth they could win the east. They better do it next season though as the Cavs are a player or two away from beginning their dominance of the east in my opinion.
Well put. I concur.

JamStone
06-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Shaq can talk all he wants. The Heat won. They're the champs. Every championship team talks about repeating the next season. So, Shaq is a little more confident and guarantees it. He and the Heat still have to go out there and do it. But, they're the champs and have the right to be a little cocky.

The Detroit Pistons may or may not be back. Who knows? It's professional sports. Nothing is written in stone. After David Robinson retired, and after the Spurs lost to the Lakers in '04, were the Spurs guaranteed to win it all again ... at least in the minds of non-Spurs fans? Detroit definitely needs to address some issues. And, teams like Cleveland and Washington and even Chicago depending what they do are all catching up to Miami and Detroit. New Jersey and Indiana won't fall to the bottom either. Every season is different, and that's why they play the games.

Detroit is not young, but they're not old either. The Pistons need to make a few changes, and they should still be a contender next season. Miami will still be a force, and Dwyane Wade is unbelievable. But, Shaq has clearly started to show his age.

Just like every season, it will be fun to watch. And, I'm sure the Heat and Miami fans will be doing a lot of talking all season long. But, that's cool. They're the defending champs.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Put Those Fours Up I Saiddd

REDLION#22
06-25-2006, 11:10 AM
maybe even the Pistons beat them.

puh lise how many times will i say it the pistons were a fluke from 2004 to 2006 their diabolical fluke is over!!!! heat have always been the superior team.last year a 5 players injured heat took the pissed ons to 7 games and this year they spanked them in 5(game 2...they were lucky to win).so no more detriot pissed ons talk.

Obstructed_View
06-25-2006, 11:11 AM
I knew the moron squad from south Florida had to show up sooner or later.

REDLION#22
06-25-2006, 11:19 AM
we caught our moronic stuff from you so no argument there;)

strangeweather
06-25-2006, 01:51 PM
puh lise how many times will i say it the pistons were a fluke from 2004 to 2006 their diabolical fluke is over!!!!
Yeah, and Shaq's Lakers were a fluke title winner for 3 years in a row. :rolleyes

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." If it happens repeatedly, it's not a fluke.

StylisticS
06-25-2006, 01:54 PM
puh lise how many times will i say it the pistons were a fluke from 2004 to 2006 their diabolical fluke is over!!!! heat have always been the superior team.last year a 5 players injured heat took the pissed ons to 7 games and this year they spanked them in 5(game 2...they were lucky to win).so no more detriot pissed ons talk.

How are the Pistons a fluke if they went to the finals 2 years in a row and went to the eastern conference finals four years in a row?

Burn531
06-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Blah,Blah,Blah

Whatever!

Stop hating on the Heat!

Hating on the Heat? Not at all. I was merely talking about the Pistons next year and what they need to do this off season to get better.

awmyplace
06-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Hating on the Heat? Not at all. I was merely talking about the Pistons next year and what they need to do this off season to get better.

Oh Really???

awmyplace
06-25-2006, 03:42 PM
How are the Pistons a fluke if they went to the finals 2 years in a row and went to the eastern conference finals four years in a row?

Are you a Pistons fans or what?

awmyplace
06-25-2006, 03:42 PM
we caught our moronic stuff from you so no argument there;)

Lol!

awmyplace
06-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Shaq can talk all he wants. The Heat won. They're the champs. Every championship team talks about repeating the next season. So, Shaq is a little more confident and guarantees it. He and the Heat still have to go out there and do it. But, they're the champs and have the right to be a little cocky.

The Detroit Pistons may or may not be back. Who knows? It's professional sports. Nothing is written in stone. After David Robinson retired, and after the Spurs lost to the Lakers in '04, were the Spurs guaranteed to win it all again ... at least in the minds of non-Spurs fans? Detroit definitely needs to address some issues. And, teams like Cleveland and Washington and even Chicago depending what they do are all catching up to Miami and Detroit. New Jersey and Indiana won't fall to the bottom either. Every season is different, and that's why they play the games.

Detroit is not young, but they're not old either. The Pistons need to make a few changes, and they should still be a contender next season. Miami will still be a force, and Dwyane Wade is unbelievable. But, Shaq has clearly started to show his age.

Just like every season, it will be fun to watch. And, I'm sure the Heat and Miami fans will be doing a lot of talking all season long. But, that's cool. They're the defending champs.

Yeah!The Miami Heat are the champs.Let's Go Heat!!!

