PDA

View Full Version : Should Avery Have Kicked Cuban Out Of His Lockerroom

nbascribe
06-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Okay I was wondering. Maybe part of the problem for the Mavs was the fact that Cuban kept trying to put his influence on his team at the wrong time of the playoffs.

if you were Avery, would you have the balls to get Cuban out of your team's heads?

ShackO
06-24-2006, 01:40 PM
I think they had a lot more on their minds then what the clown was up to....

Avery had a lot on his plate.......... I don't see how trying to kick the boss out of "his" locker room wass going to help...............

Obstructed_View
06-25-2006, 06:05 AM
Okay I was wondering. Maybe part of the problem for the Mavs was the fact that Cuban kept trying to put his influence on his team at the wrong time of the playoffs.

if you were Avery, would you have the balls to get Cuban out of your team's heads?
Avery knows damn well that he'd get fired if he did that. Mark Cuban is a meddler and a buffoon. AJ knew that when he took the assistant job.

bulletedge
06-25-2006, 07:19 AM
I think that the players probably pay a LOT less attention to what Cuban says and does than do the rest of us- especially the media.

spurschick
06-25-2006, 09:37 AM
If AJ is smart, he'll find a way to eventually get out of Dallas and coach elsewhere.

TheTruth
06-25-2006, 10:10 AM
If AJ is smart, he'll find a way to eventually get out of Dallas and coach elsewhere.
Say what? AJ has one of the few bonafide superstars on his team, a young/athletic supporting cast, and an owner willing to spend whatever it takes to win a championship. Seems to me that AJ is in the perfect situation. He'd be dumb to leave.

mabber
06-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Say what? AJ has one of the few bonafide superstars on his team, a young/athletic supporting cast, and an owner willing to spend whatever it takes to win a championship. Seems to me that AJ is in the perfect situation. He'd be dumb to leave.

Exactly! Plus, Cuban draws all the attention to him so the players & coaches can just concentrate on playing ball.

Obstructed_View
06-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Exactly! Plus, Cuban draws all the attention to him so the players & coaches can just concentrate on playing ball.
That didn't work out so well...

spurschick
06-25-2006, 10:50 AM

I said eventually. He's obviously put in a lot of work to establish the Mavs as serious contenders, so I definitely don't think that he should jump ship right now. Personally, I think that Cuban is too much of a distraction to his players and he sets a bad example for them. Many have said publicly that they weren't supporting the Mavs to win because of Cuban. That really sucks for AJ and the rest of the team who busted their ass to get to the finals. As AJ progresses as a coach and the team goes through the inevitable changes over the next few years, I'd like to see how AJ does under a different owner.

Obstructed_View
06-25-2006, 10:51 AM
I said eventually. He's obviously put in a lot of work to establish the Mavs as serious contenders, so I definitely don't think that he should jump ship right now. Personally, I think that Cuban is too much of a distraction to his players and he sets a bad example for them. Many have said publicly that they weren't supporting the Mavs to win because of Cuban. That really sucks for AJ and the rest of the team who busted their ass to get to the finals. As AJ progresses as a coach and the team goes through the inevitable changes over the next few years, I'd like to see how AJ does under a different owner.
Don't worry. The relationship will sour soon enough.

East Coast Babe
06-26-2006, 04:10 AM
Don't worry. The relationship will sour soon enough.

Unfortunately, I think you are right, but to take your team to the Finals in your first full year of coaching, NOT BAD!!

Obstructed_View
06-26-2006, 05:27 AM
Unfortunately, I think you are right, but to take your team to the Finals in your first full year of coaching, NOT BAD!!
It was a great job. The thing is that the Mavs have had the horses for a while. Don Nelson is a stupid terrible coach that can't win with his talent because he benches guys for playing defense. It's sort of like Parcells following Campo.

MrChug
06-26-2006, 06:31 AM
History has shown that traditionally that the best owners have always been hands off/pro coach, deep pocket owners with a good sense of ethics, and a good relationship with the players. But even more important than all that is THAT THEY LET THE EXPERTS IN THE SPORT DO THEIR JOBS! Basically, shut the living fuck up and sign the checks. Stay out of my huddles, stay out of my lockerroom. These guys are busy and stressed enough with me in their face. They don't need some pompous rich prick sticking his big fat face yelling out just random things that work at the computer company to fire up your sales team. Get back to your luxury box where you belong.

dallasmavsnfuego214
06-26-2006, 07:18 AM
Cuban's good for the players. he keeps them motivated, when they're on the road you can tell it makes a difference. they are the best road team in the league. yes i know they lost all three in Miami, but they clinched all three previous seroes on the road. Darrel Armstrong does the exact same thing for the team

East Coast Babe
06-27-2006, 03:08 AM
It was a great job. The thing is that the Mavs have had the horses for a while. Don Nelson is a stupid terrible coach that can't win with his talent because he benches guys for playing defense. It's sort of like Parcells following Campo.

Indulge me here a minute. I know this is a basketball forum, but talking about Parcells and Campo, I heard something about the owner, Jerry Jones taking over (or something?). Do you know what is going on? We don't live there anymore, and I could not believe what I heard about that! :lol

Obstructed_View
06-27-2006, 07:10 AM
Indulge me here a minute. I know this is a basketball forum, but talking about Parcells and Campo, I heard something about the owner, Jerry Jones taking over (or something?). Do you know what is going on? We don't live there anymore, and I could not believe what I heard about that! :lol
Jerry Jones is the owner and GM of the team. Unless by "taking over" you are referring to holding people hostage at Valley Ranch, I don't know how much more in charge Jerry Jones could be.

East Coast Babe
06-28-2006, 02:31 AM
Okay, thanks! I am not sure what I heard. I am sure it was wrong. He is already in charge, you are right.

Beer is Good
06-28-2006, 10:16 AM
I think she meant taking over coaching, which won't ever happen because deep down Jerry knows he can't coach for shit. What is it with Dallas and obnoxious owners? At least Jerry had Jimmy to win three (yes three, the Boys won in spite of Barry "gun in my carry on" Switzer) titles, but Jones is still a more refined Cuban style jack ass

degenerate_gambler
06-28-2006, 12:00 PM
What is it with Dallas and obnoxious owners?

Didn't use to be that way. Clint Murchinson never sought the spotlight. He let Tex Schramm take care of that.

And Donald Carter, from what I can remember basically stay out of the way as well.

Obstructed_View
06-28-2006, 12:48 PM
I think she meant taking over coaching, which won't ever happen because deep down Jerry knows he can't coach for shit. What is it with Dallas and obnoxious owners? At least Jerry had Jimmy to win three (yes three, the Boys won in spite of Barry "gun in my carry on" Switzer) titles, but Jones is still a more refined Cuban style jack ass
Yeah Jimmy was real successful without the Cowboys.

Quadzilla99
06-28-2006, 01:20 PM
""Should Avery Have Kicked Cuban Out Of His Lockerroom ?"

Yes with a steel toed boot.