PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Marion for Rashard Lewis and the #10?

AZLouis
06-25-2006, 07:58 AM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41073/20060624/sonics_and_suns_talking_trade/

Sonics And Suns Talking Trade?
24th June, 2006 - 10:46 pm
DraftExpress.com - Multiple sources told DraftExpress on Saturday that the Phoenix Suns and Seattle Supersonics are working on a potential blockbuster trade.

The Sonics have implied to numerous people over the past 48 hours that “something is going to go down,” while another source in Seattle told us that the Supersonics are “getting very close” to finalizing a trade.

While the exact details of the trade are still unknown, numerous names have been mentioned as key components. The main ones are Shawn Marion and Rashard Lewis, who would be exchanged along with the team’s first round draft choices (#10 for #27). Other pieces that are being discussed include Leandro Barbosa and Danny Fortson.

Seattle is interested in moving Rashard Lewis due to the fact that they believe he will opt out of his contract next summer and end up losing him for nothing. With so many concerns about the future of the franchise in Seattle, the best way to put fans in the seats is certainly to start winning more games, which is the primary motive of this trade.

Phoenix’s motive is to avoid the luxury tax for next season, which they are dangerously close to, and still keep the team as competitive as they are now. The Suns still have to extend Boris Diaw for 5 years and anywhere from 45-55 million dollars, which would put them well above the luxury tax threshold.

With Leandro Barbosa looking for a contract starting in the 7-8 million dollar range, and Steve Nash, Amare Stoudamire and Shawn Marion making max or near max dollars, keeping their core together past next season does not appear to be very likely.

Instead, the Suns can save quite a bit of money in the long term by taking on Rashard Lewis’ more affordable deal and securing an immediate contributor (such as Rodney Carney or Ronnie Brewer) on a cheap 4 year rookie contract. Lewis makes over 5 million dollars less than Marion.

Danny Fortson would be used as filler to make the trade work under the cap. He is an ending contract next year and could either give the Suns more toughness, rebounding and depth, be used as trade bait, or bought out of his contract. That depends on whether or not he can resolve his differences with Jerry Colangelo, whom he sued for defamation in 2004 for calling him a “thug” in the media after breaking Zarko Cabarkapa’s wrist in a game between Dallas and Phoenix.

mabber
06-25-2006, 10:28 AM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41073/20060624/sonics_and_suns_talking_trade/

If the Suns lose both Marion & Barbosa in this deal then they will be a much different type of team next season. Lewis is a good player but the Suns would be losing too much. Yes, they'd be saving money but I don't think they'd compete for the Western Conference Championship.

JMarkJohns
06-25-2006, 11:17 AM
If this trade doesn't happen by Wednesday, it's not going to.

I think Phoenix would be much better trying to package James Jones and their two picks this year with Kurt Thomas to a team five million or more under the cap in hopes of lessening their payroll by five to ten million.

They need to do whatever it takes to allow Amare, Nash, Marion, Diaw, Bell and Barbosa to stay together for the next two years minimum.

They have some quality picks in next year's draft, so if things don't work out with Barbosa, at least keep him for this season.

N4th4n
06-25-2006, 11:37 AM
[QUOTE=JMarkJohns]If this trade doesn't happen by Wednesday, it's not going to.

QUOTE]

Bold statment, claiming that if a trade involving draft picks does not happen by wednesday that it most likley never happen.

AZLouis
06-25-2006, 11:44 AM
I think Phoenix would be much better trying to package James Jones and their two picks this year with Kurt Thomas to a team five million or more under the cap in hopes of lessening their payroll by five to ten million.

I agree. I like your JR Smith idea. I lobbied that one a few weeks ago to no response at central.

I'd hate to rid of Jones but Smith has some promise. Even the Spurs wanted him and tried to trade Barry away.

Byron Scott on JR Smith:

"The one thing I'm not going to tolerate is attitude, especially from a 19-year-old. I've got kids older than him."

AZLouis
06-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Magloire is supposedly out in Milwaukee.

It would never happen but..

Jones/KT for Magloire would work.