REDLION#22
06-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Yeah, and Shaq's Lakers were a fluke title winner for 3 years in a row. :rolleyes

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." If it happens repeatedly, it's not a fluke.

i know what fluke means.the 00-02 lakers were not a fluke cuz they actually worked hard for what they wanted,the pistons,have had an easy way during their run cuz they always seem to defeat mentally and phisicaly injured teams,UNTILL 2006 when teams were healthy and they were finnaly exposed;)

REDLION#22
06-25-2006, 03:54 PM

2004-the eastern conference was injured especially j-kidd and j-oneal

2005-their dirty play on the brawl caused them to have an easy schedule,and the suspension of the guy that acctualy caused problems for them.in the ECF they were EXTREEMLEY lucky to win it cuz the heat had its starting lineup injured or recentley injured or in recovery AND THE INJURED HEAT STILL TOOK THE PISTONS TO 7 GAMES PROOVING ONCE AGAIN WHY THEY ARE THE BETTER TEAM

2006-the pistons won the ECF... OH WAIT THE CAVS AND HEAT WERE HEALTHY!!!SO AS ALWAYS PISTONS COULD NOT HANDLE HEALTHY TEAMS SO BY BY TO THE PISTONS DIABOLICAL FLUKE

2007-the team's fluke is offically over

StylisticS
06-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Are you a Pistons fans or what?

Maverick fan. What does it matter to you anyway?

StylisticS
06-25-2006, 04:09 PM
And this is the Pistons fault? Injuries are apart of the game. The Pistons didn't wish that upon the Nets. Injuries have happened since sports begun so you have to come up with something better than that. Besides that same J-Kidd team took them to 7 and J-oneal went 6 in the ECF's.

2005-
their dirty play on the brawl caused them to have an easy schedule,and the suspension of the guy that acctualy caused problems for them.in the ECF they were EXTREEMLEY lucky to win it cuz the heat had its starting lineup injured or recentley injured or in recovery AND THE INJURED HEAT STILL TOOK THE PISTONS TO 7 GAMES PROOVING ONCE AGAIN WHY THEY ARE THE BETTER TEAM
I guess this is a new phenomenon. You win, you lose, and you almost won. Fact of the matter is, Detroit beat Miami in 7 on your home court. I could care less who was suspended, injured, thrown off the team, whatever. Again, all three has happened before in sports and many of those teams overcame that. Again, not the Pistons fault.

2006-the pistons won the ECF... OH WAIT THE CAVS AND HEAT WERE HEALTHY!!!SO AS ALWAYS PISTONS COULD NOT HANDLE HEALTHY TEAMS SO BY BY TO THE PISTONS DIABOLICAL FLUKE
Well the Pistons were NOT healthy since you want to play the injury game. Rasheed walking on a hobbled ankle and Rip Hamilton as well from the previous series which affected him the rest of the playoffs. If they were healthy, they would have beaten the Heat and the Cavs easily, according to your logic.

Could you tell me the lottery numbers for Friday. You seem to already know the future Miss Cleo. Tell me NOW

REDLION#22
06-25-2006, 04:23 PM
face it their run is over.

Rip-Hamilton32
06-25-2006, 04:32 PM
lol...their run is over? i'll remember this when your at home watching detroit playing the spurs next years in the finals..

awmyplace
06-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Maverick fan. What does it matter to you anyway?

Its does matter to me anyway.I was just asking you a question okay.

awmyplace
06-25-2006, 04:36 PM
lol...their run is over? i'll remember this when your at home watching detroit playing the spurs next years in the finals..

No,The Miami Heat will be playing the Spurs next year in the finals.

Rip-Hamilton32
06-25-2006, 04:40 PM
lol..awmyplace everything that you type is just so intelligent..you should watch basketball not just pick the team that last won the championship

Burn531
06-25-2006, 04:48 PM

Jersey was up 3-2 going back home for Game 6 to close out. O'Neal avg. 17 and 10 in the ECF.

2005-their dirty play on the brawl caused them to have an easy schedule,and the suspension of the guy that acctualy caused problems for them.in the ECF they were EXTREEMLEY lucky to win it cuz the heat had its starting lineup injured or recentley injured or in recovery AND THE INJURED HEAT STILL TOOK THE PISTONS TO 7 GAMES PROOVING ONCE AGAIN WHY THEY ARE THE BETTER TEAM

Nobody has an easy schedule. Everybody plays everybody during the regular season. Sometimes 3 times and 4 times in your divsion while you play West/East teams twice. "That guy" is Ron Artest. EXTREEMLEY lucky as you put it is misinterpreted. The Heat had the lead in the 4th in Game 7 until the 3:36 mark. The Heat shot jumpers for the last 3 minutes instead of giving it to Shaq more often who was killing Ben Wallace all game long. Wade took a bad shot with 1:13 left that missed. Shaq and Damon Jones missed FTs that would of tied the game in the last minute.

The Cavs haven't been in the playoffs since the 90's. Are you sayin they have sucked for so many years cause they were injured?

Please Ms. Cleo tell me when the Hawks will have a winning season!!!!!
:lol You're a fucking joke and everybody on this board knows it. You talk out of your ass and only think about the Heat. :wakeup

strangeweather
06-25-2006, 04:50 PM
i know what fluke means.the 00-02 lakers were not a fluke cuz they actually worked hard for what they wanted,the pistons,have had an easy way during their run cuz they always seem to defeat mentally and phisicaly injured teams,UNTILL 2006 when teams were healthy and they were finnaly exposed;)
The Pistons have never been such a force of nature that they could dominate the entire league -- though they looked like it for a while during the regular season this year.

But they have been one of the top teams in the league for several years now, dating back to when the Heat were still in the draft lottery. That isn't a fluke, or it wouldn't have kept happening. Lots of teams run into injuries, bad calls, or whatever, and lots of opposing teams take advantage of those opportunities. But if a team is consistently able to find their way into the top tier of teams, it means that they're doing something to get there -- luck only gets you so far, and it rarely strikes twice in the same place.

Rip-Hamilton32
06-25-2006, 04:58 PM
lol..well said..redlion and awmyplace don't know much about basketball besides the fact that miami won the championship this year

awmyplace
06-25-2006, 05:00 PM
lol..well said..redlion and awmyplace don't know much about basketball besides the fact that miami won the championship this year

First Of All,I do know basketball.

Rip-Hamilton32
06-25-2006, 05:02 PM
lol..well ive read alot of your posts and guess what..you don't.

polandprzem
06-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Who is Shaq?

awmyplace
06-25-2006, 05:23 PM
lol..awmyplace everything that you type is just so intelligent..you should watch basketball not just pick the team that last won the championship

I do watch basketball

awmyplace
06-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Who is Shaq?

Shaq is a basketball player.

Burn531
06-25-2006, 05:24 PM
I do watch basketball

You can watch it all you want but that doesn't mean you know the game.

Rip-Hamilton32
06-25-2006, 05:24 PM
you can watch it..doesn't mean you know anything about it

strangeweather
06-25-2006, 05:29 PM
I do watch basketball
If you're just starting to learn how to watch basketball, it's okay. Everyone started at some point, and the world could use more basketball fans.

But if you stake out opinions on a message board and can't defend them pretty well, there are other posters who will rip you apart.

Also, having two of the top teams in the league both as your favorite teams just isn't going to work. Many people have other teams that they admire and like to see do well, but you should pick a team to be a fan of and stick with it, even when they're lousy.

awmyplace
06-25-2006, 05:36 PM
If you're just starting to learn how to watch basketball, it's okay. Everyone started at some point, and the world could use more basketball fans.

But if you stake out opinions on a message board and can't defend them pretty well, there are other posters who will rip you apart.

Also, having two of the top teams in the league both as your favorite teams just isn't going to work. Many people have other teams that they admire and like to see do well, but you should pick a team to be a fan of and stick with it, even when they're lousy.

I started watching baskebtall in May 2004 when the Lakers and Timberwolves were in the third round playoffs and I watched the Pistons and Lakers finals in June 2004.When the Lakers traded Shaq from the Lakers I've been a Miami Heat ever seen Shaq arrived two years ago.

himat
06-25-2006, 05:38 PM

A smart Dallas fan. You're one of the few
:fro .

himat
06-25-2006, 05:39 PM
I love when this happens :spin . I can't believe I'm saying this, but don't win too many games this season Pistons.

himat
06-25-2006, 05:41 PM
Redellion man injuries are a part of the game. You know I can jsut pull out the Rasheed injury any time I want...The pistons lost 7 out of their last 11 games after Rasheed got injured :lol . Redellion just :stfu .

J.T.
06-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Sucks to be Shaq because 2007 Spurs over Miami in 5.

strangeweather
06-25-2006, 05:47 PM
I started watching baskebtall in May 2004 when the Lakers and Timberwolves were in the third round playoffs and I watched the Pistons and Lakers finals in June 2004.When the Lakers traded Shaq from the Lakers I've been a Miami Heat ever seen Shaq arrived two years ago.
Cool.

But there's also a difference between watching a game of basketball and really understanding what's going on. Some people are just casual fans -- they like to see their favorite players score and their team do well, but their knowledge of basketball isn't very deep. And there's nothing wrong with just enjoying watching a game of basketball.

On the other end of the spectrum are people who understand all the plays the teams are running and the defensive adjustments being made against them and can scout players for key skills even when the player is raw, playing out of position, etc.

Many people are somewhere in between. Maybe they can see when players are boxing out poorly, or can see when a player sets an effective pick, or can spot when a team switches to a zone defense from a man defense. Maybe they can see where a certain player tries to take his shots from, and how his defender plays him.