It'd get KT back in the East, Magloire would again be the #1 center and Jones would help open up the floor for Redd.

Kori Ellis
06-25-2006, 11:47 AM
There's tons of rumors regarding this trade, including that it might be a huge blockbuster deal involving 4 teams. The Sonics are trying to make a big move this summer and put a "star" on the team with Ray. Management thinks Rashard hasn't be giving full effort and doesn't improve on D -- add to that the fact he wants to opt out after next season and seek a max deal.

There's rumors that the trade might include moving Ridnour and one of the young centers, as well as Rashard and Fortson.

AZLouis
06-25-2006, 11:53 AM
You're not supposed to say "never".

But I would like to think that Fortson will never wear a Suns uni. What he did to Zarko Whatevershislastnameisapa made him public enemy #1 in Phoenix.

Zarko was on his way to becoming a real good player and since hasn't been the same.

Plus wasn't he suing Phoenix or Colangelo for slander?

Cant_Be_Faded
06-25-2006, 12:00 PM
There's tons of rumors regarding this trade, including that it might be a huge blockbuster deal involving 4 teams. The Sonics are trying to make a big move this summer and put a "star" on the team with Ray. Management thinks Rashard hasn't be giving full effort and doesn't improve on D -- add to that the fact he wants to opt out after next season and seek a max deal.

There's rumors that the trade might include moving Ridnour and one of the young centers, as well as Rashard and Fortson.

Like Robert Swift?

Bob Lanier
06-25-2006, 12:07 PM
I'd like this trade for the Suns.

Danny Fortson to the Pistons? :cheer :drool:

Kori Ellis
06-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Like Robert Swift?

Swift or Petro.

Kori Ellis
06-25-2006, 12:10 PM
You're not supposed to say "never".

But I would like to think that Fortson will never wear a Suns uni. What he did to Zarko Whatevershislastnameisapa made him public enemy #1 in Phoenix.

Zarko was on his way to becoming a real good player and since hasn't been the same.

Plus wasn't he suing Phoenix or Colangelo for slander?

Danny's $6M+ expiring contract will probably make them forget all about the Caparkapa incident.

StylisticS
06-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Why would they get rid of Barbosa? Who would then backup Nash? If Nash goes down for any significant time, would you have to rely on Diaw to be your point guard? You know he won't play 48 minutes, so who will backup Diaw if that situation was to happen. I don't know about this proposed trade.

PhxDog
06-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Danny's $6M+ expiring contract will probably make them forget all about the Caparkapa incident.
I'm sure they'll take his contract. I think it's more likely he'll get the year off than a Suns uniform, though.

I can't see the Suns moving Barbosa if they don't get a veteran guard back in the deal. And after the McDyess business, I don't think they'll trade for a rising UFA if they don't get some advance assurance he'll be sticking around.

Other than that, these rumors make sense, kind of. With Diaw's extension looming, the Suns need to do something to get under the tax level.

AZLouis
06-25-2006, 02:11 PM
PhxDog,

Supposing this deal goes through and Lewis doesn't get an extension...

That could possibley open up $17 million after next season. Lewis' $10 million and Fortson's $6.9.

ducks
06-25-2006, 03:42 PM
if they lose their backup point
beno could be traded for atleast the 21 pick of the suns
maybe even the 28 pick

not number 10 though

Rip-Hamilton32
06-25-2006, 04:34 PM
hmm.i don't think that either team will really benifit from the trade..phx is already small and yet they want to get smaller...

Nashfan
06-25-2006, 08:26 PM
Rip-Hamilton32,

They wouldn't get smaller as Marion is 6' 7" and Lewis is 6' 10". Not sure I like this trading Marion though. I know we cannot afford all these max players and still be under the luxury cap as Sarver has stated he would like to stay under. Coach keeps denying the trade but who knows. Guess we will know by Wednesday when the draft arrives. I do know that we need a back up point guard and Barbosa is not a point guard in my opinion. He is a small shooting guard. He has proven he cannot back up Nash and run a team so we will see. If we get the number ten pick and keep our number twenty-one we should be able to find a better back up than what Barbosa has been giving us. Such fun in the off season!