Starting to watch for things like that is how you start to understand what's really going on in the game. That's what I meant about learning how to watch basketball.

awmyplace
06-25-2006, 06:01 PM
Cool.

But there's also a difference between watching a game of basketball and really understanding what's going on. Some people are just casual fans -- they like to see their favorite players score and their team do well, but their knowledge of basketball isn't very deep. And there's nothing wrong with just enjoying watching a game of basketball.

On the other end of the spectrum are people who understand all the plays the teams are running and the defensive adjustments being made against them and can scout players for key skills even when the player is raw, playing out of position, etc.

Many people are somewhere in between. Maybe they can see when players are boxing out poorly, or can see when a player sets an effective pick, or can spot when a team switches to a zone defense from a man defense. Maybe they can see where a certain player tries to take his shots from, and how his defender plays him.

Starting to watch for things like that is how you start to understand what's really going on in the game. That's what I meant about learning how to watch basketball.

Oh Okay!I understand now.

ABDENOUR POWER
06-25-2006, 06:24 PM
Shaq is a basketball player.

If I may ask, how old are you?

mabber
06-25-2006, 06:31 PM
Cool.

Good post! I'd say you (Strangeweather) are one of the few posters that really seem to understand the game and don't just come on here to bash other teams & their fans and state defenseless opinions. Posters like you are the only reason I continue to come back to this forum. You'll probably get bashed now since you're keeping a Mav fan here :lol

awmyplace
06-25-2006, 06:43 PM
If I may ask, how old are you?

I'm in my late 30s

DirkAB
06-25-2006, 07:47 PM

The Heat have just as good of a chance as any of those teams, why would anybody in their right mind count the Heat out?

mike detroit
06-25-2006, 08:26 PM
The Pistons will not beat them next year.

wow, you really make some great points.

mike detroit
06-25-2006, 08:27 PM
I'm in my late 30s

you can't be serious

DallasFan
06-25-2006, 08:34 PM
I think everone's gonna be in for a big surprise when the Cavs start flying...or at least James.

awmyplace
06-25-2006, 09:22 PM
wow, you really make some great points.

Thanks!

mike detroit
06-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks!

let me get this straight. you're in your late 30s, but you only started watching basketball in 2004? what were you doing prior to that?

awmyplace
06-25-2006, 09:29 PM
let me get this straight. you're in your late 30s, but you only started watching basketball in 2004? what were you doing prior to that?

Yes I started watching basektball when the Lakers and Timberwovles Series and than I watched the Lakers and Pistons Fianls.

mike detroit
06-25-2006, 09:34 PM
Yes I started watching basektball when the Lakers and Timberwovles Series and than I watched the Lakers and Pistons Fianls.

what i mean is, did you just not like basketball before then?

awmyplace
06-25-2006, 10:02 PM
what i mean is, did you just not like basketball before then?

Nope

mike detroit
06-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Nope
hmmm... that's pretty strange. you just randomly started liking a sport you had no interest in before? and it just happened to occur at the same time the no-history team in your town got good. weird.

awmyplace
06-25-2006, 10:19 PM
hmmm... that's pretty strange. you just randomly started liking a sport you had no interest in before? and it just happened to occur at the same time the no-history team in your town got good. weird.

Back in the day I watched the Nba.

mike detroit
06-25-2006, 10:20 PM
Back in the day I watched the Nba.

that sort of clashes with what you just said. which is it?

awmyplace
06-25-2006, 10:22 PM
that sort of clashes with what you just said. which is it?

Oh Okay!I watched the Nba back in the day and I just starting back watching basketball in 2004

mike detroit
06-25-2006, 10:45 PM
Oh Okay!I watched the Nba back in the day and I just starting back watching basketball in 2004

oh i get it. so you were a bandwagon bulls fan "back in the day" and then you gave up on the game, but then the heat got good and you decided to become a fan again. it's okay, that makes sense.

awmyplace
06-25-2006, 10:47 PM
oh i get it. so you were a bandwagon bulls fan "back in the day" and then you gave up on the game, but then the heat got good and you decided to become a fan again. it's okay, that makes sense.

Thank You!Yeah I liked M.J.back in the day.

emo serb
06-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Thank You!Yeah I liked M.J.back in the day.
You're not married are you?

awmyplace
06-25-2006, 10:52 PM
You're not married are you?

Nope.

emo serb
06-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Nope.
Thought so.

mike detroit
06-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Thought so.

lol

NASpurs
06-25-2006, 11:02 PM
Thought so.:lmao

Burn531
06-25-2006, 11:04 PM
Thought so.

:lol :lmao :lmao

sprrs
06-26-2006, 02:46 AM
Manu also technically guaranteed another championship for us last year. I don't think he'll go back on his word. :spin

himat
06-26-2006, 09:00 AM
Thought so.
:lol :lmao :lmao :rollin